Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seriously falling out of love with football 15:42 - Mar 21 with 6921 viewsloftboy

Started going to games in 1978, always loved match day, but the excitement for me is waneing, seen 3 games on tv this weekend all ruined by seriously bad refereeing mistakes, Pat Partridge, even Clive Thomas were absolute gems compared with today's "superstar" Refs. I hate turning up each week knowing deep down that a win would be a shock and hoping that we can finish 17th, what's the point, I hate being surrounded by tourists taking photos of the away team when they warm up, being tutted at if a swear word escapes my lips at yet another incompetent decision, basically if it wasn't for the conversations with fellow fans who sit around me, whom purely through QPR have become what I consider friends then the whole day would be a chore, had a chat with my kids who have been going since they were 4 and both were non plussed when I suggested not renewing next season.
May need a season break to get my enthusiasm back, but when you speak to long serving fans like Ted and they feel the same then something must be seriously wrong somewhere, bumped into my neighbour at the gym today who is a season ticket holder in the upper loft and he said loads around him we're saying the same. Very sad but a by product of the armchair fan who have been pandered to beyond belief by sky etc.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Seriously falling out of love with football on 16:08 - Mar 21 with 5094 viewsdodge_stoke_r

I know what you mean fella. I travel down from Stoke and to be honest its basically a " beer day out" for me know. Have a few tinnies on the way. A few more pints somewhere and a few more on the train home. The game itself is probably the worst part of the day. The football on offer is shite. As you say some of the officiating is diabolical and the cost of tickets is crazy. £45 for the cat A games, to members! Atmosphere getting more and more sanitised each year. I think if I lived local and just went to the game then back home, I would have binned it a while ago. Like I said, its only the fact that I treat it as a day out that keeps me going.
Seriously falling out of love with football on 16:18 - Mar 21 with 5057 viewsSpiritofGregory

If we win tomorrow, we'll all be up for it again.
Seriously falling out of love with football on 16:20 - Mar 21 with 5059 viewsHarbour

agree with you on this ..used to get a buzz walking up south africa road now stealing my self for another poor performance and losing...and £53.50 a pop to watch the rubbish for so called big teams...going sunday and the scum game may not got to anymore this season unless we put on a better show....hoping championship next year we will be competitive and not losing poorly every week..
Seriously falling out of love with football on 16:24 - Mar 21 with 5043 viewsSnipper

If ever a post has hit the nail on the fcuking head, then it's this one.

The refereeing standards are the worst I've ever known. They should have to speak to the media after a game to explain their diabolical decisions. Instead the bastards get away with it.

Cheating is also ruining the game. They need a panel of ex players to sit after a round of games to go through any diving issues. If your guilty, you get a 5 game ban. If you're caught a second time, your club gets docked 3 points.

I'm sick to death of modern football tbh.
Seriously falling out of love with football on 16:36 - Mar 21 with 4996 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Seriously falling out of love with football on 16:24 - Mar 21 by Snipper

If ever a post has hit the nail on the fcuking head, then it's this one.

The refereeing standards are the worst I've ever known. They should have to speak to the media after a game to explain their diabolical decisions. Instead the bastards get away with it.

Cheating is also ruining the game. They need a panel of ex players to sit after a round of games to go through any diving issues. If your guilty, you get a 5 game ban. If you're caught a second time, your club gets docked 3 points.

I'm sick to death of modern football tbh.

Democratically run supporter owned football clubs.

It's the only way forward.

Would mean long spells in the football league but so be it.

AFC Wimbledon fans seem relatively happy.
Seriously falling out of love with football on 16:57 - Mar 21 with 4943 viewsTheBlob

Love football.
It's the froth on the pint of life.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Seriously falling out of love with football on 16:59 - Mar 21 with 4938 viewsWokingR

Is it because you're not allowed a pie at half time any more?
Seriously falling out of love with football on 17:13 - Mar 21 with 4896 viewsJuzzie

I think if we were mid table in the PL it wouldn't seem so bad. Spending a third consecutive PL season mainly in the bottom three doesn't help.

But yes, there's a lot wrong at the moment that probably only people in their mid-30's upwards can see.
It's all "has the right to go down", sky brainwashing, diving, cheating, surrounding the ref, waving imaginary cards, complete lack of sportsmanship/professionalism etc that makes it on a downhill trend. Football are like banks and magazines, only after the new customers, the old ones get ignored.

It will eat itself. People will get bored of seeing everything being won by just a few teams. No competition, no surprises, none of what has made it so good the last 100+ years.

Hopefully they'll all bugger off and let the rest of us get on with it once its imploded and starts again.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2015 17:17]
Login to get fewer ads

Seriously falling out of love with football on 17:28 - Mar 21 with 4856 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Seriously falling out of love with football on 17:13 - Mar 21 by Juzzie

I think if we were mid table in the PL it wouldn't seem so bad. Spending a third consecutive PL season mainly in the bottom three doesn't help.

But yes, there's a lot wrong at the moment that probably only people in their mid-30's upwards can see.
It's all "has the right to go down", sky brainwashing, diving, cheating, surrounding the ref, waving imaginary cards, complete lack of sportsmanship/professionalism etc that makes it on a downhill trend. Football are like banks and magazines, only after the new customers, the old ones get ignored.

It will eat itself. People will get bored of seeing everything being won by just a few teams. No competition, no surprises, none of what has made it so good the last 100+ years.

Hopefully they'll all bugger off and let the rest of us get on with it once its imploded and starts again.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2015 17:17]

This isn't true.

I am 30 and have had less top flight football with QPR than most of you here.
Seriously falling out of love with football on 17:41 - Mar 21 with 4828 viewsbarabajagal

Well this probably won't help your mood then

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/mar/20/barcelona-nike-fc-football-

Nik
Seriously falling out of love with football on 18:09 - Mar 21 with 4768 viewsbosh67

Totally with this post. This club, from next season needs to get back to basics. Proper basics of bringing youth through, capping wages at a sensible level and being THE club that young talent wants to play for because they will get a real chance. We need to go on a real raid around the country and offer talented U21s that will languish in Premiership academies a chance to come to us and show what they can do. We need to bring players through and if they do move on then we only do deals where they stay with us for another season to allow us to bring other replacements through.

Basically we need to be the English Ajax. And we'll be better and more sustainable for it.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Seriously falling out of love with football on 19:00 - Mar 21 with 4685 viewsDorse

Seriously falling out of love with football on 18:09 - Mar 21 by bosh67

Totally with this post. This club, from next season needs to get back to basics. Proper basics of bringing youth through, capping wages at a sensible level and being THE club that young talent wants to play for because they will get a real chance. We need to go on a real raid around the country and offer talented U21s that will languish in Premiership academies a chance to come to us and show what they can do. We need to bring players through and if they do move on then we only do deals where they stay with us for another season to allow us to bring other replacements through.

Basically we need to be the English Ajax. And we'll be better and more sustainable for it.

Clive Berlin tried it and got it monumentally wrong causing many of problems that sent us into admin. To quote George Michael, if we're gonna do it, do it right.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Seriously falling out of love with football on 19:02 - Mar 21 with 4678 viewsloftboy

And to top it off a bloke on police bail for alledged under age sex gets bought on as a sub. Still a nice chant of "are you Saville in disguise" from the westham fans.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2015 19:02]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Seriously falling out of love with football on 19:17 - Mar 21 with 4642 viewsLofthope

It's not just football, it's most professional sport. It has become made for TV entertainment and is no longer a competition, it's a soap opera aimed at creating celebrities to attract an unthinking audience..

If you really want to enjoy sport as it should be, it's probably best to take one up and participate yourself.
Seriously falling out of love with football on 20:54 - Mar 21 with 4508 viewsJalfrezi_Rs

I love the irony in the Sky advert out at the moment where Shearer talks about his first game. How he talks about it sends shivers up me back, as its how I remember mine. Sky may have pumped loads of money into football, but to the detriment of the passion Shearer is explaining in the advert.

Wish I was clever enough to do a parady on the advert, but if I could it would include:-
- dad telling son, its his birthday present coz we can only afford 1 match a season
- gives him a half and half scarf
- sitting down / no atmosphere / no singing
- £9.99 hot dog at half time
- crowd around him, mainly tourists filming on their ipads
- being told to sit down when we scored
- half empty seats
- and on a Sunday 4pm kick off so he had to miss playing his sunday match with his mates
Seriously falling out of love with football on 21:13 - Mar 21 with 4465 viewsRuislipHoop

This post explains exactly how I feel at the moment.I have been a season ticket holder for more years than I can remember but I have lost all enthusiasm and interest in the club I have supported for more than 50 years.
I will not be going tomorrow as basically I have better things to do,I have lost all interest in watching Football on TV for all the reasons stated in the posts above.
My son who is 21 and been a Season Ticket Holder since he was six has told me he doesn't want to go anymore.
I feel quite sad that a game and sport that I have loved for most of my life has reduced me to this.
Seriously falling out of love with football on 21:24 - Mar 21 with 4443 viewsJuzzie

Seriously falling out of love with football on 17:28 - Mar 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

This isn't true.

I am 30 and have had less top flight football with QPR than most of you here.

I was generalising.
Seriously falling out of love with football on 21:45 - Mar 21 with 4398 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

I can only feel sympathy with the OP. I went to watch Barnet today courtesy of a freebie from Lee Cook. Have to say, really nice set up, modern facilities, great stadium for that level with space to add to the already tidy facilities.

Good result, 5-0 Barnet, players in bar afterwards etc.

Right full back for Barnet Yiadom looks a very promising prospect. Quick, gets forward and skilful.

Lee played well but well within himself.
Seriously falling out of love with football on 23:40 - Mar 21 with 4280 viewsRanger78

Seriously falling out of love with football on 19:17 - Mar 21 by Lofthope

It's not just football, it's most professional sport. It has become made for TV entertainment and is no longer a competition, it's a soap opera aimed at creating celebrities to attract an unthinking audience..

If you really want to enjoy sport as it should be, it's probably best to take one up and participate yourself.

Not sure I feel the same after watching an incredible day of SIX Nations Rugby today. It was incredible and some of the most enjoyable sport I've seen for a long time
Seriously falling out of love with football on 23:57 - Mar 21 with 4258 viewsCamberleyR

I am with the others who each day slowly become a little bit more disillusioned with modern football. In my past I have been a season ticket holder of many years standing and also done my fair share of away games.

Since getting promoted in 2011 I have been to just the one league game (Liverpool away in Warnock's last knockings) and not visited LR at all since the 10/11 promotion season and I can honestly say I don't miss it at all. I never, ever thought I would feel that way about QPR.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Seriously falling out of love with football on 00:33 - Mar 22 with 4203 viewsHollowayRanger

Seriously falling out of love with football on 20:54 - Mar 21 by Jalfrezi_Rs

I love the irony in the Sky advert out at the moment where Shearer talks about his first game. How he talks about it sends shivers up me back, as its how I remember mine. Sky may have pumped loads of money into football, but to the detriment of the passion Shearer is explaining in the advert.

Wish I was clever enough to do a parady on the advert, but if I could it would include:-
- dad telling son, its his birthday present coz we can only afford 1 match a season
- gives him a half and half scarf
- sitting down / no atmosphere / no singing
- £9.99 hot dog at half time
- crowd around him, mainly tourists filming on their ipads
- being told to sit down when we scored
- half empty seats
- and on a Sunday 4pm kick off so he had to miss playing his sunday match with his mates

I still aint forgiven shearer for that dive off bardsley that gave the runt a pen and Blackburn a 1-0 win

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Seriously falling out of love with football on 05:56 - Mar 22 with 4131 viewsLofthope

Seriously falling out of love with football on 23:40 - Mar 21 by Ranger78

Not sure I feel the same after watching an incredible day of SIX Nations Rugby today. It was incredible and some of the most enjoyable sport I've seen for a long time

Ahhh, but as you say, most enjoyable sport for a 'long time'. There will always be exceptions.

But remember, you are talking about International Rugby. The club game has turned into a bunch of elite clubs since the formation of the Rugby Premiership and a league structure. Many great clubs have fallen down the pecking order since the formation of the leagues (eg Rosslyn Park), which in turn creates a media focus on the top end of them and hence celebrity clubs and personalities. In my view, only having a few participants able to compete makes sport boring, eg Formula 1, Football and Rugby.

Where I will perhaps concede some ground, is that individual sports, such as Tennis and Golf, where team branding is not relevant, are more truly competitive because money doesn't buy competitiveness.

BTW, I cancelled my Sky and BT Sports subscriptions from my TV package last week.
Seriously falling out of love with football on 06:34 - Mar 22 with 4113 viewsRanger78

Seriously falling out of love with football on 05:56 - Mar 22 by Lofthope

Ahhh, but as you say, most enjoyable sport for a 'long time'. There will always be exceptions.

But remember, you are talking about International Rugby. The club game has turned into a bunch of elite clubs since the formation of the Rugby Premiership and a league structure. Many great clubs have fallen down the pecking order since the formation of the leagues (eg Rosslyn Park), which in turn creates a media focus on the top end of them and hence celebrity clubs and personalities. In my view, only having a few participants able to compete makes sport boring, eg Formula 1, Football and Rugby.

Where I will perhaps concede some ground, is that individual sports, such as Tennis and Golf, where team branding is not relevant, are more truly competitive because money doesn't buy competitiveness.

BTW, I cancelled my Sky and BT Sports subscriptions from my TV package last week.

Excellent points, I think your spot on ( although, international football doesn't feel competitive, when your English!! )

I've not quite cancelled my subscriptions yet, I still love to watch boxing also but it's fair to say that money and politics also interfere way too much in boxing!!
Seriously falling out of love with football on 07:25 - Mar 22 with 4086 viewsTonto

Loftboy

I know exactly how you feel - it happened to me about 2 1/2 years ago. It was the Man Utd game, where the loft was half full of Utd fans who had bought their tickets off viagogo, the QPR players didnt give a monkeys, the Utd players were throwing themselves to the ground to con the ref despite being 2 goals to the good, and I thought "is this really the pinacle of English football"?

I gave up my season ticket, and now just go to the odd game. I'm much happier (and better off finacnially)

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: How was the transfer window for you?

Seriously falling out of love with football on 07:25 - Mar 22 with 4080 viewsDixie_CT

Seriously falling out of love with football on 23:40 - Mar 21 by Ranger78

Rugby Union - a game made for TV. Watching the Lions win last year was one of my favourite sporting moments however It's just not the spectacle live that football is.

At Twickenham yesterday you could see it was all about just being there and having a good old drink and sing song, as for the match, probably one of the better ones but most are slow forward play with the odd penalty to break it up. Club rugby is nowhere near international standard despite what BT are trying to do.

A decent football match live, under floodlights especially is hard to beat. I understand all the frustrations but hopefully QPR is still a positive obsession for most and we will still find that enthusiasm for the club moving forward. Reality is the sport is getting bigger with new fans coming on line all the time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024