Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rangers SInce 1966-67 Without Rodney. 10:45 - Jun 6 with 1243 viewsMarshy67

It's said that one man doesn't make a team.
OK on that basis how do you think the history of Rangers since 1966-67 would have panned out if we hadn't signed Rodney and been deprived of his 44 goals that season?
Would we have achieved the same level of success that followed that amazing season?
Or would we have ended up being say the West London version of Orient?
I'm not pitching one against the other because both were fantastic player, but would we have had Stan play for us if Rod hadn't played for us first?
I'd like to think that the club would have gone on to be successful and gained promotion to Division 1/Premier league.
Yet success is relative and to me only being out of the top two tiers of English football for three seasons out of the last 57 for a club of our size is success.
The club we have become stems from that 1966/67 campaign.
Rangers SInce 1966-67 Without Rodney. on 10:51 - Jun 6 with 1209 viewsTheChef

Well it seems that lucky for us he fell out with Vic Buckingham at Fulham.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Marsh#Playing_career

I can't imagine today, a player in the top division making a move to a team two divisions lower! Strange that no other top division team came in for him.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Rangers SInce 1966-67 Without Rodney. on 10:57 - Jun 6 with 1188 viewsdmm

I wouldn't argue with any of that, but I am probably biased. As a young lad, I was totally fixated on Rodney. I guess all of us in the kids pen were. It's 100% his fault I became an R.
[Post edited 6 Jun 12:30]
Rangers SInce 1966-67 Without Rodney. on 11:11 - Jun 6 with 1147 viewsCamberleyR

You could probably make the same comparison with the Champions of Europe and Don Revie. Prior to him pitching up as player manager in 1961 they were a mid to lower half second tier team (and had been for many years) who had won absolutely nothing.

What they have been and are today stems from his 13 years as manager.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Rangers SInce 1966-67 Without Rodney. on 16:25 - Jun 6 with 895 viewsterryb

I would think that in all likelihood the 66/67 team would have gained promotion woth or without Rodney.

What would have happened after that I wouldn't like to speculate.
Rangers SInce 1966-67 Without Rodney. on 11:54 - Jun 8 with 561 viewsderbyhoop

Without Rodney, QPR may well have got promoted to second tier. Not sure they'd have gone straight through the season after.
The basis of that side was the lads who'd won the SE Ciunties league before. Ron Hunt, Tony Hazell, Sibley, Morgan twins, supplemented by Les Allen and Jim Langley.

You've also got to credit Jim Gregory for his financial backing. The SA stand was built over an open terrace.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Rangers SInce 1966-67 Without Rodney. on 16:07 - Jun 8 with 456 viewsLazyFan

We came 2nd with Gerry as Captain in 76, and did we not make 5th and top London club (Arsenal came 6th) in the '80s?

We should have kept Andy Gray on the wing; he was devastating. Going to Parlarse and playing Mid where he wanted to was no good for us.

zzzzzzzzzz

Rangers SInce 1966-67 Without Rodney. on 16:30 - Jun 8 with 437 views222gers

I used to drink in the Thatched House in Dalling Rd.
The Guv was Bedford Jezzard, Fulham & England centre forward, and manager of Fulham.
I used to tell punters that he transferred Rodney to us, but it was of course Buckingham.
A fine man…..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024