Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brizzle Airport 18:45 - Apr 21 with 13235 viewsTogg

Sat here now waiting for the 7.45pm flight to Malaga. It's like ' Little Wales'. Accents, bucket hats, stag, hen parties. I would say 80% Welsh.
Flights to Faro, Corfu, Alicante, Malaga. It's packed.
The money for the subsidised airport in Rhoose is losing out on must be incredible.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2023 18:46]
Brizzle Airport on 22:17 - Apr 25 with 1547 viewsraynor94

Brizzle Airport on 22:09 - Apr 25 by Kilkennyjack

Why is cardiff treated differently to airports in Scotland and the north of Ireland ?

APD is a tax levied on passengers - with those on economy class outbound flights of more than 2,000 miles currently paying £78, or £156 for long haul business class.
While it has been devolved in part to Scotland and Northern Ireland, it is still controlled by the UK government in Wales.

Parity with Scotland and the north of Ireland would give Cardiff something to offer welsh travellers. It would build the airport without a doubt.

Cardiff can't attract any major airlines to fly from there apart from Tui who do a few.

I it wasn't subsidised by the assembly it would go the same way as Doncaster.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Brizzle Airport on 07:16 - Apr 26 with 1487 viewsKilkennyjack

Brizzle Airport on 22:17 - Apr 25 by raynor94

Cardiff can't attract any major airlines to fly from there apart from Tui who do a few.

I it wasn't subsidised by the assembly it would go the same way as Doncaster.

My question is quite clear.
Try reading my post again and slowly.

Why is Cardiff treated differently to airports in Scotland and the north of Ireland…?

Because if it was treated the same, then flights would be cheaper from Cardiff for us all.
Demand would grow.
Airlines would want to be part of that growth as a direct result.

So why ?

Beware of the Risen People

Brizzle Airport on 07:49 - Apr 26 with 1479 viewsTogg

Brizzle Airport on 22:12 - Apr 25 by Kilkennyjack

Where do all the Bristol based passengers travel from then ?

Have they found a better option than Bristol Airport then ?

I would imagine Bristol provided their destination is flying from there.
Honestly 80% of the accents I heard were Welsh who would no doubt fly from Cardiff if the product was available. Bristol being not that much further from Cardiff, with more flights and cheaper flights. It's a no brainer the airport is such a success.
Brizzle Airport on 09:06 - Apr 26 with 1452 viewsraynor94

Brizzle Airport on 07:16 - Apr 26 by Kilkennyjack

Why is Cardiff treated differently to airports in Scotland and the north of Ireland…?

Because if it was treated the same, then flights would be cheaper from Cardiff for us all.
Demand would grow.

So why ?

I did read it and you get it wrong again, vast majority of flights are under 2000 miles, so your post doesn't apply.

I use Cardiff about 4 times a year, and find it cheaper than Bristol on most occasions, but its like a ghost town there.

Until they attract the likes of easyJet or jet2 they are always going to struggle.

Do you use Cardiff often?

Brizzle Airport on 10:59 - Apr 26 with 1434 viewsTogg

Brizzle Airport on 09:06 - Apr 26 by raynor94

I did read it and you get it wrong again, vast majority of flights are under 2000 miles, so your post doesn't apply.

I use Cardiff about 4 times a year, and find it cheaper than Bristol on most occasions, but its like a ghost town there.

Until they attract the likes of easyJet or jet2 they are always going to struggle.

Didn't Ryanair pull a lot of their flights from Cardiff because the airports fees were to high?
I cant really see EasyJet or Ryanair providing flights from Cardiff to say Malaga. As this would just be direct competition to their Bristol flights.
Brizzle Airport on 11:40 - Apr 26 with 1418 viewsWhiterockin

Brizzle Airport on 22:12 - Apr 25 by Kilkennyjack

Where do all the Bristol based passengers travel from then ?

Have they found a better option than Bristol Airport then ?

Well it certainly isn't Cardiff.
Brizzle Airport on 20:35 - Apr 26 with 1339 viewsKilkennyjack

Brizzle Airport on 11:40 - Apr 26 by Whiterockin

Well it certainly isn't Cardiff.

Its a mystery …

Brizzle Airport on 20:40 - Apr 26 with 1336 viewsKilkennyjack

Brizzle Airport on 09:06 - Apr 26 by raynor94

Of course, thats my default for convenience.

Obviously depends on where you going.

Why dont they treat Cardiff like Scotland or the north of Ireland ?
Come on ?

Login to get fewer ads

Brizzle Airport on 22:06 - Apr 26 with 1313 viewsGeoffThom

The elephant in the room is Bristol threatened legal action if they undercut them
Brizzle Airport on 22:16 - Apr 26 with 1310 viewsraynor94

Brizzle Airport on 20:40 - Apr 26 by Kilkennyjack

Of course, thats my default for convenience.

Obviously depends on where you going.

Why dont they treat Cardiff like Scotland or the north of Ireland ?
Come on ?

For what, how many long haul flights have you used from there? You could count the routes on one hand.

That's why people fly to Amsterdam from Cardiff

Brizzle Airport on 07:22 - Apr 27 with 1267 viewsTogg

Demand would grow.

So why ?

It's had huge backing from the Welsh government over the years. Without this there would be no Cardiff airport.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cardiff-airport-welsh-government-d
Brizzle Airport on 09:49 - Apr 27 with 1247 viewsKilkennyjack

Brizzle Airport on 22:16 - Apr 26 by raynor94

For what, how many long haul flights have you used from there? You could count the routes on one hand.

That's why people fly to Amsterdam from Cardiff

My question is - why does the uk government not treat Cardiff like airports in Scotland and the north of Ireland ?

I am simply talking equal treatment.
Anything else is not answering the question.

Why ?

Brizzle Airport on 09:51 - Apr 27 with 1246 viewsKilkennyjack

Brizzle Airport on 07:22 - Apr 27 by Togg

It's had huge backing from the Welsh government over the years. Without this there would be no Cardiff airport.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cardiff-airport-welsh-government-d

But if Cardiff was treated like the airports on Scotland and the north of Ireland, then Welsh Govt might not have to step in.

Why is it not allowed equality ?

Brizzle Airport on 09:52 - Apr 27 with 1245 viewsKilkennyjack

Brizzle Airport on 22:06 - Apr 26 by GeoffThom

The elephant in the room is Bristol threatened legal action if they undercut them

Now then …..

A quick Google says ….

….. follows up on the Welsh Affairs Committee’s 2018-19 inquiry, Devolution of Air Passenger Duty to Wales. Within the Government response to the report, the then Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury rejected the Committee’s recommendation to devolve Air Passenger Duty to Wales claiming that the “UK Government remains concerned about the competitive impact of introducing tax competition within a single aviation market”.

So the clear recommendation by the Welsh Affairs Committee to copy Scotland and the north of Ireland was rejected by UK government in London.

Its almost like they don't care about Cardiff …
[Post edited 27 Apr 2023 9:56]

Brizzle Airport on 10:31 - Apr 27 with 1223 viewsTogg

Brizzle Airport on 09:52 - Apr 27 by Kilkennyjack

Now then …..

A quick Google says ….

….. follows up on the Welsh Affairs Committee’s 2018-19 inquiry, Devolution of Air Passenger Duty to Wales. Within the Government response to the report, the then Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury rejected the Committee’s recommendation to devolve Air Passenger Duty to Wales claiming that the “UK Government remains concerned about the competitive impact of introducing tax competition within a single aviation market”.

So the clear recommendation by the Welsh Affairs Committee to copy Scotland and the north of Ireland was rejected by UK government in London.

To be honest I don't know a lot about other nations airports and their finance/ funding but it looks like the Scottish government are propping up Glasgow Prestwick
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/23263791.prestwick-airport-needs-ta
Brizzle Airport on 10:36 - Apr 27 with 1220 viewsTogg

Demand would grow.

So why ?

The problem with the popular European destinations is that Ryanair and easyJet have a stronghold on these and to move an operation to Cardiff would mean diluting their business. Maybe Cardiff might have to look at other destinations, I don't know?
We used to get a great service with BMI Baby from Cardiff years ago.
Brizzle Airport on 10:49 - Apr 27 with 1213 viewsraynor94

Brizzle Airport on 09:52 - Apr 27 by Kilkennyjack

Now then …..

A quick Google says ….

It doesn't matter about any tax, Bristol has far more variety of destinations, Cardiff failed to secure any major carriers over 25 years ago, hence the massive expansion of Bristol which has turned Cardiff into a white elephant.

It's costing the assembly a fortune to subsidise it.

Brizzle Airport on 10:54 - Apr 27 with 1211 viewsTogg

Brizzle Airport on 10:49 - Apr 27 by raynor94

It doesn't matter about any tax, Bristol has far more variety of destinations, Cardiff failed to secure any major carriers over 25 years ago, hence the massive expansion of Bristol which has turned Cardiff into a white elephant.

It's costing the assembly a fortune to subsidise it.

It's current worth now is £15 million. That's one big loss. I think the Welsh Government purchased it for 50 odd million also wrote off huge loans.
This is an interesting article. Also goes into the travel infrastructure in Wales. But that's another debate.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/a-bottomless-pit-taxpayers-cash-25
Brizzle Airport on 12:55 - Apr 27 with 1164 viewsKilkennyjack

Brizzle Airport on 10:54 - Apr 27 by Togg

It's current worth now is £15 million. That's one big loss. I think the Welsh Government purchased it for 50 odd million also wrote off huge loans.
This is an interesting article. Also goes into the travel infrastructure in Wales. But that's another debate.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/a-bottomless-pit-taxpayers-cash-25

Liz Truss cost us £30 billion in one budget.
Useful for comparison in terms of waste.

PPI also wasted billions.

If Cardiff had equal treatment to Scotland and the north of Ireland then it would have a fighting chance.

Its clear that the priority is to protect Bristol.
Thats the long and the short of it.
They know the impact on Cardiff and they dont care.

Brizzle Airport on 13:18 - Apr 27 with 1156 viewsTogg

Brizzle Airport on 12:55 - Apr 27 by Kilkennyjack

Liz Truss cost us £30 billion in one budget.
Useful for comparison in terms of waste.

PPI also wasted billions.

If Cardiff had equal treatment to Scotland and the north of Ireland then it would have a fighting chance.

Its clear that the priority is to protect Bristol.
Thats the long and the short of it.
They know the impact on Cardiff and they dont care.

I've got no interest in Liz Truss and her incompetence.
At one time Cardiff could compete with Bristol. I personally think this is no longer possible. Over the years losing BMI, Ryanair, Whizz Air and another one which I can't remember has caused huge damage. In the meantime Bristol has extended their runway and attracted more flights and passengers. Also improved the road infrastructure. Hence it's become the airport people of South Wales mostly use. Many also travel to Birmingham and some of the London airports. I would think Liverpool and Manchester would mostly service people in North Wales.
Brizzle Airport on 14:11 - Apr 27 with 1146 viewsKilkennyjack

Brizzle Airport on 13:18 - Apr 27 by Togg

I've got no interest in Liz Truss and her incompetence.
At one time Cardiff could compete with Bristol. I personally think this is no longer possible. Over the years losing BMI, Ryanair, Whizz Air and another one which I can't remember has caused huge damage. In the meantime Bristol has extended their runway and attracted more flights and passengers. Also improved the road infrastructure. Hence it's become the airport people of South Wales mostly use. Many also travel to Birmingham and some of the London airports. I would think Liverpool and Manchester would mostly service people in North Wales.

Well yes, but the question remains ….why not treat Cardiff the same as Scotland and the north of Ireland ?
Its obviously helpful or Wales would not be asking for the same.

But uk govt refuses to grant parity for Cardiff.

By prioritising the needs of Bristol it has effectively done for Cardiff.
Levelling up ? A sick joke.

Brizzle Airport on 15:33 - Apr 27 with 1120 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Brizzle Airport on 14:11 - Apr 27 by Kilkennyjack

Well yes, but the question remains ….why not treat Cardiff the same as Scotland and the north of Ireland ?

Trouble I Drakeford has stopped any infrastructure improvements in Wales so it is easier for people East of Newport to go to Bristol rather than try the Brynglas Tunnels.

Everyone has been saying the M4 relief road is vital for the Welsh economy for the last 20 years while Drakeford dithered and then cancelled it.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Brizzle Airport on 15:50 - Apr 27 with 1114 viewsraynor94

It didn't prioritise Bristol over Cardiff, 30 years ago Rhoose was a bigger airport, it had the same opportunity to attract easy jet, but it lost out, the rest is history.

Where do you fly to from Cardiff?

Brizzle Airport on 16:40 - Apr 27 with 1090 viewsTogg

If you are on about the airport taxes being devolved to Wales. It may help a little but it's the product that sells at the end of the day. My normal destination is Malaga ( there are others) BMI Baby was always competitive, quite often better than Bristol. As I've said I would willingly pay a little more to travel from Cardiff. Especially an early flight.
There have been high landing fees in Cardiff, mis management. Hence going cap in hand to the Welsh Government. At one time Cardiff did compete with Bristol but I'm afraid that is no longer the case. Hopefully they will become more competitive and eventually start to break even, then hopefully profit.
Brizzle Airport on 16:42 - Apr 27 with 1083 viewsTogg

Brizzle Airport on 15:33 - Apr 27 by felixstowe_jack

Trouble I Drakeford has stopped any infrastructure improvements in Wales so it is easier for people East of Newport to go to Bristol rather than try the Brynglas Tunnels.

Everyone has been saying the M4 relief road is vital for the Welsh economy for the last 20 years while Drakeford dithered and then cancelled it.

The infrastructure to Cardiff is another big one. I will say the new roads to Bristol airport have made it much easier. The downside, the council have now introduced a clean air zone . So an extra £9.00 each way for my Audi disease.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2023 16:46]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024