Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True 01:43 - Mar 6 with 6407 viewsEmpireStateRanger

The gaffer is now such a polarizing topic. But I think it's more nuanced than simply "he's the one to keep building QPR" or "he ruined our season and needs to leave W12 ASAP".

He could possibly be the one that we build with. There is real growth at the club on and off the field. We're recruiting well, building assets to sell, and giving fans something to cheer about. We have an actual recruiting policy that matches his system and ideals, and despite our form, we're still in fifth place with 3/4 of the season gone. I'm a relatively new fan of the club, but I feel as good about QPR as I have during my time as a fan (my previous high was after Cameron to Wszołek against Villa 3.5 seasons ago).

But he can also be one of the main reasons why we've botched our promotion push, and he ultimately needs to learn from this. From the false 9 at Blackburn, to pulling Willock today while chasing a game we needed to have, some of his decisions have been baffling at best, and very poor at worst. We didn't go after a striker even after the board offered, but added Hendrick, and what's happened since? We can't score goals and our strength in midfield has vanished. Why are we playing Hendrick over our own players, I'll never know why.

In this day and age, I know we have to rush to convictions and stick by them so strongly, but I'd rather we wait until the end of the season before we start. The fact is, out of our remaining 11 games, 5 of them are essentially six pointers. Let's see what happens.
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 13:55 - Mar 7 with 1711 viewsNorthernr

Things that get lost in amongst form...
- the state we were in under McClaren when he took over compared to now
- that progress has been achieved while budgets have been cut
- he's repeatedly lost his best players. Every year I read on here "well if you take Bright, Eze, Freeman, Smithies, Wells etc out of this team then we're fcked next year" and we haven't been. We've got better.

So I think it's ridiculously premature to be talking about shifting him because we've had one bad month. And, as always, I ask who are the realistic alternatives who would come here and work under this budget? Bear in mind that when I asked this a few years back Paul Hurst was very trendy at one point, and Paul Cook as well when he was fighting with Wigan - both now back in the Conference after getting jobs not dissimilar to our own. If Wilder was still free and would come I'd be tempted. But changing a manager is no guarantee of anything, and actually at QPR it has worked very, very seldom for us. This one feels like a huge case of be careful what you wish for.

I also think things like the Willock substitution at the weekend, which on the face of it made no sense... we have no idea about the medical state of these players. Do we really think he wants to take Willock off at that point? 30 seconds earlier there was a ball to chase down in the corner and Willock couldn't/wouldn't do it. I'm not sure really how fit he is at the moment. So it's easy to sit on a message board and go "his substitutions don't make sense" but none of us actually know the physical condition of these players do we? Maybe they actually make perfect sense i.e. if you leave him on you're going to lose your best player for the next six weeks with a hamstring blow out.

The strangeness for me over the past few weeks has been us going away from some of Warbs' 'red lines' if you like. Stuff that he has talked about over and over and repeated, but now isn't doing. A couple of examples...

1 - The football is boring. Warburton said over and over again he would judge his success by how many people want to come to the stadium to watch the team. His team should play attractive and attacking football. It's not doing that now. It's that boring, staid, Swansea-style pass around the back nonsense that is every bit as dull as Neil Harris/Tony Pulis hoofball.

2 - Keeping the fans informed. I've never known a manager so open to interview requests, never turns one down, answers your questions straight, will go on the podcast or whatever whenever asked and however the team is doing. He's brilliant for that, and again he said when he came in that it was important to keep the fans informed at all times. However... at the moment there are things going on, like Austin's absence, like this weird six week "knock" that Dykes has, the non-selection of Amos after he played well, Johansen in and out, that on the face of it don't make sense, and we're not getting any explanation for it. I get that he doesn't want to give his team away to the opposition, but if you just keep straight batting "I'll meet with the medical team after this" and "fully fit squad to choose from" and then players are missing for weeks at a time, into that vacuum comes conspiracy and inuendo. Be straight with us.

3 - developing players. Whatever you think of him, how he's playing, what he brings is irrelevant. If he was the best player in the team it would be irrelevant. We are not meant to be the club that loans Jeff Hendrick and starts him every week ahead of younger, sellable assets who we own. That's not what we're meant to be doing. It sends out a dreadful message that he starts every week regardless, with Amos, Thomas, Ball and others all left out the week after good performances recently. Whether it's that, or something else, the players are aggy with each other - you saw it all over the park on saturday, multiple rows and arguments going on. The latest set of accounts show it clear as day, we lose £1.8m a month and are right on the brink of breaching FFP unless we make a significant player sale once every other summer at least. That's meant to be the job here, a job he's done seriously well in to this point. The job is not meant to be 'get a Premier League player you've heard of and he starts every week regardless'.

4 - pathways for youth. I think one of the problems, touched on above, is the team is very reliant on some ageing bodies in key positions - Austin up front, Johansen midfield, and both wing backs. We've asked them all to do big minutes and they've hit a wall. Again, those experienced heads are meant to be supplementing and guiding the young players we're bringing through, not making up the crux of the team and we're fcked when they inevitably break down. The average age of the team has been creeping up for some time, and we now look leggy, slow, and tired at the key moment in the season. Again, this is not what we were meant to be doing, it's not the job here to fill the team with 30+ year olds and see if it can bring short term success.

Assuming we aren't going up, which I think is a pretty safe bet now. And assuming he is still here, which I also think is pretty certain. Having committed to long contracts for Charlie and Stef, and not sold anybody last summer, I think next season will probably be another mini rebuild and a sale or two is going to be required to keep the books balanced and while we wait for some big contracts to run down. Within that I'd look to get back to all four of those. A younger team, an attacking team, a team with some pace - two new wing backs the absolute priority for the summer as well as the much vaunted striker.

Long post short - I feel that in the increasing desperation to take the promotion chance that's obviously there the manager and the team has ended up going away from a lot of the principles that got it there in the first place.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 14:38 - Mar 7 with 1616 viewsPinnerPaul

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 19:53 - Mar 6 by Wegerles_Stairs

All successful clubs know when it's time for a change. Personally, I feel this season would be the right time; I have zero faith in Warburton's ability to take us to the next level, unfortunately. He's done a great job but the last month has shown why Brentford got rid of him - I'd be interested to hear what the Brentford fans on here think of our current malaise. The drop-off has been so great that it's hard to have any faith in him going forwards - I thought his game management yesterday was absolutely dire - and that's why I'm hoping he goes at the end of the season. Of course, others will have the opposite opinion, which is absolutely fine.

Fair enough mate, don't agree obviously, but, as you quite rightly say, all opinions are valid.
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 14:52 - Mar 7 with 1569 viewsswitchingcode

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 10:08 - Mar 7 by Rangersw12

"Dispite being on a poor run your still in the play offs would have thought it’s the time to get behind your team and moan at the end of the season if you don’t go up."

Half the people on here don't go so the moaning isn't a true reflection of what it's like in the ground ( or where I sit anyway)

I was only going on some of the posts on here so I stand to be corrected
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 14:53 - Mar 7 with 1569 viewsTheChef

Clive you make some valid points. I think the Hendrick signing is still a worthwhile one, he just needs to look up and play forward more, and he has the quality to do that effectively. Of course if we didn't make any signings in January a lot of fans would be questioning our ambition, etc. Can't have it both ways!

Recruitment for next season will not be easy; as we know it's very difficult to get value in the striker market. Added to that if we persevere with wing backs, I don't think it's easy to recruit those 'off the peg' either.

In Warbs and co. we trust.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 14:57 - Mar 7 with 1558 viewsdaveB

I do think it's a bit premature to judge the season at the moment, just as it was a bit early to be worrying about how we'll cope in the premier league and do we really want to go up after we beat Reading.

Saying that if we don't go up it doesn't need to be the end of the world. I think Willock would go possibly Chair as well but we can use the money to add some quality at wing back (or change system) and the bulk of the team sound stay the same and have just as good a chance next season (Newcastle not coming down is going to be a big help to everyone)

The team for the last year has been a 50/50 mix of experience and youth, I don't think that's changed hugely in recent weeks although the likes of Dickie, Chair and Field are probably not viewed as youth anymore. There has been a lot of talk about hitting the wall or the balance of the team being wrong but for me performance wise the recent games are no different to how we've been playing for months. Was Saturday really any worse than the Bristol City away game where they should have been 4 up before we mounted an attack was Blackburn away really any worse than the performance away at Blackpool, obvious difference is the results.

At this stage of the season you need a calm head, as fans we've completely gone the fanbase is in complete meltdown at the moment with theories as to why its happened and who is to blame. Nothings actually been lost yet. The final 10 games of the season when fighting for the playoffs are always hard regardless of who you play. The big tough games we have the pressure is just as much on the opposition as it is on us plus the bottom teams always find form at this stage of the season. I think the manager and players have done enough to earn a bit of trust and backing for the run in. It's a case now of stand up and fight till the end for both the players and the fans. Plenty have thrown the towel in by the sound of it but the season is far from over.
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 15:51 - Mar 7 with 1462 viewsPinnerPaul

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 13:55 - Mar 7 by Northernr

- he's repeatedly lost his best players. Every year I read on here "well if you take Bright, Eze, Freeman, Smithies, Wells etc out of this team then we're fcked next year" and we haven't been. We've got better.

So I think it's ridiculously premature to be talking about shifting him because we've had one bad month. And, as always, I ask who are the realistic alternatives who would come here and work under this budget? Bear in mind that when I asked this a few years back Paul Hurst was very trendy at one point, and Paul Cook as well when he was fighting with Wigan - both now back in the Conference after getting jobs not dissimilar to our own. If Wilder was still free and would come I'd be tempted. But changing a manager is no guarantee of anything, and actually at QPR it has worked very, very seldom for us. This one feels like a huge case of be careful what you wish for.

I also think things like the Willock substitution at the weekend, which on the face of it made no sense... we have no idea about the medical state of these players. Do we really think he wants to take Willock off at that point? 30 seconds earlier there was a ball to chase down in the corner and Willock couldn't/wouldn't do it. I'm not sure really how fit he is at the moment. So it's easy to sit on a message board and go "his substitutions don't make sense" but none of us actually know the physical condition of these players do we? Maybe they actually make perfect sense i.e. if you leave him on you're going to lose your best player for the next six weeks with a hamstring blow out.

The strangeness for me over the past few weeks has been us going away from some of Warbs' 'red lines' if you like. Stuff that he has talked about over and over and repeated, but now isn't doing. A couple of examples...

1 - The football is boring. Warburton said over and over again he would judge his success by how many people want to come to the stadium to watch the team. His team should play attractive and attacking football. It's not doing that now. It's that boring, staid, Swansea-style pass around the back nonsense that is every bit as dull as Neil Harris/Tony Pulis hoofball.

2 - Keeping the fans informed. I've never known a manager so open to interview requests, never turns one down, answers your questions straight, will go on the podcast or whatever whenever asked and however the team is doing. He's brilliant for that, and again he said when he came in that it was important to keep the fans informed at all times. However... at the moment there are things going on, like Austin's absence, like this weird six week "knock" that Dykes has, the non-selection of Amos after he played well, Johansen in and out, that on the face of it don't make sense, and we're not getting any explanation for it. I get that he doesn't want to give his team away to the opposition, but if you just keep straight batting "I'll meet with the medical team after this" and "fully fit squad to choose from" and then players are missing for weeks at a time, into that vacuum comes conspiracy and inuendo. Be straight with us.

3 - developing players. Whatever you think of him, how he's playing, what he brings is irrelevant. If he was the best player in the team it would be irrelevant. We are not meant to be the club that loans Jeff Hendrick and starts him every week ahead of younger, sellable assets who we own. That's not what we're meant to be doing. It sends out a dreadful message that he starts every week regardless, with Amos, Thomas, Ball and others all left out the week after good performances recently. Whether it's that, or something else, the players are aggy with each other - you saw it all over the park on saturday, multiple rows and arguments going on. The latest set of accounts show it clear as day, we lose £1.8m a month and are right on the brink of breaching FFP unless we make a significant player sale once every other summer at least. That's meant to be the job here, a job he's done seriously well in to this point. The job is not meant to be 'get a Premier League player you've heard of and he starts every week regardless'.

4 - pathways for youth. I think one of the problems, touched on above, is the team is very reliant on some ageing bodies in key positions - Austin up front, Johansen midfield, and both wing backs. We've asked them all to do big minutes and they've hit a wall. Again, those experienced heads are meant to be supplementing and guiding the young players we're bringing through, not making up the crux of the team and we're fcked when they inevitably break down. The average age of the team has been creeping up for some time, and we now look leggy, slow, and tired at the key moment in the season. Again, this is not what we were meant to be doing, it's not the job here to fill the team with 30+ year olds and see if it can bring short term success.

Assuming we aren't going up, which I think is a pretty safe bet now. And assuming he is still here, which I also think is pretty certain. Having committed to long contracts for Charlie and Stef, and not sold anybody last summer, I think next season will probably be another mini rebuild and a sale or two is going to be required to keep the books balanced and while we wait for some big contracts to run down. Within that I'd look to get back to all four of those. A younger team, an attacking team, a team with some pace - two new wing backs the absolute priority for the summer as well as the much vaunted striker.

Long post short - I feel that in the increasing desperation to take the promotion chance that's obviously there the manager and the team has ended up going away from a lot of the principles that got it there in the first place.

On the wing backs - McCullum, Odebajo, Kakay - add to that Wallace and Albert and that's a pretty big turnover in one area - do we really need two more given that list?
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 16:02 - Mar 7 with 1433 viewsParkRoyalR

Your final paragraph above has nailed it - and who can blame the hierarchy given we are losing £1.5 per month - in January we were looking like a play-off side so to gamble on Sanderson and Hendrick makes complete sense in that context - just unfortunately coincided with other key players either getting injured or looking tired / losing form.
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 16:24 - Mar 7 with 1399 viewsDixie_CT

MW's personality and attitude makes him liable for attack when things go wrong, with people waiting to challenge his approach and hold a mirror up after the recent short-term failures. He strikes me as belligerent, righteous, uncompassionate and slightly arrogant. I personally am not a fan of his manner but that is completely subjective and means diddly squat, especially as I'm making quite big presumptions.

What I can be more objective about is the fantastic job that he has done since taking over. Yes, he has had his best players sold but he has also had the backing of the board for significant, and risky investment, this season. There is no way we can run this squad next season on the wages we are currently paying. It is obvious the owners and CEO have rolled the dice this year and can see 'success' on the horizon but looking at the Caribbean on a holiday website is quite different to feeling the sand between your toes.

I do think we should be supporting the team, both payers and staff, more than the current tone suggests. We have put ourselves into a great position and may turn the form around. Yes, our run in looks tough, especially as we are playing teams where the feeling is influenced by size and history rather than capability and recent performance.

However, something just does not feel right at the moment and despite us not being in the changing room, at the training ground, or in the boardroom, our gut feelings as supporters and instinct is rarely wrong and only a decent end to the season (which could be gallantly missing out on the top six, would demonstrate to me that there isn't something more sinister afoot
Login to get fewer ads

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 16:32 - Mar 7 with 1383 viewsNorthernr

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 15:51 - Mar 7 by PinnerPaul

On the wing backs - McCullum, Odebajo, Kakay - add to that Wallace and Albert and that's a pretty big turnover in one area - do we really need two more given that list?

Well McCallum is on loan, Kakay is a very cheap squad player, Moses is only on a one year deal and if we're going to try and rely on Wallace and Adomah again next season well then I'd expect similar results only earlier and more dramatic.

It's a fairly obvious area requiring surgery this summer. It needs to be younger, and it needs to be quicker.
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 17:05 - Mar 7 with 1309 viewsPinnerPaul

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 16:32 - Mar 7 by Northernr

Well McCallum is on loan, Kakay is a very cheap squad player, Moses is only on a one year deal and if we're going to try and rely on Wallace and Adomah again next season well then I'd expect similar results only earlier and more dramatic.

It's a fairly obvious area requiring surgery this summer. It needs to be younger, and it needs to be quicker.

Fair enough
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 17:09 - Mar 7 with 1294 viewsOldPedro

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 16:32 - Mar 7 by Northernr

If Barbet goes, I wouldn't be surprised if we go back 4-2-3-1 but even so, we would need new full backs.

I like Kakay but think he is only a back-up really, and jury still out on Moses - he has had the odd good game but several dodgy ones too. It will be interesting to see how he goes if he stays injury free for the rest of the season.

Albert has done a great job but isn't really a wing back and his age is against him. Wallace seems to be suffering from injuries again - pity as he showed how good he can be in the 2nd half of last season

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 15:45 - Mar 8 with 1104 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 15:51 - Mar 7 by PinnerPaul

McCallum is only on loan (I like him though);
Kakay is not good enough;
Wallace cannot play enough matches to be an option next season;
Albert is a winger;
Odebajo, while improving recently, hasn't had the greatest season and is still injury-prone
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 15:53 - Mar 8 with 1096 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 13:55 - Mar 7 by Northernr

Excellent post and far more reasoned than my throwing the baby out with the bathwater rationale. However, in line with what you're saying, that's why I have lost faith in Warburton to take us any further; so many strange decisions, often incompatible with the reality of our situation. Even the disappearance of George Thomas and Luke Amos after their Blackpool cameos - Thomas wasn't even on the bench on Saturday. We threw any momentum from that match away with our line-up and attitude against Blackburn, which seemed defeatist. Then on Saturday, no substitutions till the horse had bolted and was on the M4 with all three points. Big summer, whoever is in charge.
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 16:32 - Mar 8 with 1049 viewsNorthernr

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 15:53 - Mar 8 by Wegerles_Stairs

Excellent post and far more reasoned than my throwing the baby out with the bathwater rationale. However, in line with what you're saying, that's why I have lost faith in Warburton to take us any further; so many strange decisions, often incompatible with the reality of our situation. Even the disappearance of George Thomas and Luke Amos after their Blackpool cameos - Thomas wasn't even on the bench on Saturday. We threw any momentum from that match away with our line-up and attitude against Blackburn, which seemed defeatist. Then on Saturday, no substitutions till the horse had bolted and was on the M4 with all three points. Big summer, whoever is in charge.

Well I always qualify these remarks with...
1 - we don't know the physical condition of the players. A sub that might not make sense to us, might make sense to them because they know he's got an injury - willock on saturday I think is a pretty prime example of that.
2 - we are often rather guilty of treating anybody who's not in the team as the answer to all our problems. Manning made a career here out of that. Everybody said Amos should be playing, then when he did against Hull he was fairly crap.

But, yes, I agree, overall, there have been some odd decisions of late. And, as I said in my ramble, decisions which go against what Warbs and QPR are meant to be about - i.e. if you're playing well you keep your place (Thomas hasn't been rewarded at all for his excellent cameos at Cov and Pool, Amos as you've said) and developing players not just bringing in loans you've heard of.
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 16:59 - Mar 8 with 1022 viewsPinnerPaul

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 16:32 - Mar 8 by Northernr

Well I always qualify these remarks with...
1 - we don't know the physical condition of the players. A sub that might not make sense to us, might make sense to them because they know he's got an injury - willock on saturday I think is a pretty prime example of that.
2 - we are often rather guilty of treating anybody who's not in the team as the answer to all our problems. Manning made a career here out of that. Everybody said Amos should be playing, then when he did against Hull he was fairly crap.

But, yes, I agree, overall, there have been some odd decisions of late. And, as I said in my ramble, decisions which go against what Warbs and QPR are meant to be about - i.e. if you're playing well you keep your place (Thomas hasn't been rewarded at all for his excellent cameos at Cov and Pool, Amos as you've said) and developing players not just bringing in loans you've heard of.

He did say that we had a sickness bug, but take your point, that comments like that, without specifying who is/was ill still leave us guessing.
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 18:24 - Mar 8 with 952 viewsQPROslo

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 14:57 - Mar 7 by daveB

I do think it's a bit premature to judge the season at the moment, just as it was a bit early to be worrying about how we'll cope in the premier league and do we really want to go up after we beat Reading.

Saying that if we don't go up it doesn't need to be the end of the world. I think Willock would go possibly Chair as well but we can use the money to add some quality at wing back (or change system) and the bulk of the team sound stay the same and have just as good a chance next season (Newcastle not coming down is going to be a big help to everyone)

The team for the last year has been a 50/50 mix of experience and youth, I don't think that's changed hugely in recent weeks although the likes of Dickie, Chair and Field are probably not viewed as youth anymore. There has been a lot of talk about hitting the wall or the balance of the team being wrong but for me performance wise the recent games are no different to how we've been playing for months. Was Saturday really any worse than the Bristol City away game where they should have been 4 up before we mounted an attack was Blackburn away really any worse than the performance away at Blackpool, obvious difference is the results.

At this stage of the season you need a calm head, as fans we've completely gone the fanbase is in complete meltdown at the moment with theories as to why its happened and who is to blame. Nothings actually been lost yet. The final 10 games of the season when fighting for the playoffs are always hard regardless of who you play. The big tough games we have the pressure is just as much on the opposition as it is on us plus the bottom teams always find form at this stage of the season. I think the manager and players have done enough to earn a bit of trust and backing for the run in. It's a case now of stand up and fight till the end for both the players and the fans. Plenty have thrown the towel in by the sound of it but the season is far from over.

Thank Christ for that Dave. Post of the season that. We''re 5th. Yet reading about us these days not just on here, you'd think we were deep in the relegation zone, Dunne was the only player trying, Austin, Hendrick and Gray were in collusion disrupting the dressing room, and the rest are injured, sick, carrying multiple injuries, or useless.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024