Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
He’s not finished, he’s only 28… 18:05 - Sep 10 with 1490 viewsdixiefrog

England host Finland tonight, anyone going to the game, I’m looking at a single goal for HK on his 100’th game.

Poll: Which is the greatest crisp of all time?

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 19:02 - Sep 10 with 1410 viewssaintmark1976

Scored goals by the hat full and won next to nothing at both club and international level. Funny game football.

Poll: On which date will we be relegated ?

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 19:12 - Sep 10 with 1391 viewsInTimeAddedOn

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 19:02 - Sep 10 by saintmark1976

Scored goals by the hat full and won next to nothing at both club and international level. Funny game football.

Spent far too long at Tottenham, it has always been jam tomorrow under Daniel Levy at Spurs and probably always will be.
He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 19:42 - Sep 10 with 1348 viewsgrumpy

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 19:12 - Sep 10 by InTimeAddedOn

Spent far too long at Tottenham, it has always been jam tomorrow under Daniel Levy at Spurs and probably always will be.

Didn’t we nearly get him when Richard’s was going there?
He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 21:03 - Sep 10 with 1246 viewsdirk_doone

Kane's been tremendous tonight. Only outstanding saves by Hradecky have stopped him scoring more.

England’s record goalscorers:

1- Harry Kane – 68 goals in 100 appearances
2 - Wayne Rooney – 53 goals in 120 appearances
3- Sir Bobby Charlton – 49 goals in 106 appearances
4- Gary Lineker – 48 goals in 80 appearances
5- Jimmy Greaves – 44 goals in 57 appearances
6- Michael Owen – 40 goals in 89 appearances
7= Sir Tom Finney – 30 goals in 76 appearances
7= Nat Lofthouse – 30 goals in 33 appearances
7= Alan Shearer – 30 goals in 63 appearances
10= Frank Lampard – 29 goals in 106 appearances
[Post edited 10 Sep 21:34]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 09:45 - Sep 11 with 988 viewsGRIM

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 21:03 - Sep 10 by dirk_doone

Kane's been tremendous tonight. Only outstanding saves by Hradecky have stopped him scoring more.

England’s record goalscorers:

1- Harry Kane – 68 goals in 100 appearances
2 - Wayne Rooney – 53 goals in 120 appearances
3- Sir Bobby Charlton – 49 goals in 106 appearances
4- Gary Lineker – 48 goals in 80 appearances
5- Jimmy Greaves – 44 goals in 57 appearances
6- Michael Owen – 40 goals in 89 appearances
7= Sir Tom Finney – 30 goals in 76 appearances
7= Nat Lofthouse – 30 goals in 33 appearances
7= Alan Shearer – 30 goals in 63 appearances
10= Frank Lampard – 29 goals in 106 appearances
[Post edited 10 Sep 21:34]

List of great goalscorers for England over many years.
But I reckon Greavsie's record tops the lot, he played a lot lot less games than the others & to score 44 goals in only 57 games is incredible.
He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 10:07 - Sep 11 with 972 viewsdirk_doone

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 09:45 - Sep 11 by GRIM

But I reckon Greavsie's record tops the lot, he played a lot lot less games than the others & to score 44 goals in only 57 games is incredible.

Greaves scored nearly half of those goals in home internationals v Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland, including 2 hat-tricks v Northern Ireland, and that was in the days before substitutions. Kane would have scored a hell of a lot more goals against tired defences late in games if he hadn't been subbed when England were winning easily.

I saw both Greaves and Kane play many times. Greaves was a brilliant goal poacher, who was particularly good at rounding or chipping goalkeepers, but Kane scores more spectacular goals that others wouldn't and has a more powerful and accurate long range shot. He also gets many more assists. Overall, I'd say, Kane is the best centre forward England have ever had, although not our best ever player. That would have to be Bobby Charlton.
[Post edited 11 Sep 10:22]

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 10:35 - Sep 11 with 919 viewssaints__fan__73

Didn't Greaves once play for us in a pre-season match?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 10:38 - Sep 11 with 914 viewssaints__fan__73

He did.

Login to get fewer ads

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 10:48 - Sep 11 with 906 viewsdirk_doone

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 10:35 - Sep 11 by saints__fan__73

Didn't Greaves once play for us in a pre-season match?

It ws an unusual mid-season friendly v Vancouver Whitecaps.

Edit: I have a copy of that programme somewhere in my attic.
[Post edited 11 Sep 10:49]

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 10:54 - Sep 11 with 890 viewsIfonly

Apparently Greaves played in Reuben Agboola's boots that night as he didn't have any. anymore. He was 40 at the time.

Speaking of age, who is this player that is only 28? Is that a reference to something? Harry Kane is 31.
He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 11:06 - Sep 11 with 880 viewsdirk_doone

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 10:54 - Sep 11 by Ifonly

Apparently Greaves played in Reuben Agboola's boots that night as he didn't have any. anymore. He was 40 at the time.

Speaking of age, who is this player that is only 28? Is that a reference to something? Harry Kane is 31.

Yes, Greaves had just finished his last ever playing contract, with Woodford Town in the Athenian League. He had a paunch and looked every bit of his 40 years, but he still scored a goal. I remember I was under the west stand and people were still asking, "Could he do a job for us?" It was thought by some that McMenemy was having a look at him to see if he could.
[Post edited 11 Sep 14:30]

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 13:33 - Sep 11 with 800 viewssaints__fan__73

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 10:54 - Sep 11 by Ifonly

Call turned out to be a wind-up but still funny...

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 13:59 - Sep 11 with 775 viewsSaintNick

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 09:45 - Sep 11 by GRIM

Nat Lofthouse's record is superb, he didn't win his first cap till age 25 with the War interrupting his early career at Bolton he was 21 before he made his proper League debut.

With England not playing in the World Cup till the qualifying games in 1953 for the 1954 tournament they only had about 6-7 games a year up to that point.

He was still playing for England in 1958 aged 33 and his tally of 30 goals in 33 games has to surely be the best ratio of any striker that has played over 30 games for the country

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 14:03 - Sep 11 with 767 viewsSaintNick

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 10:38 - Sep 11 by saints__fan__73

He did.

I was at this game, a bit cold if I remember, Greavsie was a bit overweight but scored.

Interesting to see the Vancouver Whitecaps team who played in the fledgling USA League, virtually all experienced players in England whose best games where behind them.

The two that went on to greater things were Bruce Grobbelaar who would win a lot at Liverpool and then play for Saints and the number 6 John Craven who went on to host John Craven's Newsround on the BBC

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 14:21 - Sep 11 with 762 viewsLondonSaint76

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 11:06 - Sep 11 by dirk_doone

Yes, Greaves had just finished his last ever playing contract, with Woodford Town in the Athenian League. He had a paunch and looked every bit of his 40 years, but he still scored a goal. I remember I was under the west stand and people were still asking, "Could he do a job for us?" It was thought by some that McMenemy was having a look at him to see if he could.

DD, that has unlocked a few distant memories. I too was there on the bench seats under the West Stand. Now you mention it, I too can remember a few people went as far as saying sign him up never mind wondering if he would still be able to do a job for us! From memory he scored a typic
al Greavsie style goal and still looked sharp, albeit far from fully fit.
Look at some of the names on the Whitecaps team - back in their prime there would have been a few on that team sheet that would have been welcome additions to the squad at The Dell.
Of course, we did see Alan Ball in a Saints shirt.

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 15:49 - Sep 11 with 682 viewsNumber_58

I was there. I seem to recall they did an MLS style shoot out at the end and the Saints players were pretty rubbish at it. Even Mike Channon, who usually rounded the keeper with consummate ease in open play, completely flunked his.
He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 16:08 - Sep 11 with 675 viewsIfonly

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 13:33 - Sep 11 by saints__fan__73

Call turned out to be a wind-up but still funny...

the scottish accent tops off the delivery
He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 16:38 - Sep 11 with 662 viewsericofarabia

I seem to remember that Lawrie gave Greaves a game in the friendly to help build up his morale and self worth as he was fighting his demons in a battle with Alcoholism.
He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 17:04 - Sep 11 with 632 viewsgrumpy

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 10:38 - Sep 11 by saints__fan__73

He did.

There was some characters in that line up.
He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 19:35 - Sep 11 with 547 viewskingslandstand1

Wasn't Greaves also known for scoring on his debut for each team he played for, inc his one game for us!
He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 06:35 - Sep 12 with 413 viewsTripleNiemi

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 19:02 - Sep 10 by saintmark1976

Yep.

Whilst Shearer’s stats speak for themself, take away his PL medal from the Blackburn stint and he too is in the same category.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 14:44 - Sep 12 with 274 viewsInTimeAddedOn

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 19:42 - Sep 10 by grumpy

Didn’t we nearly get him when Richard’s was going there?

Griumpy, now you mention it I seem to remember something regarding Kane and Saints but it isn’t that clear a memory so I stand to be corrected if this is wrong. I think the story was we had a good look at him when he was still a kid but despite his talent some genius in our youth set up decided he was too small / slight of build to have much chance of making a pro footballer in the years to come. That may not be 100% correct but I think it went something like thar.
He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 14:54 - Sep 12 with 266 viewsIfonly

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 14:44 - Sep 12 by InTimeAddedOn

Griumpy, now you mention it I seem to remember something regarding Kane and Saints but it isn’t that clear a memory so I stand to be corrected if this is wrong. I think the story was we had a good look at him when he was still a kid but despite his talent some genius in our youth set up decided he was too small / slight of build to have much chance of making a pro footballer in the years to come. That may not be 100% correct but I think it went something like thar.

The story I was told is that we enquired about him and weren't knocked back, but ultimately we decided against him because we had Sam Gallagher coming through and they were thought to be too similar. TBF at the time there was not much difference between the prospects of Gallagher and Kane.
He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 15:56 - Sep 12 with 248 viewsInTimeAddedOn

He’s not finished, he’s only 28… on 14:54 - Sep 12 by Ifonly

The story I was told is that we enquired about him and weren't knocked back, but ultimately we decided against him because we had Sam Gallagher coming through and they were thought to be too similar. TBF at the time there was not much difference between the prospects of Gallagher and Kane.

OK, that sounds fair enough, as I said, my recall on it his was at best vague, thanks for that 🙂
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024