Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MOTM 23:03 - Mar 25 with 2122 viewsted_hendrix

Just back and although he got sent off I'm going for Yossi Benayoun.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

MOTM on 08:25 - Mar 26 with 498 viewssevenhoop

MOTM on 04:36 - Mar 26 by RangersAreBack

Anyone suggesting Hill for MOTM tonight is a sandwich short of a picnic. Yes he did a nice flick for the goal but his main duty was defence. He was murdered at LB several times in the first half, with the opposition forwards having at least 3 clear sights at goal. Fortunately for us, Wigan did not take them. Appreciate he was playing out of position but not a chance he was MOTM. Not even close.

that RAB, is complete bollox. Have another look and the occassions that you are referring to were where Dunne got 'murdered' and Hill had to save him with fantastic last-ditch tackles. HIll is quite incredible and horribly underrated by so many (as was Faurlin!)
MOTM on 08:46 - Mar 26 with 479 viewsBrianMcCarthy

MOTM on 23:20 - Mar 25 by Antti_Heinola

Hmm... all good saves by Green, but if any of those had gone in I'd have slaughtered him. Should have saved all of them, and did. Looked like he was playing safe after Saturday - pushing hard at the ball rather than trying to catch. The one really good one was when I think it was McLean went one on one just after half time and Green got out to block. The early free kick that looked a goal all the way but drifted wide... Greeno waved that goodbye!

I thought his command and handling of high balls were superb. That's what impressed me the most. The save at the end looked like a beaut too. As you say the first half saves were solid in terms of positioning, a skill that's often overlooked, but none of them should have been left in.

Green gets my MOTM, though, for his sheer agression and confidence.
LTC next
Benny then.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

MOTM on 14:54 - Mar 26 with 403 viewsRangersAreBack

MOTM on 08:25 - Mar 26 by sevenhoop

that RAB, is complete bollox. Have another look and the occassions that you are referring to were where Dunne got 'murdered' and Hill had to save him with fantastic last-ditch tackles. HIll is quite incredible and horribly underrated by so many (as was Faurlin!)

No sevenhoop, this is complete bollox. Dunne had to cover because Hill was out of position.

Take a look at the extended highlights:
4:06 into the video. Hill gets drawn to the centre. Perch in acres of space on the right fires in a shot which is saved by Green.
4:47 Poor play from Morrison concedes possession. Wigan counter. Hill nowhere to be seen at left back. Dunne has to cover but is turned by McClean who fires a shot straight at Green.
7:32 Just before half time. Poor pass from Carroll gifts possession to Wigan who break. Again Hill nowhere to be seen. McClean in acres of space on the right hand side, whistles in a shot inches past post.
13:02 Wigan break. Hill again out of position. However he does redeem himself by tracking back and making a great last-ditch tackle.

To be clear this is not intended as a critique of Hill as last night he was a CB playing out of position at LB. More a critique of the manager for playing him there when Yun was MOTM against ‘Boro. Dunne should not have walked straight back into the team.
MOTM on 15:09 - Mar 26 with 395 viewssimmo

MOTM on 14:54 - Mar 26 by RangersAreBack

No sevenhoop, this is complete bollox. Dunne had to cover because Hill was out of position.

4:06 into the video. Hill gets drawn to the centre. Perch in acres of space on the right fires in a shot which is saved by Green.
4:47 Poor play from Morrison concedes possession. Wigan counter. Hill nowhere to be seen at left back. Dunne has to cover but is turned by McClean who fires a shot straight at Green.
7:32 Just before half time. Poor pass from Carroll gifts possession to Wigan who break. Again Hill nowhere to be seen. McClean in acres of space on the right hand side, whistles in a shot inches past post.
13:02 Wigan break. Hill again out of position. However he does redeem himself by tracking back and making a great last-ditch tackle.

To be clear this is not intended as a critique of Hill as last night he was a CB playing out of position at LB. More a critique of the manager for playing him there when Yun was MOTM against ‘Boro. Dunne should not have walked straight back into the team.

In the first half especially, Hill was left completely isolated by Kranjcar who spent all his time coming inside. Hill was playing both LB and LW most of the half. Remember too he is a 35 year old CB. Not a FB, and he prevented just as many opportunities as the created around him, that recovery tackle 2nd half for example, was world class. I am basing this on watching the entire game, the first half of which he played right in front of me.

I completely agree with your last paragraph though, I would have him over Dunne all day long, I think Dunne has been consitently poor for a while now and he has always played his preferred position.

Green shades MOTM from Clint, IMO

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

MOTM on 15:19 - Mar 26 with 388 viewsRangersAreBack

Good points that raise further question marks over the manager's selection and 1st half tactics. Pairing NK and CH on the left channel was asking for trouble and Wigan exposed it several times in the first half. With better finishing they would have been out of sight by half time. Clearly Harry addressed this at half time because we looked a lot more solid down that flank in the 2nd half. Ultimately CH was selected to play LB (not LW) and, save the flick for the goal, turned in a poor performance in the first half. Not his fault, perhaps, but a fact that means he was nowhere near MOTM. Green, Yossi and (dare I say it) Bobby were all ahead of Hill for that accolade.
MOTM on 16:46 - Mar 26 with 355 viewsPinnerPaul

MOTM on 23:27 - Mar 25 by HollowayRanger

top 3 green hill benny

bottom 3 kranjar barton hughes

that was a tough game and if that were the first leg of playoffs id be very worried about 2nd leg up at wigan!

For that to happen we would need to finish 5th or 6th and Wigan 3rd or 4th - chill!
MOTM on 16:49 - Mar 26 with 353 viewsHarbour

Green
Benny
BZ my top 3
MOTM on 16:52 - Mar 26 with 351 viewsderbyhoop

I'm with RAB on this one. Clint made the goal, a brilliant tackle in 2nd half and settled late on. He was horribly exposed 1st half, where all the Wigan chances came down his side. Didn't get a lot of protection from Niko.
Yossi played well but red card means no motm.
Green was the difference between winning and losing. My motm by a country mile.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Login to get fewer ads

MOTM on 17:04 - Mar 26 with 344 viewsAntti_Heinola

4.47 - Sorry, RAB. Hill has to support going forward when we're in possession! You must take those gambles and make yourself available. Hardly his fault if someone concedes possession. He can't just stand in defence all day - it's not primary school football. Dunne covered because that's his f'n job as the CB on that side!

Totally agree about Yun/Dunne though!

Bare bones.

MOTM on 18:30 - Mar 26 with 321 viewsfrancisbowles

Benayoun for me. Never stopped running and popped up all over the place including in the six yard box to finish, again! Something that we have needed all season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024