Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Life after Death 21:54 - Jan 18 with 22957 viewsLord_Bony

Been reading a bit on this lately.

Do you think when we die that is it,end of story.

Or do you think the spirit lives on?

Would like some views on this.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Life after Death on 12:47 - Jan 26 with 1518 viewsLord_Bony

Good answers guys and I agree.

I am also open to the view there is also an intelligence of design behind it all somewhere behind the scenes,something we do not fully understand yet.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Life after Death on 12:57 - Jan 26 with 1503 viewsexiledclaseboy

If you have to look for proof of your faith then you're doing it wrong.

Poll: Tory leader

Life after Death on 13:13 - Jan 26 with 1495 viewsPhaedrus

Life after Death on 12:47 - Jan 26 by Lord_Bony

I am also open to the view there is also an intelligence of design behind it all somewhere behind the scenes,something we do not fully understand yet.

If there is intelligent design behind evolution, then that intelligence is human. Extinction is the rule, survival is the exception. Man has used his intelligence to shift the odds in his favour, but up until intelligence evolved, only things that were predisposed to survival, the big( or in some cases small) the fast, the strong the resilient etc. Only they survived. I sometimes try and imagine all the weird and wonderful creatures that may have existed in the past but didn't for one reason or another make it. Then my mind goes to darker places, like the scene in alien resurrection when Ripley finds all the experiments that have been conducted trying to clone her, and i think of all the mutant species that may have existed, however briefly. Anything that is alive today has truly stood the test of time.

And what is good Phaedrus, and what is not good. Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Life after Death on 15:32 - Jan 26 with 1456 viewsswanjackal

Life after Death on 12:47 - Jan 26 by Lord_Bony

I can't comment on the metaphysical level, but biologically, ID is a discredited theory, with zero evidence to back it up. Just want to put that out there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Life after Death on 15:51 - Jan 26 with 1455 viewsjacksfullaces

so to sum up:

no one knows

some people can't cope with death (understandably) and are prepared to believe something to give them comfort

some people have a good understanding of science and can explain at least some things about the size and scope of our universe

first lot of people stick their fingers in their ears when feel nasty scientists are unpicking their rather limited but ultimately emotionally charged views

second lot of people are just incredulous at first lot of peoples refuse to accept that they have a belief system based at worst on some rather manipulative control freaks from bygone age or at best from well meaning family too scared to talk about the possible permanence of death to a confused child

first lot of people floundering for answers to nasty scientists start talking about something called faith, occasionally admitting it really means hope, but deciding that faith sounds more certain

scientists wander off knowing they can't win and go slightly mad at 1/ the incomprehension of a vast universe that may have so many forms of life and infinite possibilities of existence 2/ the fact that some people can find and more importantly interpret life on the basis of the evolution of one species and a few entrepreneurs who saw a gap in the market for explanations over the last couple of millennia
Life after Death on 16:43 - Jan 26 with 1440 viewsswanjackal

Life after Death on 15:51 - Jan 26 by jacksfullaces

so to sum up:

no one knows

some people can't cope with death (understandably) and are prepared to believe something to give them comfort

some people have a good understanding of science and can explain at least some things about the size and scope of our universe

first lot of people stick their fingers in their ears when feel nasty scientists are unpicking their rather limited but ultimately emotionally charged views

second lot of people are just incredulous at first lot of peoples refuse to accept that they have a belief system based at worst on some rather manipulative control freaks from bygone age or at best from well meaning family too scared to talk about the possible permanence of death to a confused child

first lot of people floundering for answers to nasty scientists start talking about something called faith, occasionally admitting it really means hope, but deciding that faith sounds more certain

scientists wander off knowing they can't win and go slightly mad at 1/ the incomprehension of a vast universe that may have so many forms of life and infinite possibilities of existence 2/ the fact that some people can find and more importantly interpret life on the basis of the evolution of one species and a few entrepreneurs who saw a gap in the market for explanations over the last couple of millennia

Slightly confused by the last paragraph, in particular the one species quote, could you please break that down.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Life after Death on 17:31 - Jan 26 with 1427 viewsjacksfullaces

Life after Death on 16:43 - Jan 26 by swanjackal

Slightly confused by the last paragraph, in particular the one species quote, could you please break that down.

just that most life after death theories/religion seem to be based on the interpretation that humans on this planet are its singular beneficiaries and it has been developed without much thought about other planets/galaxies/life forms etc

I often wonder whether your average person has given any thought to potential overcrowding in the afterlife when they talk about going off to be with long lost relatives - will that include every person that has ever existed on this planet or others, and at what point down the evolutionary chain are people barred? pre Neanderthal?

oh oh there I go again trying to rationalise things - naughty me - faith, one little word can swat all that aside and allow people to make up what they are happiest with ;)
Life after Death on 17:45 - Jan 26 with 1409 viewsswanjackal

Life after Death on 17:31 - Jan 26 by jacksfullaces

just that most life after death theories/religion seem to be based on the interpretation that humans on this planet are its singular beneficiaries and it has been developed without much thought about other planets/galaxies/life forms etc

I often wonder whether your average person has given any thought to potential overcrowding in the afterlife when they talk about going off to be with long lost relatives - will that include every person that has ever existed on this planet or others, and at what point down the evolutionary chain are people barred? pre Neanderthal?

oh oh there I go again trying to rationalise things - naughty me - faith, one little word can swat all that aside and allow people to make up what they are happiest with ;)

Thanks, that's okay. Carry on.

Login to get fewer ads

Life after Death on 18:21 - Jan 26 with 1394 viewsWarwickHunt

Life after Death on 17:31 - Jan 26 by jacksfullaces

Spot on. One species out of millions on a planet out of more than 170 billion galaxies.

Still, if the thought of being reunited with your cremated auntie Doris somewhere in the ether gives you solace then crack on...

Perhaps she'll bake a cake.
Life after Death on 18:37 - Jan 26 with 1381 viewsApathy

I think god does a ruddy good job under pretty shoddy working conditions

He's f*cking awesome

Goulet

Life after Death on 18:40 - Jan 26 with 1358 viewsswanjackal

Life after Death on 18:21 - Jan 26 by WarwickHunt

Spot on. One species out of millions on a planet out of more than 170 billion galaxies.

Still, if the thought of being reunited with your cremated auntie Doris somewhere in the ether gives you solace then crack on...

Perhaps she'll bake a cake.

If there is an afterlife, family cooking will be avoided just in case there is food poisoning in the afterlife, and end up on the slab a second time. Which leads to even more potential questions.

Do people believe that those in the afterlife can die? Therefore, do the afterlife have an afterlife? How long does this loop continue? If the answer is no to the first two questions, why?

Life after Death on 18:43 - Jan 26 with 1349 viewsWarwickHunt

Life after Death on 18:37 - Jan 26 by Apathy

I think god does a ruddy good job under pretty shoddy working conditions

He's f*cking awesome

Pffft. Six day week. Slacker.
Life after Death on 19:05 - Jan 26 with 1330 viewsShaky

Life after Death on 18:40 - Jan 26 by swanjackal

If there is an afterlife, family cooking will be avoided just in case there is food poisoning in the afterlife, and end up on the slab a second time. Which leads to even more potential questions.

Do people believe that those in the afterlife can die? Therefore, do the afterlife have an afterlife? How long does this loop continue? If the answer is no to the first two questions, why?

Here's a couple of Jesus quotes:

3. "If your leaders say to you, 'Look, the (Father's) kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the (Father's) kingdom is within you and it is outside you. "

57. "The Father's kingdom is like a person who has [good] seed. His enemy came during the night and sowed weeds among the good seed. The person did not let the workers pull up the weeds, but said to them, 'No, otherwise you might go to pull up the weeds and pull up the wheat along with them.' For on the day of the harvest the weeds will be conspicuous, and will be pulled up and burned."

http://gnosis.org/naghamm/gosthom.html

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Life after Death on 19:11 - Jan 26 with 1317 viewsWarwickHunt

Life after Death on 19:05 - Jan 26 by Shaky

3. "If your leaders say to you, 'Look, the (Father's) kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the (Father's) kingdom is within you and it is outside you. "

57. "The Father's kingdom is like a person who has [good] seed. His enemy came during the night and sowed weeds among the good seed. The person did not let the workers pull up the weeds, but said to them, 'No, otherwise you might go to pull up the weeds and pull up the wheat along with them.' For on the day of the harvest the weeds will be conspicuous, and will be pulled up and burned."

Here's a Captain Beefheart quote -

There are forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
Life after Death on 19:15 - Jan 26 with 1314 viewsShaky

And to those who believe this thread has substantially been a load of dogmatic posturing with a large dose of semantic drivel plus some nonsensical literary criticism, I say rubbish; 'cause I believe it has given me the interpretation to this saying:

50. "If they say to you, 'Where have you come from?' say to them, 'We have come from the light, from the place where the light came into being by itself, established [itself], and appeared in their image.'

If they say to you, 'Is it you?' say, 'We are its children, and we are the chosen of the living Father.'

If they ask you, 'What is the evidence of your Father in you?' say to them, 'It is motion and rest.'"

Misology -- It's a bitch

Life after Death on 19:19 - Jan 26 with 1301 viewsWarwickHunt

Life after Death on 19:15 - Jan 26 by Shaky

And to those who believe this thread has substantially been a load of dogmatic posturing with a large dose of semantic drivel plus some nonsensical literary criticism, I say rubbish; 'cause I believe it has given me the interpretation to this saying:

50. "If they say to you, 'Where have you come from?' say to them, 'We have come from the light, from the place where the light came into being by itself, established [itself], and appeared in their image.'

If they say to you, 'Is it you?' say, 'We are its children, and we are the chosen of the living Father.'

If they ask you, 'What is the evidence of your Father in you?' say to them, 'It is motion and rest.'"

I worry about you sometimes, Shaky old fruit.

I really do.
Life after Death on 19:26 - Jan 26 with 1291 viewsShaky

Life after Death on 19:19 - Jan 26 by WarwickHunt

I worry about you sometimes, Shaky old fruit.

I really do.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Life after Death on 19:32 - Jan 26 with 1289 viewsswanjackal

Life after Death on 19:05 - Jan 26 by Shaky

How on earth is that an answer to the questions asked?

Life after Death on 19:33 - Jan 26 with 1286 viewsDarran

Life after Death on 19:32 - Jan 26 by swanjackal

Well it's not but it's a Dimi answer.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Life after Death on 19:34 - Jan 26 with 1281 viewsShaky

Life after Death on 19:32 - Jan 26 by swanjackal

57 is pretty clear. He is saying not everybody gets into heaven.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Life after Death on 19:36 - Jan 26 with 1272 viewsswanjackal

Life after Death on 19:34 - Jan 26 by Shaky

57 is pretty clear. He is saying not everybody gets into heaven.

Who was talking about heaven? Talking about an afterlife. There are other theories of afterlife than heaven.

Also which heaven? There is more than one type mentioned in the book.

Life after Death on 19:41 - Jan 26 with 1261 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Do the Swans always win in heaven?

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Life after Death on 19:45 - Jan 26 with 1255 viewsShaky

Life after Death on 19:36 - Jan 26 by swanjackal

Who was talking about heaven? Talking about an afterlife. There are other theories of afterlife than heaven.

Also which heaven? There is more than one type mentioned in the book.

OK fine, we apparently have some issues with definitions.

And since we can seemingly not readily agree even on those there seems little point in this.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Life after Death on 19:47 - Jan 26 with 1248 viewsPhaedrus

Life after Death on 19:41 - Jan 26 by Joe_bradshaw

Do the Swans always win in heaven?

Not on Merseyside. They lose every week. So much to moan about. Swoon.

And what is good Phaedrus, and what is not good. Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Life after Death on 19:48 - Jan 26 with 1237 viewsswanjackal

Life after Death on 19:45 - Jan 26 by Shaky

OK fine, we apparently have some issues with definitions.

And since we can seemingly not readily agree even on those there seems little point in this.

Okay we will go to your version of the afterlife.

Your heaven: Why are some dead things souls/afterlife husks not allowed in? Where do the other dead things souls/afterlife husks go?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024