Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Signings & The DOF 21:41 - Oct 5 with 12250 views1JD

I didn’t rate Les as a DOF, but some of the squads and business he put together look next level compared to the squad assembled this summer.

From what I am witnessing, the squad, and certain individual players who cost a lot of money, look woefully undercooked for the level.

I guess the question is, Is this a result of exclusively using data to scout players in tier 2 and tier 3 European leagues. Ie. You might look a superstar in THAT league, but does it translate to THIS league? Or do you simply stand out and look good in stats, BECAUSE the level is bang average?

The lack of ball control of some of these players, and the constant turning over of possession, let alone the complete absence of any kind of athleticism and physicality is not solved through game time in my eyes. These are basic tenets of the level. And we are nowhere near the level.

Once again, as it was under Les, especially in the earlier years, it seems we are under the leadership of a DOF “learning on the job”. I hope we sort ourselves out, but I’m now seriously concerned this is a going to be a mistake too far.
[Post edited 5 Oct 22:37]
Signings & The DOF on 21:51 - Oct 5 with 5640 viewsRangersw12

Talking of turning over possession

[Post edited 5 Oct 21:52]
Signings & The DOF on 22:03 - Oct 5 with 5586 viewsGaryHaddock

Not saying they were the answer either, but Les and Gareth were getting racist tropes and Frank Gallagher memes for better results.
Signings & The DOF on 22:14 - Oct 5 with 5492 viewsbongo_king

Bearing in mind that only about 1 in 3 signings are ever succcessful (at prem level at least), and its early I agree there are some warning signs among this intake.

I split personally split into 3 groups:
1. The "it made sense" group.
Dembele. Played in England, ripped up L1.
Morrison - ditto without the same extent of ripping up.
Nardi. Keepers may be most transferable across leagues, and clearly had his 1 on 1 and passing strengths, though other weaknesses.
Saito. Clear final third potential and basically a free try out to see if it works LT.

2. The "get it, but risky" group.
Varane. Looks like the potential for DMC shield, but untested in England, barely tested in even La Liga 2 (big red flashing light). Bit overpriced for that when we need a solid, consistent DMC starter.
Santos. Free, played lots of games in Portugal. But fundamentally a RWB - why sign him in a back 4 - and not suited for England based on what we've seen so far.

3. The "I don't get it" group.
Madsen. Most expensive signing (probably in years), an 8 / 10 in a system which is never going to accommodated that, clearly a player whose always appreciated time on the ball you generally don't get in champ.
Celar. Penalty box striker for a team which plays 1 striker up front, might be top scorer in Switzerland but 14 in 36 in that league.... is that really good for 1.5m? Ashby. Why develop for someone else a player who seems no great upgrade on Santos?

Ultimately, I agree the "algorithm" is flawed and mistakes have been made... but maybe mainly in terms of how we spent the limited budget we had
Signings & The DOF on 22:18 - Oct 5 with 5457 viewsQPunkR

Signings & The DOF on 22:03 - Oct 5 by GaryHaddock

Not saying they were the answer either, but Les and Gareth were getting racist tropes and Frank Gallagher memes for better results.

1,000 times this. Maybe if Gareth cut his hair and changed his name to Ainsworthsson. Or if Sir Les didn't have the temerity to be black

QPR - "shit but local"

Signings & The DOF on 22:24 - Oct 5 with 5397 viewsQPunkR

Signings & The DOF on 21:51 - Oct 5 by Rangersw12

Talking of turning over possession

[Post edited 5 Oct 21:52]

So we're giving the ball away once every three minutes, basically? Seems way, way more than that tbh

QPR - "shit but local"

Signings & The DOF on 22:42 - Oct 5 with 5215 viewsstainrods_elbow

Signings & The DOF on 22:18 - Oct 5 by QPunkR

1,000 times this. Maybe if Gareth cut his hair and changed his name to Ainsworthsson. Or if Sir Les didn't have the temerity to be black

Please give it up on Les, you trendy twit!
[Post edited 6 Oct 0:13]

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Signings & The DOF on 22:44 - Oct 5 with 5254 viewsJamesB1979

Signings & The DOF on 22:03 - Oct 5 by GaryHaddock

Eh? Gareth’s win record was 18% and Marti is 33%. Marti has earnt our patience. You’re just talking nonsense to make a point.

Les was here for 9 years. Nourry has been here for less than 1.
Signings & The DOF on 22:46 - Oct 5 with 5217 viewsJamesB1979

We were going down before Marti took over. Gareth was one of the worst managers in our history and we’ve had a few. What Marti did last season was incredible.
Login to get fewer ads

Signings & The DOF on 22:51 - Oct 5 with 5109 viewsGaryHaddock

Signings & The DOF on 22:44 - Oct 5 by JamesB1979

Eh? Gareth’s win record was 18% and Marti is 33%. Marti has earnt our patience. You’re just talking nonsense to make a point.

Les was here for 9 years. Nourry has been here for less than 1.

I‘m telling the truth to make a point, per season, which is what counts in when it comes relegation or not.

I like Marti, and think he should stay but his recent form highlights the harshness in which we treated Gareth (and Les) in my opinion.
Signings & The DOF on 22:54 - Oct 5 with 5071 viewsJamesB1979

Signings & The DOF on 22:51 - Oct 5 by GaryHaddock

I‘m telling the truth to make a point, per season, which is what counts in when it comes relegation or not.

I like Marti, and think he should stay but his recent form highlights the harshness in which we treated Gareth (and Les) in my opinion.

Martin has last season to fall back on. Gareth was woeful since day 1. His record and the performances were awful.

Les had 9 years here. I think he was given a fair chance

Nothing you are saying is true
Signings & The DOF on 22:58 - Oct 5 with 5039 viewsRangersw12

Signings & The DOF on 22:51 - Oct 5 by GaryHaddock

Signings & The DOF on 22:58 - Oct 5 with 5028 viewsGaryHaddock

Signings & The DOF on 22:54 - Oct 5 by JamesB1979

Martin has last season to fall back on. Gareth was woeful since day 1. His record and the performances were awful.

Les had 9 years here. I think he was given a fair chance

Nothing you are saying is true

Gareth Season One: Survival
Gareth Season Two: Bottom Three

Marti Season One: Survival
Marti Season Two: Bottom Three

Don’t let the unreasonable hatred of one blind you the failures of the other.
Signings & The DOF on 23:07 - Oct 5 with 4927 viewsJamesB1979

Signings & The DOF on 22:58 - Oct 5 by GaryHaddock

In Gareth’s survival season he got 11 points from 13 games. To compare the 2 is laughable. Anyway, it’s been an awful day, so I’m off to bed.
Signings & The DOF on 23:13 - Oct 5 with 4848 viewsNed_Kennedys

Signings & The DOF on 22:58 - Oct 5 by GaryHaddock

I had more time for Gareth than most but to suggest him and Cifuentes have done similar jobs is stretching reality. Marti has credit in the bank due to the job he did last season: let’s all hope he uses the next 2 weeks to get the team playing well again and winning games.
Signings & The DOF on 23:20 - Oct 5 with 4814 viewsQPunkR

Signings & The DOF on 22:42 - Oct 5 by stainrods_elbow

Please give it up on Les, you trendy twit!
[Post edited 6 Oct 0:13]

The fk are you on about?

QPR - "shit but local"

Signings & The DOF on 00:16 - Oct 6 with 4503 viewsstainrods_elbow

Signings & The DOF on 23:20 - Oct 5 by QPunkR

The fk are you on about?

Wow - you need it spelling out! Dumb as well as aggressively PC.

Playing the race card re Les is just beyond the pale.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Signings & The DOF on 00:33 - Oct 6 with 4500 viewsozexile

Signings & The DOF on 22:24 - Oct 5 by QPunkR

So we're giving the ball away once every three minutes, basically? Seems way, way more than that tbh

Well no because we don't have the ball for 90 mins. We need a stat to show how often we get the ball.
Signings & The DOF on 00:39 - Oct 6 with 4464 viewsnumptydumpty

Ainsworth sadly was awful as a manager. One of our worst in living memories which was sone achievement given our past.

His style was also abysmal. Unfortunately nice guy that Gareth is, his tenure was a ridiculous period of inability and severely unattractive play. We fluked a win at Burnley which was the main reason we stayed up.

Giving him a Swedish name - would have made zero difference. He wasn't up to standard.

Les tried his very best. He was desperate to succeed.

Did well with Warburton. Unfortunately that did not continue and would have appointed Cifuentes as opposed to Beale but Cifuentes would have cost too much when our coffers were very light. If Cifuentes had come then, I feel Les would still be here.

Nothing to do with Les being black. In fact at the time, it seemed we may have actually gone the other way and attempted to be too PC. It never seemed that our feeder youth system under Ramsay and Hall and Furlong ever really did what it was meant to be but the boys stayed in post.

So re the discrimination unfairly against Ainsworth and Les. Can't agree at all. In fact it was the opposite of that I felt....
[Post edited 6 Oct 0:41]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Signings & The DOF on 11:53 - Oct 6 with 3962 viewsQPunkR

Signings & The DOF on 00:16 - Oct 6 by stainrods_elbow

Wow - you need it spelling out! Dumb as well as aggressively PC.

Playing the race card re Les is just beyond the pale.

How am I playing the race card you cretin? I was responding to somebody else talking about the racist tropes he was subjected to. So how else is there to take it but about the colour of his skin exactly? And secondly, your comment shows you think that's absolutely fine. Think that says a lot about you

QPR - "shit but local"

Signings & The DOF on 12:21 - Oct 6 with 3878 viewsQPunkR

Signings & The DOF on 00:39 - Oct 6 by numptydumpty

Ainsworth sadly was awful as a manager. One of our worst in living memories which was sone achievement given our past.

His style was also abysmal. Unfortunately nice guy that Gareth is, his tenure was a ridiculous period of inability and severely unattractive play. We fluked a win at Burnley which was the main reason we stayed up.

Giving him a Swedish name - would have made zero difference. He wasn't up to standard.

Les tried his very best. He was desperate to succeed.

Did well with Warburton. Unfortunately that did not continue and would have appointed Cifuentes as opposed to Beale but Cifuentes would have cost too much when our coffers were very light. If Cifuentes had come then, I feel Les would still be here.

Nothing to do with Les being black. In fact at the time, it seemed we may have actually gone the other way and attempted to be too PC. It never seemed that our feeder youth system under Ramsay and Hall and Furlong ever really did what it was meant to be but the boys stayed in post.

So re the discrimination unfairly against Ainsworth and Les. Can't agree at all. In fact it was the opposite of that I felt....
[Post edited 6 Oct 0:41]

My point was more the other way round, that it feels to me that if Marti were Martin Sixfields or something would be escape with so little blame from them fans.

I'm definitely not trying to claim that Ainsworth was a good manager for us, I'm not that sadistic!

Also not saying anything about Les' ability or lack as DOF, was just referring to the personal and racist attacks he received which for me were 'beyond the pale'

QPR - "shit but local"

Signings & The DOF on 12:51 - Oct 6 with 3714 viewsRangersw12

Signings & The DOF on 12:21 - Oct 6 by QPunkR

My point was more the other way round, that it feels to me that if Marti were Martin Sixfields or something would be escape with so little blame from them fans.

I'm definitely not trying to claim that Ainsworth was a good manager for us, I'm not that sadistic!

Also not saying anything about Les' ability or lack as DOF, was just referring to the personal and racist attacks he received which for me were 'beyond the pale'

"

"
Don't think there is any evidence to back that up and Marti is getting loads of stick on X and Facebook
Signings & The DOF on 13:19 - Oct 6 with 3604 viewsdaveB

It's the same recruitment team under Les and is it now so at some point questions should be asked of them, they were given full control this summer and the end result is embarssing

Some promising flair players but lack of replacement for Hayden is going to badly cost us, he made such a difference last season

Whoever made the call to sign Madsen for over 2million quid needs to be looking for a new job
Signings & The DOF on 13:32 - Oct 6 with 3547 viewskensalriser

Signings & The DOF on 13:19 - Oct 6 by daveB

It's the same recruitment team under Les and is it now so at some point questions should be asked of them, they were given full control this summer and the end result is embarssing

Some promising flair players but lack of replacement for Hayden is going to badly cost us, he made such a difference last season

Whoever made the call to sign Madsen for over 2million quid needs to be looking for a new job

How do you know what the transfer fee was?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Signings & The DOF on 13:56 - Oct 6 with 3447 viewsmart_Goblin

I think what a lot of people have to come to terms with is everybody has their favourites and everybody has different opinions on those favourites and everybody else.
The umpteen pages on Lyndon proves that but some people find it hard to accept . Of course you can disagree and that’s a good thing but to tell others they are wrong is just a nonsense .
People also say things that are untrue to back an argument.

“Don’t let the unreasonable hatred of one blind you the failures of the other.”

The above is just not true . No one hated or hates GA . He just wasn’t very good and the style of play didn’t suite us . Not just when he was here but years of watching bits and pieces of Wycombe.
We all wanted him to succeed so much , but we looked rudderless with no sign of improvement.
It’s different with MC as we have SEEN what we can do and it’s up to him to get us out of it and if we are rock bottom approaching Christmas he will be down the road most probably too.

I admitted on another thread that I hate reading criticism of MC as I have so much faith in him but right now I can’t really disagree with any of it . We are set up wrong , with the wrong players in a system that does not work . I’d love to blame the players but it isn’t all them .
Time to MC to show us he is the real deal as some of us thought and get players playing to their strengths in showing some fight and passion but the most alarming thing for me right now is we are getting beat and just accepting it .
[Post edited 6 Oct 13:57]
Signings & The DOF on 14:02 - Oct 6 with 3393 viewsRangersw12

Signings & The DOF on 13:32 - Oct 6 by kensalriser

How do you know what the transfer fee was?

It's been widely reported in the media what the transfer fee and length of contract is .

Obviously the club haven't said anything to make it official ( I don't think they're allowed to ) but it is out there
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024