Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
HMRC Scams 09:03 - Jan 27 with 16413 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Had a text today saying I was due a rebate and click this link.....the text was from a mobile .

I blocked and reported and checked the HMRC website apparently a lot of vermin are trying this with covid related ones.

You may want to tell more vunerable people 'no clicky strange text linky'

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

HMRC Scams on 12:07 - Jul 3 with 3575 viewsPinnerPaul

Quick tip - if anyone has ever tried to create a Gov.uk log in they will know that it is a LOT, LOT, LOT, LOT harder and more involved than just clicking on a link.

Did it for me and Mrs Pinner and took about 15 minutes for each of us and some of the questions are very tricky.

You also need your passport amongst many other details.

Sooooo if it ain't very very very complicated it ain't the HMRC!
HMRC Scams on 12:26 - Jul 3 with 3546 viewsterryb

HMRC Scams on 00:40 - Jul 3 by E17hoop

I got a real letter from HMRC this week with a proper refund - it was a very pleasant surprise.

I received the same on Wednesday!

A refund of £81. Not a great amount, but far better than owing them. And it's already in my bank account.
HMRC Scams on 12:57 - Jul 3 with 3529 viewsloftboy

I have numerous calls saying my NI number has been corrupted and I’m going to prison if I don’t respond .

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

HMRC Scams on 13:17 - Jul 3 with 3504 viewsPinnerPaul

HMRC Scams on 12:26 - Jul 3 by terryb

A refund of £81. Not a great amount, but far better than owing them. And it's already in my bank account.

I was due a small refund as well. Filled out a paper form, but then got a genuine email (that tells you to log out of email (NO link provided to HMRC either) and log back in to HMRC separately btw) confirming I was due a refund.

Did the set up account thing (see above) and got refund straight into my account in a few days - very impressed.
HMRC Scams on 14:31 - Jul 3 with 3478 viewsE17hoop

HMRC Scams on 12:26 - Jul 3 by terryb

Done mine online too - it's about 50 times yours!

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

HMRC Scams on 14:34 - Jul 3 with 3465 viewsE17hoop

HMRC Scams on 12:07 - Jul 3 by PinnerPaul

Quick tip - if anyone has ever tried to create a Gov.uk log in they will know that it is a LOT, LOT, LOT, LOT harder and more involved than just clicking on a link.

Did it for me and Mrs Pinner and took about 15 minutes for each of us and some of the questions are very tricky.

You also need your passport amongst many other details.

Sooooo if it ain't very very very complicated it ain't the HMRC!

Deliberately difficult to make it as difficult as possible for someone to grab your refund. I worked at HMRC a few years ago and the team building their technology are some of the best in the Civil Service.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

HMRC Scams on 15:46 - Jul 4 with 3344 viewsPinnerPaul

HMRC Scams on 14:34 - Jul 3 by E17hoop

Deliberately difficult to make it as difficult as possible for someone to grab your refund. I worked at HMRC a few years ago and the team building their technology are some of the best in the Civil Service.

I wasn't complaining, just pointing out they will NEVER ask you to 'just click on this link'
HMRC Scams on 13:16 - Jul 12 with 3200 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Now this is a proper scam! I've never heard of it until today. Check put the first footage after 8 million dollars

[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 13:19]

Login to get fewer ads

HMRC Scams on 14:09 - Jul 12 with 3142 viewsslmrstid

HMRC Scams on 13:16 - Jul 12 by Metallica_Hoop

Now this is a proper scam! I've never heard of it until today. Check put the first footage after 8 million dollars

[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 13:19]

That sort of thing looks like something someone started with a grand ambition that they simply couldn't deliver and got in way too deep over their heads for, and shoved their head in the sand when it was obvious it was all going to pot long before it finally happened.

There's some good podcast series out there about scams or Silicon Valley awfulness - The Fake Heiress on BBC Sounds, The Dropout on Spotify, and The Missing CryptoQueen, also on BBC Sounds.
HMRC Scams on 15:07 - Jul 12 with 3103 viewsMetallica_Hoop

HMRC Scams on 14:09 - Jul 12 by slmrstid

That sort of thing looks like something someone started with a grand ambition that they simply couldn't deliver and got in way too deep over their heads for, and shoved their head in the sand when it was obvious it was all going to pot long before it finally happened.

There's some good podcast series out there about scams or Silicon Valley awfulness - The Fake Heiress on BBC Sounds, The Dropout on Spotify, and The Missing CryptoQueen, also on BBC Sounds.

After reading the comments section I've been reading about a few. I'll try listening to the pods thanks.

Star Citizen has been released but after 350Million It doesn't seem that it was worth it we'll see.

4 people paid £10000 to be a 'King or Queen' in the game lol just wtf.

In World of Warships I bought a Giulio Cesare (not our former keeper) for £5 on sale a few years ago.
At tier V I'm a king with it.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 15:08]

HMRC Scams on 16:50 - Jul 12 with 3061 viewsStanFan

HMRC Scams on 12:57 - Jul 3 by loftboy

I have numerous calls saying my NI number has been corrupted and I’m going to prison if I don’t respond .

I've had this twice. It's a recorded message from a mobile number so not very believable. I've just blocked the number which may help for a while - until they start with a different number.
HMRC Scams on 08:21 - Jan 7 with 2718 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I call this a scam.

Parcel of land pfft, I conquered a Zirax PLANET on Empyrion.

HMRC Scams on 09:04 - Jan 7 with 2662 viewsWokingR

Well you'll all be pleased to hear that me and Lordes are still going strong.
Every time I send her another £50,000 she sends me back an erotic picture which just proves how much she loves me.
Apparently the house she is building for us will be finished in the next year and will probably only cost me another £150,000 - Bargain
She sends me pictures of the house too and her brother is the builder so no risk of being conned as it's family !
HMRC Scams on 09:34 - Jan 7 with 2603 viewsslmrstid

HMRC Scams on 08:21 - Jan 7 by Metallica_Hoop

I call this a scam.

Parcel of land pfft, I conquered a Zirax PLANET on Empyrion.

Dear Lord.

Speechless.
HMRC Scams on 11:34 - Jan 7 with 2474 viewsderbyhoop

I worked for a manager who got a cold call but they wouldn't accept that he wasn't interested. So he left the phone on his desk and walked away to do something productive:

I do like the idea of keeping these people talking, if you can be bothered. While you are holding them up, they can't bother others.

The final one is
I'm so glad you called
I'm selling a 2015 Peugeot 208, with 75K miles, 10 months MOT and 6 months tax.
Usual response will be "what?"
Then tell them, you try selling me something I don't want so i'll do the same to you

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one's lifetime." (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop and now on Bluesky

HMRC Scams on 11:52 - Jan 7 with 2444 viewsstowmarketrange

HMRC Scams on 09:34 - Jan 7 by slmrstid

Dear Lord.

Speechless.

Do people actually fall for this garbage?
HMRC Scams on 12:08 - Jan 7 with 2404 viewsJuzzie

HMRC Scams on 11:52 - Jan 7 by stowmarketrange

Do people actually fall for this garbage?

They do, which is why they continue to happen.
A lot of people are probably not able to process the fact they are scams (elderly, maybe some other conditions etc) and are usually the ones caught out. A vile practice.

Anyone of sound mind who does is just a greedy fkker and deserves what they get.
HMRC Scams on 12:30 - Jan 7 with 2360 viewsPinnerPaul

We all mock the 'obvious' ones on here but Met Police told me recently via email that people lost nearly £700,000 in ONE month in ONE Borough - Hillingdon - through on line/phone scams recently & those figures are pretty much the same every month - multiply that across the country and its a staggering amount of money and why they will never go away.
HMRC Scams on 12:59 - Jan 7 with 2322 viewsQPR_Jim

HMRC have asked my partner to pay 1/3 of next year's potential tax bill (obviously don't know how much she has to pay yet as it will depend on figures that aren't complete) on account, sounds like a scam to me.
HMRC Scams on 13:24 - Jan 7 with 2284 viewsPinnerPaul

HMRC Scams on 12:59 - Jan 7 by QPR_Jim

HMRC have asked my partner to pay 1/3 of next year's potential tax bill (obviously don't know how much she has to pay yet as it will depend on figures that aren't complete) on account, sounds like a scam to me.

Yep!

Mentioned before but best way is to set up an on line HMRC account, any genuine bills/rebates will be there and no where else!
HMRC Scams on 12:35 - Jan 8 with 2041 viewscharmr

Always get them about my extended car warranty. They ask, what is the make of your vehicle, A Rolls Royce, I reply, we don’t do those, click.

I do mess with these callers sometimes. Once had someone keep telling me god was with me, with me telling them they were doing the devils work. It went back and forth quite a while.

Also when I here a real voice I say you’re going to hang up on me and you called me, that seems rude. Click.
HMRC Scams on 11:55 - Jan 19 with 1831 viewsMetallica_Hoop

This is getting better and better.

Cryptoland made the guardian!

[Post edited 20 Jan 2022 8:45]

HMRC Scams on 13:28 - Jan 19 with 1753 viewswelwynranger

HMRC Scams on 09:24 - Jan 27 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Had it
Also
Lloyds Alert, your phone has been paired with another phone

Barclays Alert, some other nonsense

Some others I have forgotten

Yep same here. Got a text from Santander asking me to contact them regarding my account . I have never had one with them.
Be careful out there
HMRC Scams on 09:54 - Feb 28 with 1498 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Literally we've just watched this in the office and are crying laughing.

Happy Monday.

HMRC Scams on 14:31 - Feb 28 with 1304 viewswombat

HMRC Scams on 09:54 - Feb 28 by Metallica_Hoop

Literally we've just watched this in the office and are crying laughing.

Happy Monday.

I find they make a long car journey so much better , esp the ambulance chasers asking if you had an accident , always use some dinosaur coming out of the woods and destroying my bugatti MPV as what car i was driving , think my best is 25 mins before they hang up, must do better next time

Poll: which is your favouite foot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024