Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
DVLA 11:26 - Mar 1 with 9883 viewsBarrySwan

So had one of those amazing conversations with a government body Friday which I find hard to get my head round.

Now I have to say that my experiences with the DVLA over the years have been pretty good with the odd minor exception but Fridays conversation with D*** surname can't be given ( despite them asking for my full name) from team 35 sums up for me why so many of the public have lost faith with the authorities.

The scenario is that I have been contacted by a number of local residents who have reported a dumped car in their close, the car is shown as being been declared SORN on the .GOV website. The car has been on the public road since October and has been reported both in December and January on the DVLA's anonymous reporting facility on their website with nothing happening in regards the removal of the car.

I suppose like most people including those who had reported the car previously it was imagined that one of those roving DVLA clamping vans.would be provided with the details and either fairly immediately or when next in the area would drive to the location and clamp the car.

So after checking the facts I called up the DVLA to see what was going on, or not as the case is at present.

I won't relay all the almost bizarre conversation with D*** from team 35 but the crux of the conversation went something like this after I enquired as to why the car had not been clamped or removed

DVALA....Sir the car or any other vehicle in a sorned category on the public road will be clamped if one of our vans come across it when in the area.

Me...Yes but that's unlikely as the car is in a small close well into an estate, and surely given that you have the details of the cars location then those details are passed onto the operative of one of your vans for checking out?

DVLA.....Sir when we receive reports from our tip off website facility the current registered keeper of the vehicle of the car is sent a letter telling them to take the car off the public highway.

Me...I see so presumably then the keeper / owner of this car must have ignored two previous letters from the previous two reportings to you? So why haven't you sent a van round to clamp the car?

DVLA....Our vans only clamp cars that they come across whilst patrolling the streets.

Me....What are you talking about? So you clamp cars that the vans stumble across but just send letters to those that are reported by the public despite the DVLA being in full possession of the cars location and despite the public being urged report such vehicles by the DVLA?

DVLA... That's right sir.

Me.... Buts that's nonsensical, those who aren't reported but are caught on the road are clamped but those whose locations are known to you just get a letter to remove the vehicle from the roads despite the fact that it might not be taxed and is shown as having no MOT which I also understand invalidates any insurance policy?

DVLA... Sir the car is Sorned which means it is licensed.

Me....What does that even mean? Presumably its licenced to be on someones drive not the public highway.

DVLA...Sir a Sorned car is licensed vehicle.

Me.... Well can you tell if the car is even taxed or not or if letters actually have gone out on the two previous occasions that the car was reported to you?

DVLA....We're just a call centre we don't hold that information.

ME...Well can you pass me over to someone who can provide more information as to why a reported sorned vehicle owner is just sent a letter whilst a vehicle stumbled across by chance gets clamped and possibly towed away.

I'd have thought it preferable and more time productive to go straight to those vehicles whose location has already been provided by the public and what do you suggest that we do to get the car either made legal for road use or taken away?

DVLA...No you'll have to contact your MP if you wish to to take this any further.

Phone put down in disbelief by myself.

[Post edited 1 Mar 2020 12:27]
DVLA on 22:02 - Mar 1 with 2040 viewsswan65split

Its not an abandoned car if its on sorn. Most Councils will refer you back to DVLA anyway.

Dick from Area 35 lied ,SORN is not a licence its a Notification. and the shyte heap shouldnt be on the road.

Get back to DIck of useless area 35 explain its on the highway maybe not insured make Dick aware of the DVLA responsibilities as they are now aware of the vehicle, if there is a an incident or accident that involves the said pile of junk on the highway stating that DIck 35 knows all about it,

Then send sending them this link..... https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/what-does-sorn-mean/

Then their own https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification

Dick just sounds a dick .
DVLA on 22:15 - Mar 1 with 2016 viewsexiledclaseboy

DVLA on 22:02 - Mar 1 by swan65split

Its not an abandoned car if its on sorn. Most Councils will refer you back to DVLA anyway.

Dick from Area 35 lied ,SORN is not a licence its a Notification. and the shyte heap shouldnt be on the road.

Get back to DIck of useless area 35 explain its on the highway maybe not insured make Dick aware of the DVLA responsibilities as they are now aware of the vehicle, if there is a an incident or accident that involves the said pile of junk on the highway stating that DIck 35 knows all about it,

Then send sending them this link..... https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/what-does-sorn-mean/

Then their own https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification

Dick just sounds a dick .

Why can’t it be abandoned and subject to a SORN?

Poll: Tory leader

DVLA on 22:19 - Mar 1 with 2007 viewsswan65split

DVLA on 22:15 - Mar 1 by exiledclaseboy

Why can’t it be abandoned and subject to a SORN?

if its on SORN it has a keeper, but top of the priorities its not supposed to be on the Highway.

The sad thing to happen would be to see the vehicle being vandalized !!

Then it becomes a hazard , and maybe then the Council may get involved ,
DVLA on 22:22 - Mar 1 with 1997 viewsexiledclaseboy

DVLA on 22:19 - Mar 1 by swan65split

if its on SORN it has a keeper, but top of the priorities its not supposed to be on the Highway.

Oh right. Interesting viewpoint that.

DVLA on 22:23 - Mar 1 with 1993 viewsSwanjaxs

Look, pm me, 50 notes and your car will end up on Penlan common burnt to a crisp (no questions asked) 🔥

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

DVLA on 22:42 - Mar 1 with 1972 viewsswan65split

DVLA on 22:23 - Mar 1 by Swanjaxs

Look, pm me, 50 notes and your car will end up on Penlan common burnt to a crisp (no questions asked) 🔥

Save £50 leave it parked in a car park where a rivers about to flood.
DVLA on 22:43 - Mar 1 with 1971 viewsbuilthjack

DVLA on 16:52 - Mar 1 by BarrySwan

Which still gives us time to report you. It would be hypocritical if we didn't given the sentiments of the thread.

What is the registration number of your car please? And where is it parked?

In a close. In BARRY.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

DVLA on 11:25 - Mar 3 with 1807 viewsCatullus

Surely the keeper could have declared a SORN but then later on dumped the car and abandoned it?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

DVLA on 14:00 - Mar 3 with 1760 viewsswan65split

DVLA on 11:25 - Mar 3 by Catullus

Surely the keeper could have declared a SORN but then later on dumped the car and abandoned it?

Hes still the keeper, still responsible ,only selling or scrapping then you dont become the keeper, DVLA have written to the keeper. if its reported again they should take action.

edit
PS
Could also be said if hes abandoned it , could be done for illegal dumping!
But as with this Country, no one wants to do anything unless its the obvious and easiest!!!
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 14:23]
DVLA on 09:33 - Mar 4 with 1685 viewsswan65split

DVLA on 11:25 - Mar 3 by Catullus

Best place he could have left it is Cardiff in that case, my mate came around last night , hes a Scumdiff fan, he knows someone who took a work colleague from London to watch them play Brentford, they left the car a Merc 200 series in the streets, came back to find someone had sawn the front off!!!!
DVLA on 10:39 - Mar 4 with 1659 viewstheloneranger

DVLA on 09:33 - Mar 4 by swan65split

Best place he could have left it is Cardiff in that case, my mate came around last night , hes a Scumdiff fan, he knows someone who took a work colleague from London to watch them play Brentford, they left the car a Merc 200 series in the streets, came back to find someone had sawn the front off!!!!

... "sawn the front off!!!!"

Don't you mean SORN the front off! 😇

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

DVLA on 12:19 - Mar 4 with 1614 viewsswan65split

DVLA on 10:39 - Mar 4 by theloneranger

... "sawn the front off!!!!"

Don't you mean SORN the front off! 😇

Nice one
DVLA on 16:21 - Mar 4 with 1573 viewsBarrySwan

DVLA on 14:00 - Mar 3 by swan65split

Hes still the keeper, still responsible ,only selling or scrapping then you dont become the keeper, DVLA have written to the keeper. if its reported again they should take action.

edit
PS
Could also be said if hes abandoned it , could be done for illegal dumping!
But as with this Country, no one wants to do anything unless its the obvious and easiest!!!
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 14:23]

The car has been placed on the road while sorned by a resident whose house is opposite, he has apparently made a habit of doing this on a frequent basis. So the car hasn't been abandoned by kept on the public highway by a local; resident.

Anyway the good news is that apparently the 'enforcers' as they have been described by a neighbours wife in a phone call to him have been around today and have been taking photos of the sorned car.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 17:52]
DVLA on 17:26 - Mar 4 with 1551 viewsswan65split

DVLA on 16:21 - Mar 4 by BarrySwan

The car has been placed on the road while sorned by a resident whose house is opposite, he has apparently made a habit of doing this on a frequent basis. So the car hasn't been abandoned by kept on the public highway by a local; resident.

Anyway the good news is that apparently the 'enforcers' as they have been described by a neighbours wife in a phone call to him have been around today and have been taking photos of the sorned car.

its sorted then...wont be long, unless the keeper is a Twot, then it"ll b back.
DVLA on 18:09 - Mar 4 with 1530 viewsexiledclaseboy

DVLA on 16:21 - Mar 4 by BarrySwan

Changed your story now, Councillor.

DVLA on 18:50 - Mar 4 with 1510 viewslondonlisa2001

Just catching up with developments, as I’ve been deeply concerned to be honest.

Am I right in saying that, in summary, someone has parked their car in the road outside their own house? And their neighbours have been up in arms about its tax status? So they’ve seen a neighbour’s car, and decided to look up its tax status on line. And report it to a councillor rather than just speaking to their neighbour? And the councillor has been calling the DVLA?

Wow. I hope someone has secured the film rights.
DVLA on 19:00 - Mar 4 with 1495 viewsLohengrin

DVLA on 18:50 - Mar 4 by londonlisa2001

Am I right in saying that, in summary, someone has parked their car in the road outside their own house? And their neighbours have been up in arms about its tax status? So they’ve seen a neighbour’s car, and decided to look up its tax status on line. And report it to a councillor rather than just speaking to their neighbour? And the councillor has been calling the DVLA?

”Wow. I hope someone has secured the film rights.”

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

DVLA on 19:13 - Mar 4 with 1478 viewslondonlisa2001

DVLA on 19:00 - Mar 4 by Lohengrin

”Wow. I hope someone has secured the film rights.”

That’s a wonderful film / play. I love Alan Bennett. I watched The History Boys again this week. I love his use of language.
DVLA on 19:17 - Mar 4 with 1473 viewslegoman

DVLA on 15:52 - Mar 1 by Jackfath

Why not set up a residents go fund me page? Raise enough money through community spirit building events to get the offending vehicle removed. Any surplus could be given to a local charity. Who knows from this tricky situation could develop into a close knit community once more.

I never realised Nick Knowles posted on Planet Swans

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

DVLA on 21:43 - Mar 4 with 1414 viewsBarrySwan

DVLA on 18:09 - Mar 4 by exiledclaseboy

Changed your story now, Councillor.

Err no I haven't.

I had to get officers within the council involved to request / demand that something was done following my less than successful phone conversation

As mentioned earlier DVLA had failed to do anything constructive in the two earlier reportings of the vehicle and you of course have the rough transcript of my conversation with the representative of team 35 the mysterious D*** no surname 'Not allowed to give it out sir, by the way what's your full name sir"

I suppose that it would inspire more confidence in the general public if informing the DVLA of SORN or untaxed vehicles on the road that DVLA actually carried out the very onerous task of driving round to the supplied location in the first instance and not after 3 reportings and further follow up from the local authority.
DVLA on 21:48 - Mar 4 with 1405 viewsWarwickHunt

DVLA on 21:43 - Mar 4 by BarrySwan

Err no I haven't.

I had to get officers within the council involved to request / demand that something was done following my less than successful phone conversation

As mentioned earlier DVLA had failed to do anything constructive in the two earlier reportings of the vehicle and you of course have the rough transcript of my conversation with the representative of team 35 the mysterious D*** no surname 'Not allowed to give it out sir, by the way what's your full name sir"

I suppose that it would inspire more confidence in the general public if informing the DVLA of SORN or untaxed vehicles on the road that DVLA actually carried out the very onerous task of driving round to the supplied location in the first instance and not after 3 reportings and further follow up from the local authority.

Have you considered getting a hobby?
DVLA on 21:53 - Mar 4 with 1394 viewsBarrySwan

DVLA on 18:50 - Mar 4 by londonlisa2001

No little Miss Smarty Pants, always got the answers.

You would however be right in saying that a resident has over the course of several years dumped a number of unroadworthy untaxed un Mot'd non insured vehicles on the public highway to rot away in the close that he lives in to the understandable annoyance of the rest of the residents who presumably go to the trouble and expense of paying through the nose for their road tax insurance and keeping their cars roadworthy.

In regards to your rather dismissive comments about it apparently being more or less fine to not have any road tax I would counter with my own and I'm sure other road users views that £Millions of pounds are being lost each year by those who your sympathies appear to lie with not bothering to pay whilst the rest of us do.

I mean when the physical tax disc was abolished who on earth could possibly have been surprised to read the other week that road tax avoidance has increased substantially.

Except of course the morons who scrapped the easily checked tax discs.

I've no doubt that you'll be whining about the lack of tax dollars available for hospitals and social services someway down the line whilst dismissing no car tax as no big deal commented on only by nosey neighbours in a circumstances that you know next to nothing about.
DVLA on 22:05 - Mar 4 with 1381 viewsexiledclaseboy

DVLA on 21:48 - Mar 4 by WarwickHunt

Have you considered getting a hobby?

He’s got one. He’s a councillor who shirks his legal obligations.

DVLA on 23:10 - Mar 4 with 1349 viewslondonlisa2001

DVLA on 21:53 - Mar 4 by BarrySwan

No little Miss Smarty Pants, always got the answers.

You would however be right in saying that a resident has over the course of several years dumped a number of unroadworthy untaxed un Mot'd non insured vehicles on the public highway to rot away in the close that he lives in to the understandable annoyance of the rest of the residents who presumably go to the trouble and expense of paying through the nose for their road tax insurance and keeping their cars roadworthy.

In regards to your rather dismissive comments about it apparently being more or less fine to not have any road tax I would counter with my own and I'm sure other road users views that £Millions of pounds are being lost each year by those who your sympathies appear to lie with not bothering to pay whilst the rest of us do.

I mean when the physical tax disc was abolished who on earth could possibly have been surprised to read the other week that road tax avoidance has increased substantially.

Except of course the morons who scrapped the easily checked tax discs.

I've no doubt that you'll be whining about the lack of tax dollars available for hospitals and social services someway down the line whilst dismissing no car tax as no big deal commented on only by nosey neighbours in a circumstances that you know next to nothing about.

I rarely moan about tax dollars. Largely because I’m not an American.

I’m glad you’ve sorted it now though. Good for you, I’ve no time for people not paying their tax. Nor for people who shirk their responsibilities in any way to be honest..,
DVLA on 08:23 - Mar 5 with 1273 viewsWarwickHunt

DVLA on 22:05 - Mar 4 by exiledclaseboy

He’s got one. He’s a councillor who shirks his legal obligations.

Probably wants to bring back hanging. Oh, the irony.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024