Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gab Sutton Championship Previews 12:43 - Jul 29 with 9492 viewsOldPedro

Gab Sutton has published his predictions for the Championship for the coming season - a few suprises but a good read!

He has also done deep dives of all of the clubs including this one on QPR with Clive as his guest which is worth a watch (it was recorded a couple of weeks ago, so before Willock/Armstrong left and before Celar signed).

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 12:56 - Jul 31 with 2779 viewsAntti_Heinola

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 10:16 - Jul 31 by Northernr

I'm currently toying between Luton and Burnley 2nd, 3rd.

Leeds 1sat unfortunately at the moment.

Boro I think will be good. Cov as well.

Sheff Utd look a bit car crashy to me.

Leeds are going to have a worse side than last season, and Farke I am deeply unsure about. Can't see them being champs.
Parker is a poor manager - he might get Burnley up, but they're used to playing very different football under Kompany.
Agree about Sheff U.

Bare bones.

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 13:14 - Jul 31 with 2718 viewsaston_hoop

I'm a little more positive about Sheff U than others, but I know a very positive Sheff U fan which may be clouding my judgement. But if you can't get Gus Hamer and Callum O'Hare working well and Kieffer Moore scoring goals at this level, you might as well give up on football management. If their pending takeover happens, they'll have more to spend too.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 14:12 - Jul 31 with 2542 viewsderbyhoop

Can somebody publish the list for me. Because its on a betting site I can't see it in France.

Sunderland top seems a bit over optimistic. But Sutton does know his stuff. I think they'll need Clarke to stay and Rigg to have a breakout season to get anywhere close.
Its hard to go against Leeds. They'll probably lose Summerville but still have Bamford, Gnonto and Pirlo.
Many of the sides would like better striking options than they appear to have at this stage.
Szmodics was top of the scoring charts last season but I'll be shocked if he's still at Blackburn come end of August.
I've got us for lower mid table.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 14:27 - Jul 31 with 2478 viewsNorthernr

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 12:56 - Jul 31 by Antti_Heinola

Leeds are going to have a worse side than last season, and Farke I am deeply unsure about. Can't see them being champs.
Parker is a poor manager - he might get Burnley up, but they're used to playing very different football under Kompany.
Agree about Sheff U.

I think it's a significantly worse league than last year.

Once you've written down the teams that definitely won't and highly likely won't challenge (Oxford, Plymouth, Blackburn, Derby, Watford, Millwall, Pompey, Cardiff, Preston, Sunderland, Stoke, Swansea, Norwich, Sheff Wed, Bristol City and QPR) who and what are you left with? Only eight teams for a start, and of those...

Sheff Utd in a state.
West Brom FFPd into a corner but a great manager.
Hull will spend, but atm 63 of their 68 goals from last year ain't there any more.

That leaves...

Coventry, Luton, Burnley, Boro, Leeds.
Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 14:36 - Jul 31 with 2447 viewsHAYESBOY

Coventry smashed Everton last night 3-0. They looked very good again with ball possession and quick breaks. I would say Everton only missing 3 or 4 players.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 17:19 - Jul 31 with 2254 viewsenfieldargh

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 13:14 - Jul 31 by aston_hoop

I'm a little more positive about Sheff U than others, but I know a very positive Sheff U fan which may be clouding my judgement. But if you can't get Gus Hamer and Callum O'Hare working well and Kieffer Moore scoring goals at this level, you might as well give up on football management. If their pending takeover happens, they'll have more to spend too.

I see Ollie Norwood released, in his early thirty’s but one of the best midfielders of recent champ seasons

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 17:34 - Jul 31 with 2222 viewsgazza1

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 11:49 - Jul 31 by Northernr

I think that's where I am as well, pending some further strengthening up front because exactly like a year ago I don't think this attack takes us very far as it stands - unless Zan is indeed the man.

I trust MC, massive.....proper Manager imho.

I think we could get another striker prior to the window closing depending on departures.....then perhaps a play-off may be in the reconning.
Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 18:10 - Jul 31 with 2181 viewsAntti_Heinola

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 14:36 - Jul 31 by HAYESBOY

Coventry smashed Everton last night 3-0. They looked very good again with ball possession and quick breaks. I would say Everton only missing 3 or 4 players.

If Cov can avoid starting a season without 8 straight defeats (I exaggerate) for the first time in yonks, they'll be challenging for sure.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 18:24 - Jul 31 with 2157 viewsSnipper

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 14:27 - Jul 31 by Northernr

Once you've written down the teams that definitely won't and highly likely won't challenge (Oxford, Plymouth, Blackburn, Derby, Watford, Millwall, Pompey, Cardiff, Preston, Sunderland, Stoke, Swansea, Norwich, Sheff Wed, Bristol City and QPR) who and what are you left with? Only eight teams for a start, and of those...

Sheff Utd in a state.
Hull will spend, but atm 63 of their 68 goals from last year ain't there any more.

That leaves...

Clive, when will we see your preview for the season?

FWIW, I think Luton will win it, with Coventry in second.

I think we’ll finish between 7th & 12th.
Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 23:59 - Jul 31 with 1939 viewsdaveB

the 3 coming down will be a lot weaker than last season but they'll all have far better squads than everyone else
Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 08:05 - Aug 1 with 1767 viewsNorthernr

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 18:24 - Jul 31 by Snipper

Clive, when will we see your preview for the season?

FWIW, I think Luton will win it, with Coventry in second.

I think we’ll finish between 7th & 12th.

Previews next week

Tuesday - contenders
Wednesday - mid table
Thursday - dregs

I am currently at the "why on earth did I start this" stage of the writing process.

There will also be a podcast with QPR Analytics and I running down our 1-24s with contributions from some of our best oppo fan contributors which will be on the Patreon on Thursday, probably in two parts.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 08:50 - Aug 1 with 1670 viewsTK1

Whole prediction thing is a massive fool's errand now. There are thirty days until the window closes. Many squads throughout the division are going through huge churn right now: Leeds, WBA, Boro, Blackburn, Coventry...

Nobody will look the same in a fortnight, never mind a month. If Leeds sell Summerville this week as likely, that's 20 goals plus a dozen assists and the league's outstanding attacker gone. Big hole. (Replaced by Chair? Or Jack Clarke? Domino effect ripples through league...)

Every season that I can remember - even those before a window existed, even in the 80s! - QPR fans have said, 'Oooh, I'm worried about this squad' or 'If we can get one more forward in, we'll be ok'...and every season loads of players rock up in the first weeks of the season, filling positions we hadn't bargained for. Always! QPR can be in administration, going for promotion, fighting relegation, going nowhere, pushing top six, constrained by FFP - doesn't matter. One thing is for certain: QPR will always, always sign more players than you expect.
Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 08:56 - Aug 1 with 1653 viewsNorthernr

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 08:50 - Aug 1 by TK1

Whole prediction thing is a massive fool's errand now. There are thirty days until the window closes. Many squads throughout the division are going through huge churn right now: Leeds, WBA, Boro, Blackburn, Coventry...

Nobody will look the same in a fortnight, never mind a month. If Leeds sell Summerville this week as likely, that's 20 goals plus a dozen assists and the league's outstanding attacker gone. Big hole. (Replaced by Chair? Or Jack Clarke? Domino effect ripples through league...)

Every season that I can remember - even those before a window existed, even in the 80s! - QPR fans have said, 'Oooh, I'm worried about this squad' or 'If we can get one more forward in, we'll be ok'...and every season loads of players rock up in the first weeks of the season, filling positions we hadn't bargained for. Always! QPR can be in administration, going for promotion, fighting relegation, going nowhere, pushing top six, constrained by FFP - doesn't matter. One thing is for certain: QPR will always, always sign more players than you expect.

Tell me about it. Hull, for example, we had 15th last year, then the week after the preview they signed five players including Philogene. This year they've sold everybody, lost 63 of their 68 goals, but I'm considering sticking them 7th/8th anyway on the assumption the mad Turkish chairman will just be lashing out some cash again over the next month.
Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 09:17 - Aug 1 with 1601 viewsTK1

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 08:56 - Aug 1 by Northernr

Tell me about it. Hull, for example, we had 15th last year, then the week after the preview they signed five players including Philogene. This year they've sold everybody, lost 63 of their 68 goals, but I'm considering sticking them 7th/8th anyway on the assumption the mad Turkish chairman will just be lashing out some cash again over the next month.

There are several transfers that will rearrange the entire league: Szmodics and Summerville being the two that leap immediately to mind, Philogene was another: and now Hull have that money burning a hole. Suddenly all the squads are playing Jenga. I do think Chair may go in this window (and if the offer's good, now's the time) and that we'll be replacing both he and Willock with PL loans. But no idea, really.
Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 09:51 - Aug 1 with 1528 viewsstevec

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 08:05 - Aug 1 by Northernr

Previews next week

Tuesday - contenders
Wednesday - mid table
Thursday - dregs

I am currently at the "why on earth did I start this" stage of the writing process.

There will also be a podcast with QPR Analytics and I running down our 1-24s with contributions from some of our best oppo fan contributors which will be on the Patreon on Thursday, probably in two parts.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Will you be doing a leagues one and two review? Gab has.
Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 09:56 - Aug 1 with 1509 viewsNorthernr

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 09:51 - Aug 1 by stevec

Will you be doing a leagues one and two review? Gab has.

You can fck off please.
Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 10:01 - Aug 1 with 1475 viewsstevec

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 09:56 - Aug 1 by Northernr

You can fck off please.

To be fair, is the right answer.

😂
Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 15:23 - Aug 1 with 1220 viewsSuperhoops2808

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 10:16 - Jul 31 by Northernr

I'm currently toying between Luton and Burnley 2nd, 3rd.

Leeds 1sat unfortunately at the moment.

Boro I think will be good. Cov as well.

Sheff Utd look a bit car crashy to me.

Think Sheff Utd will suffer a double relegation myself
Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 15:33 - Aug 1 with 1167 viewsNorthernr

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 15:23 - Aug 1 by Superhoops2808

Think Sheff Utd will suffer a double relegation myself

Well I don't think they'll do very well but you'd have to go some to get a team with Moore, O'Hare and Hamer up top relegated IMO.
Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 16:10 - Aug 1 with 1079 viewsAntti_Heinola

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 09:17 - Aug 1 by TK1

There are several transfers that will rearrange the entire league: Szmodics and Summerville being the two that leap immediately to mind, Philogene was another: and now Hull have that money burning a hole. Suddenly all the squads are playing Jenga. I do think Chair may go in this window (and if the offer's good, now's the time) and that we'll be replacing both he and Willock with PL loans. But no idea, really.

If Szmodics has another season like last year I'll be astonished. Looks like a total outlier.

Bare bones.

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 16:27 - Aug 1 with 1015 viewsTK1

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 16:10 - Aug 1 by Antti_Heinola

If Szmodics has another season like last year I'll be astonished. Looks like a total outlier.

Certainly seems unlikely in the PL, but McKenna is good isn't he at getting players to transcend their level, if that that's where he goes.

And the money Blackburn get for Szmodics will be transformative - though with Gallagher it strips a lot of goals from them: so they'll be buying loadsa players, probably from other Championship teams (Dykes?). It's impossible to judge what shape most squads will look like in a month.
Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 18:08 - Aug 1 with 870 viewsNorthernr

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 16:10 - Aug 1 by Antti_Heinola

Somebody’s about to drop £10m on Mike Sheron aren’t they.
Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 18:15 - Aug 1 with 854 viewsHunterhoop

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 14:27 - Jul 31 by Northernr

Sheff Utd in a state.

That leaves...

Completely agree. It’s a weaker league this year and one, if we get the remaining signings right (big IF) and Celar is a success (15 goals), we should be in the play offs picture.

One team I think you are under estimating is Norwich. I think they’ll be top 6. They looked a very good side when they played us at LR last year. Sargent is very good for this level. His goals per minutes was exceptional last season. If they keep him fit they’ll beat a lot of sides, imo.

Bristol City continue to be my dark horses too.

Blackburn, Plymouth, Millwall, Preston, Cardiff plus Oxford and possibly Derby to be down the bottom.
Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 18:45 - Aug 1 with 816 viewsNorthernr

Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 18:15 - Aug 1 by Hunterhoop

Completely agree. It’s a weaker league this year and one, if we get the remaining signings right (big IF) and Celar is a success (15 goals), we should be in the play offs picture.

One team I think you are under estimating is Norwich. I think they’ll be top 6. They looked a very good side when they played us at LR last year. Sargent is very good for this level. His goals per minutes was exceptional last season. If they keep him fit they’ll beat a lot of sides, imo.

Bristol City continue to be my dark horses too.

Blackburn, Plymouth, Millwall, Preston, Cardiff plus Oxford and possibly Derby to be down the bottom.

Funny, I did the Bristol City bit today and subsequently upped then half a dozen places.

Norwich I’m worried whether Sargent will be there. And going from Smith and Wagner to tote bag hipster boy is a big switch. But tbh I’m looking for teams to help me bump Sheff Utd down my ladder so I’ll take them under advisement.
Gab Sutton Championship Previews on 18:46 - Aug 1 with 811 viewsNorthernr

FYI every single interview we’ve done so far says they need at least one striker. And four (Derby, Blackburn, Pompey, Oxford) have said “we’re totally fcked”.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024