Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harrogate (h) Match Thread 18:12 - Feb 10 with 19933 viewsHullDale

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 18:59 - Feb 12 with 3741 viewssince58

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 17:55 - Feb 12 by tony_roch975

Dooley managed 2 assists today - sounds pretty positive to me.

Ru his dad or what ,ffs.
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 19:01 - Feb 12 with 3731 views442Dale

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 18:31 - Feb 12 by 1907

He’s had far more leeway than most managers we’ve had & also just been given a war chest probably greater than Hill ever saw across all his tenures combined.

Can you tell me, right at the moment in time, what you’re seeing on the pitch that justifies such blind faith in this manager?

I’d love TVOS to come in on this now and give us the win ratios of the last ten managers, because excuses aside - this is absolutely terrible.

Just because we’ve spent money on transfer fees, there is no way on earth that his “war chest” is greater than the one Hill had in 17/18 for example. It’s all speculation about how much we’ve spent and the budget until the finances come out, but some fans have long expressed the view we should be more ambitious and spend fees; now we have it’s a stick to beat Stockdale with.

This is no defence of his tenure or mistakes made, however I truly believe if we’d won only a couple out of the last 7/8 draws since mid November, we wouldn’t even be too perturbed by how things are going. We haven’t though and that’s on the manager and his players, there’s little doubt that he’s fully aware of the fact too.

If we get through this bad patch and to the end of the season then there’s enough there to say Stockdale may get it right next season. Of course, he might not. But that’s football.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 19:03 - Feb 12 with 3698 viewsoddjob007

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 18:49 - Feb 12 by Shun

I’ve heard the same, but on the pitch he’s been showing he doesn’t want to be here for a while now. If that was the case he should’ve requested his agent do a better job of finding him a new club in January. That hasn’t happened so he needs to realise he’s here till summer whatever happens. He can sulk all he wants but he’s paid money the likes of which most football fans could only dream of, and has the honour of being the club captain. He needs to start acting like it and show a bit more responsibility.

What frustrates me is that we’re famously a club who won’t stand in the way of a player’s career. The fact that he’s been here for so long and no other club has come in with a good enough offer shows how much he’s coveted, so perhaps he isn’t as good as he thinks he is.

Completely agree. His attitude is shocking and if he’s not careful he’ll end up on a 12 month contract next season elsewhere in League 2.

Interestingly at the start of season I was the dale bar and heard an Irish accent, turned out to be one of his mates. I asked If he was annoyed that BBM had left as it was assumed he’d stayed as a favour, the response was that he loved it here, he loved being captain and he loved living in Manchester…. Something must have changed.

I was convinced that the signing of Downing was because he was off!
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 19:04 - Feb 12 with 3675 viewsD_Alien

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 18:54 - Feb 12 by 1907

And I object to that.

I have nothing against the man on a personal basis, however I’ve never fully understood the love in with him after witnessing the football on display for the majority of the season.

I do feel there has been an element of rose tinted glasses with Stockdale all season, a lot of us have had patience and persisted with the garbage hoping for better things in January. Ultimately February is now here and things, if anything, are deteriorating.

We are wholly incapable of winning games of football and are sleeping walking into a potential relegation.

If that makes me negative, or a bad fan, for seeing things like that then so be it.

I know there were plenty of people feeling exactly the same at half time in the bar.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2022 11:38]

But for Kelly's stupidity with the penalty, the bar would likely have had a rather different atmosphere at half time. We'd equalized and were on top, looking to take the lead

What did RS do about it? Pulled him

Not sure the manager can do much more than that when he sees what we see but has no control over at the point when the action happened

[Post edited 12 Feb 2022 19:06]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 19:07 - Feb 12 with 3669 viewssince58

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 17:55 - Feb 12 by tony_roch975

Dooley managed 2 assists today - sounds pretty positive to me.

You must be joking.
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 19:07 - Feb 12 with 3665 viewsoddjob007

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 19:04 - Feb 12 by D_Alien

But for Kelly's stupidity with the penalty, the bar would likely have had a rather different atmosphere at half time. We'd equalized and were on top, looking to take the lead

Not sure the manager can do much more than that when he sees what we see but has no control over at the point when the action happened

I think we’ll stay up one way or the other this season (can’t believe I’m saying that) but next season he’ll be under some real pressure to deliver…. And I hope he does.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2022 19:11]
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 19:20 - Feb 12 with 3578 viewsBillyRudd

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 18:36 - Feb 12 by oddjob007

Heard a rumour that O’Connell has made it clear that he doesn’t want to be here… quite obvious in his body language and has been for some time. I’d rather have McNulty play if that’s the case and the club captain can suffer the embarrassment of sitting on the bench.

Not sure where to begin with today… we were awesome going forward at times, but the defending was atrocious.

We’re lacking a bite. Ball I think will get there, but we are soft. Not sure if Newby is worried about ruining his s*** hair, but he pulled out of several challenges.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2022 18:38]

O,,Connell was a liability today. Harrogate forwards had him for pace all afternoon. Protesting his booking was embarrassing and i,m not sure why he is telling other players where to place the ball after his passing display.
Leaders lead by example. When he,s back I would have Downing as captain and tell O,Connell to concentrate on his own game.
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 19:25 - Feb 12 with 3521 views442Dale

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 19:20 - Feb 12 by BillyRudd

O,,Connell was a liability today. Harrogate forwards had him for pace all afternoon. Protesting his booking was embarrassing and i,m not sure why he is telling other players where to place the ball after his passing display.
Leaders lead by example. When he,s back I would have Downing as captain and tell O,Connell to concentrate on his own game.

The three centre halves also play to O’Connell’s strengths. He’s a good player who can play in a back four but with fullbacks who are still playing like wing backs it does indeed expose his pace. Also, for a player who BBM told us liked playing in a side who passed the ball about at the back, he sure did lump it aimlessly a lot today.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Login to get fewer ads

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 19:29 - Feb 12 with 3490 viewssince58

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 19:07 - Feb 12 by since58

You must be joking.

Sorry my phone is dicking about 2nite.
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 19:33 - Feb 12 with 3450 views49thseason

The O'Connell " problem" was stark this afternoon, it seems like he thinks he is Franz Beckenbauer when what is required is Mark Monington. He is the Captain who misplaces a pass and then blames someone else. The one who points at mistakes by everyone except himself. He clearly isnt pleased to be still here, but showing his arse when we are in a dog fight isnt the way to get a good move away either.
It would seem we were going to have to assemble a new defence in the Summer, starting with 2 new Keepers, will Clark and O'Keeffe want to stay? Will Downing want to sign? Will Reading want Dorsett back or release him?
We just need to get through the season above the bottom 2 places, we have games in hand on everyone around us but we have only won one game against the rest of the bottom 12. We need to figure out how to beat clubs that are scrapping for points which may well require us to forget finishing top of the fair play league and learn how to scrap when we need to.
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 20:00 - Feb 12 with 3319 viewsDMR90

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 19:04 - Feb 12 by D_Alien

The error was starting Kelly as DM!

Completely agree with 1907, can’t believe how bad some of the football we played today was. We were helped massively by the referee blowing for a free kick when Harrogate were through on goal, their management team were rightfully incensed.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2022 20:13]
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 20:01 - Feb 12 with 3304 viewsnordenblue

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 18:54 - Feb 12 by jonahwhereru

O’connell was grand on Tuesday night and does as much coaching of the back line as any club could wish for, pity they don’t listen more. Think O’Keeffe must struggle with the accent or something as he Ignored his advice all night.
Think some may have decided they don’t want him at the club anymore, while others were sweating he would not be sold in the window.
Don’t worry your resentment will only have to endure another 3 months then he will be gone.

I think I he chose he didn't want to be here a good while back, his whole body language is wrong and God only knows why if whats been rumoured is correct, why we persist in him as captain.

For me he's never really been a captain and I've never got the whole love in for him either, fairly decent on the ball but he's absolutely bang average at defending, people seem to get blinded with his runs out with the ball and pinging a long ball about, its just a shame he's playing as a defender and is unfortunately required to defend from time to time too.
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 20:06 - Feb 12 with 3268 viewsBillyRudd

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 19:33 - Feb 12 by 49thseason

The O'Connell " problem" was stark this afternoon, it seems like he thinks he is Franz Beckenbauer when what is required is Mark Monington. He is the Captain who misplaces a pass and then blames someone else. The one who points at mistakes by everyone except himself. He clearly isnt pleased to be still here, but showing his arse when we are in a dog fight isnt the way to get a good move away either.
It would seem we were going to have to assemble a new defence in the Summer, starting with 2 new Keepers, will Clark and O'Keeffe want to stay? Will Downing want to sign? Will Reading want Dorsett back or release him?
We just need to get through the season above the bottom 2 places, we have games in hand on everyone around us but we have only won one game against the rest of the bottom 12. We need to figure out how to beat clubs that are scrapping for points which may well require us to forget finishing top of the fair play league and learn how to scrap when we need to.

He possibly thinks he is Franz Beckenbauer because BBM filled his head with a lot of nonsense last season.
To be fair can you really expect a player to have a grounded perspective when BBM , having lost at Blackpool last season after a tedious performance, announced in the post match interview that we had played brilliantly.
When Downing arrived it was obvious that his positional play, reaction time and heading ability was far superior to O,Connells and should have served as a reality check.
Perhaps if Stockdale is as honest in the dressing room as he is in post match assesments one or two players feathers have been ruffled after the surreal nonsense under BBM.
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 20:30 - Feb 12 with 3126 viewsMass_Debater

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 20:00 - Feb 12 by DMR90

Completely agree with 1907, can’t believe how bad some of the football we played today was. We were helped massively by the referee blowing for a free kick when Harrogate were through on goal, their management team were rightfully incensed.

We also played some good football today.
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 20:32 - Feb 12 with 3114 viewsMass_Debater

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 16:15 - Feb 12 by Yorkshire_Dale

I think there are fans on this forum who know more about football than RS and more capable .........will we have a League Club to sing about at this rate?

Appalling.

You aren't one of them.
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 21:35 - Feb 12 with 2854 viewsmikehunt

Don’t get the sudden animosity towards Eoin. It is embarrassing to hear people screaming hatred at him. Today was the first really poor game I have seen from him. Can’t believe he is purposely playing cr*p because he doesn’t want to be here. If he didn’t want to be here surely he would have angled to clear off in January?
The mood in the Sandy can change in an instant and it started in no time today. How on earth they expect players to perform when they are screaming abuse at them is beyond me.Yes, we were garbage for the first hour but Christ, there are ways to go about these things. If you want players not to care then just carry on bellowing abuse.
This is the one thing that would stop me going to matches. It is absolutely cringeworthy (imo)

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 21:51 - Feb 12 with 2776 viewsD_Dale

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 20:00 - Feb 12 by DMR90

They can't have liked how Newby knocked the Harrogate defender off the ball to set up Dale's equaliser.

On the other hand, their player rather theatrically launched himself to the ground to get the penalty.

https://www.skysports.com/football/rochdale-vs-harrogate-town/448822
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 22:16 - Feb 12 with 2662 viewsswiggy

Whilst agreeing with loads of the comments, our massive problem is:
OUR HOME RECORD FOR THE LAST 3 SEASONS
Is by far the worst in the football league.
We have supporters collecting with buckets outside the ground collecting money, supporters walking to Oldham, supporters organising quiz nights, supporters doing anything to save the club.
Then we have a team who seem incapable of putting a decent performance together, just clear the ball in defence, shoot when you have a chance, stop passing back from offensive free kicks, show us you care as much as we do please
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 22:25 - Feb 12 with 2615 viewssweetcorn

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 17:53 - Feb 12 by D_Alien

Where to begin with that?

At 1-3 i had the first thoughts that we were going to get dragged down but whereas it might've been a turning point in my outlook, it ended as what should be a more positive turning point for the rest of the season. Clearly, the fight and the ability going forward are there but christ, we need to do something about our defence. Without Downing we were all over the place

Not sure about Harrogate being poor (why do we keep getting such comments about the opposition?) they took their chances very well, and they'll feel like they've lost when we've finished on a positive

Kelly. Correct and brave decision to remove him at half time, he just wasn't good enough and the naiviety of the penalty was truly awful, and like he just didn't really care

Ball. MoM by a mile, driving us forward at every opportunity even when asked to play a deeper role in the second half. His shaking fist after we'd equalised to the Sandy crowd was exactly what we need. I'd make him captain now over O'Connell (probably won't happen). Enjoyed being in the Sandy today

As others have said, really pleased for Campbell, especially after missing the sitter of an header first half. He and Charman looked a handful and that's got to be the way forward now

Finally, O'Keeffe. Awful defensively and his unerring smashing of crosses out of play late on was dreadful. Needs to up his game. If he thinks he's here because he's good he'd better start proving it

It's the cool thing to say after a Rochdale game apparently, honestly it gets said time after time on this board. If they're bad, how bad are we?

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 22:28 - Feb 12 with 2588 viewsmikehunt

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 21:51 - Feb 12 by D_Dale

They can't have liked how Newby knocked the Harrogate defender off the ball to set up Dale's equaliser.

On the other hand, their player rather theatrically launched himself to the ground to get the penalty.

https://www.skysports.com/football/rochdale-vs-harrogate-town/448822

And they were fuming that Newby didn’t give them the ball back from the throw in after their keeper, pathetically, went to ground for treatment to an “injury”. We equalised not long after. Justice!

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 22:59 - Feb 12 with 2462 viewsBrierls

The overall performance was just about OK.
Many got the change in formation they wanted, it nullified COK’s threat.
O’Connell had a poor game, but so did others and not coming in for the same vitriol.
We don’t cope with pace.
Newby had a very good second half.
Great to see Campbell get a goal.
Charman hasn’t trained all week. RS is right to protect him for long term gain.
This is a season of transition. I see enough in RS signings and some performances to believe he’s the right man for the job. Next season I expect much more.
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 04:50 - Feb 13 with 2094 viewsNigeriamark

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 22:59 - Feb 12 by Brierls

O’Connell had a poor game, but so did others and not coming in for the same vitriol.
We don’t cope with pace.
This is a season of transition. I see enough in RS signings and some performances to believe he’s the right man for the job. Next season I expect much more.

not been brought up yet, but we had about a dozen corners, and did we threaten from any of them? Something you think we would practice in training & you'd expect a couple of decent chances from so many
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 07:30 - Feb 13 with 1989 viewsfitzochris

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 22:59 - Feb 12 by Brierls

We don’t cope with pace.

That’s where I’m at. I can see some signs of what I believe the long-term plan is. At the minute, I'm just trying to enjoy the rollercoaster in the hope we aren’t dragged towards a true relegation fight.

If we survive, and I think we will, next season is when I believe the true scrutiny should be applied and that should be expected by all at the club.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 07:31 - Feb 13 with 1987 viewswozzrafc

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 21:35 - Feb 12 by mikehunt

Don’t get the sudden animosity towards Eoin. It is embarrassing to hear people screaming hatred at him. Today was the first really poor game I have seen from him. Can’t believe he is purposely playing cr*p because he doesn’t want to be here. If he didn’t want to be here surely he would have angled to clear off in January?
The mood in the Sandy can change in an instant and it started in no time today. How on earth they expect players to perform when they are screaming abuse at them is beyond me.Yes, we were garbage for the first hour but Christ, there are ways to go about these things. If you want players not to care then just carry on bellowing abuse.
This is the one thing that would stop me going to matches. It is absolutely cringeworthy (imo)

I totally agree with you about hurling abuse at players is wrong.

However can’t agree with your point about O’Connell. His body language has been getting worse game by game, and today his attitude was awful. He just didn’t looked arsed. All to often he just threw up aimless balls or just looked to push balls to the nearest blue shirt regardless of where the opposition players were.

I wonder if he disagreed with the change in formation and his mindset was ,this won’t work’ from the start. Every player has an off day but O’Connell just didn’t try today and from the captain that’s unacceptable.

Maybe he needs to be “rested” for a game or two unfortunately we have no replacement
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 09:32 - Feb 13 with 1724 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 18:49 - Feb 12 by Shun

I’ve heard the same, but on the pitch he’s been showing he doesn’t want to be here for a while now. If that was the case he should’ve requested his agent do a better job of finding him a new club in January. That hasn’t happened so he needs to realise he’s here till summer whatever happens. He can sulk all he wants but he’s paid money the likes of which most football fans could only dream of, and has the honour of being the club captain. He needs to start acting like it and show a bit more responsibility.

What frustrates me is that we’re famously a club who won’t stand in the way of a player’s career. The fact that he’s been here for so long and no other club has come in with a good enough offer shows how much he’s coveted, so perhaps he isn’t as good as he thinks he is.

On today's performance I would doubt he is on anyone's radar. Some of his passing was schoolboy stuff, sorry if any schoolboys are offended by this. Five and 10yd passed going straight to the opposition, inability to clear the ball and absolutely no leadership whatsoever.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024