Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? 11:16 - Aug 12 with 1508 viewsUTS1885

It’s likely to have cost the club money due to such low attendances and having to pay the visitors a fee. Overpriced ?
[Post edited 12 Aug 15:26]
Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 11:41 - Aug 12 with 1447 viewsPatfromPoole

We haven’t made the sort of signings that would have made fans excited about going to a friendly.

They may end up being good signings, but there we are.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 11:54 - Aug 12 with 1425 viewsdirk_doone

The high prices for friendlies were one factor. The 2-0 defeat at Oxford United in our previous game didn't help. Mind you, although Oxford are Championship relegation favourites, they may surprise a few teams this season.

If it had only been Lazio on the Saturday, there would have been a few more. Instead we got a potential crowd of >15,000 spread over 2 games. Very few suckers went to both games like I did. With hindsight, those who chose to miss the Getafe game were very sensible, and those that did go mostly seemed to have gone there to buy new pink and yellow shirts.
[Post edited 12 Aug 12:03]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 12:23 - Aug 12 with 1318 viewsSaintNick

Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 11:54 - Aug 12 by dirk_doone

The high prices for friendlies were one factor. The 2-0 defeat at Oxford United in our previous game didn't help. Mind you, although Oxford are Championship relegation favourites, they may surprise a few teams this season.

If it had only been Lazio on the Saturday, there would have been a few more. Instead we got a potential crowd of >15,000 spread over 2 games. Very few suckers went to both games like I did. With hindsight, those who chose to miss the Getafe game were very sensible, and those that did go mostly seemed to have gone there to buy new pink and yellow shirts.
[Post edited 12 Aug 12:03]

I think you are right, Lazio on the Saturday would have been a far bigger crowd than on a midweek game.

How many turn up for a friendly relies on firstly several things

1. Opposition, people want to see a side that they have heard of

2. Cost, it has to be priced right, yes Saints did offer it cheap to season ticket holders, but the price for non season ticket holders and members made it prohibitive, £15 in advance for adults and £20 on the day was far too high.

3. New signings, not such a big factor for us these days as we rarely have a signing that will get the fans out in their droves

The truth is that pre season friendlies are mainly played in the school summer holidays, so firstly you get your season ticket holders with kids going on holiday just before the League season and so that means you have to target a different audience and that is those that have kids and arent on holiday.

In the past pre season friendlies had decent crowds due to loads of people who dont usually go.

So you don't price them out, you give them cheap tickets, the general price for this game was £15 advance for adults and over 65's and £10 concessions under 18.

A family of four would therefore have to fork out £50 for advance tickets and £60 on the day, add to that kids want a short or scarf and drinks etc, it is a dear day out, so we miss out on this market

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 12:50 - Aug 12 with 1265 viewssaintmark1976

Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 12:23 - Aug 12 by SaintNick

I think you are right, Lazio on the Saturday would have been a far bigger crowd than on a midweek game.

2. Cost, it has to be priced right, yes Saints did offer it cheap to season ticket holders, but the price for non season ticket holders and members made it prohibitive, £15 in advance for adults and £20 on the day was far too high.

3. New signings, not such a big factor for us these days as we rarely have a signing that will get the fans out in their droves

The truth is that pre season friendlies are mainly played in the school summer holidays, so firstly you get your season ticket holders with kids going on holiday just before the League season and so that means you have to target a different audience and that is those that have kids and arent on holiday.

In the past pre season friendlies had decent crowds due to loads of people who dont usually go.

So you don't price them out, you give them cheap tickets, the general price for this game was £15 advance for adults and over 65's and £10 concessions under 18.

A family of four would therefore have to fork out £50 for advance tickets and £60 on the day, add to that kids want a short or scarf and drinks etc, it is a dear day out, so we miss out on this market

“ so we miss out on this market”, rather like the transfer market then Nick.

Seriously though I agree with you 100%, whoever set the prices for these pre season friendly games was totally detached from reality.

Poll: Should Russell Martin be sacked after saying he won’t compromise?

Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 13:00 - Aug 12 with 1226 viewsButty101

Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 12:23 - Aug 12 by SaintNick

Had the last couple years been under Nasty Nick, I can only imagine the articles you would have written criticizing the club . You did used to love a good marketing rant back in the day.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 14:04 - Aug 12 with 1139 viewsfranniesTache

From a personal perspective i promised myself a few years back I wouldn't bother with friendlies anymore as they're almost always a complete waste of time.

The only ones i go to are ones where i get to tick a new ground off, otherwise i have better things to do with my time and money than watch a glorified training session
Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 15:51 - Aug 12 with 1032 viewsSaintNick

Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 13:00 - Aug 12 by Butty101

Had the last couple years been under Nasty Nick, I can only imagine the articles you would have written criticizing the club . You did used to love a good marketing rant back in the day.

Its always been about reasoned debate, you say i used to rant about him, but for a long period of time I had to watch my words as i had an ongoing case with the football ombudsman, which was eventually won.

Make of that what you will.

But one of us cared passionately about the club, the other hated the club, the area and the supporters with a passion

Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 06:53 - Aug 13 with 777 viewsSalisburySaint

Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 14:04 - Aug 12 by franniesTache

From a personal perspective i promised myself a few years back I wouldn't bother with friendlies anymore as they're almost always a complete waste of time.

The only ones i go to are ones where i get to tick a new ground off, otherwise i have better things to do with my time and money than watch a glorified training session

Im much the same, go to a decent away friendly, but rarely bother with home ones.

However as i was at cricket wednwsdsy stayed down for Lazio game, which turned out to be really entertaining, mainly because of Lazio's aggresive attitude from the off
[Post edited 13 Aug 14:38]
Login to get fewer ads

Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 09:27 - Aug 13 with 678 viewsButty101

Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 15:51 - Aug 12 by SaintNick

Its always been about reasoned debate, you say i used to rant about him, but for a long period of time I had to watch my words as i had an ongoing case with the football ombudsman, which was eventually won.

Make of that what you will.

But one of us cared passionately about the club, the other hated the club, the area and the supporters with a passion

Dont get me wrong as i totally respect your dedication and effort that you have put in over decades. But i dod find more often than not i clash with your views.

For the last 8/9 years ,the owners and CEOs of the club have been shambolic, year on year theres been a slow decline.

When Nasty Nic was involved you panned him many times for wasting money on players such as Forren. There were several articles on the cost of a transfer including NI and Pension payments. Another bee in your bonnet was that the club didnt earn money from Marketing. Yet in reality its flatlined over the last decade.

Theres so many things you could explore but choose not to now days.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 12:44 - Aug 13 with 605 viewssledger

Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 14:04 - Aug 12 by franniesTache

youve written to a word my thoughts on pre season friendlies
Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 16:16 - Aug 13 with 461 viewssaints__fan__73

I realised when watching us play WHU in our Champ relegation (pre) season that I had paid to watch a training session and wouldn't be doing that again.

They should be free to get in. Maybe a fiver tops.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 16:33 - Aug 13 with 449 viewsSaintNick

Why Were Friendlies So Badly Attended ? on 09:27 - Aug 13 by Butty101

Dont get me wrong as i totally respect your dedication and effort that you have put in over decades. But i dod find more often than not i clash with your views.

For the last 8/9 years ,the owners and CEOs of the club have been shambolic, year on year theres been a slow decline.

When Nasty Nic was involved you panned him many times for wasting money on players such as Forren. There were several articles on the cost of a transfer including NI and Pension payments. Another bee in your bonnet was that the club didnt earn money from Marketing. Yet in reality its flatlined over the last decade.

Theres so many things you could explore but choose not to now days.

I have no problem with anyone clashing with my views, all I will say is that you know exactly what they are as I try my best to explain them.

I disagree that the owners have been shambolic for the last 8/9 years, 7 years ago for instance we finished 8th in the League and reached the league cup final.

The change of ownership to Gao looked promising, but for reasons beyond his and our control he could not take the club forward as he wished and we had to work to a shoestring budget.

That wasn't shambolic it was just reality.

Yes there has been a slow decline but that is the reality of the Premier League, few clubs outside of the Big 7 can sustain year on year out progress and top 10 finishes.

Yes agree when Sport Republic arrived they made mistakes and 22/23 was shambolic, but they have held their hands up and made the right signings and appointments in the last year and we got promotion again.

So we are on an upward trajectory again, it will be tough but we are moving forward.

I didn't actually pan Cortese that much actually, for two years i was in dispute with him in a case with the football ombudsman, so I couldnt say much in case it jeopardised the case, but in hindsight I was proved right about him, on the field we were doing well, but off it we were shambles.

If you think out marketing is flatlines then you haven't looked at it much, we earn more from the front of shirt sponsorship per year now than we earned from in any given year under Cortese in total.

The club have worked hard to build up sponsorship income, I am not saying they get everything right but they are at least trying and it is a lot better than when Sport Republic arrived.

So that is a breif overview of my thoughts, let me know what yours are and I will try and tell you what i think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024