Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Driving in country lanes 16:31 - Jun 28 with 3044 viewsscruffyjack

People who use narrow country lanes should only do so if they can reverse. I came across one yesterday who didn’t have the first idea how to go backwards ten yards. She ended up hitting plastic bollards and nearly hit a wall. How do these people get a licence?
Driving in country lanes on 16:35 - Jun 28 with 2446 viewsSullutaCreturned

If you can't reverse you shouldn't be driving full stop.

Some people buy massive cars then they can't drive them properly. I see people in SUV's who clearly shouldn't have anything bigger than an Aygo.
Driving in country lanes on 16:49 - Jun 28 with 2436 viewsBoundy

Driving in country lanes on 16:35 - Jun 28 by SullutaCreturned

If you can't reverse you shouldn't be driving full stop.

Some people buy massive cars then they can't drive them properly. I see people in SUV's who clearly shouldn't have anything bigger than an Aygo.

My pet hate are people, mainly women driving BMW X5 type vehicles who have no perception of the width of their car ,worse are those who belive they have right of way regardless because they drive such vehicles.My motto is they cross onto my side of the white line then its they're fault should we clip each other,driving standards today are abysmal ,I was taught to drive as if I was a chaffuer and still do .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Driving in country lanes on 16:49 - Jun 28 with 2426 viewsDr_Winston

Conversely I see people in Aygos who seem to think that they're driving SUV's. People who pull over and let other cars through when there's a gap big enough for a tank.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Driving in country lanes on 18:20 - Jun 28 with 2380 viewsonehunglow

Driving in country lanes on 16:49 - Jun 28 by Boundy

My pet hate are people, mainly women driving BMW X5 type vehicles who have no perception of the width of their car ,worse are those who belive they have right of way regardless because they drive such vehicles.My motto is they cross onto my side of the white line then its they're fault should we clip each other,driving standards today are abysmal ,I was taught to drive as if I was a chaffuer and still do .

Worse when they have Felicity and Frankie in the car en route to school 500 yards away.
Big car ,premium car makes them pre eminent on the roads .
Innit

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Driving in country lanes on 18:50 - Jun 28 with 2356 viewsTogg

As an ex townie who has lived in a North Gower village for over 20 years with three of the four routes to us being narrow lanes. I have seen them come to a complete halt because some silly fools can't reverse. The worst culprits are the middle class mums taking their little darlings to school in four wheel Chelsea Tractors.
Driving in country lanes on 18:56 - Jun 28 with 2352 viewsonehunglow

Driving in country lanes on 18:50 - Jun 28 by Togg

As an ex townie who has lived in a North Gower village for over 20 years with three of the four routes to us being narrow lanes. I have seen them come to a complete halt because some silly fools can't reverse. The worst culprits are the middle class mums taking their little darlings to school in four wheel Chelsea Tractors.

Because they can afford to ( in some cases)acquire these vehicles,they immediately assume they deserve deference from drivers of more prosaic marques.

It’s like dyckhead footballers buying Ferraris with not a. Luke how to handle such power.

I ve @leays believed that to drive a high performance / value ehicle ,you should be an advnCed trained driver .

The basic test is rudimentary and driving skills are learned through a lifetime of learning on the roads .

Driving in country lanes on 22:08 - Jun 28 with 2293 viewscontroversial_jack

There are some real killjoys on this forum
Driving in country lanes on 22:42 - Jun 28 with 2290 viewsFireboy2

Driving in country lanes on 22:08 - Jun 28 by controversial_jack

There are some real killjoys on this forum

A good point has be raised, there are people on the road who passed their test in a f@cking fiesta but now drive a big f@ck off SUV but no experience of driving something so big.

The best drivers are people who drive class 1 and 2 vehicles, they have great spacial awareness and do what alot of drivers don't do, use their f@cking mirrors.

I say this because of my experience of driving fire appliances and prime movers, whereas you are just living upto your username.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2023 22:44]
Login to get fewer ads

Driving in country lanes on 23:41 - Jun 28 with 2235 viewscontroversial_jack

Driving in country lanes on 22:42 - Jun 28 by Fireboy2

A good point has be raised, there are people on the road who passed their test in a f@cking fiesta but now drive a big f@ck off SUV but no experience of driving something so big.

The best drivers are people who drive class 1 and 2 vehicles, they have great spacial awareness and do what alot of drivers don't do, use their f@cking mirrors.

I say this because of my experience of driving fire appliances and prime movers, whereas you are just living upto your username.

That's a bit of a generalization. Btw, HGVs shouldn't be down country lanes. I took the wrong road once when towing my caravan and ended up going through Reynoldston. There was a bus coming the other way, who wouldn't reverse. You cannot reverse a caravan down a narrow lane. We had a bit of a standoff, but if i remember i just found a small pull in, and he managed to get through. He should have reversed though.
Driving in country lanes on 08:06 - Jun 29 with 2202 viewsFireboy2

Driving in country lanes on 23:41 - Jun 28 by controversial_jack

That's a bit of a generalization. Btw, HGVs shouldn't be down country lanes. I took the wrong road once when towing my caravan and ended up going through Reynoldston. There was a bus coming the other way, who wouldn't reverse. You cannot reverse a caravan down a narrow lane. We had a bit of a standoff, but if i remember i just found a small pull in, and he managed to get through. He should have reversed though.

My Initial point is correct though, the people who live out in the sticks who drive SUVs probably passed their tests in small cars, in urban streets, they buy these monsters and think they can drive them like a fiesta around country lanes, more to the point because they own these monsters they think they own the road.
Driving in country lanes on 08:27 - Jun 29 with 2163 viewsBoundy

Driving in country lanes on 23:41 - Jun 28 by controversial_jack

I wonder how milk ,vegetables ,livestock, sileage etc gets transported from farms , and f you can't reverse a caravan then case in point maybe you shouldn't be towing one , the old adage if you got through the gap going forward then you'll get through it going backwards

Driving in country lanes on 08:33 - Jun 29 with 2163 viewsWhiterockin

When I first started driving in the early 70s there were many drivers who could legally drive but had never passed their test. Throw in drink driving was rife but there seemed to be less accidents. Less traffic and a different world.

A bit of driving history some may be interested in.

A voluntary driving test was introduced in England in 1935. The test cost 37½ pence and the pass rate was 63%. The first person to pass was called Mr Been. There weren’t any test centres and examiners would meet candidates at a pre-arranged spot, like a park or railway station. The compulsory driving test was introduced on 1st June 1935, for all drivers who started driving on or after 1st of April 1934.
Driving in country lanes on 09:01 - Jun 29 with 2135 viewsBoundy

Driving in country lanes on 08:33 - Jun 29 by Whiterockin

When I first started driving in the early 70s there were many drivers who could legally drive but had never passed their test. Throw in drink driving was rife but there seemed to be less accidents. Less traffic and a different world.

A voluntary driving test was introduced in England in 1935. The test cost 37½ pence and the pass rate was 63%. The first person to pass was called Mr Been. There weren’t any test centres and examiners would meet candidates at a pre-arranged spot, like a park or railway station. The compulsory driving test was introduced on 1st June 1935, for all drivers who started driving on or after 1st of April 1934.

Grand father rights was also a thing which I'm sure still applies to some of our more senior senior citizens, like you I passed my test in the clearly 70s.I still have my Dad's driving licence which was then issued by Swansea council

Driving in country lanes on 09:23 - Jun 29 with 2112 viewsonehunglow

My dad was one of those

Driving in country lanes on 09:30 - Jun 29 with 2103 viewsDr_Winston

1966 was the highest recorded peacetime fatality rate on UK roads with nearly 8,000 killed, despite the hugely lower levels of traffic. In recent years the figure tends to bounce around the mid 1,000's.

Modern cars are a lot safer and much better designed, and drink driving has gone from being socially acceptable to the total opposite. British roads are tremendously safe, which nails the lie that already outdated speed limits are being reduced for safety reasons.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2023 9:31]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Driving in country lanes on 09:51 - Jun 29 with 2070 viewscontroversial_jack

Driving in country lanes on 08:27 - Jun 29 by Boundy

I wonder how milk ,vegetables ,livestock, sileage etc gets transported from farms , and f you can't reverse a caravan then case in point maybe you shouldn't be towing one , the old adage if you got through the gap going forward then you'll get through it going backwards

Nobody i know can reverse a caravan down a single narrow lane, it's not even attempted. It's the length and maneuverability with a caravan, not so much the width. Caravans are not really designed to be reversed over distance, because it's going against the braking system. Farms i know have reasonably wide access roads, Wider than a SUV, which aren't really that wide btw
Driving in country lanes on 12:01 - Jun 29 with 2012 viewsBoundy

Driving in country lanes on 09:51 - Jun 29 by controversial_jack

Nobody i know can reverse a caravan down a single narrow lane, it's not even attempted. It's the length and maneuverability with a caravan, not so much the width. Caravans are not really designed to be reversed over distance, because it's going against the braking system. Farms i know have reasonably wide access roads, Wider than a SUV, which aren't really that wide btw

As the old saying goes, there's drivers then there's drivers, perhaps you exceeded your expectations when you chose to drive down a narrow country lane and not expecting someone coming towards you

Driving in country lanes on 12:08 - Jun 29 with 2008 viewsonehunglow

Driving in country lanes on 12:01 - Jun 29 by Boundy

As the old saying goes, there's drivers then there's drivers, perhaps you exceeded your expectations when you chose to drive down a narrow country lane and not expecting someone coming towards you

Classic case of this when driving on the B rod opposite Bala.
It’s very narrow and very rural but incredible the number of visiting SUVs who are oblivious to other road users coming the other way.
I drive down these roads expecting a car to appear around every bend and note where the passing spots are . People switch off in the countryside and it’s lethal.

Driving in country lanes on 17:26 - Jun 29 with 1940 viewsSullutaCreturned

Driving in country lanes on 09:01 - Jun 29 by Boundy

Grand father rights was also a thing which I'm sure still applies to some of our more senior senior citizens, like you I passed my test in the clearly 70s.I still have my Dad's driving licence which was then issued by Swansea council

More senior? I'm 56 and have some grandfather rights, There are a few things on my license that a newer driver doesn't have.

But yes, there are pelnty of people in large and small cars who cannot drive.

I drive a transit sized van in work and have driven larger when with Royal Mail and some people in small cars won't try to negotiate spaces i breeze through. I'm not even a brilliant driver, I'm competent is as far as I'd go.
Driving in country lanes on 21:29 - Jun 30 with 1813 viewscontroversial_jack

Driving in country lanes on 12:01 - Jun 29 by Boundy

I did state that i took the wrong turning, however many sites have narrow entrances
Driving in country lanes on 21:40 - Jun 30 with 1813 viewsmajorraglan

Driving in country lanes on 09:51 - Jun 29 by controversial_jack

I’d agree with you on this, these days most caravans are around 6m long plus another meter or so for the A frame, add on 5m for the tow car and we’re up to almost 40f feet, reversing that back up a country lane is almost impossible. I’m an ex caravaner and consider myself a decent driver ( I’ve driven vans, minibuses and a 7.5t lorry) but reversing up a lane would be a no no. One of the reasons I never took my van down the Gower was because of the narrow lanes.
Driving in country lanes on 22:17 - Jun 30 with 1799 viewsonehunglow

Driving in country lanes on 17:26 - Jun 29 by SullutaCreturned

More senior? I'm 56 and have some grandfather rights, There are a few things on my license that a newer driver doesn't have.

But yes, there are pelnty of people in large and small cars who cannot drive.

I drive a transit sized van in work and have driven larger when with Royal Mail and some people in small cars won't try to negotiate spaces i breeze through. I'm not even a brilliant driver, I'm competent is as far as I'd go.

People should book themselves on an advanced driving course . Bikes and Cars
It opens the eyes

Driving in country lanes on 15:04 - Jul 1 with 1719 viewsmax936

Driving in country lanes on 22:42 - Jun 28 by Fireboy2

"The best drivers are people who drive class 1 and 2 vehicles,"

And sensible mature motorcyclists

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Driving in country lanes on 15:09 - Jul 1 with 1718 viewsmax936

Driving in country lanes on 08:06 - Jun 29 by Fireboy2

My Initial point is correct though, the people who live out in the sticks who drive SUVs probably passed their tests in small cars, in urban streets, they buy these monsters and think they can drive them like a fiesta around country lanes, more to the point because they own these monsters they think they own the road.

This all day everyday and I'll add that very rarely will you get a Chelsea tractor give way to you, they're more likely to take advantage, particularly the bottle blonde types who get up at dawn to put their faces on and fix their sunglasses on their heads ready for the day ahead.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2023 15:10]

Driving in country lanes on 15:21 - Jul 1 with 1712 viewsmax936

Driving in country lanes on 22:17 - Jun 30 by onehunglow

People should book themselves on an advanced driving course . Bikes and Cars
It opens the eyes

I'am or rather I was an advanced motorcyclist, but i think that qualification expires after a certain amount of years, have done a few Bikesafe courses since, that's an enjoyable day out and an educational one well worth it.

I haven't put a lot of motorcycle miles in for years, its just been on the occasion's that I fancied a good old spin trying to avoid the sheep

Ain't got one now either.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024