Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life 22:30 - Feb 1 with 9959 viewsMrSheen

Every few years I’ve looked up to see the moon up in the blue daytime sky and thought, “How the fck did that happen?” before forgetting all about it until the next time I noticed. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I realised this had happened every month of my life and, indeed, every month before my life. I looked up whether the moon would be out if I went for a night walk in Richmond Park, and found out here
https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/uk/london?month=2&year=2023
that it wasn’t making an appearance at all that day, that the time of its rising and setting cycles through the full 24 hours every 29 days (ie the time I takes to go from full to new and back to full), and that the time of its appearance also goes through a full cycle of increase and decrease in that period.

No doubt anyone brought up in the country or on the coast works this out by their seventh birthday and it wouldn’t be news to the people who made Stonehenge, but I was staggered. Anyone else had a “small, far away” learning moment recently?
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 12:27 - Feb 3 with 1609 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I only just found today that the whiskey chaser is not the whickey itself but the beer that you drink to chase the whiskey.

Makes sense.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 13:40 - Feb 3 with 1476 viewsstowmarketrange

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 12:06 - Feb 3 by MrSheen

1) Pouring drain cleaner down the shower is much less effective (not to mention infinitely more expensive) than twisting the drain cover off and fishing out the wife's hair with your fingers. It's obviously not mine.
2) Not even baby diarrhoea on the skin matches the tingling horror of holding slimy drain-hair between your fingers.

Our bath and shower was blocked last weekend and the water wasn’t going anywhere.We put a couple of dishwasher tablets in the water and it all disappeared overnight.Just to make sure I dissolved another one in a jug of boiling water and poured that down the plug holes.
It went down the plug straight away.We’d already tried Mr Muscle and other drain cleaners with no success.
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 14:04 - Feb 3 with 1430 viewshubble

Plumbers laugh at how people try to clear blocked drains. All you need is a King plunger (AKA a master plunger and forget those stupid wooden handled black rubber things). A couple of goes on that will clear pretty much any blocked drain and they cost about a tenner. And that's something I learned embarrasingly late in life... :
[Post edited 3 Feb 2023 14:06]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 14:06 - Feb 3 with 1426 viewsrobith

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 19:02 - Feb 2 by stevec

If you hold your index finger in front of you and shut one eye your strongest eye is the one where the finger hasn’t moved but it will also determine whether you are right or left handed.

Didn’t know the latter until recently when having a go at archery.

That's eye dominance rather than handed. They do mostly correlate but Phil Taylor was right handed, left eye dominant which is why he always brought the dart across his face
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 15:29 - Feb 3 with 1342 viewsMick_S

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 14:04 - Feb 3 by hubble

Plumbers laugh at how people try to clear blocked drains. All you need is a King plunger (AKA a master plunger and forget those stupid wooden handled black rubber things). A couple of goes on that will clear pretty much any blocked drain and they cost about a tenner. And that's something I learned embarrasingly late in life... :
[Post edited 3 Feb 2023 14:06]

Ha, ha; I’m not looking that one up on the internet, no way. Thought you got us then, didnt’cha?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 17:14 - Feb 3 with 1217 viewsCateLeBonR

A slightly embarrassing one for me, was how long it took for me to learn that you sit on the toilet seat when having a dump and not directly on the bowl. I must have been well into double figures age before I worked that one out. I even remember trying the seat a few times and thinking that it makes sense but just carried on with the old way just the same.
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 17:46 - Feb 3 with 1136 viewsstevec

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 14:06 - Feb 3 by robith

That's eye dominance rather than handed. They do mostly correlate but Phil Taylor was right handed, left eye dominant which is why he always brought the dart across his face

I was pondering on Match82 comments, specifically with Ronnie O’Sullivan in mind and his ability to play snooker left or right handed. I think the correlation between hand and eye does seem sound though, maybe with the very occasional exception.

Interesting to hear about Phil Taylor. Wonder if some people, maybe the ambidextrous, don’t have a big disparity in eye dominance.
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 18:05 - Feb 3 with 1110 viewsRanger_Things

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 12:48 - Feb 2 by toboboly

Friend of mine is very clever but geographically a complete fcuking imbecile. She was very surprised a couple of years ago to find out that Alaska isn't attached to mainland USA.

I try and bring it up whenever possible.

Similar. A mate of mine wouldn’t believe Alaska was right next to Russia and that America had bought it from them. He even brought up a picture of a world map on his phone to show me it was on the other side of the world!
Login to get fewer ads

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 18:40 - Feb 3 with 1040 viewsBucksRanger

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 18:05 - Feb 3 by Ranger_Things

Similar. A mate of mine wouldn’t believe Alaska was right next to Russia and that America had bought it from them. He even brought up a picture of a world map on his phone to show me it was on the other side of the world!

Two Islands in Two Countries, Two Miles and 21 Hours Apart

[Post edited 3 Feb 2023 18:42]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024