Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life 22:30 - Feb 1 with 9958 viewsMrSheen

Every few years I’ve looked up to see the moon up in the blue daytime sky and thought, “How the fck did that happen?” before forgetting all about it until the next time I noticed. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I realised this had happened every month of my life and, indeed, every month before my life. I looked up whether the moon would be out if I went for a night walk in Richmond Park, and found out here
https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/uk/london?month=2&year=2023
that it wasn’t making an appearance at all that day, that the time of its rising and setting cycles through the full 24 hours every 29 days (ie the time I takes to go from full to new and back to full), and that the time of its appearance also goes through a full cycle of increase and decrease in that period.

No doubt anyone brought up in the country or on the coast works this out by their seventh birthday and it wouldn’t be news to the people who made Stonehenge, but I was staggered. Anyone else had a “small, far away” learning moment recently?
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 12:25 - Feb 2 with 2499 viewsstowmarketrange

That retirement beats the crap out of working every time.If only I’d done it 44 years ago.
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 12:34 - Feb 2 with 2451 viewsBluce_Ree

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 12:25 - Feb 2 by stowmarketrange

That retirement beats the crap out of working every time.If only I’d done it 44 years ago.

I'm banking on that, Stow!

When David Bowie died at 69, I was like 'fk all that!'

I'm meant to retire at 67. That's if I get through the widowmaker (45-55 the age where men's hearts just decide to stop working). If Bowie can die at 69, anyone can. That's some bullshit right there. All the money in the world and his doctors were probably fans of his. Rough.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 12:41 - Feb 2 with 2446 viewsWokingR

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 11:59 - Feb 2 by BrianMcCarthy

Ok....
I just got that too!

Oh FFS !
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 12:48 - Feb 2 with 2435 viewstoboboly

Friend of mine is very clever but geographically a complete fcuking imbecile. She was very surprised a couple of years ago to find out that Alaska isn't attached to mainland USA.

I try and bring it up whenever possible.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 13:07 - Feb 2 with 2395 viewsMrSheen

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 08:50 - Feb 2 by nix

I just learned that metal sink plugs can be turned on their side to act as a key to unscrew the metal bit in the sink. Mind blown.

Also got through the baby stages with both my children without realising that the envelope shaped babygros were designed so you could take them off from the bottom rather than over the head so you don't get anything nasty in their hair/face.

Love Bosh's list too. Definitely true that you can't reason with an unreasonable person, you just have to do your own thing and ignore them as best you can. Also that saying no to something you don't want to do doesn't mean you're a bad person. Oh and it's okay to have the last biscuit, you don't always have to offer it to someone else.

How to pump up car tyres and that the pressure guides are in the side of your car door and your dashboard has an indicator that tells you which side the fuel gauge is.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2023 8:55]

Number 2 - now you tell me!
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 13:12 - Feb 2 with 2372 viewsMrSheen

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 09:55 - Feb 2 by Bluce_Ree

I've learned some basic life skills only in the last ten years or less.

I only really started cooking properly in my 40s and it turns out I'm good at it. Problem is my mum was just like me, she fking hated people being in the kitchen when she was cooking. And so she never really taught me anything.

Until two years ago I was either putting processed foods in the microwave or oven but barely ever messing with the hobs. Now I'm Bluce the Flavour Elevator. I've got a favourite spatula and a cupboard full of spices that I ACTUALLY USE. I used to be punk.

Also, how to use a drill. Again, not hard but if you don't know, you don't know. Now I'm always doing little jobs for my wife's family. I fixed a step the other day. Who fixes a step?! This fking guy!

The big one was about money/saving/investing. About 5 years ago I went up to a director at work and said 'Chris, you're loaded, what do you do with your money?' and surprisingly he took me into a meeting room and explained to me about Stocks and Shares ISAs and SIPPs. Life changing shit really. I went from being 43 with no plan, to now working towards retiring early enough to enjoy it.

Monosodium Glutamate. Gets a bad press, but start using it and you won't stop, Got it online for £3.30 a kilo, which is ludicrous. Felt like Tony Montana when it arrived, rubbing it on my gums.

Secret gravy ingredients, MSG and sweet sherry. You can thank me later.
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 13:18 - Feb 2 with 2356 viewsdaveB

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 11:15 - Feb 2 by Lancashirehoop

When the BBC announced they were terminating Ceefax it only then dawned on me that it means 'see facts'

Well I didn't know that
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 13:21 - Feb 2 with 2348 viewsSuperhoop83

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 10:37 - Feb 2 by Paddyhoops

Always thought Bob holiness played sax on Baker Street.
Found out it was an urban myth whatever that is!

What???

Next you'll be telling us that Mark Almond didn't have two pints of Harry pumped out of his stomach after fainting during a gig.

Or was that just a story in my school?

Suffering since 1978.

Login to get fewer ads

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 13:31 - Feb 2 with 2319 viewsKerryE

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 12:48 - Feb 2 by toboboly

Friend of mine is very clever but geographically a complete fcuking imbecile. She was very surprised a couple of years ago to find out that Alaska isn't attached to mainland USA.

I try and bring it up whenever possible.

It isn't. It's attached to Canada
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 14:07 - Feb 2 with 2250 viewsrobith

Due to my inexperience in the kitchen, when I was 23 and experimenting in the kitchen, I inadvertently claimed to my flat mates that I'd invented risotto
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 14:09 - Feb 2 with 2244 viewsrobith

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 13:12 - Feb 2 by MrSheen

Monosodium Glutamate. Gets a bad press, but start using it and you won't stop, Got it online for £3.30 a kilo, which is ludicrous. Felt like Tony Montana when it arrived, rubbing it on my gums.

Secret gravy ingredients, MSG and sweet sherry. You can thank me later.

I've got a sack of MSG in my kitchen, is the absolute don of the spice tray
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 14:25 - Feb 2 with 2211 viewsMaggsinho

When I was a child my dad told me that earwigs were so called as they lived in peoples ear and they held on with their pincers

It wasn't until I was at university and I mentioned this to general amusement and astonishment that I found out it wasn't true
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 14:27 - Feb 2 with 2204 viewsBrianMcCarthy

That anchovies are fish.

For a few years when living in Clare my Friday evening treat was veggie pizza with anchovies.
Eventually a woman taking the phone order asked:
"Why veggie pizza with anchovies"
"Because it tastes nice..."
"Are you a veggie?"
"Ya"
"You're not, you know."

I just thought they were salty foreign stuff.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 17:33 - Feb 2 with 2038 viewsthemodfather

that football is not that important. it is now set up by tv companies and for their favoured teams to get bigger and make crap like transfer day BIG NEWS with breathless reporters going crazy over players most have never heard of, for stupid fees, while 80 plus other clubs can't afford floodlighting ! or whatever. there are rules but don't apply to teams with legal teams to find loopholes.
i won't go into nations buying world cup hosting and awarding the cup to their pets.
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 18:12 - Feb 2 with 1976 viewsqpr_1968

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 10:47 - Feb 2 by Sonofpugwash

The lyrics to Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze" wasn't "scuse me while I kiss this guy".

only found out years later the characters meanings in your name.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 19:02 - Feb 2 with 1878 viewsstevec

If you hold your index finger in front of you and shut one eye your strongest eye is the one where the finger hasn’t moved but it will also determine whether you are right or left handed.

Didn’t know the latter until recently when having a go at archery.
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 19:04 - Feb 2 with 1886 viewsaston_hoop

I was an adult when I learnt that the Harlem Globetrotters didn't win the NBA every year

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 19:56 - Feb 2 with 1812 viewsMatch82

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 19:02 - Feb 2 by stevec

If you hold your index finger in front of you and shut one eye your strongest eye is the one where the finger hasn’t moved but it will also determine whether you are right or left handed.

Didn’t know the latter until recently when having a go at archery.

Wait, so there's a link between which eye is stronger and whether you are right or left handed?

That's fascinating. Is that cause and effect, like your natural hand develops more quickly because your eyesight is better on that side?
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 20:26 - Feb 2 with 1785 viewsSuperhoop83

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 19:56 - Feb 2 by Match82

Wait, so there's a link between which eye is stronger and whether you are right or left handed?

That's fascinating. Is that cause and effect, like your natural hand develops more quickly because your eyesight is better on that side?

As a young child I thought that Jimmy Savile's first name was Jim'll.

My wife tells that story to everyone she meets, often on several occasions, and she tells them that I wrote to Jim'll asking him to fix it for me to meet the QPR team. She's told the story so many times now that she's convinced it's true.

Suffering since 1978.

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 23:32 - Feb 2 with 1634 viewswombat

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 20:26 - Feb 2 by Superhoop83

As a young child I thought that Jimmy Savile's first name was Jim'll.

My wife tells that story to everyone she meets, often on several occasions, and she tells them that I wrote to Jim'll asking him to fix it for me to meet the QPR team. She's told the story so many times now that she's convinced it's true.

I only found out a few years back that I didn’t milk a cow blindfolded on Jimll fixit .

Always did wonder though

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 09:04 - Feb 3 with 1370 viewsEsox_Lucius

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 19:56 - Feb 2 by Match82

I was an archery coach for a number of years and the dominant eye test was a quick and easy way to get students started. Occasionally you would find a right handed person was left eye dominant and vice versa, there were a couple of cases where there was no clear difference and we would just use their hand dominance as a guide.
As I got better at archery, I learned that a solid, repeatable technique was of far more importance and I was able to shoot both right and left handed with similar results by being able to repeat my shot routine.

The grass is always greener.

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 09:49 - Feb 3 with 1281 viewsTheChef

The world is a lie.

Twiglets are Marmite flavour.

QPR are actually not very good.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 09:55 - Feb 3 with 1270 viewsHAYESBOY

Milli Vanilli didn't sing on their recordings...........................

Fcking outraged.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 10:42 - Feb 3 with 1206 viewsngbqpr

As 1972 morphed into 1973, I made two decisions that have defined most of the subsequent 50 years of my life.

1. I love music* and will listen to / consume it at every conceivable opportunity, across eras and genres, til I spin off This Mortal Coil**

(*Sweet sweet music...Long as it's swinging...All the joy that's it's bringing)

(** see what I did there?)

2. I will support QPR FC, through thin and thinner, and will remain unflinchingly loyal whatever the slings and arrows of footballing fortune may throw my new found love's way.

While I've had my suspicions for many a year now, it really only is in the last few months that I have concluded that Music, as Danny Tenaglia & Celeda wisely opined, is The Answer. And Queen's Park Rangers most definitely isn't *

(* he says sagely...on a QPR messageboard)

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 12:06 - Feb 3 with 1158 viewsMrSheen

1) Pouring drain cleaner down the shower is much less effective (not to mention infinitely more expensive) than twisting the drain cover off and fishing out the wife's hair with your fingers. It's obviously not mine.
2) Not even baby diarrhoea on the skin matches the tingling horror of holding slimy drain-hair between your fingers.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024