Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? 10:43 - May 17 with 7402 viewsNorthernr

As part of the build up this week, going to run a special history column about our three previous visits to Wembley (yes, including 1986) and for this I'd like people who were there on the four trips to answer some questions for us to include in the piece. So we'll start with 1967 if we can, few questions below for those of you lucky enough to be there....

1 - What was the highlight of the run to the final for you? What are your memories of the victories against Leicester and Birmingham?
2 - What was the preparation for the final like? How did you get your tickets, how much did they cost, where in the ground were you?
3 - What was the atmosphere like, describe the moment the teams came out, and the goals went in, and the cup was lifted....
4 - What was the game like? What are your abiding memories of the match?
5 - How did you celebrate afterwards?
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 12:29 - May 18 with 2461 viewsPinnerR

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 12:09 - May 18 by onlyrinmoray

Agree with you Mick, Ian Sanderson was the unsung hero He got the ball and passed it to the big names worked his socks off. Then again Mick Leach wasn't appreciated at all either.
Rodney was the Ashley Young of his day ridiculous diving but how we laughed as he was one of ours
I went to the Final cant remember much about it to be fair But watching the DVD brought it all back Remember going to the stadium a week before the game and buying 2tickets for me and my mate Roger Wootton Went to the Carlisle game Leicester and Birmingham home leg great days

Keith Sanderson
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 12:41 - May 18 with 2461 viewsTheBlob

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 12:09 - May 18 by onlyrinmoray

Agree with you Mick, Ian Sanderson was the unsung hero He got the ball and passed it to the big names worked his socks off. Then again Mick Leach wasn't appreciated at all either.
Rodney was the Ashley Young of his day ridiculous diving but how we laughed as he was one of ours
I went to the Final cant remember much about it to be fair But watching the DVD brought it all back Remember going to the stadium a week before the game and buying 2tickets for me and my mate Roger Wootton Went to the Carlisle game Leicester and Birmingham home leg great days

Well yeah,Rodders was probably the first British player to that and it was kind of hilarious,especially the league game against Plymouth where he got called a "dying swan" by their manager.He tried it once too often, it backfired and the refs were ignoring genuine claims - he got kicked all over the place in some of those away fixtures.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 14:30 - May 18 with 2421 viewssexton

Keith Sanderson was a genuine amateur. His job was something in computing at a time when something in computing was mysterious and glamorous.

That side had what many of us would regard as a classic Rangers blend - homegrown youth (Hazell, Sibley, the Morgan twins), experience (Allen,Lazarus, Langley) and a maverick - Rodney.
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 14:44 - May 18 with 2419 viewsShotKneesHoop

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 14:30 - May 18 by sexton

Keith Sanderson was a genuine amateur. His job was something in computing at a time when something in computing was mysterious and glamorous.

That side had what many of us would regard as a classic Rangers blend - homegrown youth (Hazell, Sibley, the Morgan twins), experience (Allen,Lazarus, Langley) and a maverick - Rodney.

Don't forget two more home growners - Ronnie Hunt and Mike Keen. Keen had been through thick and thin with Rangers since 1961 so if anyone deserved a medal - he did.

And Keith Sanderson was working for IBM.
[Post edited 18 May 2014 14:45]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 16:40 - May 18 with 2389 viewsbatmanhoop

I was 11 and went with my Dad and a mate also from Batman Close. Remember being allowed to stay up late to watch the highlights of the Birmingham away game. The BBC announcer, Bough or Coleman, saying it was an extraordinary game, got me worried, had we been thrashed? The wait for my Dad to come home from work, Saturday morning being part of the working week in them days, seemed to be an eternity. It just got better as the day went on, to be 2-0 down and win is what dreams are made of. The best day of my life supporting this wonderful club of ours
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 19:57 - May 18 with 2326 viewsNoDiddley

Right I'll put me 2 tuppence in & in no particular order.
Went to Birmingham semi-final home game as a 9 year old, my Dad (a Gooner but his mates were R's) took me & my brother. Got the met line from East London as we moved 5 years earlier from the Church Street market area of NW8. My brother spotted some floodlights in the distance on the train so tells us we need to get off! So here we are at Latimer Road. Had to wait for next train & made the walk to the ground.
My Dad tells me I sat behind Leonard Rossiter (was he well known then?) Just remember the Rodnee chants as the goals went in.
The final.
Mum made soft rolls with Ham, got there early & our standing tickets were right behind the goal where all five were scored. Sat down for nearly 2 hours before kick off which was 3.30.
Anyway some kid try to muscle his way in front of me where I'd been for ages, so I had a bit of a scuffle as my Dad tells me later. Remember the Clive Clark goals & thinking this is shite!
After the comeback & the final whistle I have only ONE defining memory. My brother who turned into a Spurs fan was crying his eyes out, a Policeman near by says "You alright son why are you crying? His reply "Because I'm Happy"
If you have a copy of Alec Stocks book A Little Thing Called Pride there is a photo of the winning goal being scored, I can make out my Dad, me & my brother in the crowd.
I still have my ticket & Rosette framed up in my house.
A day to remember
STILL GOING ROLL ON SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 21:36 - May 18 with 2304 viewskingo

I was 10 at the time and can't remember much about the lead up to the game, apart from seeing skinheads for the first time and laughing at them because they wore braces and big boots. Once I was inside Wembley it was like nothing else that I had experienced before. The noise was something else and as others have said the Rooooodneeee, Roooodneeee just kept going round in waves. Also remember the L, L ,L,L, Lazarus one as well. When the teams came out it was a bit weird as both had changed kits, apparently for the black and white telly viewers. I remember my uncle being very pleased because their keeper was not their usual one and he felt that this gave us a chance, he was right as well. Too young to celebrate, I think we went to my aunties in her posh house in Tokyngton for a cup of tea and a cake, before heading back to the relative slums of Kensal Green.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 11:01 - May 19 with 2217 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Superb thread. Enjoyed reading it all.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 13:56 - May 19 with 2169 viewsAddinall

Living in Suffolk at the time I didn't get to many games at Loftus Road.It was an away game at Cochester where I first heard the famous "Rodneee" chant and saw the great man score in a 3-1 win.

Run up to final highlight was seeing us win away at Birmingham on,I think,BBC's Sportsnight without knowing the score late in the evening.

My ticket was obtained by my friend Don Riches, a Fulham fan
who met me on the steps at the stadium.Turnstiles B,entrance 21 in the east standing enclosure.5/- or 25p to be within half a pitch length of my seat this week which is £ 64 (£ 32 really as I am now a concession).

Great atmosphere.Clive Clark,one of ours really,put a damper on things with a couple of first half goals.But then we scored.Spirits lifted and Rodney equalised with me yelling at him to pass it!Lazarus's goal might have been disallowed but as I watched the ref he wheeled away instantly to point to the centre and signal a goal.Pandemonium from then on in and I didn't stop applauding until the last player,Langley I think,disappeared down the tunnel.

A thrilling game for the West Brom fans in the first half and for us in the second.My abiding memory(I can still see it) is the ball hitting the post when Marsh shot and time seeming to stand still until it finally crossed the line.

Drove back home to Suffolk grabbed a beer for me and an exotic cocktail for my wife before getting her out of bed to watch the highlights on BBC.She wasn't too pleased I think but then as now she understood.

Coming from North Norfolk this time by train and hope to be celebrating again.
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 14:00 - May 19 with 2166 viewsNov77

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 18:51 - May 19 with 2079 viewsmorgantwin

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 14:00 - May 19 by Nov77

well i was of course only 12 years old,it was a very strange situation because all the children,who had no interest at all in football were all exited,we lived in greenford middlesex
it was mass hysteria cars were just painted in old paint knowbody seemed to care what damage they did to the paintwork
many throw away cars were brought just to discard them at wembley,everybody who was of the age to drink was very drunk
the atmospere in the qpr fans when we were two nil down was horrible i was crying out loud like a baby
my beautifull rangers were being destroyed i feared a four nil drubbing by this classy west brom side who were fifth in the top division
it was so sad
then in the second half jimmy langley seemed to become superman he chsrged up that line repeatedly,keith sanderson was grafting
slowly we seemed to be driving them forward,the unbelievable was happening,the west brom rear guard was crumbleing
and mike keen keith sanderson and jimmy langley were the driving force behind this miracle
when a cross came over roger morgan scored a lovely header,all around me you could pick up this incredible feeling that a miracle could happen
then rodney collecyted the ball and drilled in a low speculective shot that hit the post and skidded into the net
all of a sudden everybody wass now singing loudly and qpr fans started to believ our third goal was a scrambled affair with the ball dropping to lazarus who finished positively
then it was getting caught up in this increrdible sea of rangers comming out of the stadium
everywhere i looked there was people i knew from greenford so we had our own walk home we
thousands of vehicles all discarded painted up in qpr colours with slogans written all over them
three brentford fans i knew all changed over to qpr over this result,it was at that time one of our most sensational times in our history

Poll: in last fifty years what was greatest ever atmosphere

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 20:52 - May 19 with 2029 viewswelwynranger

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 09:26 - May 18 by derbyhoop

The 2 highlights for me had to be the Mark Lazarus incident and the Leicester game. I don't think I went to either of the Birmingham games. I probably couldn't get tickets on a school night. Lazarus had ripped his shorts, somebody had given him a new pair, and he'd removed the old ones and still had the new ones in his hand when somebody passed to him. He set off down the right wing with the shorts waving. I was right behind the goal for the Leicester game. Les Allen chipped the best keeper in the world from 25 yards and it hit the bar. Banks turned round and the rebound hit him in the chest and bounced over the line. Banks' reaction was priceless but the reaction of the crowd was electric. We went on to beat a top side 4-2.

I'd been to Wembley the previous year for 2 of the World Cup games, including the semi final against Portugal. But this time it was our club. My brother and I queued for tickets at Loftus Road. I cannot remember the price now, but 5 shillings sounds about right.

Wembley was amazing. I don't know where all the QPR fans came from but we sold out our end. Everybody was singing until the game started. By half time it looked like the dream was over. Clive Clark had taken young Tony Hazell to the cleaners and scored twice. We were getting battered. But the second half was a complete turnaround. I don't remember much about the first goal but Rodney's equaliser was special. He picked the ball up in the centre circle and set off towards goal, leaving a trail of West Brom players in his wake. He let fly from just outside the box and it crept in off the post. We finally believed that we could cause an upset. The winner sent us all delirious. Of course, it wouldn't be allowed today. Ronnie Hunt clattered their keeper (John Osborne?) and Lazarus was on hand to knock it in.
After the game I remember all the Rangers players dancing on the pitch and Mike Keen being parade round on other players shoulders.
The papers were full of it the next day. How could a Third Division club have triumphed over a good First Division club like WBA? But we did.

All of the comments have been spot on. I walked to Wembley with my dad and hundreds of Rangers fans. Great day never forgotten.Although I was only 12 I was in the pub in Kilburn until 1 oclock in the morning my mum went mad but my dad did not care. My abiding memory was the News Of The World the next morning it was a two page spread picture of the winning goal with the headline " NOT JUST A WIN BUT A SUPREME VICTORY". I have a copy of that newspaper and a match ticket and programme in my loft. They have moved with me 5 times. Match ticket was 5 shillings standing behind the goal in which all the goals were scored.
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 22:46 - May 19 with 2002 viewsShotKneesHoop

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 20:52 - May 19 by welwynranger

All of the comments have been spot on. I walked to Wembley with my dad and hundreds of Rangers fans. Great day never forgotten.Although I was only 12 I was in the pub in Kilburn until 1 oclock in the morning my mum went mad but my dad did not care. My abiding memory was the News Of The World the next morning it was a two page spread picture of the winning goal with the headline " NOT JUST A WIN BUT A SUPREME VICTORY". I have a copy of that newspaper and a match ticket and programme in my loft. They have moved with me 5 times. Match ticket was 5 shillings standing behind the goal in which all the goals were scored.

Miss-post - can't find my glasses - see post below.
[Post edited 20 May 2014 7:18]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 22:49 - May 19 with 1996 viewsShotKneesHoop

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 09:26 - May 18 by derbyhoop

The 2 highlights for me had to be the Mark Lazarus incident and the Leicester game. I don't think I went to either of the Birmingham games. I probably couldn't get tickets on a school night. Lazarus had ripped his shorts, somebody had given him a new pair, and he'd removed the old ones and still had the new ones in his hand when somebody passed to him. He set off down the right wing with the shorts waving. I was right behind the goal for the Leicester game. Les Allen chipped the best keeper in the world from 25 yards and it hit the bar. Banks turned round and the rebound hit him in the chest and bounced over the line. Banks' reaction was priceless but the reaction of the crowd was electric. We went on to beat a top side 4-2.

I'd been to Wembley the previous year for 2 of the World Cup games, including the semi final against Portugal. But this time it was our club. My brother and I queued for tickets at Loftus Road. I cannot remember the price now, but 5 shillings sounds about right.

Wembley was amazing. I don't know where all the QPR fans came from but we sold out our end. Everybody was singing until the game started. By half time it looked like the dream was over. Clive Clark had taken young Tony Hazell to the cleaners and scored twice. We were getting battered. But the second half was a complete turnaround. I don't remember much about the first goal but Rodney's equaliser was special. He picked the ball up in the centre circle and set off towards goal, leaving a trail of West Brom players in his wake. He let fly from just outside the box and it crept in off the post. We finally believed that we could cause an upset. The winner sent us all delirious. Of course, it wouldn't be allowed today. Ronnie Hunt clattered their keeper (John Osborne?) and Lazarus was on hand to knock it in.
After the game I remember all the Rangers players dancing on the pitch and Mike Keen being parade round on other players shoulders.
The papers were full of it the next day. How could a Third Division club have triumphed over a good First Division club like WBA? But we did.

The WBA keeper's name, I believe was Rick Shepherd. He was their reserve keeper

Maybe that's a senior moment for me because I can't remember where my glasses are at the moment but I'm sure that was the name of the keeper.

Someone tell me I was right - and then tell me where my sodding glasses are,

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 23:01 - May 19 with 1991 viewsPinnerPaul

I was only 6 so can't answer any of the above questions Clive, but a few memories,

Sure it was my first ever live match, remember asking my Mum & Dad if I could stay up to watch MOTD after we won.

The scoreboard was "operated" ie the the numbers manually changed by men in white coats, when we scored the winner, the man at one end was convinced the goal would be disallowed and started frantically waving to his mate at the other end not to get out the "3".

My auntie bought a Glasgow Rangers rosette by mistake - you could buy one for virtually any team at cup finals back then.

My most abiding memory though is of my dear old granddad turning to an obviously upset 6 year old (me) at half time and saying "Don't worry boy, we 're going to win this"

Hope that helps!
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 00:42 - May 20 with 1953 viewsqprmick

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 23:01 - May 19 by PinnerPaul

I was only 6 so can't answer any of the above questions Clive, but a few memories,

Sure it was my first ever live match, remember asking my Mum & Dad if I could stay up to watch MOTD after we won.

The scoreboard was "operated" ie the the numbers manually changed by men in white coats, when we scored the winner, the man at one end was convinced the goal would be disallowed and started frantically waving to his mate at the other end not to get out the "3".

My auntie bought a Glasgow Rangers rosette by mistake - you could buy one for virtually any team at cup finals back then.

My most abiding memory though is of my dear old granddad turning to an obviously upset 6 year old (me) at half time and saying "Don't worry boy, we 're going to win this"

Hope that helps!

Your grandad was a true believer, we were unbeatable BY ANYONE.

Great thread by all contributors.

Qprmick

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 07:10 - May 20 with 1929 viewsShotKneesHoop

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 22:49 - May 19 by ShotKneesHoop

The WBA keeper's name, I believe was Rick Shepherd. He was their reserve keeper

Maybe that's a senior moment for me because I can't remember where my glasses are at the moment but I'm sure that was the name of the keeper.

Someone tell me I was right - and then tell me where my sodding glasses are,

I'm telling me I was right - Rick Sheppard was the WBA goalie clattered by Ron Hunt in the 1967 final. He was listed as playing in the programme. Newspaper reports state him being laid out by our Ron. The WBA number one goalie, John Osborne, must have been injured that day and did not play.

Looked Rick Sheppard up on Wikipedia. Poor sod died in 1998 - only 53 years old. There seem to be lots of footballers from the 50 and 60's died very early.

And I've found my glasses. Well done me.
[Post edited 20 May 2014 7:17]

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 10:46 - May 20 with 1877 viewscyprusmel

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 07:10 - May 20 by ShotKneesHoop

I'm telling me I was right - Rick Sheppard was the WBA goalie clattered by Ron Hunt in the 1967 final. He was listed as playing in the programme. Newspaper reports state him being laid out by our Ron. The WBA number one goalie, John Osborne, must have been injured that day and did not play.

Looked Rick Sheppard up on Wikipedia. Poor sod died in 1998 - only 53 years old. There seem to be lots of footballers from the 50 and 60's died very early.

And I've found my glasses. Well done me.
[Post edited 20 May 2014 7:17]

John Osbourne died early at 57.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024