Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? 16:39 - Jul 18 with 16712 viewsNov77

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/qpr-make-shock-admis
[Post edited 18 Jul 2014 16:40]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 20:00 - Jul 21 with 1783 viewsTopCat34

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 18:34 - Jul 21 by RangersAreBack

Listen carefully, I shall say this only once. FERNANDES DID NOT BUY THE CLUB. He is part of a consortium that together purchased a share.

Mittal was interested in buying Briatore and Ecclestone's share. He made an offer that was rejected because it did not meet their valuation. Mittal refused to increase his offer because he knew the only way Briatore and Ecclestone could get their valuation was to sell QPR as a premier league club before the transfer window closed.

Unfortunately for Mittal, Briatore and Ecclestone went up and down the paddocks desperately looking for interest in buying their share and found it in Fernandes. He convinced a few mates to chip in and together they bought a share of the club.

Had Briatore and Ecclestone not found Fernandes before the transfer window closed, the valuation would have tumbled and they would have had little option but re-consider Mittal's offer. Had this happened, Mittal would have owned the club lock, stock and barrel and I suspect QPR would be in better shape than they are today.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2014 18:50]

I understand that Fernandes is part of a consortium, so saying it once is fine by me. I don't understand the significance of it really, whether he has done it on his own or with a consortium is by the by. I think they've done an OK job, and we could certainly be doing a lot worse.

Perhaps (and this is all idle speculation) the Mittals would have created a better club, I can't see them as being so lenient with wages and transfer fees. But, then Warnock was their man and they may well have caved to Barton/Young & Wright Phillips. But, they clearly didn't have a strong enough interest as to mount a serious bid, whether they thought the valuation would tumble or not, from what you say it appears they played a risky game and it backfired. Perhaps, they were more sensible and realised the work that needed to be done, and thought the club was in such a poor state that it wouldn't attract any offers. Ultimately they left the club in the lurch, and maybe they could have rode in to the rescue if the window was shut, but the club wouldn't have been able to recover from such little investment and would have been relegated. Warnock would have retired (probably) and we would have been in the exact same position.

I think Briatore and Ecclestone would have still pushed for their valuation. They wanted to get as much back as they possibly could.
QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 20:07 - Jul 21 with 1770 viewsWeaverQPR

I would prefer Bhatia as chairman and TF in the background doing what he does best and getting sponsorship money in. Chats too much nonsense and likes the limelight abit too much imo.
Just seen a clip of him talking about transfers and at the end says 'I'm back on twitter'. Give it a rest tone please.

@WeavQPR

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 20:41 - Jul 21 with 1741 viewsadhoc_qpr

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 18:02 - Jul 21 by BostonR

Who's debt is it? If I am not mistaken there was a qoute recently attributed to the shareholders that basically said the debt is there problem. They may well write it off.

If they were going to write off the debt, don't you think they might have done so before we breached the Fair Play rules?
QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 21:16 - Jul 21 with 1706 viewsSpiritofGregory

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 20:00 - Jul 21 by TopCat34

I understand that Fernandes is part of a consortium, so saying it once is fine by me. I don't understand the significance of it really, whether he has done it on his own or with a consortium is by the by. I think they've done an OK job, and we could certainly be doing a lot worse.

Perhaps (and this is all idle speculation) the Mittals would have created a better club, I can't see them as being so lenient with wages and transfer fees. But, then Warnock was their man and they may well have caved to Barton/Young & Wright Phillips. But, they clearly didn't have a strong enough interest as to mount a serious bid, whether they thought the valuation would tumble or not, from what you say it appears they played a risky game and it backfired. Perhaps, they were more sensible and realised the work that needed to be done, and thought the club was in such a poor state that it wouldn't attract any offers. Ultimately they left the club in the lurch, and maybe they could have rode in to the rescue if the window was shut, but the club wouldn't have been able to recover from such little investment and would have been relegated. Warnock would have retired (probably) and we would have been in the exact same position.

I think Briatore and Ecclestone would have still pushed for their valuation. They wanted to get as much back as they possibly could.

I relation to would have Mittal created a better club, yes he would have because he demonstrated that he is shrewd. Amit would be running the club, we wouldn't have a huge debt and we wouldn't be facing a substantial fine.

I bet T & C couldn't believe their lucky when Fernandes came along, they must have been sweating at the thought of having to go back to Mittal with a begging bowl when the transfer window shut because without investment that team was going to get thrashed week in, week out and the club's value would have plummeted.

At the moment we are in £177m debt and facing a huge fine. All of a sudden Fernandes is saying that we have to cut our cloth accordingly and somehow stay up. How are we supposed to cut our cloth if we still don't have a decent scouting system? That debt is out of control and won't be solved anytime soon.
QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 03:25 - Jul 22 with 1608 viewsRangersAreBack

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 20:00 - Jul 21 by TopCat34

It's not by the by. Stating that Fernandes bought the club is inaccurate and creates the wrong impression which, in turn, fosters false expectations.

A consortium which consists of people of varying wealth is not going to be as flexible as a one-owner billionaire like Abramovich. Roman can set the Chelsea budget without interference and is only limited by his own wealth and ambition. Fernandes, by contrast, is accountable to the consortium and dependent on their wealth. Even if he secures their approval for investment in QPR, the amount they invest is likely to be proportionate to their shareholding rather than their wealth. Consequently we miss out on some of MIttal's wealth.

As for Briatore and Ecclestone, they could not have pushed for their valuation beyond the transfer window because they were unprepared to finance new recruits. Consequently the club would have been shoe-ins for relegation and worth less to potential buyers.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2014 3:30]
QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 09:32 - Jul 22 with 1542 viewsWestbourneR

I have to say this is the worst news and the worst quotes I've heard coming form Fernandes' mouth since he's been at Rangers. Everything he says about the unimportance of a training ground is wrong, totally wrong.

And if he really believed it why did has he spent so much time trying to get a better one?

Warren Farm is the future of this football club. End of.

So worrying, so pissed off.

It must be to do with money. The 'I've had enough of waiting thing' is a blatant smoke screen. I tend to agree with however ever says the consortium must be feeling the pinch. I don't think the cash is around.

Does anyone know if Fernandes at al invested heavily in Malaysia Airlines? I have a memory that they did.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 09:34 - Jul 22 with 1537 viewsdaveB

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 09:32 - Jul 22 by WestbourneR

I have to say this is the worst news and the worst quotes I've heard coming form Fernandes' mouth since he's been at Rangers. Everything he says about the unimportance of a training ground is wrong, totally wrong.

And if he really believed it why did has he spent so much time trying to get a better one?

Warren Farm is the future of this football club. End of.

So worrying, so pissed off.

It must be to do with money. The 'I've had enough of waiting thing' is a blatant smoke screen. I tend to agree with however ever says the consortium must be feeling the pinch. I don't think the cash is around.

Does anyone know if Fernandes at al invested heavily in Malaysia Airlines? I have a memory that they did.

He sold his share in them a few years ago
QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 09:53 - Jul 22 with 1517 viewsdaveB

Some really interesting points on here and can understand the anger from some, I agree with many that not doing Warren Farm or a new training ground elsewhere will be a big blow. I think we need to do more with coaching and scouting at that level regardless but the simple thing of having a nice place to work every day is a massive factor in getting players to join.

Fernandes did say it was something to be raised in a board meeting rather than this is something we are definitely scrapping and I think when the fans groups have the next meeting with the club this should be raised and strong arguments as to why we need this should be made as this is a crucial decision imo.
Login to get fewer ads

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 10:55 - Jul 22 with 1488 viewsconnell10

The thing that really pisses me off is that this new training ground was al the boards idea! They kept feeding us the line we need a new training ground for the future of our club. We all agreed and brought into this idea! Then all of a sudden its oh we dont really need a new training ground etc!! Thats whats mad me bloody angry, they raised our hopes on to back track!!! As j stated before IF CANT WALK THE WALK DONT TALK THE TALK!!!!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 11:47 - Jul 22 with 1449 viewsJonDoeman

http://qprreport.proboards.com/post/360289/thread

It Is What It Is !!

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 13:08 - Jul 22 with 1400 viewsNov77

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/local-news/community-forum-wins-david-goliat

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 13:15 - Jul 22 with 1388 viewsmikeygunn

What a bunch of A-Holes.
QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 13:27 - Jul 22 with 1378 viewsR_from_afar

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 18:03 - Jul 21 by TopCat34

Really don't understand the flak TF's getting. Must be one of the most honest,open and supporter conscious chairmen in the Premier League. There are clubs out there with owners far worse than TF, you only have to look at the previous regime here to see that. Ok, we've not advanced a great deal in terms of our position, but you can be certain that we wouldn't be in a significantly better position had Briatore and co not managed to sell. Ok, the board made huge mistakes in terms of signing players, and contracts but they also created a better relationship between the board and supporters, that really doesn't exist at many other clubs. I can't believe that any other perspective buyers would have kept Warnock, and not tried to sign hundreds of players. Especially if it was the first time they were buying a club. Actually, I can't remember anyone else being interested in buying the club, it wasn't exactly a case of Briatore picking his best offer. He was picking his only offer. So, actually we are significantly better off than being owner less, or up for sale for months and months, wouldn't have been surprised if we plummeted through the leagues in that situation. NW said the conditions at the club at the time when Briatore was trying to sell meant so many players turned us down. I doubt we'd have been able to put a team out had Fernandes not bought the club. We are back where we started, but it was always going to be difficult, and the board definitely seem to have more of a contingency plan in place.

[Post edited 21 Jul 2014 18:05]

Some excellent points in here. To say that we were in the Prem when TF took over so we are standing still is to ignore the harsh reality of trying to survive in the top division.

We need to wait and see what actually happens re. Warren Farm. I want it to go ahead but I think the most important thing is for actual, tangible progress to be made on improving the training set-up, whether that means improvements at Harlington or WF going ahead. Some concrete progress is now urgently required, something beyond "plans".

We also need to stop taking this binary approach to Tony. Some of what he does is good, some bad. Knee jerk "Tony out. We want our Rangers back" type approaches risk biting the hand that feeds us. Make no mistake, there is *not* a long line of eye-wateringly wealthy potential owners waiting to plough their millions into a small yo-yo club with a tiny (though lovely) ground and utterly woeful infrastructure. Some fans do talk as if Bill Gates, Elon Musk and sundry Russian billionaires are involved in a duel to the death for the right to take us over.

While I am here, I may have got this wrong - and please correct me with the appropriate quotes if I have - but I do not recall Tony ever "promising" to resign if we got relegated. I think the actual quote being referred to is this one:
"If it goes wrong and people think I'm the wrong chairman, I'll step down, but my investment will stay. It's here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21312589

I also pray we are not going to see "fans turning" on Tony. All that will do is jeopardise the future of our own club. When we are unhappy, we should of course register our discontent but it is better to work with our current owners than to try to scare them off in the vain hope that there are equally wealthy but better alternative owners just waiting to step into the breach. There are calm and constructive ways in which our discontent can be communicated. I dread the thought of unruly and threatening protests and us fans scaring off our current owners, leaving us not so much staring into the abyss as tumbling down it.

Let's work with Tony and the board to make this work. Man, I hope we can make it work.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 14:45 - Jul 22 with 1324 viewsLoft1979

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 13:27 - Jul 22 by R_from_afar

Some excellent points in here. To say that we were in the Prem when TF took over so we are standing still is to ignore the harsh reality of trying to survive in the top division.

We need to wait and see what actually happens re. Warren Farm. I want it to go ahead but I think the most important thing is for actual, tangible progress to be made on improving the training set-up, whether that means improvements at Harlington or WF going ahead. Some concrete progress is now urgently required, something beyond "plans".

We also need to stop taking this binary approach to Tony. Some of what he does is good, some bad. Knee jerk "Tony out. We want our Rangers back" type approaches risk biting the hand that feeds us. Make no mistake, there is *not* a long line of eye-wateringly wealthy potential owners waiting to plough their millions into a small yo-yo club with a tiny (though lovely) ground and utterly woeful infrastructure. Some fans do talk as if Bill Gates, Elon Musk and sundry Russian billionaires are involved in a duel to the death for the right to take us over.

While I am here, I may have got this wrong - and please correct me with the appropriate quotes if I have - but I do not recall Tony ever "promising" to resign if we got relegated. I think the actual quote being referred to is this one:
"If it goes wrong and people think I'm the wrong chairman, I'll step down, but my investment will stay. It's here:

I also pray we are not going to see "fans turning" on Tony. All that will do is jeopardise the future of our own club. When we are unhappy, we should of course register our discontent but it is better to work with our current owners than to try to scare them off in the vain hope that there are equally wealthy but better alternative owners just waiting to step into the breach. There are calm and constructive ways in which our discontent can be communicated. I dread the thought of unruly and threatening protests and us fans scaring off our current owners, leaving us not so much staring into the abyss as tumbling down it.

Let's work with Tony and the board to make this work. Man, I hope we can make it work.

RFA

Two great posts...well done.
QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 15:23 - Jul 22 with 1299 viewsQPR_John

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 20:41 - Jul 21 by adhoc_qpr

If they were going to write off the debt, don't you think they might have done so before we breached the Fair Play rules?

Have we breached FFP yet. I understood it will be based on the next set of accounts. I really wish somebody could clear this up once and for all. Maybe with any hope all involved, EUFA/FA etc will let it disappear with a dignified death.
QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 15:30 - Jul 22 with 1289 viewsRangersAreBack

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 13:27 - Jul 22 by R_from_afar

RFA

Some awful points in here. Whether you like it or not we are back at square one, only this time we are saddled with huge debt with nothing tangible to show for it. Sticking your head in the sand and hoping for the best just because Uncle Tony gives you a coke and a smile is simply naive.

This is no knee jerk "Tony out" campaign, this is a considered opinion on the role of chairman. TF's investment is welcome and there is no reason why he shouldn't take up another position on the board. However his track record as chairman is poor. If he pulls out of Warren Farm, then it has gone wrong, he is the wrong chairman and he should step down (and not return 3 weeks later).
QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 17:15 - Jul 22 with 1221 viewsR_from_afar

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 15:30 - Jul 22 by RangersAreBack

Some awful points in here. Whether you like it or not we are back at square one, only this time we are saddled with huge debt with nothing tangible to show for it. Sticking your head in the sand and hoping for the best just because Uncle Tony gives you a coke and a smile is simply naive.

This is no knee jerk "Tony out" campaign, this is a considered opinion on the role of chairman. TF's investment is welcome and there is no reason why he shouldn't take up another position on the board. However his track record as chairman is poor. If he pulls out of Warren Farm, then it has gone wrong, he is the wrong chairman and he should step down (and not return 3 weeks later).

How can being back in the Prem, with all the riches it brings, be considered "nothing tangible"? Perhaps we should ask Bolton about that.

I don't see how I am "sticking my head in the sand". After all, I said I wanted to see something tangible happen vis-a-vis the training ground; I wrote the following (note the last line):

"We need to wait and see what actually happens re. Warren Farm. I want it to go ahead but I think the most important thing is for actual, tangible progress to be made on improving the training set-up, whether that means improvements at Harlington or WF going ahead. Some concrete progress is now urgently required, something beyond "plans"".

I am beginning to think you may be right about TF stepping down as chairman if we abandon the Warren Farm plans, mind. I think that might be a diplomatic thing to do. He might be best operating behind the scenes if such a flagship project runs aground. If he stepped down voluntarily - whilst still remaining on the board - I do think fans would appreciate the fact he is accepting most of the blame for the failure of the that grand plan.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 17:54 - Jul 22 with 1190 viewsNov77

QPR to scrap Warren Farm plans and stay at Harlington? on 18:34 - Jul 22 with 1164 viewsderbyhoop

Apparently the local groups want "to work with Ealing Council to find grants and funding for a 21st century sports pavilion". As Ealing Council haven't got the proverbial pot, i wish them luck with that aim. Don't expect anything to be done in the next 20 years.

They'd be far better accepting the court decision and working with QPR to get a less intrusive facility and greater community use.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024