Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A Hull of a Time - Match Thread 22:17 - Aug 29 with 34456 viewsEmpireStateRanger

Spirits are high after Watford... we usually know what follows after.

Have to control their striker, who has scored five in the last two games!

But I think we're going to start showing some consistency. No clean sheet just yet, but I foresee a 2-1 win. Dykes and Dozzell.
A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:04 - Aug 30 with 2099 viewsBenny_the_Ball

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:03 - Aug 30 by Wegerles_Stairs

Where has that Andre Dozzell been hiding? Can't believe the change.

Quality tonight after a decent display on Saturday. Long may it continue.
A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:05 - Aug 30 with 2097 viewsBrianMcCarthy

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:00 - Aug 30 by Benny_the_Ball

This is about the size of it though I disagree with your feed; the Hull player ran from deep and was onside when the pass was played.

The only angle I've seen is inconclusive, butI think you may be right Benny.

Either way, as you say, that high line is dangerous. It does give us benefits as it compresses the midfield for us and that suits our touch and passing but it comes with a risk, and in all I think 3-1 was about right for that reason.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:06 - Aug 30 with 2061 viewsHAYESBOY

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:00 - Aug 30 by Benny_the_Ball

This is about the size of it though I disagree with your feed; the Hull player ran from deep and was onside when the pass was played.

He did run from deep but when the ball is played he is passed Dickie. Paal does not play him on as he is higher up in the line. Kakay on the near side is also higher up.

Smells like a trout farm in here

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:07 - Aug 30 with 2043 viewskarlski

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:03 - Aug 30 by Benny_the_Ball

He appears to have abandoned the experiment of playing JoJo at DM and pushing Field further forward. This coupled with Dozzell's improvement, the acquisition of decent full-backs and the return of Willock has improved the midfield no end.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2022 22:03]

The Field at DM switch is absolutely key. He's physical and really makes things more secure, and is good at playing the simple passes to find the more creative players. Johansen also looked much better in the switch.

The full backs do make a massive difference. And feels like they're only going to improve.

High line is a risky strategy and some days it's going to bite us, but great entertainment all round and bodes well for what's to come. Outstanding first 20 mins. Pleasing we could dominate in that way at home. Lots of movement which tailed off a bit, to be expected. And no little effort all through the game to see it out.

Well done MB and the players. Onto Swansea...
A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:09 - Aug 30 with 1983 viewsted_hendrix

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 21:57 - Aug 30 by daveB

true but it was worth a watch unreal miss

It's a howler of a miss and not the first this season, who knows what's going through Dykes mind at the moment? he might be suffering a bloody crisis in front of goal, I don't know I take exception to the beeb's comment, there's no need for It.

It's taking the piss out of one of our players by a so called professional media outlet.

Superb night and result and some excellent football by us.

That's all really.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:10 - Aug 30 with 1965 viewsEmpireStateRanger

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 21:58 - Aug 30 by BklynRanger

Since Beale made that 'not over the moon' comment the midfield seems to have turned it up a couple of notches. Wouldn't be surprised if they had a talk. Whatever works.

Made the same comment earlier. JoJo has looked completely different since Beale sought to "strengthen the spine". Dozzell has looked excellent, too.

A great night. Defense still needs a clean sheet, and Dykes desperately needs a goal. Shame that neither happened tonight.
A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:10 - Aug 30 with 1955 viewsMedwayR

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:06 - Aug 30 by HAYESBOY

He did run from deep but when the ball is played he is passed Dickie. Paal does not play him on as he is higher up in the line. Kakay on the near side is also higher up.

The replay I saw showed Dunne slightly late stepping up therefore playing him onside.

So many positives though, seriously impressed with Dozzell lately, we’ve seen glimpses in the past but he’s more consistent now, that through ball for Adomah was unreal.

Poll: Who’s better?

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:11 - Aug 30 with 1925 viewsBoston

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 21:45 - Aug 30 by ted_hendrix

F uck the f ucking beeb, that's unprofessional and uncalled for.

It is...but how often have we gloated when an opponent we don't like comes unstuck?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:12 - Aug 30 with 1918 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

On the train home. Blew them away first half and controlled the game in the second. Again a sloppy goal to concede though.
Hull were poor, all long ball and a lot of huff and puff but no real quality.
Midfield was outstanding again, Dozell is like a new signing. Feel for Dykes, as he kept their centre backs busy. In fairness the crowd were singing his name and he was clapped off, but he looks shot. His confidence has completely gone.
The press from QPR is relentless, 95th minute and Dozzell was still going !
There might just be something special brewing at Loftus Road this season.
A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:13 - Aug 30 with 1873 viewsBenny_the_Ball

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:06 - Aug 30 by HAYESBOY

I've seen it several times and I think he's level as the pass is played. What's telling is the reaction after the goal is scored; he knows that he played the lad onside.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2022 22:18]
A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:14 - Aug 30 with 1867 viewsted_hendrix

Quite a lot actually but we're fans not the media. @ Boston.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2022 22:15]

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:16 - Aug 30 with 1813 viewsBenny_the_Ball

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:10 - Aug 30 by MedwayR

The replay I saw showed Dunne slightly late stepping up therefore playing him onside.

So many positives though, seriously impressed with Dozzell lately, we’ve seen glimpses in the past but he’s more consistent now, that through ball for Adomah was unreal.

To be honest I wasn't 100% unsure whether it was Dickie or Dunne but either way the Hull player is onside.
A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:18 - Aug 30 with 1764 viewsBenny_the_Ball

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:05 - Aug 30 by BrianMcCarthy

The only angle I've seen is inconclusive, butI think you may be right Benny.

Either way, as you say, that high line is dangerous. It does give us benefits as it compresses the midfield for us and that suits our touch and passing but it comes with a risk, and in all I think 3-1 was about right for that reason.

I agree though I would say 4-1 was about right as Dykes should be tucking that chance away.

I could see from your comms that the high line was making you a tad nervous, and I can't say I blame you!
[Post edited 30 Aug 2022 22:20]
A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:18 - Aug 30 with 1768 viewsMedwayR

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:16 - Aug 30 by Benny_the_Ball

To be honest I wasn't 100% unsure whether it was Dickie or Dunne but either way the Hull player is onside.

Same, I’m not 100% it was Dunne, but it was one of them. Frustrating not to get the clean sheet but no matter, great performance.

Poll: Who’s better?

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:23 - Aug 30 with 1679 viewsBrianMcCarthy

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:18 - Aug 30 by Benny_the_Ball

I agree though I would say 4-1 was about right as Dykes should be tucking that chance away.

I could see from your comms that the high line was making you a tad nervous, and I can't say I blame you!

I was, Benny. I thought it creaked a fair bit. I think we can say, though, that's it's a work in progress. It's got us two wins in four days after all. And in the last few weeks Beale has improved our press, our midfield and our defending down the wings, so while there may be bumps with the high line I think there are grounds for optimism.

4-1 is right too, yes.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:29 - Aug 30 with 1593 viewsBenny_the_Ball

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:23 - Aug 30 by BrianMcCarthy

I was, Benny. I thought it creaked a fair bit. I think we can say, though, that's it's a work in progress. It's got us two wins in four days after all. And in the last few weeks Beale has improved our press, our midfield and our defending down the wings, so while there may be bumps with the high line I think there are grounds for optimism.

4-1 is right too, yes.

I couldn't agree more, Brian. Despite the nerves, ultimately the high line was seriously breached once in 95 minutes. Given that Beale has had only '33 sessions' to date and our central defenders are not blessed with pace, it's quite impressive how quickly the defence has adapted. It'll be interesting to see whether Beale persists with the high line if he goes 3 at the back.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2022 22:31]
A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:30 - Aug 30 with 1592 viewsHAYESBOY

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:18 - Aug 30 by MedwayR

Same, I’m not 100% it was Dunne, but it was one of them. Frustrating not to get the clean sheet but no matter, great performance.

It was Dunne that was last man, Not Dickie.

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:33 - Aug 30 with 1553 viewsGreenbay

FT REPORT
QPR 3 Hull 1
This was a cracker of a win.
Three brilliant goals.
And it should have been more.
It's the second time we've scored 3 first half goals in four home matches this season.
Our first half performance was devastating - certainly for the opposition.
We played with such intensity - sharp movement - closing down space and intricate triangles that Hull were nowhere to be seen.
Our quality of play surely had us all purring with delight.
It was our best display in 8 matches including the League Cup - by a distance.
One minute we are wondering - as fans - that this is going to be a bottom half of the table season - maybe flirting with relegation.
Now perhaps - and there are lots of ifs - maybe flirting with a top 6 spot.
We're currently sixth.
Yes I know it's early days but I much prefer that - than struggling near the bottom.
The first 15 minutes were absolutely sparkling.
MB's philosophy must be finding their mark.
The players must be buying into his ideas.
There's a cohesiveness about this side.
All for one and one for all - as the Musketeers used to say.
And it seems we have the players to do it.
This could be a better team too - along with our injured players returning - than our 2021 side - split of course into two seasons - before we imploded.
Maybe, perhaps, who knows - but it all looks good following our first back to back wins since January.
This was the second time in just over four days that we have performed with outstanding ability. We have defeated sides currently fourth (Watford) and seventh (Hull).
This was again another great team effort.
We are the third highest scorers in the division but 19th in conceding goals.
Chair - before he was replaced 9 minutes from time when Beale released 'The Beast' Sinclair Armstrong - was outstanding.
He continually ran down the keeper putting in 30 yard sprints - as if he was Usain Bolt.
What a creator alongside Willock - substituted 8 minutes after HT - presumably to keep him a little bit fresh for our match at Swansea on Saturday.
The only disappointment was - we have still to clinch a first clean sheet this season.
And I'm still a little worried about our defence.
For instance a back pass from Field and the Hull striker Estupinan couldn't believe his luck - was about to shoot - before Seny smothered the ball.
And that defensive high-line.
Yes it caught out Hull's players on numerous occasions - loads of offsides but it was breached when they pulled one back when Tyler Smith broke through and scored through Seny's legs.
But how can I/we complain on a night like this.
First goal - 5th minute - Chair (third goal this season) with a curling shot into the top corner - created by Jojo who has now had two wonderful matches. He won the ball on the half-way line before unleashing Chair.
Second goal - 10th minute - Laird slotting home from close range after a mesmerising move from Willock to Paal - who delivered a precise cross.
Third goal - 40th minute - who else - Willock (4th for the season in as many matches).
Jojo again won possession - closing down the opposition - a highlight of all the QPR team throughout the match - and Willock's beautifully placed shot put the game beyond doubt.
In addition a great cameo from Armstrong - winning free-kicks and also Albert and Kakay.
As for Lyndon - he missed a second half sitter from 4 yards out - after Chair had closed down a defender. As they say he must be gutted.
BUT he worked hard and was instrumental in this victory.
So Lyndon - I'm going to support him along with our wonderful fan base - certainly those at the match.
They cheered him on straight after that miss.
And they cheered him off - in a nice way - when he was subbed 20 minutes from time.
The second half was all about working hard to make sure there was no Hull comeback.
The work ethic paid handsome dividends.
If this team - sprinkled with a few diamonds here and there - can improve and repeat what they did against Hull - then we are in for a great season.
Onto Swansea - let's make it a hat-trick of victories.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2022 22:51]
A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:34 - Aug 30 with 1528 viewsMrSheen

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:18 - Aug 30 by Benny_the_Ball

Wasn’t Dykes offside? Lino had his flag up.
A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:36 - Aug 30 with 1527 viewsBenny_the_Ball

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:30 - Aug 30 by HAYESBOY

It was Dunne that was last man, Not Dickie.

Yes, I've just seen the highlights and you're correct; it's Dunne playing the Hull player onside.
A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:37 - Aug 30 with 1512 viewsBenny_the_Ball

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 21:43 - Aug 30 by Hooparoo

BBC website suggesting people find a clip of Dykes’ “shocking miss”
How embarrassing 😬

Clearly someone at Sky was reading the BBC website because they've obliged.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/
A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:40 - Aug 30 with 1455 viewsloftus77

Brilliant stuff Rangers - fine win. Now onto Swansea.

Gotta say, if we are concentrating on the top six (....), can't help noticing that the parachute payments 'vultures' are already gathering ominously. Sad to see, but utterly predictable.

On Lyndon, the time to miss sitters like that is exactly when you're 3-0 up and coasting. No harm done at all - forget all about it and carry on. Easy to say, but its like the ball that beats you in cricket and fails to hit the stumps. You're still very much at the crease - just concentrate on the next ball.
A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:41 - Aug 30 with 1449 viewsHAYESBOY

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:33 - Aug 30 by Greenbay

FT REPORT
QPR 3 Hull 1
This was a cracker of a win.
Three brilliant goals.
And it should have been more.
It's the second time we've scored 3 first half goals in four home matches this season.
Our first half performance was devastating - certainly for the opposition.
We played with such intensity - sharp movement - closing down space and intricate triangles that Hull were nowhere to be seen.
Our quality of play surely had us all purring with delight.
It was our best display in 8 matches including the League Cup - by a distance.
One minute we are wondering - as fans - that this is going to be a bottom half of the table season - maybe flirting with relegation.
Now perhaps - and there are lots of ifs - maybe flirting with a top 6 spot.
We're currently sixth.
Yes I know it's early days but I much prefer that - than struggling near the bottom.
The first 15 minutes were absolutely sparkling.
MB's philosophy must be finding their mark.
The players must be buying into his ideas.
There's a cohesiveness about this side.
All for one and one for all - as the Musketeers used to say.
And it seems we have the players to do it.
This could be a better team too - along with our injured players returning - than our 2021 side - split of course into two seasons - before we imploded.
Maybe, perhaps, who knows - but it all looks good following our first back to back wins since January.
This was the second time in just over four days that we have performed with outstanding ability. We have defeated sides currently fourth (Watford) and seventh (Hull).
This was again another great team effort.
We are the third highest scorers in the division but 19th in conceding goals.
Chair - before he was replaced 9 minutes from time when Beale released 'The Beast' Sinclair Armstrong - was outstanding.
He continually ran down the keeper putting in 30 yard sprints - as if he was Usain Bolt.
What a creator alongside Willock - substituted 8 minutes after HT - presumably to keep him a little bit fresh for our match at Swansea on Saturday.
The only disappointment was - we have still to clinch a first clean sheet this season.
And I'm still a little worried about our defence.
For instance a back pass from Field and the Hull striker Estupinan couldn't believe his luck - was about to shoot - before Seny smothered the ball.
And that defensive high-line.
Yes it caught out Hull's players on numerous occasions - loads of offsides but it was breached when they pulled one back when Tyler Smith broke through and scored through Seny's legs.
But how can I/we complain on a night like this.
First goal - 5th minute - Chair (third goal this season) with a curling shot into the top corner - created by Jojo who has now had two wonderful matches. He won the ball on the half-way line before unleashing Chair.
Second goal - 10th minute - Laird slotting home from close range after a mesmerising move from Willock to Paal - who delivered a precise cross.
Third goal - 40th minute - who else - Willock (4th for the season in as many matches).
Jojo again won possession - closing down the opposition - a highlight of all the QPR team throughout the match - and Willock's beautifully placed shot put the game beyond doubt.
In addition a great cameo from Armstrong - winning free-kicks and also Albert and Kakay.
As for Lyndon - he missed a second half sitter from 4 yards out - after Chair had closed down a defender. As they say he must be gutted.
BUT he worked hard and was instrumental in this victory.
So Lyndon - I'm going to support him along with our wonderful fan base - certainly those at the match.
They cheered him on straight after that miss.
And they cheered him off - in a nice way - when he was subbed 20 minutes from time.
The second half was all about working hard to make sure there was no Hull comeback.
The work ethic paid handsome dividends.
If this team - sprinkled with a few diamonds here and there - can improve and repeat what they did against Hull - then we are in for a great season.
Onto Swansea - let's make it a hat-trick of victories.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2022 22:51]

Great write up. It was Field though with that back pass late in the first half. He couldn't have seen him. Specsavers?

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:53 - Aug 30 with 1349 viewsGreenbay

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:41 - Aug 30 by HAYESBOY

Great write up. It was Field though with that back pass late in the first half. He couldn't have seen him. Specsavers?

Thanks Hayesboy.
Specs are on order.
A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 23:00 - Aug 30 with 1273 viewsA40Bosh

A Hull of a Time - Match Thread on 22:36 - Aug 30 by Benny_the_Ball

Yes, I've just seen the highlights and you're correct; it's Dunne playing the Hull player onside.

Just watched it about 10 times in slow motion. I would not like to put my mortgage on it either way. What definitely made it look more offside than it was, as people have said Dunne runs forward late and their fella takes off at speed so the time the pass is up in the air and on its way to him he looks miles off.

Not sure which way it would have gone with VAR because it was mighty close.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024