Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swans players killed in The Great War 22:58 - Sep 7 with 18613 viewsWitneyjack

I know I have probably left it too late but I am travelling to Ypres on Friday with three friends on another war graves visit. I've tried a couple of Professor Farmer's books but have been unable to find the names of any Swansea Town players or staff killed during the First World War. I thought that if any were buried in Flanders I could include it in our itinerary and lay a wreath etc.
If anybody has any info or knowledge, I would appreciate their help.

Thanks.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 10:23 - Sep 16 with 2562 viewsLohengrin

Swans players killed in The Great War on 10:17 - Sep 16 by Witneyjack

Am just back from my trip and am pleased to say I managed to visit Mitchell and Bulcock's graves and leave a small posie of poppies at each. I have taken a number of photos of each (see my avatar) and will contact Phil direct on who to send them to and how we move this idea forward.

Excellent! Good man.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Swans players killed in The Great War on 11:25 - Sep 16 with 2539 viewsWitneyjack

Swans players killed in The Great War on 10:23 - Sep 16 by Lohengrin

Excellent! Good man.

If the Trust/Club wanted to pay for 4 wreaths , I would be more than happy to make a special 30 hour trip to all 4 graves and lay them.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 11:48 - Sep 16 with 2532 viewsLohengrin

Swans players killed in The Great War on 11:25 - Sep 16 by Witneyjack

If the Trust/Club wanted to pay for 4 wreaths , I would be more than happy to make a special 30 hour trip to all 4 graves and lay them.

If that's what you are planning on doing then my hat's off to you, sir.

A ground collection could be organised to meet all expenses for that. Perhaps we could get The Evening Post on board too?

Swans players killed in The Great War on 21:01 - Sep 19 with 2468 viewsWitneyjack

Swans players killed in The Great War on 11:48 - Sep 16 by Lohengrin

If that's what you are planning on doing then my hat's off to you, sir.

A ground collection could be organised to meet all expenses for that. Perhaps we could get The Evening Post on board too?

Cheers Loh,

I have the utmost respect for those that served in World War One and I feel anything I can do to commemorate them is a small thing compared to the sacrifices they made.

I've made the offer to the Trust via Phil, so I'll leave it for them to consider. The photos will be heading over to Phil over the weekend and hopefully we can get that memorial up at the ground.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 12:00 - Oct 17 with 2364 viewsPhil_S

OK folks an update on this - we are on track to unveil a memorial to the players killed during the first world war - this will hopefully take place appropriately on Rememberance Sunday ahead of the Arsenal game

There was some discussion and checking around the names of the players killed during the war and the final answer was there was three

Spencer T Bassett
Joseph Bulcock
Edward Thomas Mitchell
Swans players killed in The Great War on 13:19 - Oct 17 with 2328 viewsLohengrin

Swans players killed in The Great War on 12:00 - Oct 17 by Phil_S

OK folks an update on this - we are on track to unveil a memorial to the players killed during the first world war - this will hopefully take place appropriately on Rememberance Sunday ahead of the Arsenal game

There was some discussion and checking around the names of the players killed during the war and the final answer was there was three

Spencer T Bassett
Joseph Bulcock
Edward Thomas Mitchell

Has the decision been made on the location for the plaque, Phil?

Swans players killed in The Great War on 13:30 - Oct 17 with 2322 viewsPhil_S

Swans players killed in The Great War on 13:19 - Oct 17 by Lohengrin

Has the decision been made on the location for the plaque, Phil?

Yes it will be on the wall at the side of the club shop (or at least it was last time I was told!)
Swans players killed in The Great War on 13:38 - Oct 17 with 2311 viewsWitneyjack

Swans players killed in The Great War on 13:30 - Oct 17 by Phil_S

Yes it will be on the wall at the side of the club shop (or at least it was last time I was told!)

If I can get a ticket for the game Phil, I will be there. What sort of time would the unveiling be?
Login to get fewer ads

Swans players killed in The Great War on 13:52 - Oct 17 with 2294 viewsLe_Swans

Swans players killed in The Great War on 13:38 - Oct 17 by Witneyjack

If I can get a ticket for the game Phil, I will be there. What sort of time would the unveiling be?

Surely the club should be able to sort you out a ticket, seeing as you actually went out to lay wreaths etc. and really got everyone talking about having a memorial of sorts for the players lost in WW1.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 13:55 - Oct 17 with 2288 viewsPhil_S

Swans players killed in The Great War on 13:38 - Oct 17 by Witneyjack

Not sure on time mate but with a 4pm kick off I would hazard a guess at around 2pm
Swans players killed in The Great War on 14:00 - Oct 17 with 2274 viewsLohengrin

Swans players killed in The Great War on 13:55 - Oct 17 by Phil_S

Not sure on time mate but with a 4pm kick off I would hazard a guess at around 2pm

The club should get hold of the Swansea Legion, they'd be happy to provide a Colour Party for the unveiling. Kev Johns would be the man to do the dedication in his capacity as club Chaplain I would think.

Swans players killed in The Great War on 14:07 - Oct 17 with 2256 viewsWitneyjack

Swans players killed in The Great War on 13:52 - Oct 17 by Le_Swans

Surely the club should be able to sort you out a ticket, seeing as you actually went out to lay wreaths etc. and really got everyone talking about having a memorial of sorts for the players lost in WW1.

I'm happy to pay for a ticket, just need to lay my hands on one.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 14:26 - Oct 17 with 2233 viewsLe_Swans

Swans players killed in The Great War on 14:07 - Oct 17 by Witneyjack

I'm happy to pay for a ticket, just need to lay my hands on one.

Hopefully someone on here will be able to help you out then.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 19:50 - Nov 5 with 2094 viewsWitneyjack

Right , I've got a ticket for the match (Thanks Phil) I just need to pick the brains of Planet Swans finest.
As I need to be at the ground for the unveiling of the plaque at 2pm, I will be driving down (rather than being dropped off) with my 80 year old Dad. I hope to be there around 1.30pm and wondered if anybody can advise me where I may be able to park the car (Landore / Brynhyfryd side) on street? Will Cwm Level road have spaces 2 1/2 hrs before kick off?

Does anybody have any ideas? I need to be close enough for us to walk and arrive in time for the unveiling.

Thanks in advance.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 19:56 - Nov 5 with 2087 viewslifelong

Swans players killed in The Great War on 19:50 - Nov 5 by Witneyjack

Right , I've got a ticket for the match (Thanks Phil) I just need to pick the brains of Planet Swans finest.
As I need to be at the ground for the unveiling of the plaque at 2pm, I will be driving down (rather than being dropped off) with my 80 year old Dad. I hope to be there around 1.30pm and wondered if anybody can advise me where I may be able to park the car (Landore / Brynhyfryd side) on street? Will Cwm Level road have spaces 2 1/2 hrs before kick off?

Does anybody have any ideas? I need to be close enough for us to walk and arrive in time for the unveiling.

Thanks in advance.

You should be OK at Cwm Level Road at that time.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:01 - Nov 5 with 2082 viewsWitneyjack

Swans players killed in The Great War on 19:56 - Nov 5 by lifelong

You should be OK at Cwm Level Road at that time.

I thought I should be ok but thanks for the confirmation!!
Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:07 - Nov 5 with 2073 viewslifelong

Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:01 - Nov 5 by Witneyjack

You'll probably have to go towards the top end of the road but there should be room. I normally park up the top end 2 hours before kick off.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:29 - Nov 5 with 2051 views3swan

Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:01 - Nov 5 by Witneyjack

If not you could think of parking in Beaufort Rd.
Early enough to be by the Bowls Club and our Academy.
Slightly more to walk but it's all flat and alongside the river
Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:49 - Nov 5 with 2026 viewsWitneyjack

Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:07 - Nov 5 by lifelong

You'll probably have to go towards the top end of the road but there should be room. I normally park up the top end 2 hours before kick off.

Thanks
Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:51 - Nov 5 with 2020 viewsWitneyjack

Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:29 - Nov 5 by 3swan

If not you could think of parking in Beaufort Rd.
Early enough to be by the Bowls Club and our Academy.
Slightly more to walk but it's all flat and alongside the river

Thanks. It's not very light along the riverbank is it? My Dad has glaucoma so would prefer a walk along the road.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:58 - Nov 5 with 2012 viewsfbreath

You could drop him off at the ground say harvester and then go and park the car either on one of the roads you mentioned or pay to park close by and then do the reverse after the game

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:59 - Nov 5 with 2009 viewsJackfath

Or put it in Morrisons.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Swans players killed in The Great War on 21:01 - Nov 5 with 2005 viewsDr_Winston

Would the park and ride car park be open on a Sunday for a game?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swans players killed in The Great War on 21:10 - Nov 5 with 1994 viewsWitneyjack

Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:58 - Nov 5 by fbreath

You could drop him off at the ground say harvester and then go and park the car either on one of the roads you mentioned or pay to park close by and then do the reverse after the game

He's ok walking with someone, so I'd rather he stayed with me, but thanks for the suggestion.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 22:38 - Nov 5 with 1956 viewsswan65split

I have only just found this thread , as I have been away for bit, I found it quite interesting and like to thank all the contributors and my Respect to those who perished.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024