Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dobo on the podcast 10:11 - May 5 with 11772 viewsconnell10

I was really impressed with him. He was honest , intelligent and has set my mind at rest a fair bit! Also he totally gets Rangers!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Dobo on the podcast on 15:35 - May 7 with 1724 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dobo on the podcast on 12:01 - May 7 by dmm

While I agree with you that Ferdinand did well when he first came, as I think most Rs fans do, it would be hard to retain the same opinion of him in recent years. As the director of football things like the club's culture, players' recruitment, players' retention and release, and players' contracts are all his particular responsibility.

No doubt he has to work within challenging restrictions but that's the same for most Championship clubs. Ferdinand therefore cannot be blameless for where we've ended up this season.

It would be no surprise to me if he left in the summer, the director of football position scrapped, and Ainsworth and Dobson were given full control of the football side of things.

"It would be no surprise to me if he left in the summer, the director of football position scrapped, and Ainsworth and Dobson were given full control of the football side of things."

Wouldn't surprise me either. Would really worry me, though. This club has proven time and time again that it needs someone to watch the manager's spending.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dobo on the podcast on 16:07 - May 7 with 1637 viewsWatfordR

Dobo on the podcast on 15:35 - May 7 by BrianMcCarthy

"It would be no surprise to me if he left in the summer, the director of football position scrapped, and Ainsworth and Dobson were given full control of the football side of things."

Wouldn't surprise me either. Would really worry me, though. This club has proven time and time again that it needs someone to watch the manager's spending.

Whether it's with Ainsworth or anyone else, we need a DoF doing a proper DoF job. Having a manager taking control of footballing strategy is a plan for long term chaos and failure.
Dobo on the podcast on 16:13 - May 7 with 1624 viewsVancouverHoop

True. Though, presumably, Hoos would still have control of the cheque book.
Dobo on the podcast on 16:34 - May 7 with 1594 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dobo on the podcast on 16:13 - May 7 by VancouverHoop

True. Though, presumably, Hoos would still have control of the cheque book.

He would, but his expertise is not in scouting, assessing potential, assessing value, establishing contacts on the playing side. That's the DoF's job, and I think we'd need someone in that role even if Ferdinand does go.

Hoos's job is surely to say yes we can afford it, or no, sorry, we can't? I'm guessing, of course.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dobo on the podcast on 18:17 - May 7 with 1495 viewsVancouverHoop

Dobo on the podcast on 16:34 - May 7 by BrianMcCarthy

He would, but his expertise is not in scouting, assessing potential, assessing value, establishing contacts on the playing side. That's the DoF's job, and I think we'd need someone in that role even if Ferdinand does go.

Hoos's job is surely to say yes we can afford it, or no, sorry, we can't? I'm guessing, of course.

Quite. But I think the club hasn't got that relationship figured out, which has been a big part of the problem. Ferdinand has never done it before – relatively few people in the UK have I think – so it's a matter of learning on the fly. Hoos, OTOH, has been CEO of football clubs in England before. As an American he is likely familiar with professional sports management structure there which, essentially, QPR are trying to replicate. The General Manager (ie: Director of Football) position is between Head Coach (ie: team manager) and President (ie: CEO, or close to it). The GM has final say on all trades and draft choices (ie: youth team players.) I think Les's inexperience in that role has been crucial. He's a great guy. But it's possible he's still too close to the dressing room, emotionally and mentally. I'm not saying he should be canned but he might find it helpful to spend time in the front office of an NFL, NHL or NBA team to get a sense of how a DoF/GM operates
Dobo on the podcast on 20:52 - May 7 with 1321 viewsSakura

Hoos can set the budget as has been said.

But I don't see any evidence that we need a DOF or that it represents value for money.

Warnock proved you don't need a DOF

And is a DOF value for money with our tiny budget?

Whats Les earning? Let's assume £350k a year

What's an average season ticket price at Rangers? Roughly £350. That's a thousand season tickets to pay for Les each season.

Look down your row of regulars in the ground next time every 1 in 12 is purely to cover his wages. Is that really worth it?!

I'd say Hoos role controls the budget (replace Hoos though he is a pr ck) and Belks role does the scouting (replace him though he's been useless)

But use Les salary for the squad. Add his salary to Fields and get him on a new contract with that money
[Post edited 7 May 2023 20:53]
Dobo on the podcast on 21:20 - May 7 with 1270 viewsVancouverHoop

The trouble with not having a DoF/GM is lack of continuity. The turnover of coaches increases every year in football, not only at QPR. And, as we've seen, every change means players in, and players out. Someone in the front office with hands-on football knowledge has to manage that and the CEO isn't that guy. Someone like Les, ie: with his background, probably is.
Dobo on the podcast on 21:42 - May 7 with 1217 viewsSakura

Dobo on the podcast on 21:20 - May 7 by VancouverHoop

The trouble with not having a DoF/GM is lack of continuity. The turnover of coaches increases every year in football, not only at QPR. And, as we've seen, every change means players in, and players out. Someone in the front office with hands-on football knowledge has to manage that and the CEO isn't that guy. Someone like Les, ie: with his background, probably is.

Two key points that I think mean your point is massively overstated. Again though with the emphasis on our tiny budget meaning it's a luxury we can't afford for the limited benefit it provides us

- 1) You just appoint managers in the same style to get that continuity even if they chop and change. Warburton to Beale to Critchley had a certain amount of continuity that meant the general style of players they like compliment each other

But with a DOF in charge we've gone to a very different style this time to Ainsworth. It would be idiotic if Les or any replacement DOF went and signed players this summer that suited Warburton/ Beale/ Critchley to get that continuity you are referring to a DOF could impose. Instead we need this summer to change to players that suit GA

- Secondly Ainsworth spent 11 years at Wycombe. We can be confident he isn't looking to do what the Fat Man did this season. We can just back him and save ourselves £350k+ every year he is here

If there's ever a manager we don't need to worry about ditching us it's him. So I say back him and invest that significant chunk of DOF into our playing squad. And if it doesn’t work out if you want continuity you appoint a manager of a similar style

Then you control all that by giving them a requirement for average age of squad. Get Les’ algorithm out so they can’t just sign 35 year olds solely
[Post edited 7 May 2023 21:45]
Login to get fewer ads

Dobo on the podcast on 22:05 - May 7 with 1191 viewsVancouverHoop

Dobo on the podcast on 21:42 - May 7 by Sakura

Two key points that I think mean your point is massively overstated. Again though with the emphasis on our tiny budget meaning it's a luxury we can't afford for the limited benefit it provides us

- 1) You just appoint managers in the same style to get that continuity even if they chop and change. Warburton to Beale to Critchley had a certain amount of continuity that meant the general style of players they like compliment each other

But with a DOF in charge we've gone to a very different style this time to Ainsworth. It would be idiotic if Les or any replacement DOF went and signed players this summer that suited Warburton/ Beale/ Critchley to get that continuity you are referring to a DOF could impose. Instead we need this summer to change to players that suit GA

- Secondly Ainsworth spent 11 years at Wycombe. We can be confident he isn't looking to do what the Fat Man did this season. We can just back him and save ourselves £350k+ every year he is here

If there's ever a manager we don't need to worry about ditching us it's him. So I say back him and invest that significant chunk of DOF into our playing squad. And if it doesn’t work out if you want continuity you appoint a manager of a similar style

Then you control all that by giving them a requirement for average age of squad. Get Les’ algorithm out so they can’t just sign 35 year olds solely
[Post edited 7 May 2023 21:45]

But who is "You?" Lee Hoos? TF, Rueben?

That's the problem. Someone has to take that responsibility. It was, after all Les who gave us the previous continuity of Warburton, Beale and Critchley.

I wouldn't necessarily say that's a 'gimme' at all. He'll spend what he's allowed to spend to make his team better, any and every coach will do the same. The CEO could say no, because he's looking at the potential red numbers on his spread sheet, he can't see the benefits on the pitch because it's not his job.
Dobo on the podcast on 22:33 - May 7 with 1179 viewsQPR_Jim

Dobo on the podcast on 20:52 - May 7 by Sakura

Hoos can set the budget as has been said.

But I don't see any evidence that we need a DOF or that it represents value for money.

Warnock proved you don't need a DOF

And is a DOF value for money with our tiny budget?

Whats Les earning? Let's assume £350k a year

What's an average season ticket price at Rangers? Roughly £350. That's a thousand season tickets to pay for Les each season.

Look down your row of regulars in the ground next time every 1 in 12 is purely to cover his wages. Is that really worth it?!

I'd say Hoos role controls the budget (replace Hoos though he is a pr ck) and Belks role does the scouting (replace him though he's been useless)

But use Les salary for the squad. Add his salary to Fields and get him on a new contract with that money
[Post edited 7 May 2023 20:53]

It's a bit short sighted to point at Warnock without acknowledging the squad he inherited (massive and put together by various managers which wouldn't be manageable in the FFP era) and what came after him (Hughes/Redknapp).

It's also fine to say that GA won't just leave like MB but what if results don't go our way, it will be another change of manager and straight into another change of players in the next window, which we can't afford.

Also £350k a year or whatever, the long term signings we made which didn't go straight into the first team squad such as Dieng and Eze (which a manager who may get sack if he loses 5-10 games wouldn't make) easily cover this.

Personally I think it may be the right time to change DoF but I'd sooner keep Les than not have one at all.
Dobo on the podcast on 23:45 - May 7 with 1134 viewsAntti_Heinola

The idea that one man can run an entire club in the way it was done in the old days is absolutely absurd. Ainsworth has more than enough on his plate coaching and managing the first team, and by extension having an eye on B Team and below. That's enough. You can't possibly do more. Warnock was a brilliant manager, but he certainly wasn't looking further ahead than the next Saturday, nor should he have been doing so.

Bare bones.

Dobo on the podcast on 10:17 - May 8 with 944 viewsSakura

Vancouver:

1) Amit sign it off as he does now. Belks team can identify a manager list of the same style. Simple

2) Read that a few times and don't understand what you are saying

Jim:
Warnock inherited a squad battling relegation. But he's a good manager and put us on a good track swiftly without the help of a DOF. My point is a good manager is all you need and I would say is all we can afford

Antti:
No need for the hyperbole. “Running the whole club”

The only job I am saying we would adding is that Ainsworth gets more say over who we sign. Everything else he will be involved in anyway
[Post edited 8 May 2023 10:24]
Dobo on the podcast on 10:53 - May 8 with 877 viewsQPR_Jim

Dobo on the podcast on 10:17 - May 8 by Sakura

Vancouver:

1) Amit sign it off as he does now. Belks team can identify a manager list of the same style. Simple

2) Read that a few times and don't understand what you are saying

Jim:
Warnock inherited a squad battling relegation. But he's a good manager and put us on a good track swiftly without the help of a DOF. My point is a good manager is all you need and I would say is all we can afford

Antti:
No need for the hyperbole. “Running the whole club”

The only job I am saying we would adding is that Ainsworth gets more say over who we sign. Everything else he will be involved in anyway
[Post edited 8 May 2023 10:24]

My point about the squad Warnock inherent is that it was bloated, more loans than you can fit in a match day squad etc. That was a direct result of multiple managers brining in their own players which was fine pre-ffp (well not fine, look where we were before Warnock joined but financially fine so long as someone was willing to pay) but would be disastrous now.

"My point is a good manager is all you need" - well we've had posters claiming Warnock is better than Bill Shankly, so all we need to do is find a manager better than Bill Shankly each time and we're fine, which to be fair would work. Practically I don't fancy the clubs chances of doing that each time we need a new manager.

Finally for completeness don't expect a manager who's 10 poor games away from the sack to any of his limited budget to pick up players that need developing like Eze, Chair, Dieng, BOS, Dunne, manning and probably a few others I can't think of that arrived to go into the B team.
Dobo on the podcast on 13:19 - May 8 with 794 viewsSakura

Dobo on the podcast on 10:53 - May 8 by QPR_Jim

My point about the squad Warnock inherent is that it was bloated, more loans than you can fit in a match day squad etc. That was a direct result of multiple managers brining in their own players which was fine pre-ffp (well not fine, look where we were before Warnock joined but financially fine so long as someone was willing to pay) but would be disastrous now.

"My point is a good manager is all you need" - well we've had posters claiming Warnock is better than Bill Shankly, so all we need to do is find a manager better than Bill Shankly each time and we're fine, which to be fair would work. Practically I don't fancy the clubs chances of doing that each time we need a new manager.

Finally for completeness don't expect a manager who's 10 poor games away from the sack to any of his limited budget to pick up players that need developing like Eze, Chair, Dieng, BOS, Dunne, manning and probably a few others I can't think of that arrived to go into the B team.

Warburton didn’t care about the future. Was open on the podcast about not being involved in what was happening at the training ground.

But Ainsworth clearly is here with the long term in mind. Listen to Dobson on the podcast. His comments on developing leadership skills. That other managers don’t do it as they won’t get the benefit. These guys are thinking long term

My point is, with the average manager I think you have a stronger point. With Ainsworth we have little choice but to back him.

If we keep a DOF and then as you say do panic and sack Ainsworth if we have a wobble. Well then you’re paying off Ainsworth and Dobson for the next two seasons. You’re also paying a DOF in that time. Then appointing a new manager and new coaches.

What I am saying is. No DOF. Back Ainsworth. Combined salary probably £500k

If we keep a DOF with the intention of being able to sack Ainsworth if it goes wrong. You need to then appoint a manager and new coaches and pay them. Annual salary there. Probably £1m

We are already still paying Critchley and co probably another £500k a year on top. For those 3

I’m saying burn the boats. Back Ainsworth we can’t afford to sack another manager and his coaches

Now off to the pub before a packed Loftus Road. Love it!!
Dobo on the podcast on 13:54 - May 8 with 723 viewskensalriser

Warnock did a fine job but let's not pretend he didn't have a division busting budget. QPR spent 29.7m on player wages that season, an amount behind only that of Middlesbrough at 36m. Norwich, who took the other auto spot, spent less than half QPR's budget.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024