Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rory Gallagher 19:11 - Jul 9 with 2536 viewsbob566

If you have a spare million

https://www.bonhams.com/auction/30318/the-rory-gallagher-collection/
Rory Gallagher on 19:15 - Jul 9 with 2487 viewsflynnbo

Used to play football with his drummer, Wilgar Campbell, in the late 70s on Tooting Bec Common.
[Post edited 9 Jul 19:17]
Rory Gallagher on 19:53 - Jul 9 with 2354 viewsPaddyhoops

One of Irelands greatest talents .
Back in the day when Irish music was ruled by showbands and (Bad)Country and western music.
A genius.
Rory Gallagher on 19:55 - Jul 9 with 2345 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Well Robert566, that's your Christmas present sorted!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Rory Gallagher on 20:02 - Jul 9 with 2328 viewsbob566

Rory Gallagher on 19:53 - Jul 9 by Paddyhoops

Back in the day when Irish music was ruled by showbands and (Bad)Country and western music.
A genius.

Ironically him been in a showband paid for the guitar.
Rory Gallagher on 20:46 - Jul 9 with 2228 viewscolinallcars

Rory Gallagher on 19:53 - Jul 9 by Paddyhoops

A genius.

Don't forget the diddly diddly bands as they were known in Hammersmith !
Rory Gallagher on 21:01 - Jul 9 with 2178 viewsdezzar

There is a good documentary on Rorys life on BBC i player atm
Rory Gallagher on 21:04 - Jul 9 with 2170 viewsPaddyhoops

Rory Gallagher on 20:02 - Jul 9 by bob566

Ironically him been in a showband paid for the guitar.

Very true . You got me there. The dance halls did get better in the eighties. Horselips and decent cover bands like Tweed improved the experience.
Dance halls in Ireland have pretty much disappeared as they have over here.
Rory Gallagher on 22:07 - Jul 9 with 2075 viewsBluce_Ree

He must have battered that Strat to get that sorted of wear on it.

Pretty good player from what I've seen.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Login to get fewer ads

Rory Gallagher on 07:31 - Jul 10 with 1854 viewsjohnhoop

Rory Gallagher on 22:07 - Jul 9 by Bluce_Ree

Saw Rory with Taste a number of times in the enclosed space of the Marquee Club back in 69/70.
Not sure my hearing’s ever quite recovered from it!
Rory Gallagher on 09:24 - Jul 10 with 1716 viewsfrancisbowles

Rory Gallagher on 22:07 - Jul 9 by Bluce_Ree

Initial wear on the guitar was caused when it was stolen back around 1966. Being the first strat in Ireland, it was too hot to handle for the thief and was dumped in a ditch. It was probably there for a few days and the damp got into the paintwork.

Rory was a working musician who constantly giggled and toured, so the strat was virtually in daily use for around thirty years. He worked hard on stage, perspired heavily and that wear and tear had a further effect on the guitar.

It's iconic though, and being my favourite musician, I have told Mrs FB, that if I scoop Euro millions in the next few months, it will be on our wall.
Rory Gallagher on 09:57 - Jul 10 with 1630 viewsQPRSteve

The first band I ever went to see was Taste at the Marquee Club. He was amazing.
Rory Gallagher on 10:16 - Jul 10 with 1584 viewsjohann28

I never saw Hendrix, but saw pretty much everyone else (Clapton, Page, Van Halen, Gilmour etc) and Rory was the best rock guitarist I ever heard by a country mile, and a lovely, self-effacing bloke to boot - no trashing hotels or any of that sht. The guitar is a tad beyond my budget, but my most treasured possession is a Qpr Guinness shirt which he kindly signed for me in 1983.
[Post edited 10 Jul 14:45]
Rory Gallagher on 10:59 - Jul 10 with 1510 viewsSonofpugwash

Yeah.Used to go and see Rory playing that Strat at the old Marquee Club in Wardour Street with Taste and then as himself.Always a good night of Blues rock.Battered old guitar could fetch up to £1M they say although prices have come down a bit.

In action- a bit out of tune...

[Post edited 10 Jul 11:04]

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Rory Gallagher on 11:10 - Jul 10 with 1499 viewsDesertBoot

It's well worth signing up for the Bonhams mailing list and they sometimes have previews for those registered where you can view the items close-up.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Rory Gallagher on 13:49 - Jul 10 with 1379 viewsBluce_Ree

Rory Gallagher on 09:24 - Jul 10 by francisbowles

Initial wear on the guitar was caused when it was stolen back around 1966. Being the first strat in Ireland, it was too hot to handle for the thief and was dumped in a ditch. It was probably there for a few days and the damp got into the paintwork.

Rory was a working musician who constantly giggled and toured, so the strat was virtually in daily use for around thirty years. He worked hard on stage, perspired heavily and that wear and tear had a further effect on the guitar.

It's iconic though, and being my favourite musician, I have told Mrs FB, that if I scoop Euro millions in the next few months, it will be on our wall.

Ah! Good info. Cheers.

I saw Rory on telly (OGWT or something) and his bassist was great too. Proper pounding that thing!

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Rory Gallagher on 14:16 - Jul 10 with 1307 viewsW4Hoop

Rory Gallagher on 09:24 - Jul 10 by francisbowles

I love the idea that Rory Gallagher "constantly giggled and toured". He must have been great company.

I remember sitting in my friend Pat's bedroom shaking our heads to the eponymous first album. Happy days.
Rory Gallagher on 16:49 - Jul 10 with 1186 viewsrbee

Great guitarist, love Shadow Play.

Brian May is a huge fan and took advice from Rory on his guitar setup. Interview on this subject somewhere on YouTube.

A little jealous of those who went to the Marquee in 1970, here are a couple of programmes, the bands and prices amazing.

https://ninebattles.com/tag/the-marquee-club/

https://www.tracks.co.uk/product/b18845-black-sabbath-slade-genesis-1970-marquee
[Post edited 10 Jul 17:12]
Rory Gallagher on 17:58 - Jul 10 with 1126 viewsdutch

I'm sure he was a lovely chap and all that, but it always struck me as stodgy blues rock at its worst. Check shirt, long hair, long solo, not a great voice, no great songs, guitar playing leaden. Sorry
Rory Gallagher on 18:05 - Jul 10 with 1108 viewsted_hendrix

Rory being Rory.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Rory Gallagher on 19:34 - Jul 10 with 1022 viewsSonofpugwash

Rory Gallagher on 17:58 - Jul 10 by dutch

I'm sure he was a lovely chap and all that, but it always struck me as stodgy blues rock at its worst. Check shirt, long hair, long solo, not a great voice, no great songs, guitar playing leaden. Sorry

Personally I'm not a great fan of the Strat - rather thin sound when compared to a good old Gibson humbucker/Marshall100 watt.Even Jimi was a bit lacking at times.
The only one who could cut through the mediocrity (for me) was Robin Trower.And I included SRV.
And yes I saw them all live.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Rory Gallagher on 09:47 - Jul 11 with 760 viewsfrancisbowles

Rory Gallagher on 17:58 - Jul 10 by dutch

Dutch, my fellow R, please try listening to A Million Miles Away and tell me it's not a great song.

'Leaden guitar playing', really?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024