Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
False 9 17:11 - Feb 26 with 6021 viewsPetros

An unsuccessful experiment, surely? No coincidence that Chair and Willock have had a couple of very poor games. Willock is not physical enough to play the role - all his best work is coming in from wide, in space. Chair looks lost.
I'm no fan of Gray but he at least provided a target for SJ and Hendrick, who are both excellent passers. With a better touch from that SJ through ball, he would have given us an equaliser.
False 9 on 10:10 - Feb 28 with 1552 viewsBrianMcCarthy

False 9 on 10:04 - Feb 28 by daveB

They pressed us really well but we could have been a lot better. With Hendrick and Field both playing I found it bizarre that Johanssen was playing so deep as well, he needed to push right up and support the front 2 who were really isolated in the second half.

Agree with all of that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

False 9 on 10:24 - Feb 28 with 1505 viewsBurnleyhoop

False 9 on 10:04 - Feb 28 by daveB

They pressed us really well but we could have been a lot better. With Hendrick and Field both playing I found it bizarre that Johanssen was playing so deep as well, he needed to push right up and support the front 2 who were really isolated in the second half.

For me they are all DCM’s and play as such. Never been convinced by JoJo playing further up the pitch. He hasn’t got the pace or engine to play that role, certainly not for a full 90 mins

We are definitely lacking energy and legs, so was delighted to see McCallum back. Adomah in dire need of a break (and only ever want to see him in the oppositions half ever again….please….no more wing back nonsense).
False 9 on 16:15 - Mar 1 with 1275 viewsfrancisbowles

What do we do on Saturday if Dykes is still out?

Willock has looked lost up top. Could Albert play that role supported by Willock and Chair? It would mean only two central midfielders though.
False 9 on 16:44 - Mar 1 with 1224 viewsdmm

False 9 on 16:15 - Mar 1 by francisbowles

What do we do on Saturday if Dykes is still out?

Willock has looked lost up top. Could Albert play that role supported by Willock and Chair? It would mean only two central midfielders though.

Gray and Austin should be available but I'd expect Dykes to start given that Warburton has said he was close to selection last Saturday.
False 9 on 17:45 - Mar 1 with 1146 viewsMick_S

What the feckin feck is a false 9? Attacking midfielder? Non goal hanging genuine 9? Can they be both in one game and hoodwink the opposition? What year were they invented?

Does their number change if they drift to the left or right?

Thanks.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2022 17:49]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

False 9 on 17:46 - Mar 1 with 1138 viewsTacticalR

Willock and Chair looked too far apart. A lot of their best work is pinging it off each other, especially on the left (and Wallace could join in on the overlap too when he was around). Also Dykes attracts attention and gives them a bit more space to work in.

Air hostess clique

False 9 on 18:11 - Mar 1 with 1083 viewsQPROslo

False 9 on 17:45 - Mar 1 by Mick_S

What the feckin feck is a false 9? Attacking midfielder? Non goal hanging genuine 9? Can they be both in one game and hoodwink the opposition? What year were they invented?

Thanks.

[Post edited 1 Mar 2022 18:13]
False 9 on 18:11 - Mar 1 with 1083 viewsQPROslo

Thanks.

If you can watch Adel's fantastic performance as a false 9 in our game at Chelsea which we won 1-0 by him laying off a ball beautifully to SWP to bury the winner, his only goal for us I think. If I remember right Adel's game that day defined a false 9. Never understood why Redknapp never did it again. On 2nd thoughts because he was Harry.
Login to get fewer ads

False 9 on 18:12 - Mar 1 with 1081 viewsgolborne

False 9 on 17:46 - Mar 1 by TacticalR

Willock and Chair looked too far apart. A lot of their best work is pinging it off each other, especially on the left (and Wallace could join in on the overlap too when he was around). Also Dykes attracts attention and gives them a bit more space to work in.

Amos was playing in the front 3 prior to his last ACL and was having a blinder against Bournemouth the day he got injured. He’s not there for the goals, but for his energy in the press and forcing mistakes. You can’t play the so called false 9 without a proper pressing system in place. Watch how hard Man City work without the ball.
False 9 on 18:24 - Mar 1 with 1054 viewsdmm

False 9 on 18:11 - Mar 1 by QPROslo

If you can watch Adel's fantastic performance as a false 9 in our game at Chelsea which we won 1-0 by him laying off a ball beautifully to SWP to bury the winner, his only goal for us I think. If I remember right Adel's game that day defined a false 9. Never understood why Redknapp never did it again. On 2nd thoughts because he was Harry.

I think that was Tarbs finest overall performance for us. He was absolutely superb.
False 9 on 19:07 - Mar 1 with 988 viewsCamberleyR

Thanks.

It has it's early origins in the 1930s but it probably first came to proper prominence with the great Hungarian team of the 1950s and Nandor Hidegkuti playing the role, basically a deep lying centre forward/central striker (rather than an '8' or a '10' who would play slightly right or left) who comes into midfield to collect the ball.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

False 9 on 19:16 - Mar 1 with 974 viewsnix

False 9 on 18:12 - Mar 1 by golborne

Amos was playing in the front 3 prior to his last ACL and was having a blinder against Bournemouth the day he got injured. He’s not there for the goals, but for his energy in the press and forcing mistakes. You can’t play the so called false 9 without a proper pressing system in place. Watch how hard Man City work without the ball.

That was a big part of the problem against Blackburn. We were clearly lacking in energy across the team so it's not necessarily a good indicator of the success of that formation. We'd played four matches in thirteen days, including the last one where we'd been playing with ten men for half the match, whereas they'd played three matches in twelve days. It was obvious that they had much more energy than us for the high press. Having said that, our team isn't the best at pressing from the front. Dykes is pretty committed but not many others.
False 9 on 19:22 - Mar 1 with 969 viewsMick_S

False 9 on 19:07 - Mar 1 by CamberleyR

It has it's early origins in the 1930s but it probably first came to proper prominence with the great Hungarian team of the 1950s and Nandor Hidegkuti playing the role, basically a deep lying centre forward/central striker (rather than an '8' or a '10' who would play slightly right or left) who comes into midfield to collect the ball.

Nice one Cambers. It’s just as a kid, growing up, playing, watching and going to football, there was no such thing as a false number 9. Still baffled by it, but if it’s been going since the ‘30’s, I suppose it’s a thing. As an aside, I still think it’s 8ollocks.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

False 9 on 13:37 - Mar 2 with 843 viewsfrancisbowles

False 9 on 18:11 - Mar 1 by QPROslo

I think we did try again but the element of surprise wasn't there, especially after a televised match and it didn't work.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024