Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FT: Finish third 16:57 - May 3 with 19473 viewsScunnydale

Ah well, it wasn't meant to be. Chesterfield won and we've ended up third.

Could be worse! Very pleased how the season has gone as a whole and, for the first time in most [all?] of our lives we were top of the league at 3.15 on the final day of the season.

I, along with most others, would have been glad with a play-off place this season, but Hilly and this team of diamonds have given us more than that. Not only have they given us League One football again, they've given us pride and pleasure in supporting Rochdale.

Those in Newport: well done today, the photos coming back to us looked great. Have a cracking day tonight. Don't dwell on today, think of the season as a whole. All we've achieved, all we can be proud of, and all we have to look forward to next year.

Up the Dale!
FT: Finish third on 11:09 - May 4 with 1908 viewsnordenblue

FT: Finish third on 11:04 - May 4 by dingdangblue

5 penalties this season and 4 different takers! Very strange . Donnelly v Hartlepool scored, Donnelly v Chesterfield missed, Tutte v Chesterfield scored, Henderson v Chesterfield scored and Lund yesterday. When GMR went over live for the penalty I was staggered Henderson wasn't taking it.

Even more surprised Rose doesnt take a penalty,with that wand of a left peg hes decent from dead ball situations generally and would have thought a pen was a given for him.
Was it Neil Redfern who was class from the spot if I remember,at oldham,barnsley then us?
FT: Finish third on 11:17 - May 4 with 1892 viewsDorsetDale

Yep a great season, feels much better than last time.
On the penalty, for me, one or two "glass half empty" comments. Yes, Hendo could have taken it BUT he didn't, Matt could have put it to the 'keeper's right BUT he didn't. Instead he took excellent aim low down to the 'keeper's left, it would have gone in 9/10 BUT their 'keeper got down just as excellently.
Matty didn't miss, the 'keeper did brilliantly to stop it!!

After the game, went for a swift one in town before having a wander right round the ground on way back to the car. Saw Vincenti & Raff just crossing the road back to the team bus having just come out of a shop. Quick hello's, well played etc... and mentioned to PV to tell Matty to stop worrying, it wasn't his fault. PV seemed to appreciate that, smiled and waved.

Onward to league one.

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

FT: Finish third on 12:28 - May 4 with 1822 viewsTVOS1907

FT: Finish third on 10:44 - May 4 by irisaln

Even Mr. Donelly can score penalties.

What did that cost the club i wonder in not finishing second?

A good few thousand pounds I fear.

Steve Taylor and Gary Jones also used to miss penalties. And some bloke called Beckham.

I'm sure it wasn't intentional.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

FT: Finish third on 12:49 - May 4 with 1772 viewsYouTubeDale

"One the pitch if Georgie scores" was the chant before the match started and during it. "Well there's no chance of that happening" I heard one supporter say, so the Stewards had nothing to fear. He came within a whisker with his first attempt...then scored on his second. Wait for the rush onto the pitch...of course it's all bravado, pantomime stuff and all part of the fun of the game.

We just couldn't get going as we normally do. And as Hilly said it just wasn't to be. Of course we wanted the title and in the end I am glad Chesterfield won because it takes the focus off Lund having missed his penalty. He was distraught at the end - just showing us what this club really means to him.

We all set off with the mindset that whatever happened we were winners. Having lost the game, and the thoughts of what could have happened if we were fighting for a place, underlined even more what an achievement promotion meant. At the final whistle that promotion became even more precious.

A massive thanks to Hilly, players, board and staff.
[Post edited 4 May 2014 12:54]

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

FT: Finish third on 12:52 - May 4 with 1768 viewsmacro

FT: Finish third on 12:28 - May 4 by TVOS1907

Steve Taylor and Gary Jones also used to miss penalties. And some bloke called Beckham.

He was distraught at the end of the game. Unless your Ricky lambert you miss the occasional penalty.
FT: Finish third on 13:03 - May 4 with 1739 viewsfitzochris

It would have been fantastic to win the title, but promotion will do for me as a prize.

I've now got the summer to save up the pennies to make as many home games as possible next season.

Looking forward to it already.

Oh, and there's some tournament on in Brazil too.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

FT: Finish third on 16:54 - May 4 with 1610 viewswimborne_dale

FT: Finish third on 18:45 - May 3 by Shun

Incredible season as a whole but I'll be honest, I was pretty gutted at the final whistle today! The title would've been fantastic, but finishing 3rd on the final day again just seems a bit deflating, especially after missing a penalty and then conceding so late on. I might sound a bit pathetic actually! Ah well, for 15 minutes or so we were on top of the world. Incredible atmosphere today throughout the whole game. Looking forward to next season!

After I went away and it had time to sink in, I felt relieved that Chesterfield had won against Fleetwood. I might have felt gutted if they hadn't, given that we didn't. I thought the players looked pretty deflated at the final whistle. I guess they probably didn't know what had happened at Chesterfield.

But onward to Division 1. I just somehow know we're gonna win it.

Up The Dale

Edgar Allan's Crow

FT: Finish third on 17:17 - May 4 with 1579 viewsSuddenLad

FT: Finish third on 12:28 - May 4 by TVOS1907

Prize money as follows:

1. £25 k
2. £10 k
3. £5 k

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Login to get fewer ads

FT: Finish third on 17:18 - May 4 with 1577 viewsChaffRAFC

A magnificent season has ended with brilliant success. I was telling a mate at work that us getting promoted from League 2 with our budget and stature was the equivalent to Sunderland finishing in the top four in the Premiership. Winning the title would have been unbelievable and beyond what any of us expected but to come so close is an unbelievable achievement in itself and the fact we didn't win the league took nothing away from what was a brilliant away day.

The scenes in the pub before the game were tremendous. All perfectly peaceful as we were belting out the Dale songs into the high street while the passers by filmed on their mobile phones. We came for a party, we had one! Even the service station on the way down was superb as the official coaches joined us and we all had a sing song. The kind of days don't come along that often but when they do, you go all out to enjoy them and we did. We looked incredible in our pink pants and suit jackets and the whole thing came about because we are lucky enough to have, for the time being at least, a manager who has not once, but twice, achieved success that only one other manager in our 107 year history has done. These really are the best times to be supporting Rochdale AFC.

As for the game itself, it just didn't go our way. We were far the better side in the first half and could have been more than 1-0 up. The penalty miss looked like it really hurt Matty Lund, he looked distraught going off the pitch and I think that was confirmed by Chris Beech when he came over and started off the All You Need Is Lund chant.

Our coach was parked next to the team coach and as the players came out, we waited for Matty before pouncing on him with the biggest group hug you've ever seen. An extraordinary show of support.

I'm glad of the rest as my wallet can't really take many more away days like that but I can't wait for next season. Roll on League One.

Que Sera Sera, whatever will be will be, we're going to Barnserley!

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

FT: Finish third on 18:01 - May 4 with 1527 viewsD_Alien

FT: Finish third on 17:18 - May 4 by ChaffRAFC

A magnificent season has ended with brilliant success. I was telling a mate at work that us getting promoted from League 2 with our budget and stature was the equivalent to Sunderland finishing in the top four in the Premiership. Winning the title would have been unbelievable and beyond what any of us expected but to come so close is an unbelievable achievement in itself and the fact we didn't win the league took nothing away from what was a brilliant away day.

The scenes in the pub before the game were tremendous. All perfectly peaceful as we were belting out the Dale songs into the high street while the passers by filmed on their mobile phones. We came for a party, we had one! Even the service station on the way down was superb as the official coaches joined us and we all had a sing song. The kind of days don't come along that often but when they do, you go all out to enjoy them and we did. We looked incredible in our pink pants and suit jackets and the whole thing came about because we are lucky enough to have, for the time being at least, a manager who has not once, but twice, achieved success that only one other manager in our 107 year history has done. These really are the best times to be supporting Rochdale AFC.

As for the game itself, it just didn't go our way. We were far the better side in the first half and could have been more than 1-0 up. The penalty miss looked like it really hurt Matty Lund, he looked distraught going off the pitch and I think that was confirmed by Chris Beech when he came over and started off the All You Need Is Lund chant.

Our coach was parked next to the team coach and as the players came out, we waited for Matty before pouncing on him with the biggest group hug you've ever seen. An extraordinary show of support.

I'm glad of the rest as my wallet can't really take many more away days like that but I can't wait for next season. Roll on League One.

Great post Chaff, and fantastic to hear what happened with Matty Lund after the game - really pleased to hear that.

Just one thing - I'd compare Dale's success more to a team like Norwich making the top four!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

FT: Finish third on 18:12 - May 4 with 1508 viewsKenBoon

Not sure about the premiership comparisons. Coaching is more important than Money at this level and good coaches still make a huge difference - which is exactly how it should be.

Look at Fleetwood Town. They'll have almost certainly spent more than anyone else, yet they never got near to threatening to win the League and only flirted with a Automatic place after we lost two on the bounce, and that was still a long shot. They've got quality players (many of which got a rest yesterday) but ultimately they failed. A failure that brings a smile to my face as it means that clubs can spend wisely and be successful. Long may that remain the case.
FT: Finish third on 18:23 - May 4 with 1495 viewsTalkingSutty

From the heart that post Chaff and it sums things up perfectly. This season has united the Dale family and its been great to see.
FT: Finish third on 19:25 - May 4 with 1429 viewsTomRAFC

Well said Chaffy

The Lund thing is fantastic!

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024