Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road 12:56 - Sep 5 with 9708 viewsloftboy

Usually a decent pub for a reasonable price pint, except they seemed to have handed it over to the bloody egg chasing fraternity for the next month, upper class,chinless pricks who seem to think everyone wants to here their tales of rogering cuthbert-smythe at boarding school.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 17:51 - Sep 8 with 2510 viewsbob566

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 17:32 - Sep 8 by Northernr

That's what Gerry said. Basically the Crown was entirely reliant on the Saturdays to make Sky pay as nobody goes in there to watch it during the week. That in turn meant the first £1,400 of his Saturday each month wasn't his - he had to sell £1,400 worth of stuff before he'd even paid to have the TV on. This way they still have the Saturday lunch time and Champions League games.

Sucks for us though as we loved the two Sky box set up in there.

and I'm sure the crown will be delighted with the blowins for the next six weeks topping up the coffers.

I quite like the rugby world cup. Sure you can pick a match which is one sided and pointless but somebody has to make up the numbers. Sure at football world cups its normally the same. Scores mightn't be as big a gulf but the performances are. Watching west Germany put four or five past Jamaica.

Maybe the crown could leave the football on until the knock out stages when the games get good.

Do you watch champions league games Clive. Same crap there. Cluj vs Arsenal. Who gives a toss but the publicans will still have it on even though you could have wolves playing boro or a half decent championship match.

personally I like the rugby world cup. You can't tell me that you didn't enjoy when Wilkinson put that kick over vs Australia to win it for England Clive. You might be a bad example been a rugby league boy but I bet even most of the die hard football fans revelled that day.
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 18:11 - Sep 8 with 2477 viewsMoonshineSteve

Nah, he's a miserable sod who only likes the bish-bash-bosh version. He would have preferred it if we'd lost. Given him something else to moan about the proper version of the game.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 19:04 - Sep 8 with 2432 viewsconnell10

Alot of pubs i go in just have dodgy streams of all the prem games with foreign coms! I thought most pubs did this.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 19:30 - Sep 8 with 2406 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 14:27 - Sep 8 by paulparker

Yep , spot on every single pub will have it and p1ss most off there custom base
it does my head in

My local has all the Prem games advertised, 90% of us regulars come in and watch the football , ( we have our own 1st scorer comp, prediction league etc , etc )
yet a couple of months back some random couple came in during the mersey side derby and insisted that Scotland vs France rugby game be shown, they got there way just sitting there nursing a diet coke between them ,

No offence, but I assume you and your chums have told the landlord where to stick his pub?

If you haven't, then sorry amigo, absolutely no sympathy from me.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 21:17 - Sep 8 with 2333 viewsGloryHunter

Every rugby World Cup I think, I'll have a look at this - they'll explain it to me, and I'll get to understand why people find it interesting. But they never do. They never explain the rules. I don't think they know what the rules are themselves.
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 21:23 - Sep 8 with 2324 viewsWilloW4

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 21:17 - Sep 8 by GloryHunter

Every rugby World Cup I think, I'll have a look at this - they'll explain it to me, and I'll get to understand why people find it interesting. But they never do. They never explain the rules. I don't think they know what the rules are themselves.

A fat bloke normally, goes into a scrummage/ ruck.. Gives away a penalty.. Offside screams a poncey bbc voice..and so it goes on..!
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 21:26 - Sep 8 with 2317 viewsBlackCrowe

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 21:17 - Sep 8 by GloryHunter

For me it's a bit like cricket, you have to have a fairly constant engagement to understand the nuances but for me just know about 70% of the rules is enough to give me immense pleasure.

Also with players, I have little clue as to what clubs England rugby and cricket internationals play for, but i know enough to just about know their strengths and weaknesses and how they should be used/what they can do.

Not much help I'm afraid.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 21:36 - Sep 8 with 2296 viewsGloryHunter

If you didn't know anything about football, and watched your first game on TV, you would pretty quickly have it explained to you. Slo-mo replays of fouls, offside-line graphics, even "goal line technology" now. But with rugby, they don't bother to even TRY to explain it. They just assume you're a public school Tarquin. Fcuk 'em.
Login to get fewer ads

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 21:46 - Sep 8 with 2285 viewsBlackCrowe

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 21:36 - Sep 8 by GloryHunter

If you didn't know anything about football, and watched your first game on TV, you would pretty quickly have it explained to you. Slo-mo replays of fouls, offside-line graphics, even "goal line technology" now. But with rugby, they don't bother to even TRY to explain it. They just assume you're a public school Tarquin. Fcuk 'em.

Such one-eyed twaddle. My son is at the local comprehensive, they play rugby and to a pretty good standard. Does that make him a public school tarquin? I'm confused.
Lose the inverted snobbery, life's much better.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 22:01 - Sep 8 with 2268 viewshamptonhillhoop

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 21:46 - Sep 8 by BlackCrowe

Such one-eyed twaddle. My son is at the local comprehensive, they play rugby and to a pretty good standard. Does that make him a public school tarquin? I'm confused.
Lose the inverted snobbery, life's much better.

On a purely selfish note, living where I live, England games at Twickenham when Rangers are at home cause me huge grief. For the World Cup though they've decided to shut the A316 during matches and turn it into a into a huge coach park. What I don't understand is that there's not going to be any more people there than usual, so I really can't see the point. Hardly any of the pubs round here show football, some used to proudly proclaim themselves football free zones, they're an odd bunch, Rugby fans
Oh well, it was my decision to move here
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 09:54 - Sep 9 with 2151 viewsrobith

There are some really great rugby bloggers and journos outside of the mainstream channels. as an Ireland fan Murray Kinsella's work on analysis is absolutely sensational, have a read of this:

http://www.the42.ie/analysis-ireland-defence-defeat-joe-schmidt-2315000-Sep2015/
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 09:57 - Sep 9 with 2148 viewsrobith

Also amazed at all these stories of how easy it is to get rugby on the telly on in pubs - in 2009 I couldn't get an empty pub in Bethnal Green to turn off a Charlie Chaplin film on channel 4 to show the first Lions test.
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 10:34 - Sep 9 with 2126 viewsclassof93

I always wondered why pubs or anyone for that matter can't get foreign satellite TV. Seems unfair that someone in Europe or the USA can watch English premier league football for a fraction of the price that UK residents have to pay. Surely it must be against some EU law on freedom of capital or something!
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 11:08 - Sep 9 with 2084 viewsrobith

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 10:34 - Sep 9 by classof93

I always wondered why pubs or anyone for that matter can't get foreign satellite TV. Seems unfair that someone in Europe or the USA can watch English premier league football for a fraction of the price that UK residents have to pay. Surely it must be against some EU law on freedom of capital or something!

They can, a publican won a court case.

So then Sky forced the premier league to limit the number of games they sold overseas making it less worth the hassle
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 11:39 - Sep 9 with 2046 viewspaulparker

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 19:30 - Sep 8 by PlanetHonneywood

No offence, but I assume you and your chums have told the landlord where to stick his pub?

If you haven't, then sorry amigo, absolutely no sympathy from me.

Mate the landlady is a proper rat bag a real nasty piece of work who hates us regulars , and we hate her
she is fat, sweaty & lazy and only cares about how many cra p meals she can serve ,
she is that fat & stupid she put the pool table in front of the Big screen , and has 1 member of staff serving the bar which always leaves you waiting 5 minutes for a drink,
its could be a decent pub as we usually get a good group of 20 in there on saturday & sunday afternoons and have a good laugh, problem is the nearest pub has been closed down and turned into a mosque leaving the other nearest pub a 30 minute walk
she knows we are stuck there which is why she is a kunt

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 12:40 - Sep 9 with 1937 viewsPommyhoop

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 11:39 - Sep 9 by paulparker

Mate the landlady is a proper rat bag a real nasty piece of work who hates us regulars , and we hate her
she is fat, sweaty & lazy and only cares about how many cra p meals she can serve ,
she is that fat & stupid she put the pool table in front of the Big screen , and has 1 member of staff serving the bar which always leaves you waiting 5 minutes for a drink,
its could be a decent pub as we usually get a good group of 20 in there on saturday & sunday afternoons and have a good laugh, problem is the nearest pub has been closed down and turned into a mosque leaving the other nearest pub a 30 minute walk

A mosque?? Jeeze ,it used to be Maccy Dee's they were all changing into when I was in Blighty.
Sign of the times I spose..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 13:42 - Sep 9 with 1891 viewsrunningman75

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 12:40 - Sep 9 by Pommyhoop

A mosque?? Jeeze ,it used to be Maccy Dee's they were all changing into when I was in Blighty.

A pub in Edgware Road near Church street Market has just become a shisha lounge.
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 14:47 - Sep 9 with 1854 viewsNorthernr

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 12:40 - Sep 9 by Pommyhoop

This thread is not going in that direction.
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 14:49 - Sep 9 with 1849 viewsPommyhoop

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 14:47 - Sep 9 by Northernr

This thread is not going in that direction.

What , you a Burger King man Clive?

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 04:13 - Sep 10 with 1751 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 11:39 - Sep 9 by paulparker

I was about to type that you need a good kicking, but then I reminded myself of a time when I was living in Pimlico.

I went to a pub to watch a game and could not believe how shite it was. Then in walked a bloke with a QPR t-shirt. A year later I said to the Rfosi, 'Why are we still coming here, its shite?"

He replied something along the lines that he thought I liked it. Ironically, as he has been living in the area longer, I thought it was his local. Point being, maybe you and your chums should have a natter as you might find the others want to go elsewhere.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 09:02 - Sep 10 with 1674 viewsMetallica_Hoop

This is a big hole in the ground too now F'kin crossrail.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 09:04 - Sep 10 with 1673 viewsTW_R

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 16:28 - Sep 8 by Metallica_Hoop

I despise that place, for me it was my incarnation of the Marquee and when I think of the amazing nights there I shake my head in sorrow and feel like weeping.

Ok maybe I don't but I'm still fk'ed off they closed the club. 'Gigantic' Rock/Indie/metal bit of hip hop 6am Sunday morning finish and a 6ft4" beautiful Danish Barmaid called Anne whom I knew. Good times.

Was thinking exactly the same thing. Saw so many good gigs there - Crue, Aerosmith, Love/Hate (a few times), Black Crowes, LA Guns, Johnny Diesel, Baby Animals, Screaming Jets etc etc. And some not so good - Sea Hags and Enuff Z'nuff spring to mind. By far the best venue in London at the time. I'm still f*cked off they closed it too.
Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 09:19 - Sep 10 with 1661 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 09:04 - Sep 10 by TW_R

Was thinking exactly the same thing. Saw so many good gigs there - Crue, Aerosmith, Love/Hate (a few times), Black Crowes, LA Guns, Johnny Diesel, Baby Animals, Screaming Jets etc etc. And some not so good - Sea Hags and Enuff Z'nuff spring to mind. By far the best venue in London at the time. I'm still f*cked off they closed it too.

Enuff Z'nuff Blimey that is a name I haven't heard for nearly 20 years.

Do you remember that corridor with all the memorabilia on it by the cloakroom? You could smell the musical history seeping out of the posters. (over the fags and old beer)

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 10:03 - Sep 10 with 1631 viewspaulparker

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 04:13 - Sep 10 by PlanetHonneywood

I was about to type that you need a good kicking, but then I reminded myself of a time when I was living in Pimlico.

I went to a pub to watch a game and could not believe how shite it was. Then in walked a bloke with a QPR t-shirt. A year later I said to the Rfosi, 'Why are we still coming here, its shite?"

He replied something along the lines that he thought I liked it. Ironically, as he has been living in the area longer, I thought it was his local. Point being, maybe you and your chums should have a natter as you might find the others want to go elsewhere.

i know what your saying , but is staggering distance and most of us are only allowed out for Saturday & Sunday afternoons
as i say its a good pub which we have a laugh in , have a bet, watch the footie , we have a good mix of supporters of Darlington, Palace, Utd, Liverpool, Everton, Birmingham, Coventry, and QPR (me) so the banter is good
we even organise our own raffles and sunday meat draws, as well as swap chutneys , runner beans, jams ,homemade pork scratchings ( its the country, folks ) as the landlady is an ar se and cant even bothered to russle up a few roast potatoes on a sunday (see previous post) if she did she would more than likely sit on them
the only other decent pubs for us are in town where you have the 20 somethings and there hipster beards drinking Peroni and commenting on how messi is a sick player,
they are all plastic arsenal, liverpool, utd , fans and no one would pay a cab fare to go for that
going back to the Rugby thing its everywhere here in Northampton, its the towns number 1 sport and all you see on a daily basis is plums wandering around in there saints tops so come the world cup its going to be nightmare of epic proportions

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 10:24 - Sep 10 with 1617 viewsTW_R

Having a pint in the montagu Pyke on the charring cross road on 09:19 - Sep 10 by Metallica_Hoop

Enuff Z'nuff Blimey that is a name I haven't heard for nearly 20 years.

Do you remember that corridor with all the memorabilia on it by the cloakroom? You could smell the musical history seeping out of the posters. (over the fags and old beer)

Yeah - I think there's a good reason why you haven't heard that name for so long.

I do remember the memorabilia over the walls. Just going into the foyer was amazing. There was always a buzz to the place. I loved the Marquee sign at the back of the stage too. And sticking to the floor if you stood still for too long.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024