Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Historical Films. 02:42 - Nov 13 with 7321 viewsPommyhoop

Just watched a couple of really good ones..
'' The Imitation Game '' and ''Mr Turner''.
Both were excellent and well worth a watch IMO.
Any faves or recommendations?

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Historical Films. on 08:16 - Dec 6 with 1929 viewspaulparker

Historical Films. on 16:50 - Dec 5 by AgedR

"And who the hell do you think is coming to wipe out your little command? The Grenadier Guards?"

Absolute quality...

Can we not have a thread on great Zulu quotes?

"Sixty , sir, I think we have dropped around sixty "

"That leaves us just 3940 to go "

Sargent Bourne - a prayers as good as a bayonet on a day like this

Can I also add a bridge to far as well to good historical films ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Historical Films. on 08:35 - Dec 6 with 1925 viewsjamois

I'm Spartacus

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Historical Films. on 08:59 - Dec 6 with 1911 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Downfall

Bruno Ganz (sp) should have won an Oscar.

Must have seen Zulu 30 times and I still watch it when ever I see it.

Brilliant film with a stirring John Barry score

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Historical Films. on 09:10 - Dec 6 with 1904 viewsDWQPR

Some great films mentioned here. Recently saw The Imitation Game and the Theory of Everything, typically British in their screenplay, very understated, which makes them all the more believable. Give Hollywood the script for both and they would have you believe that Alan Turing was a cross-dressing Nazi sympathiser who suddenly was converted by Kiera Knightly to go straight on both accounts and that Sir Stephen Hawking would somehow be racing his wheelchair in NASCAR races every other weekend.

Also enjoyed Thirteen Days and JFK and without doubt Schindlers List, which if you have read Kennelly's book it is a must read. Am currently interested in the events of the War of the Roses leading up to the English Civil War and would love to know if anyone can recommend any decent films that cover these periods.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Historical Films. on 09:19 - Dec 6 with 1895 viewsPommyhoop

Historical Films. on 09:10 - Dec 6 by DWQPR

Some great films mentioned here. Recently saw The Imitation Game and the Theory of Everything, typically British in their screenplay, very understated, which makes them all the more believable. Give Hollywood the script for both and they would have you believe that Alan Turing was a cross-dressing Nazi sympathiser who suddenly was converted by Kiera Knightly to go straight on both accounts and that Sir Stephen Hawking would somehow be racing his wheelchair in NASCAR races every other weekend.

Also enjoyed Thirteen Days and JFK and without doubt Schindlers List, which if you have read Kennelly's book it is a must read. Am currently interested in the events of the War of the Roses leading up to the English Civil War and would love to know if anyone can recommend any decent films that cover these periods.

Not a film but the TV series 'The White Queen' is set during the War of the Roses.
I thought it was very good and well worth a watch..

I believe it's English made too.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2015 9:20]

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Historical Films. on 10:00 - Dec 6 with 1875 viewsBrianMcCarthy

On the other hand, any film with joyless robot Richard Burton in it is to be avoided. He would make a spin in a lift seem like the descent into Dante's Hell.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Historical Films. on 10:11 - Dec 6 with 1870 viewsjohncharles

Winstanley. Most authentic film about the English civil war

Strong and stable my arse.

Historical Films. on 10:25 - Dec 6 with 1861 viewspeejaybee

" Cromwell" Worth watching.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Login to get fewer ads

Historical Films. on 10:26 - Dec 6 with 1861 views1BobbyHazell

Historical Films. on 14:24 - Dec 5 by onlyrinmoray

"The Lives of others" a German film ( with subtitles) about what life was like in East Germany under the Stasi great story. One of my top 10 films

Love that film.

Imitation Game as well, I'd never really seen much of Cumberbatch but he was excellent.

Loved JFK as a youth, an early wake up call that sometimes, just sometimes, the establishment may not always be telling us the truth!
Historical Films. on 10:31 - Dec 6 with 1850 viewssuperstan

Battle of Britain.
Historical Films. on 10:46 - Dec 6 with 1844 viewsBrianMcCarthy

633 Squadron was on RTE2 yesterday. Notable for phenomenally bad Thunderbirds graphics and phenomenally good Maria Perschey close-ups. If I had had the time to sit down and watch it I may never have gotten up again.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Historical Films. on 13:50 - Dec 6 with 1805 viewsHadders

The recent film Suffragette is fascinating and packed with atmospheric period detail. A clip of real footage at the end is very moving.
Historical Films. on 14:07 - Dec 6 with 1798 viewsTheBlob

Has there ever been an accurate historical movie?
Certainly none involving Mel Gibson.
Charge of The Light Brigade may have come close,if you ignore the trendy leftie overtones.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Historical Films. on 15:07 - Dec 6 with 1773 viewsscot1963

I can only think of The Charge of the Light Brigade as well. Funny but I always remember C Aubrey Smith as being in that film as one of the officers but he's not even in it (he died in 1948!) - I associate him with Lord Cardigan somehow but don't think he was ever cast as him when I look at his imdb
[Post edited 6 Dec 2015 15:16]
Historical Films. on 15:18 - Dec 6 with 1755 viewsTheBlob

Historical Films. on 15:07 - Dec 6 by scot1963

I can only think of The Charge of the Light Brigade as well. Funny but I always remember C Aubrey Smith as being in that film as one of the officers but he's not even in it (he died in 1948!) - I associate him with Lord Cardigan somehow but don't think he was ever cast as him when I look at his imdb
[Post edited 6 Dec 2015 15:16]

Yes,it's the moustache that fools everyone.

The Elephant Man was pretty good,as well as one can make a judgement of those times.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2015 15:23]

Historical Films. on 15:51 - Dec 6 with 1703 viewskingo

Breaker Morant set in the Boer War is one of my favourites and shows how 3 Aussie troopers were executed for following their orders, as it was politically convenient

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Historical Films. on 17:18 - Dec 6 with 1673 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Historical Films. on 14:07 - Dec 6 by TheBlob

Charge of The Light Brigade may have come close,if you ignore the trendy leftie overtones.

Gallipoli?
Historical Films. on 20:51 - Dec 6 with 1636 viewsBucksRanger

Historical Films. on 14:07 - Dec 6 by TheBlob

Apocalypto?
Historical Films. on 22:33 - Dec 6 with 1600 viewsisawqpratwcity

Historical Films. on 17:18 - Dec 6 by Hoop_Du_Jour

Gallipoli?

"The disastrous charge at The Nek that took place on August 7, 1915 was actually authorized by an Australian officer, not a British one, as depicted in the film. This is a decision that Peter Weir now regrets as he acknowledges that the British made just as valiant a contribution to the campaign as the Australians did."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082432/?ref_=nv_sr_3

One mate told me he came out of the cinema "looking for a pom to punch", such were the anti-British feelings generated by this film.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Historical Films. on 22:44 - Dec 6 with 1589 viewsTheBlob

I know it's Tom Cruise but Valkyrie was pretty good.

Yield To The Night starring Diana Dors - the Ruth Ellis murder case was very absorbing.

Historical Films. on 22:53 - Dec 6 with 1586 viewsLythamR

As far as 2nd world war is concerned i dont think they come much better than "Enemy at the Gate" or as far as I can tell more accurate without obvious spin or bias.

Anonymous was good if you like a bit of shakespeare, although its certainly contentious
Historical Films. on 23:02 - Dec 6 with 1576 viewsDorse

Well done everyone for resisting the urge to include 70s, ahem, 'art films' in the list. Kudos all round.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Historical Films. on 23:26 - Dec 6 with 1567 viewsisawqpratwcity

For the psychopaths amongst us, I particularly enjoyed Dominic West playing (any relation?) Fred West in "Appropriate Adult" with Emily Watson, and Stephen Rea and Donald Sutherland ("You know, the two of you together would make a wonderful human being!") in "Citizen X".

Actually, for that matter, "10 Rillington Place", too.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2015 23:32]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Historical Films. on 23:52 - Dec 6 with 1547 viewsjohncharles

Just watched a film called '71 on film 4. It's about a soldier who gets separated from his unt in Belfast during the troubles. Pretty good I thought. Brutal and chaotic.

Strong and stable my arse.

Historical Films. on 00:10 - Dec 7 with 1539 viewsPunteR

Historical Films. on 23:52 - Dec 6 by johncharles

Just watched a film called '71 on film 4. It's about a soldier who gets separated from his unt in Belfast during the troubles. Pretty good I thought. Brutal and chaotic.

I saw that the other night. Good film.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024