Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
speedway 20:00 - Oct 13 with 1377 viewsdigswellhoop

allways watch it rye house x owner Len silver has passed aged 93
speedway on 12:12 - Oct 14 with 1194 viewsNoDiddley

Had a greyhound track back in the day, a mate of mine took a ‘flying machine’ for an unofficial trial one Sunday morning, broke its hock at the first bend, put down at the vets 1/2 hour later.
speedway on 13:30 - Oct 14 with 1089 viewskernowhoop

Len Silver - a very big name in speedway. I watched speedway regularly from about 1962 to 1967. He retired frrom riding in that period. A long and very full life!
speedway on 14:59 - Oct 14 with 998 viewsBoston

speedway on 12:12 - Oct 14 by NoDiddley

Had a greyhound track back in the day, a mate of mine took a ‘flying machine’ for an unofficial trial one Sunday morning, broke its hock at the first bend, put down at the vets 1/2 hour later.

Many, many years ago, my father in law (greyhound owner, breeder, trainer), was throwing his cap up in the air for a particularly promising young dog to chase and catch. Unfortunately said cap landed on the dogs head, startled and unable to see, the animal took off at a million miles an hour, only stopped by the tree he ran into, killing himself instantly.

I must plead guilty to ruining a few good animals potential when building and operating starting traps for his dogs. My carpentry skills, bungee Heath Robinson contraptions, malfunctioned on more than one occasion.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

speedway on 17:27 - Oct 14 with 916 viewsNoDiddley

speedway on 14:59 - Oct 14 by Boston

Many, many years ago, my father in law (greyhound owner, breeder, trainer), was throwing his cap up in the air for a particularly promising young dog to chase and catch. Unfortunately said cap landed on the dogs head, startled and unable to see, the animal took off at a million miles an hour, only stopped by the tree he ran into, killing himself instantly.

I must plead guilty to ruining a few good animals potential when building and operating starting traps for his dogs. My carpentry skills, bungee Heath Robinson contraptions, malfunctioned on more than one occasion.

That mate was ex QPR & more clubs than Jack Nicklaus fella called Barry Silkman.
speedway on 20:22 - Oct 14 with 798 viewsnumptydumpty

Am bit later to the game than some on here but watched as a school kid in late 70s till about mid 80s in Reading

Reading racers who for some strange reason were one of the ultimate teams of that era

Can't recall names greatly but there was an American called Boog a loo. And was it someone Davis who was top man at the time.

A guy who worked with my dad many years ago, his son couple decades later was a speedway star and sadly passed in an almighty crash. Again can't remember his name except that he was an England star.

All I learnt was don't watch from the corners unless you enjoy a hailstorm of mud, dirt clumps and chiselled stones.

The hot dogs with burnt onions were the best for me !!!

Enjoyed going to the dogs literally also in same stadium.

Both great nights out and very cheap in those days too !!!
[Post edited 14 Oct 20:23]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

speedway on 21:21 - Oct 14 with 723 viewsNed_Kennedys

Used to go to Poole Pirates most Wednesday nights in the 2000s and 2010s: at the time they were the dominant British team and boasted a number of world champions. Best rider I saw was Antonio Lindbäck: absolutely fearless.
A few years ago they voluntarily relegated themselves to the second level for financial reasons and seem win the league most years but choose not to be promoted: funny situation.
Speedway is a good night out.
speedway on 22:31 - Oct 14 with 681 viewsted_hendrix

For years I took my two lads and their two mates from the village to Swindon Speedway on a Saturday night.
Swindon was a big racing circuit and Invariably had plenty of good racing, the late Len Silvers Son Andy Silver rode for Swindon and was a good rider to watch seldom settled for second best.
We travelled all over the country watching and supporting Swindon, but there was always a risk that when you got there the meeting would be cancelled due to bloody rain.

One of Swindon's top riders Australian Leigh Adams Is now confined to a wheelchair as is another ex Australian and Poole rider the once brilliant Darcy Ward.

We were at a meeting one Saturday at Swindon back In 1982 when we got home we heard that one of our riders Martin Hewlett aged just 20 had collapsed and died shortly after the end of the meeting.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

speedway on 22:48 - Oct 14 with 661 viewsNed_Kennedys

speedway on 22:31 - Oct 14 by ted_hendrix

For years I took my two lads and their two mates from the village to Swindon Speedway on a Saturday night.
Swindon was a big racing circuit and Invariably had plenty of good racing, the late Len Silvers Son Andy Silver rode for Swindon and was a good rider to watch seldom settled for second best.
We travelled all over the country watching and supporting Swindon, but there was always a risk that when you got there the meeting would be cancelled due to bloody rain.

One of Swindon's top riders Australian Leigh Adams Is now confined to a wheelchair as is another ex Australian and Poole rider the once brilliant Darcy Ward.

We were at a meeting one Saturday at Swindon back In 1982 when we got home we heard that one of our riders Martin Hewlett aged just 20 had collapsed and died shortly after the end of the meeting.

Darcy Ward was a brilliant rider at Poole: climbed to Grand Prix level very quickly and was a tragedy he got badly injured so young. Went to his benefit testimonial event at Poole and Darcy spoke: very emotional night.
Login to get fewer ads

speedway on 23:20 - Oct 14 with 621 viewsnumptydumpty

speedway on 20:22 - Oct 14 by numptydumpty

Am bit later to the game than some on here but watched as a school kid in late 70s till about mid 80s in Reading

Reading racers who for some strange reason were one of the ultimate teams of that era

Can't recall names greatly but there was an American called Boog a loo. And was it someone Davis who was top man at the time.

A guy who worked with my dad many years ago, his son couple decades later was a speedway star and sadly passed in an almighty crash. Again can't remember his name except that he was an England star.

All I learnt was don't watch from the corners unless you enjoy a hailstorm of mud, dirt clumps and chiselled stones.

The hot dogs with burnt onions were the best for me !!!

Enjoyed going to the dogs literally also in same stadium.

Both great nights out and very cheap in those days too !!!
[Post edited 14 Oct 20:23]

John Davis was the international star.

Lee Richardson was the racer that sadly passed away in a racing crash.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

speedway on 23:55 - Oct 14 with 581 viewsSydneyRs

speedway on 21:21 - Oct 14 by Ned_Kennedys

Used to go to Poole Pirates most Wednesday nights in the 2000s and 2010s: at the time they were the dominant British team and boasted a number of world champions. Best rider I saw was Antonio Lindbäck: absolutely fearless.
A few years ago they voluntarily relegated themselves to the second level for financial reasons and seem win the league most years but choose not to be promoted: funny situation.
Speedway is a good night out.

The idea of winning the league and not choosing promotion probably has some merit in the championship, given the misery suffered by most promoted clubs. Even the ones who do ok still lose most of the time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024