Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£25m for Chris Wood? 21:51 - Jan 11 with 8071 viewsAntti_Heinola

Newcastle look absolutely doomed. I think Wood is a decent player (better than I thought he was before he went to Leeds) but £25m?! Seriously?
And people on here say asking £10m for Dykes is ridiculous.

Bare bones.

£25m for Chris Wood? on 12:31 - Jan 12 with 2292 viewsdaveB

When are they going to buy Sandro, is he still 26?
£25m for Chris Wood? on 13:34 - Jan 12 with 2167 viewsdezzar

If Steve Bruce had of made this signing he would have been slaughtered by the fans.Seems a bit desperate, but I just know the jammy gets will stay up . Big game against Watford at weekend.
£25m for Chris Wood? on 13:52 - Jan 12 with 2097 viewsStainrod

In fairness, as we discovered even if money is almost no object its hard to get decent players when you are in their league position. Erling Haaland or Mbappe is not going to want to go to Newcastle, whatever you pay them. So they are forced to spend over the odds on a player they know will just be rotting in the reserves next season (assuming they stay up) probably to be sold a year or two later to a Championship club for a couple of million quid. Its the economics of the mad house, but such is the Premier League. That said, if I were in their shoes I might (for eg) have tested Blackburn's resolve with a similar kind of bid for Brereton.
£25m for Chris Wood? on 13:54 - Jan 12 with 2084 viewsthemodfather

i suggested newky could have dykes for £10m and would offer burnley the same!
£25m for Chris Wood? on 13:54 - Jan 12 with 2083 viewsdezzar

Think its funny how a few months ago they were dancing round with tea towels on their heads saying they were signing Mbappe and Haaland, I think reality will bite them on the arse eventually,, this takeover has something not quite right about it.
£25m for Chris Wood? on 13:59 - Jan 12 with 2058 viewstoboboly

If I were Burnley I would bite their hand off for that then grab Ben Brereton for half of that

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

£25m for Chris Wood? on 14:13 - Jan 12 with 2028 viewsdubaistu

I'd have thought Divock Origi would tick the box.. 6 months left on his Liverpool contract... a nice loan fee and fat wages if they stay up. Isn't that a win-win?
£25m for Chris Wood? on 14:18 - Jan 12 with 1976 viewsSheffieldHoop

Kinda reminds me of when we signed Agyemang

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Login to get fewer ads

£25m for Chris Wood? on 14:37 - Jan 12 with 1960 viewsgolborne

£25m for Chris Wood? on 08:21 - Jan 12 by Northernr

See previous posts about the ludicrous amounts that get paid for big lumpy strikers. Personally, once somebody paid £8m for Gary Madine that was me done with being surprised about transfer fees.

I'll google him
£25m for Chris Wood? on 15:09 - Jan 12 with 1897 viewsPinnerPaul

£25m for Chris Wood? on 22:13 - Jan 11 by nix

They're saying on Sky that they're looking at two players in Europe.

Last time I looked London and Lyndon WERE in Europe!
£25m for Chris Wood? on 15:11 - Jan 12 with 1883 viewsPinnerPaul

£25m for Chris Wood? on 22:43 - Jan 11 by joe90

If Burnley have their eye on a replacement then it’s good business.

The price tag reflects the current market, it’s absolutely nuts!

Newcastle should be thinking about getting in a few defenders, they’ve shifted 42 goals!

Spot on.

They were saying that on MOTD a few weeks ago as well.

They have signed Trippier I guess.
£25m for Chris Wood? on 15:17 - Jan 12 with 1847 viewsAntti_Heinola

£25m for Chris Wood? on 13:59 - Jan 12 by toboboly

If I were Burnley I would bite their hand off for that then grab Ben Brereton for half of that

Good post. I'm so wary of Brereton Diaz though. At Forest a few years ago he looked an absolute monster and I remember it being a real surprise that he went to Blackburn, or that they could afford the massive fee they paid for him. Then, he was rubbish. Then, he played for Chile. And now he's scoring every week.
Is that just finally the flowering of his talent, in a team tailored to him after Armstrong left? Or is he just having a very good, slightly freakish season?
I thought he looked dreadful and very slow against us, but he's been on fire since.

Bare bones.

£25m for Chris Wood? on 15:18 - Jan 12 with 1847 viewseastside_r

£25m for Chris Wood? on 22:43 - Jan 11 by joe90

If Burnley have their eye on a replacement then it’s good business.

The price tag reflects the current market, it’s absolutely nuts!

Newcastle should be thinking about getting in a few defenders, they’ve shifted 42 goals!

Price tag reflects his release clause.

It seems that money will be no object for new Newcastle. You would have thought that they could get better for that price.

Agree, it’s nuts but it may set of a chain for big unwieldy strikers. (Lyndon, cough)
£25m for Chris Wood? on 15:21 - Jan 12 with 1838 viewsMaggsinho

£25m for Chris Wood? on 14:13 - Jan 12 by dubaistu

I'd have thought Divock Origi would tick the box.. 6 months left on his Liverpool contract... a nice loan fee and fat wages if they stay up. Isn't that a win-win?

Doubt Liverpool would let him go with Mane and Salah at AFCON.
£25m for Chris Wood? on 16:32 - Jan 12 with 1756 viewsqprphil

Wood to Newcastle 25m. Dykes to Burnley 15m. Hugill to Rangers 7m. Job done,
£25m for Chris Wood? on 16:36 - Jan 12 with 1749 viewstoboboly

£25m for Chris Wood? on 15:17 - Jan 12 by Antti_Heinola

Good post. I'm so wary of Brereton Diaz though. At Forest a few years ago he looked an absolute monster and I remember it being a real surprise that he went to Blackburn, or that they could afford the massive fee they paid for him. Then, he was rubbish. Then, he played for Chile. And now he's scoring every week.
Is that just finally the flowering of his talent, in a team tailored to him after Armstrong left? Or is he just having a very good, slightly freakish season?
I thought he looked dreadful and very slow against us, but he's been on fire since.

Stick Diaz on the end of anything and it magically becomes better.

My cheese on toast Diaz went down a storm at lunch.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

£25m for Chris Wood? on 18:26 - Jan 12 with 1611 viewsLongsufferingR

£25m for Chris Wood? on 16:32 - Jan 12 by qprphil

Wood to Newcastle 25m. Dykes to Burnley 15m. Hugill to Rangers 7m. Job done,

Blimey, if we spent £7m on Hugill I wouldn't say it was job done, more like we'd been done.
£25m for Chris Wood? on 18:43 - Jan 12 with 1552 viewshantssi

£25m for Chris Wood? on 18:26 - Jan 12 by LongsufferingR

Blimey, if we spent £7m on Hugill I wouldn't say it was job done, more like we'd been done.

Surely he must mean Glasgow Rangers?!
We’re certainly not in the market for a £7M striker especially not Hugill who’s not worth half that!
£25m for Chris Wood? on 18:49 - Jan 12 with 1520 viewsDixie_CT

Damn shame nobody went in for Mitrovic
£25m for Chris Wood? on 18:55 - Jan 12 with 1504 viewsSunnyVanGo

£25m for Chris Wood? on 13:59 - Jan 12 by toboboly

Agree, but everyone knows Burnley now has £25m to burn and so will adjust any business with them accordingly. It’s a money merrily-go-round.
£25m for Chris Wood? on 19:07 - Jan 12 with 1470 viewsLythamR

£25m for Chris Wood? on 18:43 - Jan 12 by hantssi

Surely he must mean Glasgow Rangers?!
We’re certainly not in the market for a £7M striker especially not Hugill who’s not worth half that!

If we sell Dykes i would keep the money for the summer and promote t'armstrong lad who has just come back off loan.
£25m for Chris Wood? on 19:18 - Jan 12 with 1434 viewsQPRMendoza

Whilst I agree Wood is not worth that amount he is still not a bad striker - 50 goals in the EPL in 155 appearances (27 of which were as a sub). Given the great majority were for Burnley in my opinion that's not too bad.
£25m for Chris Wood? on 19:30 - Jan 12 with 1406 viewsAntti_Heinola

£25m for Chris Wood? on 19:18 - Jan 12 by QPRMendoza

Whilst I agree Wood is not worth that amount he is still not a bad striker - 50 goals in the EPL in 155 appearances (27 of which were as a sub). Given the great majority were for Burnley in my opinion that's not too bad.

It's not bad at all, he's a very decent player. But £25m for a 30 year old with three goals this season? We're talking about value for money, not whether he's a good player or not. Even more pertinently, how many strikers did they have on their list above him? I can't believe it was less than 5 or 6. They're in a tight spot - people don't want to go because they might go down, and I don't think people have much confidence the manager will be there in a year. So as much as Howe is saying 'we don't want people who come just for the money', if you're buying top players, what other reason is there for them to go there? Trippier didn't leave Atletico flipping Madrid and one of the best coaches in the world just because he like fishing in the Tyne and gets on well with Howe.

Bare bones.

£25m for Chris Wood? on 19:44 - Jan 12 with 1370 viewskensalriser

£25m for Chris Wood? on 19:30 - Jan 12 by Antti_Heinola

It's not bad at all, he's a very decent player. But £25m for a 30 year old with three goals this season? We're talking about value for money, not whether he's a good player or not. Even more pertinently, how many strikers did they have on their list above him? I can't believe it was less than 5 or 6. They're in a tight spot - people don't want to go because they might go down, and I don't think people have much confidence the manager will be there in a year. So as much as Howe is saying 'we don't want people who come just for the money', if you're buying top players, what other reason is there for them to go there? Trippier didn't leave Atletico flipping Madrid and one of the best coaches in the world just because he like fishing in the Tyne and gets on well with Howe.

Good synopsis there. They are fishing in exactly the same pool we did and will catch exactly the same sort of fish.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

£25m for Chris Wood? on 10:00 - Jan 13 with 1079 viewsEastR

£25m for Chris Wood? on 19:18 - Jan 12 by QPRMendoza

Looking at the bottom of the table as it stands (and it’s been more or less the same for the past few months), it will surely be 2 of Watford, Burnley and Newcastle going down with Norwich.
Leaving the size of the fee aside, Newcastle have arguably weakened one of their rivals with the move. Without an obvious plan for replacement, besides the fans, I’d imagine the management and players at Burnley aren’t delighted with the news.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024