Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Take the knee England. 21:34 - Jun 14 with 6024 viewsknocker

Southgate has definitely run out of ideas.
Take the knee England. on 10:01 - Jun 15 with 1513 viewsAntti_Heinola

Take the knee England. on 09:15 - Jun 15 by knocker

Box ticking at its finest.

in what way?

Bare bones.

Take the knee England. on 10:26 - Jun 15 with 1442 viewsozranger

Take the knee England. on 09:53 - Jun 15 by TheChef

Yep - Nations League is mainly there to offer more incentives for the "smaller" nations so like you say it's clear Hungary were well up for it.

I think both you and Connell underestimate this competition that UEFA has imposed on European nations. Yes, they are being treated by many as friendlies and by others with more importance.

Hungary, within the overall levels of football are definitely a smaller nation. That there is no doubt, though their FIFA ranking will fly up after these past ten days. They should have been easily beaten by England, at least once.

However, these friendlies called the Nations Cup will continue to come around every two years. Next time, given what has happened so far, England will be in one of the B Groups, playing the likes of Macedonia, Slovakia or even Scotland. Meanwhile Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, Italy, etc and most likely now Hungary, will warm up to the next EUROs playing each other. That is, while England are, perhaps, treating these, as has been suggested above, as glorified friendlies, it will come back to bite them in a few years time.
Take the knee England. on 10:40 - Jun 15 with 1387 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Take the knee England. on 10:01 - Jun 15 by Antti_Heinola

in what way?

I think he’s fishing mate.
Take the knee England. on 10:49 - Jun 15 with 1375 viewspaulparker

On the subject of the coverage on CH4 it’s probably the worst out there and that takes some doing
Who in the hell is it catered to ?
2 boring ex pros -tick
1boring ex woman pro -tick
Pretty presenter who is annoying -tick
Pretty female interviewer asking stupid cliched questions- tick

It could be BBC, ITV , BT , they all do the same format , CH4 were once pioneers of football coverage especially the football Italia stuff they did in the 90s , that appealed to your average football supporter who was fed up of the same old same old
Forget the arguments of box ticking how about the arguments of some decent coverage the whole thing is just lazy and dumbed down

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Take the knee England. on 10:55 - Jun 15 with 1351 viewsTheChef

Take the knee England. on 10:49 - Jun 15 by paulparker

On the subject of the coverage on CH4 it’s probably the worst out there and that takes some doing
2 boring ex pros -tick

It could be BBC, ITV , BT , they all do the same format , CH4 were once pioneers of football coverage especially the football Italia stuff they did in the 90s , that appealed to your average football supporter who was fed up of the same old same old
Forget the arguments of box ticking how about the arguments of some decent coverage the whole thing is just lazy and dumbed down

It's all far too cosy, jobs for the boys/girls - they seem unwilling to use sports/football journalists with a more external view who might say something vaguely controversial.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Take the knee England. on 10:56 - Jun 15 with 1350 viewsLogman

Take the knee England. on 10:49 - Jun 15 by paulparker

2 boring ex pros -tick

Spot on. And it just serves to reinforce the same mindset and aspirations among the supporters. Get someone knowledgeable on there who can talk about what is happening on the international stage and how things need to develop and there is a chance that the supporters will become a bit more thoughtful and less impetuous/volatile.
Take the knee England. on 11:17 - Jun 15 with 1262 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Genuinely barely notice the coverage and forget as soon as it’s finished what channel it was even on.

Just don’t get the disgruntlement.
Take the knee England. on 11:22 - Jun 15 with 1262 viewsknocker

Every live football match on Every network almost without exception have a woman presenter. Some good,some useless but they all have a cervix. What else other than box ticking?
Login to get fewer ads

Take the knee England. on 11:27 - Jun 15 with 1248 viewskensalriser

What we need is a bit more racism, a bit more sexism and throw in some homophobia for good measure. Make sure all the pundits are older white men, put Ron Atkinson in charge of the team and employ Farage as PR. Then I think we could pretty much guarantee England will win the World Cup.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Take the knee England. on 11:33 - Jun 15 with 1242 viewsLogman

Take the knee England. on 11:17 - Jun 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

Genuinely barely notice the coverage and forget as soon as it’s finished what channel it was even on.

Just don’t get the disgruntlement.

It's because the game is being taken away from people who are interested in the methods and techniques and marketed for its image and instantaneity (yes, that is a word).
Take the knee England. on 12:22 - Jun 15 with 1126 viewsManinBlack

Maybe I am at odds with most people but I found it amusing seeing us get stuffed at home just to see the meltdown to follow. However, I don't think this Hungary team will be spoken of in the same glowing terms of the 1950's team that showed us how to play football whacking us 7-1 and 6-3.

Hungary and Holland are the best teams never to win the World Cup rather like QPR being the best team never to win the league.

One penalty scored in 4 games for England and tactics that remind me of Southgate's Middlesbrough is sleep inducing and sort of mirrors a lot of QPR games since February.

Anyway since footie was invented in 1992 I don't recall any English manager lifting the Premiership title. Their remit in our game seems to be to keep a team up rather than win anything. It's a big ask expecting Southgate to win a tournament and the best chance went when we went defensive after the early goal against Italy. Qatar will be too hot for us to succeed.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2022 12:23]
Take the knee England. on 12:24 - Jun 15 with 1119 viewsMrSheen

For my personal taste, the Channel 4 coverage is a bad intersection of BT flat-pack blandness (Michael Owen!!!) and Channel 4's insistence on wholesomeness (see also their RL coverage, when Adam Hills couldn't stop raving about the "inclusiveness" of an essentially violent game (which I love). Anyone can play it, but it wasn't just anyone allowed on the pitch. Anyone can buy a ticket, but they can for any sport. What did he mean, and why does that mean anyone else should watch it? He never explained...

The biggest crime is that it's so boring. The most compelling TV sport punditry I can remember was the classic RTE Giles-Dunphy-Souness-Brady panel with Bill winding them up under the guise of keeping them civil. It didn't matter if one or more was drunk, or carrying out some secret agenda or vendetta, or if the whole thing was as fake as wrestling, it was usually more entertaining than the game.

Five white guys over 45...the world has changed and that wouldn't make it on screen now, but they knew what they were talking about even if you didn't agree/like them and it made you think about what you had seen. It doesn't have to be so dull...I'd love more of the new class to step up in a more substantial and illuminating way than Chris Sutton contrived contrariness - it has to be more than one - and be prepared to back up what they say.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2022 12:26]
Take the knee England. on 13:06 - Jun 15 with 965 viewsThrowACherry

Take the knee England. on 11:22 - Jun 15 by knocker

Every live football match on Every network almost without exception have a woman presenter. Some good,some useless but they all have a cervix. What else other than box ticking?

Omg, a woman presenting the football. I must go onto a forum and start a pathetic thread about it. Embarrassing.
Take the knee England. on 13:21 - Jun 15 with 915 viewsNorthernr

Take the knee England. on 11:22 - Jun 15 by knocker

Existing thread on England. And stop using the fact the moderator is on holiday to post provocative shite.

https://loftforwords.fansnetwork.co.uk/forum/286148/thoughts-on-this./#49
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024