Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just Got Back! 18:13 - Oct 6 with 4691 viewsR17ALE

From our 4th consecutive away win. So you can't grumble about that, but it was far from convincing. Accy missed a sitter in the final minute so will probably feel aggrieved to have not snatched a point.

The only change to the line up was Grimes in for the suspended Grant, and he had a reasonable game.

We kicked off and just 25 seconds in, a George Donnelly rocket put us 1-0 up. It was a shot that cannoned in off the cross bar and I always think that shots that go in off the woodwork look more spectacular. It was a very similar goal to Jason Peake's first v Rotherham in our 1995 cup tie for those who remember.

It also left me with egg on my face as I'd just been explaining to a friend that Donnelly's game was akin to trying to have a piss through a hard on, in as much as it takes plenty of effort, yet you can never be sure where it's going to end up.

The second goal arrived on around the half hour mark when their number 5, who was so spectacularly bad, I overheard one fan describe him, "of less use than Anne Franke's drum kit!" Dele got away down the left and held off the No. 5 wriggling clear and advancing into the box along the touchline when the gormless right back slid in, up ending the Dale target man Definite penalty.

Grimes 2-0. We spurned a host of other opportunities, before a slip by Rafferty allowed their left winger to advance, before sliding over a cross to an unmarked player in the box. 2-1.

Half time should have seen us out of sight, but at 2-1, the door was still ajar for the home side.

The second half began and was still in its infancy when Lillis dropped the biggest clanger I've ever seen a Dale goalie make. A long range shot was heading straight for him and bizarrely he made out to punch the ball. But, he got his hands in the wrong position and the ball flicked off the back of his right hand, looped up, and in slow motion bounced over the line.

The stricken keeper sank to the floor in embarrassment, but I was pleased to note the spirit that exists in the camp, epitomised by Bennett rushing over to comfort the keeper, and get him back on his feet. He did make an excellent save too 5 minutes later as the home side were well on top, and were looking favourites to win at this stage.

The incisive football we'd witnessed in the first half, was suddenly replaced in the second half by a dose of Steve Eyre football as everyone looked clueless with possession squandered far too cheaply. The biggest culprit was Jk, and I pointed this out to my friend saying he was having a shocker.

Cue the little rascal then sweetly driving home from 18 yards with as sweeter struck, left foot shot as you will ever see, leaving me to wipe another dollop of egg from my face.

We held on - just. They missed a sitter and the 3 points were ours.

My marks for what they are worth are:

Lillis 4 - it has to be. But for the error it'd have been his usual 7.
Rafferty 6 - as above really.
McIntyre 5 - I thought he was quite poor today. There are times when I think he's an excellent player and other times when I can't see how he's a footballer at all. It's either brilliant or rubbish - nothing in between.
Bennett 8 - I wasn't convinced by him pre-season, but each time I see him play, I'm more impressed. Very good on the deck for a big defender.
Edwards R 6 - Didn't really notice him much to be honest.
Edwards P 6 - Offers a screen to protect the back four but we still conceded twice. His passing isn't the crispest either.
Jk 6 - was poor until scoring a stunning winner.
Tutte 6 - Subdued outing for the impressive midfielder.
Donnelly 6 - great goal, great enthusiasm, but a lack of precision in other parts of his play.
Dele 8 - My MOM. I know he's slow and has limitations, but the touch, vision and awareness are all still there. They simply had no answer to him today.
Grimes 7 - very busy and feeds well off Dele.

And so we sit in the play off zone again eagerly awaiting next Saturday's East Lancs Derby fixture v Morecambe.

Finally a word for the tinpottery of the Ultras. I've never really bought into the "Ultra" stuff as it is imitating other fans. Well, they capped it all off today pinching Sheff Utd and FCUM anthems, passing them off as their own. Be original for God's sake!!

Away following 1018
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Just Got Back! on 00:08 - Oct 7 with 1402 viewsColDale

Just Got Back! on 21:33 - Oct 6 by roccydaleian

As Razzle says, the Lillis fumble was a reet clanger which will probably shown on Soccer A.M. next Saturday, but he did clap the Dale fans and said said sorry after the final whistle. So fair play to the lad for that.

the apology thing annoys me. Mistakes are part and parcel for the game and he needs to accept that. Every player will make an error in a game, and he needs to learn to some arrogance and shrug it off immediately. He cannot allow himself to play under a self imposed cloud.
Just Got Back! on 00:12 - Oct 7 with 1399 viewsTVOS1907

Just Got Back! on 00:08 - Oct 7 by ColDale

the apology thing annoys me. Mistakes are part and parcel for the game and he needs to accept that. Every player will make an error in a game, and he needs to learn to some arrogance and shrug it off immediately. He cannot allow himself to play under a self imposed cloud.

He made some good saves after the goal which suggests he had shrugged off the error as far as the rest of his game went, even though it wasn't faultless

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Just Got Back! on 00:15 - Oct 7 with 1393 viewsDaley_Lama

Just Got Back! on 00:08 - Oct 7 by ColDale

That attitude is supposedly Joe Hart's greatest asset.

Poll: DF in or out

Just Got Back! on 09:33 - Oct 7 with 1283 viewsheywooddale

Just Got Back! on 20:22 - Oct 6 by boromat

I was surprised to see both Donnelly and Grimes go off so early. I agree that Curran wasn't as bad as most people are saying. Defensively he was brilliant, he worked hard and made some good passes that were part of some of our better play in the second half. Just unfortunate his crossing was awful and the chances he got weren't even half chances.

Donnelly appeared to be limping for about 5 minutes before being subbed off and I'd imagine Grimes came off because Puteril and Curran offer more defensive work-rate as well as an attacking threat than Grimes does. Though he has improved this season at tracking back.
Just Got Back! on 10:22 - Oct 7 with 1216 viewsdale_upon_tyne

Just Got Back! on 00:15 - Oct 7 by Daley_Lama

That attitude is supposedly Joe Hart's greatest asset.

Heard Gordon Banks on Five Live this morning singing Joe Hart's praises; I think Hart could (fitness allowing) become the best keeper in Europe and/or the World. He's close already.

For a young land who played for Shrewsbury a few years ago, that has to inspire young keepers at our level. Josh could do worse than model his entire mentality and game on Joe's!
Just Got Back! on 10:42 - Oct 7 with 1172 viewsDaley_Lama

Just Got Back! on 10:22 - Oct 7 by dale_upon_tyne

Heard Gordon Banks on Five Live this morning singing Joe Hart's praises; I think Hart could (fitness allowing) become the best keeper in Europe and/or the World. He's close already.

For a young land who played for Shrewsbury a few years ago, that has to inspire young keepers at our level. Josh could do worse than model his entire mentality and game on Joe's!

Good interview with Banksy, what an artist.

It always hits home when someone like him says "I have to work for a living, we weren't paid like these lot these days" and then you hear that John Terry has been fined a weeks wages of £220,000.

That's 17 years salary for a person working 40 hours per week on minimum wage.

He also used the term "the black pearl" when describing the save v Brazil. String him up!

Poll: DF in or out

Just Got Back! on 15:15 - Oct 7 with 1033 viewsaleanddale

i had a chuckle as i parked the car on tazbot road near the ground. On closer inspection it was Talbot rd but funny regardless.

Dale out of the blocks and a fantastic finish by gorgeous George.

2 mins later and Grimes beat the keeper but the full back kicked off the line.

Dale in the acendency and should could have closed the game out by the 30th minute!.

Rafferty dived in needlessly and that allowed Mingoia a free run and shot that he converted easily.

Lillis made an absolute clanger for the Accy 2nd when he could have caught it he choose tp punch into his own net 2-2.

Then Accy played us off the park for 35 mins or so and loooked the likely winners. Up pops JK to score a belter out of nothing and we undeservadley took all 3 points.

if this is the best the league can offer then we should be re focusing on new objectives. Get firing quickly and want it with the most hunger and desire and we should sit top 7 easy by the end of may.

Lg2 really does look a bad job.
Just Got Back! on 16:16 - Oct 7 with 997 viewsDaleAwaydayBot

My Awayday Review will be on here in appox Two and half Hours time

After 3457 forum posts, 11 news comments & 1 match report....The Rochdale Information Robot were Born!!!

Login to get fewer ads

Just Got Back! on 17:13 - Oct 7 with 936 viewsThe_DJ

Just Got Back! on 16:16 - Oct 7 by DaleAwaydayBot

Can't wait. Shaking like a shitting dog in anticipation.
Just Got Back! on 17:21 - Oct 7 with 902 viewsTVOS1907

Just Got Back! on 16:16 - Oct 7 by DaleAwaydayBot

Can you be a bit more precise?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Just Got Back! on 18:07 - Oct 7 with 860 viewsarchdale

Just Got Back! on 23:26 - Oct 6 by olympicdale

plus the brilliant point blank save from an Accy freekick in the first half, great reactions that.

He also started the move that led to the winner with an excellent throw to Cuuran(?)
on the right touchline
Just Got Back! on 20:23 - Oct 7 with 791 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Just Got Back! on 18:07 - Oct 7 by archdale

He also started the move that led to the winner with an excellent throw to Cuuran(?)
on the right touchline

Woeful effort by Lillis but not up to Dickens efforts as yet - mind you it was very poor at best!!!!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Just Got Back! on 21:08 - Oct 7 with 724 viewsmacro

Just Got Back! on 17:13 - Oct 7 by The_DJ

Can't wait. Shaking like a shitting dog in anticipation.

18:45! it's now 21:00 and no sign!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024