Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nearest pub to where you live 20:09 - Jun 1 with 11388 viewsqpr_1968

just an out of season bit of fun.....

are you blessed with a diamond of a boozer...great food, cheap drink, great atmosphere, country pub...that makes you a regular.
or tarnished with an absolute shitehole....that you never go near, unless its the only one for miles.

mine is the princess vic, uxbridge road, food a la carte, local for match days,
happy hour monday to friday , two for one...morretti the favourite, cant think what the other two are though.......5pm to 7pm.
prices are top end of the average pub.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Nearest pub to where you live on 11:44 - Jun 4 with 2217 viewsWatford_Ranger

Nearest pub to where you live on 09:54 - Jun 4 by TheChef

The Three Wishes, Edgware High Street.

If it could have a flat roof, it would.

Used to get served in there when well under 18. Dreadful place and I assume it’s not improved in 15-20 years since.
Nearest pub to where you live on 11:45 - Jun 4 with 2217 viewsrobith

Nearest pub to where you live on 11:39 - Jun 4 by Northernr

Rose and Crown on Tooting Common is like that. Should be brilliant with the grass stretching out in front of it like that, pints outside etc. Inside, it's like one of those pubs they used stick up on northern retail parks with a Wacky Warehouse attached.

They've tried to make the breweries at Blackhorse Road into a "beer mile", but one of them was Truman till it went under, became Big Penny Social and now literally has a permanent bouncy castle in it. Luckily the others are a bit more adult, but a lot of the pubs in Walthamstow cater so exclusively to parents as to be unusable
Nearest pub to where you live on 11:48 - Jun 4 with 2197 viewsRBlock

My two closest are The Princess Vic and The Askew.

I used to love the PV, but think it's gone massively downhill. Food not as good as it used to be, but the worst thing is the service. You'll be sat at the bar waiting while a couple of staff members are having a chat at the back, while one beleaguered barman is trying to cover four orders. Got the hump with it too many times, so won't go back unless pals are already in there. Also very pricey.

Askew is a cracking boozer. Recent change of management now the old Irish boy has moved to a pub in North London, but the landlady has been really good. Guinness/1664 still only £4.50 a pint which is almost unheard of in West London. Good service and decent screens for the football. Where I spend most of my time.
Nearest pub to where you live on 12:40 - Jun 4 with 2083 viewsTheChef

Nearest pub to where you live on 11:44 - Jun 4 by Watford_Ranger

Used to get served in there when well under 18. Dreadful place and I assume it’s not improved in 15-20 years since.

Word to describe it - "colourful"

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Nearest pub to where you live on 13:26 - Jun 4 with 2015 viewsNed_Kennedys

My nearest (ignoring the couple of Irish ‘converted shop’ bars on the High Road) are the Bald Faced Stag and The Clissold Arms (where The Kinks played their first gig).
Neither are great.
Nearest pub to where you live on 13:58 - Jun 4 with 1941 viewsMick_S

Nearest pub to where you live on 16:43 - Jun 3 by A40Bosh

If it's to watch football with my brother and mates then it is the Middlesex Arms in South Ruislip which is 300yrds down the road.

If it's with the Mrs then the venue has to be a little bit more genteel shall we say (or expensive in reality).

Faves are The Case is Altered in Eastcote or The White Bear between Ruislip and West Ruislip.

All three were originally built as pubs and better than these new pubs and the recent trend of converting a high street shoe shop in to identikit, long narrow, Hennessy's, Three Wishes type chain pub.

Two decent places, one not so decent 😉

The food in The White Bear is tremendous. The Case is a lovely summer pub. The other one is full of that lot from north Battersea.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Nearest pub to where you live on 15:28 - Jun 4 with 1838 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

A few decent pubs near to me in Kingston. The Queens Head on Richmond Road, The Boaters on the river, and then The New Inn on Ham Common and Canbury Arms near the Town.
All good locals, but the prices are now astronomical. Queen's Head is my favourite as not too many Ruperts in there.
Nearest pub to where you live on 16:46 - Jun 4 with 1762 viewsBexleyHoop

Nearest pub to where you live on 15:28 - Jun 4 by Wilkinswatercarrier

A few decent pubs near to me in Kingston. The Queens Head on Richmond Road, The Boaters on the river, and then The New Inn on Ham Common and Canbury Arms near the Town.
All good locals, but the prices are now astronomical. Queen's Head is my favourite as not too many Ruperts in there.

Think I clicked the wrong button - doh!

My nearest two pubs are 'The George Staples' & ' Jolly Fenman' in Blackfen which both used to be ok when I was younger, but now in my mid- fifties I cant stand them.

https://blackfenpastandpresent.com/pubs/

However, there are at least 6 good micro-pubs open locally, so plenty to keep me happy.

My old local was ' The Iron Horse' in Sidcup and it was rough as fcuk and the local newspaper was not too kind in its reviews: https://theironhorseuk.com/ and yes it had a flat roof!

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/3738468.was-anyone-you-know-murdered-at-the-w
https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/leisure/pubspy/199020.iron-horse-sidcup-rip/
[Post edited 4 Jun 16:49]
Login to get fewer ads

Nearest pub to where you live on 16:53 - Jun 4 with 1747 viewsBexleyHoop

Plenty of good pubs lost in Bexley:

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/19273754.londons-lost-pubs-looking-back-22-be
Nearest pub to where you live on 17:23 - Jun 4 with 1691 viewspragueranger

Nearest pub to me is this one in Prague.

www.staraorechovka.cz/en

It's nothing special - pretty basic decor, and not particularly welcoming for anyone who doesn't live in the neighbourhood, but it's only 56kc for a half litre of Pilsner Urquell, which is about £1.95. A Kozel or Gambrinus - both equally as nice - will set you back just £1.40. No food, unless you count crisps and nuts.

A night out for under a tenner!
[Post edited 4 Jun 17:25]
Nearest pub to where you live on 18:17 - Jun 4 with 1608 viewslondonscottish

Nearest pub to where you live on 02:15 - Jun 2 by queensparker

Literally just heard the closest pub to me is closing its doors - The Mason’s Arms in Kensal Green.

Gutted, spent many a great time in there although you could tell it was coming, been totally empty for large parts of the week for years.

They lost the big garden in some sort of property dispute with London Underground a while back and never been the same since.

A lot of history gone though if it disappears, must have been a boozer for a good 150 years

Christ that's grim. Used to go there a lot when I lived round there.

Has the William come back to life? That looked shut for a long time whenever I passed it

Now I'm up in Willesden Green and my only real local, the Queensbury gave up last year.

Apart from anything else. it was great pre-Wembley pub being opposite the tube and 3 stops from Wembley Parkway.

There are still places to get a pint near the tube but not a proper pub like that. Shame.
[Post edited 4 Jun 18:17]

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Nearest pub to where you live on 18:54 - Jun 4 with 1554 viewsqprxtc

Nearest pub to where you live on 13:26 - Jun 4 by Ned_Kennedys

My nearest (ignoring the couple of Irish ‘converted shop’ bars on the High Road) are the Bald Faced Stag and The Clissold Arms (where The Kinks played their first gig).
Neither are great.

I absolutely love The Kinks and always wanted to go into The Clissold. My brothers partner lives up that way and took me in there.

A massive disappointment. One, it’s barely a pub. A restaurant with draught beer. Two, the room set aside for The Kinks was a sorry sight. Given their stature and role in musical history, it was a derisory effort.

Had one pint and scooted off sharpish.

Posh people are right w ankers.
Nearest pub to where you live on 19:06 - Jun 4 with 1545 viewscolinallcars

They say most bands play the Clissold twice - once on the way up and again on the way down.
Can't wait to play there again….
Nearest pub to where you live on 19:14 - Jun 4 with 1535 viewsqueensparker

Nearest pub to where you live on 18:17 - Jun 4 by londonscottish

Christ that's grim. Used to go there a lot when I lived round there.

Has the William come back to life? That looked shut for a long time whenever I passed it

Now I'm up in Willesden Green and my only real local, the Queensbury gave up last year.

Apart from anything else. it was great pre-Wembley pub being opposite the tube and 3 stops from Wembley Parkway.

There are still places to get a pint near the tube but not a proper pub like that. Shame.
[Post edited 4 Jun 18:17]

The WIV is still going but every time I’ve been in there recently it feels like The Masons did, massive lovely old building with nobody in it. I fear for it.

The one that is going gangbusters is The Island aka The Buccaneer from the old days. Gone from a flat roof pub in all but architecture to rammed out day in day out. Known locally as the raver’s graveyard due to the preponderance of knackered old parents who clearly enjoyed the 90s and now settling down (I include myself in this number)

The Chamberlayne and the Whippet (old Greyhound) seem healthy as well.

And Maggie’s Bar for the old school Irish is still one of my favourites

I’ll miss The Masons though, hope someone takes it on but the location screams “cheap new build flats”
Nearest pub to where you live on 20:53 - Jun 4 with 1460 viewsNed_Kennedys

Nearest pub to where you live on 18:54 - Jun 4 by qprxtc

I absolutely love The Kinks and always wanted to go into The Clissold. My brothers partner lives up that way and took me in there.

A massive disappointment. One, it’s barely a pub. A restaurant with draught beer. Two, the room set aside for The Kinks was a sorry sight. Given their stature and role in musical history, it was a derisory effort.

Yeah it’s unrecognisable as a pub now really: seems to be more of a shisha bar nowadays. Last time I went the main room where all the Kinks memorabilia is wasn’t even open: we insisted on sitting in there. Think they have branched out to survive: glad it’s still there as it’s a part of London’s music history and a lot of these places have disappeared.
Nearest pub to where you live on 09:19 - Jun 6 with 1198 viewsDrewster

I live in Lower Sunbury.
Have the Admiral Hawke next door but one to me, just been done up and is ok.
Three Fishes is 100 yards away, it’s a bit of a dive and needs major TLC.
Magpie, Phoenix, The Flower Pot and White Horse are all within 5 minutes walk and all nice enough pubs, the former 2 are on the river so great in the summer. But they are all getting expensive and won’t be far off £7 a pint soon I fear.
Conservative Club is opposite where we live and is cheap and has loads of screens and often shows QPR when we are on sky so a bonus. Cruzcampo is £4.40 a pint!

Kind of spoilt for choice really.
Nearest pub to where you live on 09:56 - Jun 6 with 1136 viewsTheChef

Nearest pub to where you live on 09:19 - Jun 6 by Drewster

I live in Lower Sunbury.
Magpie, Phoenix, The Flower Pot and White Horse are all within 5 minutes walk and all nice enough pubs, the former 2 are on the river so great in the summer. But they are all getting expensive and won’t be far off £7 a pint soon I fear.
Conservative Club is opposite where we live and is cheap and has loads of screens and often shows QPR when we are on sky so a bonus. Cruzcampo is £4.40 a pint!

Never realised Sunbury had an Upper and a Lower!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Nearest pub to where you live on 10:02 - Jun 6 with 1132 viewsKonk

Nearest pub to where you live on 18:54 - Jun 4 by qprxtc

Same, mate. My Dad grew-up locally, I love the Kinks, and the Clissold is probably the most disappointing pub I've been in, in terms of having high expectations. I didn't even stay for a pint.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Nearest pub to where you live on 10:16 - Jun 6 with 1116 viewsDrewster

Nearest pub to where you live on 09:56 - Jun 6 by TheChef

Never realised Sunbury had an Upper and a Lower!

Oh yeah, it’s a thing:
Wikipedia described:
The town has two main focal points: Lower Sunbury (known locally as Sunbury Village) is the older part, adjoining the river.
Sunbury Common (known locally as Sunbury Cross) is to the north and surrounds the railway station and the London end of the M3 motorway.
Lower Sunbury contains most of the town's parks, pubs and listed buildings, whereas Sunbury Common is more urban and includes offices and hotels. Lower Sunbury holds an annual fair and regatta each August.
Nearest pub to where you live on 10:37 - Jun 6 with 1078 viewsActonExile

The Vine (Decent pizza's and quiz night), £5-6 a pint
The Brook house, proper boozer, get a lot of QPR in there, £5 a pint and they let you eat takeaways,
The Swallow, good beer and right next to the station & bus stop home, £5-6 a pint.

Poll: Wherever QPR end up playing home games in the future, what is most important?

Nearest pub to where you live on 10:50 - Jun 6 with 1040 viewsNorthernr

Nearest pub to where you live on 09:19 - Jun 6 by Drewster

I live in Lower Sunbury.

We used to get taken to the Magpie for Sunday lunch when we were kids. Loved that place.
Nearest pub to where you live on 12:23 - Jun 6 with 942 viewsA40Bosh

Nearest pub to where you live on 19:06 - Jun 4 by colinallcars

They say most bands play the Clissold twice - once on the way up and again on the way down.
Can't wait to play there again….

Hahahaha

I only played there once. I must have missed it on the way up!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Nearest pub to where you live on 12:26 - Jun 6 with 924 viewsA40Bosh

Nearest pub to where you live on 13:58 - Jun 4 by Mick_S

Two decent places, one not so decent 😉

The food in The White Bear is tremendous. The Case is a lovely summer pub. The other one is full of that lot from north Battersea.

Yes, The Middlesex is a case of needs must etc and very local.
It vexes me that I can only afford to live in the South of Ruislip when I was an Eastcote boy growing up. My mission is to be able to retire within walking distance of the Case!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Nearest pub to where you live on 18:18 - Jun 6 with 779 viewslondonscottish

Nearest pub to where you live on 19:14 - Jun 4 by queensparker

The WIV is still going but every time I’ve been in there recently it feels like The Masons did, massive lovely old building with nobody in it. I fear for it.

The one that is going gangbusters is The Island aka The Buccaneer from the old days. Gone from a flat roof pub in all but architecture to rammed out day in day out. Known locally as the raver’s graveyard due to the preponderance of knackered old parents who clearly enjoyed the 90s and now settling down (I include myself in this number)

The Chamberlayne and the Whippet (old Greyhound) seem healthy as well.

And Maggie’s Bar for the old school Irish is still one of my favourites

I’ll miss The Masons though, hope someone takes it on but the location screams “cheap new build flats”

Yeah the Island's always busy when I go - it was still very much the Buccaneer when I moved to Kensal rise in 97.

The Chamberlayne (or what ever it's called now) was the Banker's Draft back then. Bit grim.

And the Greyhound didn't exist. The first version was called the Chambers and was a bit shit. The Greyhound became my home from home when it opened. I was just round the corners

Basically, back in the late 90'sI used to spend all my time in the Paradise until the William opened - that was a blast for the first few years.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Nearest pub to where you live on 18:44 - Jun 6 with 753 viewscyprusmel

Nearest pub to where you live on 12:26 - Jun 6 by A40Bosh

Yes, The Middlesex is a case of needs must etc and very local.
It vexes me that I can only afford to live in the South of Ruislip when I was an Eastcote boy growing up. My mission is to be able to retire within walking distance of the Case!

Many years ago I used to play darts for the Eastcote Arms, is it still there ?

It wasn't the Eastcote Arms I played for it was the Clay Pigeon Eastcote , my memory failed me but it was a very long time ago in the 60's, same question though has the Clay survived.
[Post edited 8 Jun 16:37]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024