Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix 00:17 - Dec 12 with 7518 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Danny maddix....wow....carrying on from the others I've chosen, from my era as a Rangers fan, this guy always was a favourite. Quick, great leap(the ridiculous amount of headers he won), the smile on the face, the passion and commitment, the desire to defend. A class act for me, I remember him still being here in darker days, wearing that neon yellow away kit with black stripe, Ericsson sponsor dark days. And in those days still being totally up for it, looking head and shoulders above many on the pitch, especially his fellow defenders. Not to mention born on the 11th of October sharing my very own birthday(you know when you were a kid and you looked on the stickers or in the programme to see who in the squad was born on or at least near your birthday and hoped it wasn't someone Shiiite).

I remember just watching games of him winning so many headers,beating bigger men with more 'known' names.

Share them memories on the humble and legendary Danny Maddix.....
Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 16:17 - Dec 12 with 1674 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 10:34 - Dec 12 by Antti_Heinola

Shocking replies at the top there.

Danny's in my top 10 all time favourite players. An excellent defender, with great pace, strength and could pass a ball too. Went on to captain the club, and in some dark times was one of the few bright spots.

My two biggest memories of Danny are:

1. I think it was his first game back from that awful foot injury that almost ended his career. Great game v Sheff Wed that we won 3-2, with goals from Les, Trev and Gallen's first goal for the first team. But what gets forgotten is Danny coming on as a sub. Crowd were at fever pitch anyway as it was a tumultuous game, and he started a move at the School End, and then just hammered forward, arrowing down the middle of the pitch. A cross came in, I guess from Impey, and he met it, right in front of the Loft, willimg him to score and I think it hit the outside of the post, keeper beaten. I think there might have been a full scale pitch invasion if that went in.

2. Other end of the scale. Palace game, needing to win to stay up. Maddix was by a million miles player of the season that year, but he was nursing an injury. I got there really early as usual back then and watched him gingerly jogging round the pitch with the physio. He was the one player we needed for that game. Somehow, he played, was excellent as usual, and we won 6-0 in a game that definitely wasn't fixed.

Also, Dale Winton once told me he quite fancied Danny.

Fantastic defender.

He makes my first 11 for sure! Genuinely so glad others were shocked at the first replies, I'd begun to loose hope in everything I ever believed in when I read them!
Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 23:18 - Dec 12 with 1577 viewsDevonwhitewhitewhite

Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 07:00 - Dec 12 by GaryBannister86

You're seriously comparing Danny Maddix to Osman Kakay?

My mind is blown. Mind blown.

Can just imagine Kakay going to Leeds and marking one of the Premier League's most dangerous strikers completely out of the game. Oh yeah.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2023 7:01]

Sorry, I think you're missing the point here. I wasn't comparing them in terms of quality (but let's face it it's impossible to compare players from the 80s and 90s to now, todays players , especially defenders, play to a different set of rules and are so much fitter than then). What I was saying was they shared characteristics: they played a lot of games for us without being really good enough for the division. In Danny's case he was a bang average (at best) top flight defender who always had a mistake in him that often cost us. Down a division then he was effective. In Osmans case he is a bang average (to be kind) second tier defender who always has a mistake in him that often costs us. Personally I'm not sure what his real level is, hopefully we won't be relegated and find out. Both of them do/did some things well in their uncomfortable elevated leagues. Danny was very good at marking people, I agree. If thats how you want to play 10 v 10. Osman is a good crosser of the ball. Whether Osman is a better or worse player than Danny was is a matter of opinion (and actually remains to be seen, I wouldn't be surprised if he played over 200 games for us in the end so lets see he may surprise us all). Don't get me wrong, I like both of them but they are both limited squad players at their higher levels.
Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 23:37 - Dec 12 with 1545 viewsDevonwhitewhitewhite

Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 16:17 - Dec 12 by Midlands_Ranger

He makes my first 11 for sure! Genuinely so glad others were shocked at the first replies, I'd begun to loose hope in everything I ever believed in when I read them!

To be honest this post really makes my point. He missed the goal in the top flight game and was great in the second tier one!!
Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 23:52 - Dec 12 with 1521 viewsSydneyRs

Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 09:34 - Dec 12 by Rs_Holy

[Post edited 12 Dec 2023 9:36]

I know Liverpool have long benefitted from favourable refereeing, but allowing Bruce Grobelaar to ref the game is a bit much even for them.
Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 04:07 - Dec 13 with 1452 viewsdaveinmelbourne

Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 23:18 - Dec 12 by Devonwhitewhitewhite

Sorry, I think you're missing the point here. I wasn't comparing them in terms of quality (but let's face it it's impossible to compare players from the 80s and 90s to now, todays players , especially defenders, play to a different set of rules and are so much fitter than then). What I was saying was they shared characteristics: they played a lot of games for us without being really good enough for the division. In Danny's case he was a bang average (at best) top flight defender who always had a mistake in him that often cost us. Down a division then he was effective. In Osmans case he is a bang average (to be kind) second tier defender who always has a mistake in him that often costs us. Personally I'm not sure what his real level is, hopefully we won't be relegated and find out. Both of them do/did some things well in their uncomfortable elevated leagues. Danny was very good at marking people, I agree. If thats how you want to play 10 v 10. Osman is a good crosser of the ball. Whether Osman is a better or worse player than Danny was is a matter of opinion (and actually remains to be seen, I wouldn't be surprised if he played over 200 games for us in the end so lets see he may surprise us all). Don't get me wrong, I like both of them but they are both limited squad players at their higher levels.

Nah, that’s still a load of old bollox. If he had a mistake in him he’d rectify the situation with his pace. Always thought of him as comfortable in the top flight. Opinions are like arséholes etc etc but you’ve got this one horribly wrong mate.
Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 04:37 - Dec 13 with 1446 viewsmacclesfieldman

I thought Danny struggled at first, to read the game but he improved really well and imo was a very good player for us. One of my favourite defenders from the many good ones we have benefited from. McLintock, Webb, McDonald, Wicks, Fenwick, Parker, Needham, Hazell, Roeder to mention a few.

Wild horses couldn't drag me away...

Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 07:21 - Dec 13 with 1411 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

So amazed that some didn't rate him. Playing in Div 1 & PL for a top half team, not bad really! No comparison to Kakay.
Also, not bad for a free transfer.

One of my favourite players ever.
Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 07:39 - Dec 13 with 1393 viewsSK_hoops

I won a table football competition organised by QPR and the prize was a table football that was presented on the pitch by Danny Maddix. Think it was home to Wolves? One of my favourite childhood memories.
Login to get fewer ads

Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 09:05 - Dec 13 with 1325 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 07:39 - Dec 13 by SK_hoops

I won a table football competition organised by QPR and the prize was a table football that was presented on the pitch by Danny Maddix. Think it was home to Wolves? One of my favourite childhood memories.

Beautiful! That's a great childhood memory!

I just got to say(again)Danny was/is a legend, he was really really good for us, easily one of my hero's and always one of the top performers on the pitch for work rate, always a 7 or above. As bizarre as it's been to hear some not rate him and even make terrible comparisons to a player that Danny is streets and streets ahead(no offence to player at all, I actually like him)it has been heartwarming to see so many jump to his defense,like he jumped to ours many times. Back when most defenders were not known for pace, he brought something different.
Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 09:16 - Dec 13 with 1295 viewsSuperhoop83

It's all been said by others already, but Danny Maddix was a superb defender (in my opinion) and a true QPR legend, playing for us between 1987 and 2001. He also did the best recovery tackle I've ever seen at Loftus Road and scored a good few goals for us too.

Suffering since 1978.

Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 09:21 - Dec 13 with 1289 viewsdmm

Was Danny Maddix a great QPR player? Yes, of course. But when it comes to silly pics, he doesn't come close to Danny Paddox.
Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 13:50 - Dec 13 with 1184 viewshantssi

Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 23:18 - Dec 12 by Devonwhitewhitewhite

Danny was certainly good enough for the top division when he found his feet at that level, he was no squad player but a first choice defender!
Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 16:17 - Dec 13 with 1143 viewsStanisgod

Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 07:00 - Dec 12 by GaryBannister86

You're seriously comparing Danny Maddix to Osman Kakay?

My mind is blown. Mind blown.

Can just imagine Kakay going to Leeds and marking one of the Premier League's most dangerous strikers completely out of the game. Oh yeah.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2023 7:01]

Best man marker I have ever seen. Another lost art to modern day footie.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 14:09 - Dec 14 with 1027 viewsDevonwhitewhitewhite

Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 04:07 - Dec 13 by daveinmelbourne

Nah, that’s still a load of old bollox. If he had a mistake in him he’d rectify the situation with his pace. Always thought of him as comfortable in the top flight. Opinions are like arséholes etc etc but you’ve got this one horribly wrong mate.

Ah now I remember why I dont come on here that often! Surely the point of this site is to express different opinions without insulting each other? Anyway all I was really getting at was that whether someone was a decent honest pro or not, or who played hundreds of games for us or not doesn't put him on the pantheon for me. And Danny was a decent player for us but not a top class one. Just an opinion but the stats bear it out. He was playing most consistently in terms of starts and performances when he was alongside Macca and Parker. Around his era we had Glenn Roeder, Bob Hazell, Steve Wicks, Terry Fenwick, Alan MacDonald and later on Darren Peacock who were all, in my opinion, streets ahead of him. In later years Richard Dunne, Gorrkkksss, Clint Hill all superior so struggling to get him into a top ten as some would. Once Macca and Peacock had gone he was duking it out with Steve Yates and Karl Ready for a start. Was he better than Ready? Of course. Yates? Tillson? I'd say not. But its just an opinion, albeit an informed one. Look at the stats, particularly post relegation.
Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 14:28 - Dec 14 with 987 viewsTheChef

Due to other personnel and injuries I don't recall him ever being much of a regular. But whenever called upon he always put in a decent shift, rarely let down his team mates.

And yet he was with us for many years, when he could have moved to another club and been a mainstay of the defence for them.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 16:02 - Dec 14 with 937 viewsCamberleyR

Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 14:28 - Dec 14 by TheChef

Due to other personnel and injuries I don't recall him ever being much of a regular. But whenever called upon he always put in a decent shift, rarely let down his team mates.

And yet he was with us for many years, when he could have moved to another club and been a mainstay of the defence for them.

I checked on the stats section on qprnet.com and the first few seasons he was here he was pretty much a regular. From 88/89 - 90/91 seasons he averaged 37 starts.

He was first choice at the start of the season when Gerry became manager the first time but got injured in November only playing a couple more times towards the end of that season. Thereafter he became more of a bit part player as Gerry favoured the Macca/Peacock partnership.

He missed the complete 93/94 season and only really started playing more regularly again when Ray took over from Gerry.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 16:21 - Dec 14 with 911 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 16:02 - Dec 14 by CamberleyR

I checked on the stats section on qprnet.com and the first few seasons he was here he was pretty much a regular. From 88/89 - 90/91 seasons he averaged 37 starts.

He was first choice at the start of the season when Gerry became manager the first time but got injured in November only playing a couple more times towards the end of that season. Thereafter he became more of a bit part player as Gerry favoured the Macca/Peacock partnership.

He missed the complete 93/94 season and only really started playing more regularly again when Ray took over from Gerry.

Thanks Camberley.

Wasn't sure when the injuries started. Earlier than I'd remembered. Remember meeting him outside Upton Park after his second serious ankle injury and he telling us it was another long-term one.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Let's reminisce heroes....series...no:3 Danny Maddix on 17:29 - Dec 14 with 868 viewsDiscodroids

Loved Danny. The 5th dan shaolin monk of man marking. He studied the tibetan book of the dead while in the lotus position as he passed down his high teachings to Claudio Gentile.

Top Player. Love him.

'From Little Acorns, Harold..'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024