Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election Thread 17:46 - May 22 with 196486 viewsloftboy

This will be the first election that I have no idea who to vote for, will never vote Tory again after the lies during covid where my dad lost his life, don’t trust starmer, would never vote for a bunch of racists like reform , anyone give me a clue?

This post has been edited by an administrator

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 11:49 - Jul 25 with 1861 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 20:50 - Jul 24 by LazyFan

It is interesting you state that the "political class is so intent on making them targets".
You may have a valid point.

As institutionalised care for the mentally disabled was phased out under Margaret Thatcher in 1983. This is what happens when you push that back to the community who are not qualified and might have mental issues themselves, and that's even if there is a family to take them on, let alone afford it in this cost of living crisis.

But why would the champions of the rich care about the non-rich suffering nutters in the street?

Obviously, Thatch was one of those looney lefties being all soft and letting nutters roam the streets as she was all woke and all that.

Your idea of armed soldiers against civilians, whether they use them or not, for whatever reason, apart from being a totally fascist idea, won't work. You see, these nutters are, err ... nutters!
So, as per usual, it is some self-pleasuring idea from the right whingers to clean up society that was put in this position by right whingers who ignored reality as it was all too complicated and difficult to understand (it isn't really) and now its arm the army against civilians.

BTW:
The left warned the right many times that this policy would come back to haunt society years later. Now you wish to pretend we never did, and it's society (note Thatch said there is no such thing) that's gone rotten. It must be those looney lefties in charge in the last 14 years, and then before that, the New Labour Blairties (same as capitalist-loving Tories and for sure not lefties).

The first election I was able to vote in was 2015 between Cameron and Milliband. At the time I lived in David Blunkett's constituency, so whichever way I voted (Probably still lib dem back then) - it was a waste of time. Most of my life I've lived in large Labour majority areas. The only time I think I've voted for the winning option was in the Brexit referendum.

With all due respect re: Thatcher, I hadn't been born yet.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

General Election Thread on 19:21 - Jul 25 with 1679 viewsLazyFan

General Election Thread on 11:49 - Jul 25 by SheffieldHoop

The first election I was able to vote in was 2015 between Cameron and Milliband. At the time I lived in David Blunkett's constituency, so whichever way I voted (Probably still lib dem back then) - it was a waste of time. Most of my life I've lived in large Labour majority areas. The only time I think I've voted for the winning option was in the Brexit referendum.

With all due respect re: Thatcher, I hadn't been born yet.

Well Thatcher is the reason people with mental health problems don't get the care they need and then the rest of us have to pick up the pieces. Yet the right love her, rave about her.

When they say on TV Britain is divided, it was her that divided it.
If we lose the UK, it's down to the Tories for sure.

zzzzzzzzzz

General Election Thread on 20:20 - Jul 25 with 1599 viewsSonofpugwash

Three weeks in and another election promise broken.No £300 off energy bills.
What a surprise.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

General Election Thread on 11:38 - Jul 26 with 1355 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 19:21 - Jul 25 by LazyFan

Well Thatcher is the reason people with mental health problems don't get the care they need and then the rest of us have to pick up the pieces. Yet the right love her, rave about her.

When they say on TV Britain is divided, it was her that divided it.
If we lose the UK, it's down to the Tories for sure.

Generic mental health problems are untreatable anyway. No point ranting about that. If you want to make an argument about "mental health" please try to be specific. In what context are you speaking about mental health? In a "We all need to go to therapy and the government should fund it" way (Therapy is already available free at the point of use in any language you require on the NHS) or a "We need to reopen the asylums and lock up the Autistic & Aspergers types" way? (Slightly more controversial)

Again, no point ranting to me about division created, or decisions taken long before I was born. If you feel the UK has been divided since the 80s - Maybe give me a break, given that's the country your generation nurtured (Or didn't nurture as the case may be here) and I was born into. No point ranting at me about it.

General Election Thread on 12:29 - Jul 26 with 1303 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

General Election Thread on 11:38 - Jul 26 by SheffieldHoop

Generic mental health problems are untreatable anyway. No point ranting about that. If you want to make an argument about "mental health" please try to be specific. In what context are you speaking about mental health? In a "We all need to go to therapy and the government should fund it" way (Therapy is already available free at the point of use in any language you require on the NHS) or a "We need to reopen the asylums and lock up the Autistic & Aspergers types" way? (Slightly more controversial)

Again, no point ranting to me about division created, or decisions taken long before I was born. If you feel the UK has been divided since the 80s - Maybe give me a break, given that's the country your generation nurtured (Or didn't nurture as the case may be here) and I was born into. No point ranting at me about it.

‘Generic mental health problems are untreatable anyway’

Cannot stress enough how untrue this is.
General Election Thread on 12:34 - Jul 26 with 1280 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 12:29 - Jul 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

‘Generic mental health problems are untreatable anyway’

Cannot stress enough how untrue this is.

How do you propose we treat generic "Mental health problems"

Let me try a guess. Communism? Eradicate inequality? Universal basic income? Generally, these are the solutions you propose to everything, and you're wrong.

General Election Thread on 12:48 - Jul 26 with 1248 viewsJuzzie

General Election Thread on 20:20 - Jul 25 by Sonofpugwash

What a surprise.

They all do it though. BJ did more u-turns than a black cab.

I've said many times that regardless of which party is in government, there has to be some kind of consequence to this. I get it that if they try their best but don't quite make it but if they clearly haven't even bothered, something needs doing about it.

Again, I point to that interview in 2019 by Andrew Neil with Liz Truss when he asked her how many new starter homes had they actually built based on their promise in 2014 to build 200,000 and not only did she not know the answer, but Andrew Neal reminded her it was an easy number to remember, "it's zero."

This kind of thing, from all sides, needs to be accountable for.
General Election Thread on 13:23 - Jul 26 with 1207 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

General Election Thread on 12:34 - Jul 26 by SheffieldHoop

How do you propose we treat generic "Mental health problems"

Let me try a guess. Communism? Eradicate inequality? Universal basic income? Generally, these are the solutions you propose to everything, and you're wrong.

When you say poor mental health can’t be treated, your judgement on who and what is wrong is severely undermined.
Login to get fewer ads

General Election Thread on 13:31 - Jul 26 with 1164 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 13:23 - Jul 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

When you say poor mental health can’t be treated, your judgement on who and what is wrong is severely undermined.

I didn't say that though, stop putting words in my mouth.

"Poor mental health" is IMO not a proper diagnosis of a mental health condition. If you get a proper diagnosis, treatment is clearly possible, but generic arguments about generic mental health issues, ranging from Bi-Polar disorder through to getting really frustrated by kids on the bus or QPR's short corner routines.....It's just obfuscation

General Election Thread on 13:41 - Jul 26 with 1128 viewsSonofpugwash

There seems to be lots of "mental health" issues going on in our streets at the moment.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

General Election Thread on 14:00 - Jul 26 with 1060 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 13:41 - Jul 26 by Sonofpugwash

There seems to be lots of "mental health" issues going on in our streets at the moment.

I find it odd how we'll accept Mental health as an excuse in some cases, and not others. And often which cases get treated as mental health, and which get treated as a public outrage, seems to be determined by what the authorities are comfortable with us being outraged by.

This week has seen a Uniformed Soldier stabbed on his way home from work and a guy kicked in the head by a policeman after allegedly breaking a police woman's nose. Which of these stories generated mass outrage and protests? Not the so called "mental health related" one, even though it is clearly and obviously a far more egregious event.

This is what real psyops look like. And for reasons far, far beyond my comprehension, we just accept it.
[Post edited 26 Jul 14:01]

General Election Thread on 14:19 - Jul 26 with 1020 viewsKonk

General Election Thread on 14:00 - Jul 26 by SheffieldHoop

I find it odd how we'll accept Mental health as an excuse in some cases, and not others. And often which cases get treated as mental health, and which get treated as a public outrage, seems to be determined by what the authorities are comfortable with us being outraged by.

This week has seen a Uniformed Soldier stabbed on his way home from work and a guy kicked in the head by a policeman after allegedly breaking a police woman's nose. Which of these stories generated mass outrage and protests? Not the so called "mental health related" one, even though it is clearly and obviously a far more egregious event.

This is what real psyops look like. And for reasons far, far beyond my comprehension, we just accept it.
[Post edited 26 Jul 14:01]

Copper boots someone in the head on video (which many people will have watched without context, but even with context, public servants can’t be kicking people in the face and stamping on heads) – the obvious place to demonstrate if you disagree with coppers booting people in the head, is outside a police station/City hall.

Random bloke stabs a member of the armed forces for unknown/unconfirmed reasons and is arrested soon after. I’m not sure what a demonstration in those circumstances would be looking to achieve or where would be an obvious place to hold it.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

General Election Thread on 14:22 - Jul 26 with 1001 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 14:19 - Jul 26 by Konk

Copper boots someone in the head on video (which many people will have watched without context, but even with context, public servants can’t be kicking people in the face and stamping on heads) – the obvious place to demonstrate if you disagree with coppers booting people in the head, is outside a police station/City hall.

Random bloke stabs a member of the armed forces for unknown/unconfirmed reasons and is arrested soon after. I’m not sure what a demonstration in those circumstances would be looking to achieve or where would be an obvious place to hold it.

Well they managed to hold one in Nottingham after that other "Random bloke" stabbed those 2 students and the Caretaker fella. But the 24-hour media blackout didn't work that time as it was already too public. So maybe that explains it. Definitely no psyops though eh Konk.

General Election Thread on 14:30 - Jul 26 with 997 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What’s your view on the (white Anglo Saxon) soldier who shot his wife and neighbours through the face with a crossbow the week before?

Mental health issue or terrorist?
General Election Thread on 14:32 - Jul 26 with 980 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 14:30 - Jul 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

What’s your view on the (white Anglo Saxon) soldier who shot his wife and neighbours through the face with a crossbow the week before?

Mental health issue or terrorist?

Death penalty.

General Election Thread on 14:38 - Jul 26 with 981 viewsLazyFan

General Election Thread on 11:38 - Jul 26 by SheffieldHoop

Even if what you say is true, it isn't, but let's just say it is untreatable.
Then we shall need all those many mental health hospitals that Thatcher closed down and was told not to even more than before. Congrats, you have made the case for the return of these.

We need these hospitals back so these people can at least be looked after and protected (if, as you say, they are untreatable), and the country can be protected as well (although, remember, for Thatcherites, there is no such thing as a British society even though we need protecting).

Otherwise, as we see, their mental state gets worse, and then evil things happen. We shall defo need more NHS Mental health hospitals as you claim it is all untreatable. We cannot rely on the private sector as they have failed for decades since they took over what was left of Thatcher's mess and did nothing with it, if they did anything at all.

Now, it is the police, social services, standard NHS services and the community (apparently, according to Thatcherites, this is different from society) who pick up the pieces, who are all of them are totally overworked and have to suffer the consequences. What's more, this shite show costs not only people their lives but also way more money than putting the original services back in place. This is why we had them in the first place, as the Victorian asylums failed to work, which also cost more btw.

So, much for the party of law and order and good fiscal policies. As we can see, it's made the country way more dangerous and cost way more. We need to stop this nonsense of a "short sharp shock" that we had from Thatcher in the 80s that we see today, which totally failed as it did back then. It was dropped in 82 as being a total failure; yes, that's a failure of law and order under Thatchers govt, proven and admitted to by the Tories. It cost us lots of money as well, taxpayers' money. You cannot trust right whingers with the economy. See Truss.

It's not about being soft on crime and being too nice, it's about what works. What we do know is that the right-wing policies on Law and Order NEVER work ... unless you want to dogwhistle some votes up from people who think they know better but have never actually researched the data with a proper scientific approach and worked in the system end-to-end (not just in one extreme area) for 10+ years or more.

Yet somehow, it's the woke lot who made all this happen. Lets see who these woke lot from the Tories are, Braverman, Patel, Mogg, Kemi, yep it must be all those wokists who went all soft in when they were in power. Too busy doing DEI claims about how many female PM's they have had rather than cleaning up the mess Thatcher created that we still live with today. Woke the lot of em!

zzzzzzzzzz

General Election Thread on 14:38 - Jul 26 with 980 viewsR_from_afar

General Election Thread on 20:20 - Jul 25 by Sonofpugwash

What a surprise.

Where are you getting that figure from? It's not in their manifesto. Did a Labour MP say it during a TV debate?

I might be wrong but I can't recall anyone on the Labour promising a £300 rebate on our energy bills.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

General Election Thread on 14:40 - Jul 26 with 975 viewsKonk

General Election Thread on 14:22 - Jul 26 by SheffieldHoop

Well they managed to hold one in Nottingham after that other "Random bloke" stabbed those 2 students and the Caretaker fella. But the 24-hour media blackout didn't work that time as it was already too public. So maybe that explains it. Definitely no psyops though eh Konk.

Was it a vigil in remembrance of 3 murdered people or a protest? Genuine question.

Thankfully, the soldier who was attacked should survive, but if he had lost his life, then I reckon you would have seen the same public reaction that we saw when Lee Rigby was murdered.

Apologies for the Guardian link, but this does seem to suggest the bloke who murdered the 3 people in Nottingham had very serious, long term mental health issues: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/24/nottingham-attacks-missed-opport

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

General Election Thread on 14:42 - Jul 26 with 960 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 14:38 - Jul 26 by LazyFan

Even if what you say is true, it isn't, but let's just say it is untreatable.
Then we shall need all those many mental health hospitals that Thatcher closed down and was told not to even more than before. Congrats, you have made the case for the return of these.

We need these hospitals back so these people can at least be looked after and protected (if, as you say, they are untreatable), and the country can be protected as well (although, remember, for Thatcherites, there is no such thing as a British society even though we need protecting).

Otherwise, as we see, their mental state gets worse, and then evil things happen. We shall defo need more NHS Mental health hospitals as you claim it is all untreatable. We cannot rely on the private sector as they have failed for decades since they took over what was left of Thatcher's mess and did nothing with it, if they did anything at all.

Now, it is the police, social services, standard NHS services and the community (apparently, according to Thatcherites, this is different from society) who pick up the pieces, who are all of them are totally overworked and have to suffer the consequences. What's more, this shite show costs not only people their lives but also way more money than putting the original services back in place. This is why we had them in the first place, as the Victorian asylums failed to work, which also cost more btw.

So, much for the party of law and order and good fiscal policies. As we can see, it's made the country way more dangerous and cost way more. We need to stop this nonsense of a "short sharp shock" that we had from Thatcher in the 80s that we see today, which totally failed as it did back then. It was dropped in 82 as being a total failure; yes, that's a failure of law and order under Thatchers govt, proven and admitted to by the Tories. It cost us lots of money as well, taxpayers' money. You cannot trust right whingers with the economy. See Truss.

It's not about being soft on crime and being too nice, it's about what works. What we do know is that the right-wing policies on Law and Order NEVER work ... unless you want to dogwhistle some votes up from people who think they know better but have never actually researched the data with a proper scientific approach and worked in the system end-to-end (not just in one extreme area) for 10+ years or more.

Yet somehow, it's the woke lot who made all this happen. Lets see who these woke lot from the Tories are, Braverman, Patel, Mogg, Kemi, yep it must be all those wokists who went all soft in when they were in power. Too busy doing DEI claims about how many female PM's they have had rather than cleaning up the mess Thatcher created that we still live with today. Woke the lot of em!

General Election Thread on 14:44 - Jul 26 with 945 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 14:40 - Jul 26 by Konk

Was it a vigil in remembrance of 3 murdered people or a protest? Genuine question.

Thankfully, the soldier who was attacked should survive, but if he had lost his life, then I reckon you would have seen the same public reaction that we saw when Lee Rigby was murdered.

Apologies for the Guardian link, but this does seem to suggest the bloke who murdered the 3 people in Nottingham had very serious, long term mental health issues: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/24/nottingham-attacks-missed-opport

Regardless of any very serious, long term mental health......Death Penalty. And prison for whoever let him out into the community.

You can't create justice with injustice.

General Election Thread on 14:59 - Jul 26 with 922 viewsslmrstid

General Election Thread on 14:38 - Jul 26 by R_from_afar

Where are you getting that figure from? It's not in their manifesto. Did a Labour MP say it during a TV debate?

I might be wrong but I can't recall anyone on the Labour promising a £300 rebate on our energy bills.

They didn't but people take pleasure in getting angry about things that have never happened.
General Election Thread on 15:51 - Jul 26 with 815 viewsDiscodroids

General Election Thread on 14:42 - Jul 26 by SheffieldHoop

'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher ,'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher ,'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher' Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher ,'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher ,'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher ,'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher ,'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher' Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher ,'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher ,'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher.....

".... You are the... Duke of New York... You're A-Number One!".

General Election Thread on 16:09 - Jul 26 with 800 viewsBostonR

I’m 62 and from the moment I became politically aware the Tories have made my life miserable. I was raised in West London-North Kensington and the place was a fecking slum. No investment and all overseen by a Tory Council in the 70’s.
The SPG terrorised the locals and it was no surprise when the carnival erupted in 1975.
Along comes Thatcher and her henchmen and they proceeded to crush almost every working class area in the country. We all know what Thatcher had sown for decades to come. Then comes along the nasty party who made it abundantly clear they despised many of the professions from the NHS to Education.
Then came austerity! And finally the clown show started by Boris.
It’s no surprise that the Tories hate public servants with a passion. Over a period of 40yrs their stewardship of our country has been criminal.
General Election Thread on 16:15 - Jul 26 with 786 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 15:51 - Jul 26 by Discodroids

'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher ,'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher ,'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher' Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher ,'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher ,'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher ,'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher ,'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher' Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher ,'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher ,'Fatcher. 'Fatcher, 'Fatcher.....

Like stopping for a pint in the Skelmanthorpe Colliery WMC

General Election Thread on 09:13 - Jul 28 with 1907 viewsJamesB1979

I would never condone the actions of the male police officer in Manchester Airport, you’ve got to show restraint…..even though that can be difficult. Why would anyone want to join our police force? Women police officers punched in the face and there is calls of racism against the police. Lack of support for our police from powers that be, including the sitting MP, is shocking.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024