Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alex Smithies 13:15 - Jan 22 with 7511 viewsQPRConor2000

Just confirmed by Leicester City that hes retired due to injury, really thought he was a great keeper for us.

Wish him well for the future.
Alex Smithies on 16:43 - Jan 22 with 2075 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Alex Smithies on 15:10 - Jan 22 by DannyPaddox

Not really getting the regular Begovic-bashing on LFW. Okay there is the frequent appearances on scum podcasts, and the often over-deliberation in distributing the ball (including the delusion that Jimmy Dunne is Franz Beckenbauer reincarnated and is the best option for a short pass). And yes he’s only here because of QPR’s proximity to his Goalkeeping Kindergarten in Chiswick. Weetabix hands, did I mention the occasional bout of Weetabix hands? But apart from all that I’m happy he’s here and in my opinion he’s one of the more positive things in the first half of a season of clusterfcukery.

Loved Smithies tho. And a shame injury has finished his career at 33 - no age for a keeper. Good luck to him.

Yes, Begovic has been a definite plus for me this season. He made errors from those corners but how many one to one saves has he made to keep us in games.
Alex Smithies on 16:47 - Jan 22 with 2068 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Alex Smithies on 14:50 - Jan 22 by Gloucs_R

Talking of Rob Green has anyone else ever seen how badly damaged his fingers are?

I watched an interview with him the other day I was absolutely shocked that they are twisted and deformed.

He also fcked his back for us picking the ball out of the net all the time.
Alex Smithies on 18:01 - Jan 22 with 1966 viewsNorthernr

Alex Smithies on 16:43 - Jan 22 by CroydonCaptJack

Yes, Begovic has been a definite plus for me this season. He made errors from those corners but how many one to one saves has he made to keep us in games.

You're Reggie Cannon being in the right place on Saturday away from two more points dropped from a fundamental keeping error on Millwall's only shot on target and a 12 page thread on here.
Alex Smithies on 18:17 - Jan 22 with 1893 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Alex Smithies on 18:01 - Jan 22 by Northernr

You're Reggie Cannon being in the right place on Saturday away from two more points dropped from a fundamental keeping error on Millwall's only shot on target and a 12 page thread on here.

'Fraid so.

I do think Begovic gets too much grief, as we discussed last week, but we also said that though the role of the goalie is ever-changing and ever-evolving, the primary function is still dealing with shots on target and Begovic has made too many errors of late. Now, another one.

The mistake is one thing, and we all make them, but it's how we react to mistakes is what defines us. What concerned me was his reaction to his slip: he looks at his gloves as if they're to blame (know where you get some good ones, Captain?) and he then stays on his knees as the Millwall 11 sprints past him and puts pressure on Cannon and nearly forces the goal on the rebound. That's what I'd be talking to him about.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Alex Smithies on 18:56 - Jan 22 with 1803 viewsHooping_Mad

Alex Smithies on 16:47 - Jan 22 by BazzaInTheLoft

He also fcked his back for us picking the ball out of the net all the time.

Nothing surprises me about Rob Green after his standing inside the goal corner routine. Probably tried to install some shelves with a hammer. You're right, they are an absolute mess.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Alex Smithies on 20:05 - Jan 22 with 1719 viewsManinBlack

A keeper that saved penalties something which keepers after him don't seem very good at. Very young age to hang up the gloves a real shame for him.
Alex Smithies on 22:49 - Jan 22 with 1578 viewsLazyFan

Won us 3 pts at Boro, though. Two clear 1:1 saves and that was when Gaz was manager.
He makes a few mistakes, but he makes some outrageous saves as well.

Even Smithies did a mistake once that cost us a goal, bad header out as I recall.
[Post edited 22 Jan 22:50]

zzzzzzzzzz

Alex Smithies on 22:57 - Jan 22 with 1561 viewsToast_R

Thought Paddy Kenny was better than Rob Green and Cesar and probably on less than half their wages. What a bizarre period in the clubs history that was, prizing players away from bigger clubs because we'd pay them much more. Mental to think about it now.
Login to get fewer ads

Alex Smithies on 23:39 - Jan 22 with 1521 viewsBoston

On the plus side, it was probably the only time Reg was in the right place for the whole game.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Alex Smithies on 23:43 - Jan 22 with 1516 viewsBoston

Alex Smithies on 18:17 - Jan 22 by BrianMcCarthy

'Fraid so.

I do think Begovic gets too much grief, as we discussed last week, but we also said that though the role of the goalie is ever-changing and ever-evolving, the primary function is still dealing with shots on target and Begovic has made too many errors of late. Now, another one.

The mistake is one thing, and we all make them, but it's how we react to mistakes is what defines us. What concerned me was his reaction to his slip: he looks at his gloves as if they're to blame (know where you get some good ones, Captain?) and he then stays on his knees as the Millwall 11 sprints past him and puts pressure on Cannon and nearly forces the goal on the rebound. That's what I'd be talking to him about.

Begovic is adequate, like most things at QPR.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Alex Smithies on 10:03 - Jan 23 with 1376 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Always felt a bit sorry for him that Huddersfield were promoted while he was playing for us. I mean you wouldn't fancy Huddersfield to come above us, would you?
Alex Smithies on 10:11 - Jan 23 with 1367 viewswestberksr

Alex Smithies on 23:39 - Jan 22 by Boston

On the plus side, it was probably the only time Reg was in the right place for the whole game.

totally this
Alex Smithies on 10:12 - Jan 23 with 1354 viewsLandshark

I didn't even notice that error, I had to go back and watch again. Why would he not try and save that? He acted like he was leaving it to go out of play.
Alex Smithies on 10:15 - Jan 23 with 1339 viewswestberksr

Smithies was such an assured keeper and not the first or last time that we overlook a decent player for someone else who keeps fecking things up. felt for him that he never got a run of games at Bardiff after moving there

Begovic isn't our biggest problem, so i'm not going to slate the ex-scummer
Alex Smithies on 10:21 - Jan 23 with 1324 viewsMarshy67

He should never have been let go. Not the tallest of keepers but a great shot stopper and made several penalty saves. Definitely one of the best I've seen play for us along with Phil Parkes and David Seaman.
Alex Smithies on 11:31 - Jan 23 with 1229 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Alex Smithies on 10:15 - Jan 23 by westberksr

Smithies was such an assured keeper and not the first or last time that we overlook a decent player for someone else who keeps fecking things up. felt for him that he never got a run of games at Bardiff after moving there

Begovic isn't our biggest problem, so i'm not going to slate the ex-scummer

Never underestimate the power of agents.

Same happened to Kenny. Two perfectly good keepers usurped by unmotivated has beens topping up their pensions.
Alex Smithies on 11:40 - Jan 23 with 1199 viewsAntti_Heinola

Alex Smithies on 18:17 - Jan 22 by BrianMcCarthy

'Fraid so.

Was it not because the Millwall player ran in front of him just at the last second and he was expecting him to deflect it? It was poor, but that was how I saw it - the millwall player should have scored?

Bare bones.

Alex Smithies on 11:54 - Jan 23 with 1155 viewsJimthehip

Alex Smithies on 22:49 - Jan 22 by LazyFan

Won us 3 pts at Boro, though. Two clear 1:1 saves and that was when Gaz was manager.
He makes a few mistakes, but he makes some outrageous saves as well.

Even Smithies did a mistake once that cost us a goal, bad header out as I recall.
[Post edited 22 Jan 22:50]

He has made some big saves to win us points
Alex Smithies on 11:58 - Jan 23 with 1143 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Alex Smithies on 11:40 - Jan 23 by Antti_Heinola

Was it not because the Millwall player ran in front of him just at the last second and he was expecting him to deflect it? It was poor, but that was how I saw it - the millwall player should have scored?

I'm not sure what he was thinking really. On the initial shot he should have made himself much bigger, I thought.

But it's the slow reaction afterwards that I found surprising and most concerning.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Alex Smithies on 13:15 - Jan 23 with 1035 viewsGroveR

Alex Smithies on 10:21 - Jan 23 by Marshy67

He should never have been let go. Not the tallest of keepers but a great shot stopper and made several penalty saves. Definitely one of the best I've seen play for us along with Phil Parkes and David Seaman.

As much as I hated it at the time, selling Smithies was absolutely the right thing to do within a strategy of buy low/develop/sell for profit.

If the £4m being discussed is half accurate, that's up there in our top 3 player sales since Les went to Newcastle.
Alex Smithies on 14:54 - Jan 23 with 950 viewsbosh67

Would be a nice touch if the club got him back as a guest with his family on Saturday for the game with Huddersfield. A game that would mean a lot to him and it would be class for the club to do that.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Alex Smithies on 19:53 - Jan 23 with 813 viewsw7r

Kenny and Smithies were great for us.

As for the rest of them from 2010/11 until now - meh.
Alex Smithies on 22:42 - Jan 24 with 630 viewsLogman

Dieng was good until his head got turned.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024