Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bikes in London 18:46 - May 28 with 9362 viewsGloucs_R

Been coming into London more recently with work. The bike situation seems to have gone mad. Never seen so many.

But..... When did the rules of the road stop applying to them? None wait at Red lights and the take away food bikes seen to be the worst.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Bikes in London on 18:16 - May 30 with 1414 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Bikes in London on 18:13 - May 30 by Hayesender

You should try crossing at a zebra crossing in Italy. In fact, I have no idea why they even have them. Absolute nutters

Indeed. Italian roads are bonkers. I once drove to the Italian coast on a single-lane carriageway which motorists turned into a dual carriageway. There was a constant stream of motorists on both sides overtaking with their indicator permanently switched on.
Bikes in London on 18:33 - May 30 with 1419 viewsPhilmyRs

Bikes in London on 15:12 - May 30 by SheffieldHoop

I have a similar issue with a zebra crossing near me, you'll stand there and at least 3 or 4 cars will pass before anybody will stop. This is while I'm taking my 2-year-old to the childminder. I assume it must be due to foreign drivers not understanding what a Zebra crossing means in the UK, because if it's not that, then what the fck?

Yeah this is a thing. Go anywhere in Europe and they don’t tend to treat a zebra crossing the same as us. Worryingly it’s starting to creep into driver behaviour over here which I’d guess is because people don’t understand. As a country, historically one of the things we’re quite good at is driving and road safety - obviously I’m talking relatively speaking. Drive in Italy, Greece to name but 2 and it’s a fcking nightmare. We need to maintain a higher bar but reckon we’ve just given up and the crap driving imported from overseas is just a thing now.
Bikes in London (n/t) on 18:45 - May 30 with 1402 viewsPunteR

Bikes in London on 11:15 - May 30 by dutch

The vitriol on here is ridiculous. I am a cyclist, but also a driver occasionally and pedestrian, most of us are. But I know that as a cyclist I am part of the solution, not the problem. It can only be a good thing that there are more cyclists in London. So why have I been spat at by drivers, regularly abused, and once intentionally knocked off ?

Of course some cyclists are twits, but most drivers (maybe even me when in my car) seem to think the road is just for them. It isn't and increasingly we are all going to have to share with all manner of electric vehicles of every kind. So get over it and stop whingeing about people on two wheels.

[Post edited 1 Jun 0:12]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Bikes in London on 18:47 - May 30 with 1394 viewsHayesender

Bikes in London on 18:16 - May 30 by Benny_the_Ball

Indeed. Italian roads are bonkers. I once drove to the Italian coast on a single-lane carriageway which motorists turned into a dual carriageway. There was a constant stream of motorists on both sides overtaking with their indicator permanently switched on.

My brother was once physically nudged out onto a roundabout in Italy by some irate driver behind him, as he had the cheek to stop and look before entering said roundabout. He had to put his foot down and pray

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Bikes in London on 18:58 - May 30 with 1365 viewsJimmyR

Bikes in London on 17:44 - May 30 by Benny_the_Ball

All daily occurrences (as confirmed by others on the thread). They may not be offences but neither is passing close to a cyclist, something which you immediately jumped on. As you yourself put it, "do the rules or the road/Highway Code we’ve heard so much about not apply in such instances?" It works both ways, sweet cheeks.

100% an offence:

Penalty for a “Close Pass”
If the case is brought before the court, careless driving can see you receive anywhere from 3-9 penalty points, a fine of between 50%-150% of your weekly income, or even a discretionary disqualification from driving.
Bikes in London on 21:42 - May 30 with 1244 viewsdutch

Bikes in London (n/t) on 18:45 - May 30 by PunteR

[Post edited 1 Jun 0:12]

If you really think most motorists obey all the rules have a look next time you are at a junction, and see how many do not indicate, especially when turning left. That is a potential death threat to a cyclist, but it happens scores of times every day.

Nowhere in the world that I know of regulates cycling in the way some on here are asking for, it simply isn't practical, and all it would do is stop people cycling, which we are trying to increase.

Sorry but motorists (and I am one) have to accept that things have changed, 20 mph in London, cyclists have priority and that's how it should be.
Bikes in London (n/t) on 00:35 - May 31 with 1174 viewsPunteR

Bikes in London on 21:42 - May 30 by dutch

If you really think most motorists obey all the rules have a look next time you are at a junction, and see how many do not indicate, especially when turning left. That is a potential death threat to a cyclist, but it happens scores of times every day.

Nowhere in the world that I know of regulates cycling in the way some on here are asking for, it simply isn't practical, and all it would do is stop people cycling, which we are trying to increase.

Sorry but motorists (and I am one) have to accept that things have changed, 20 mph in London, cyclists have priority and that's how it should be.

[Post edited 3 Jun 10:43]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Bikes in London on 05:59 - May 31 with 1128 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I admire anyone brave or mad enough to cycle in London. That said, some cyclists deserve a good kicking as much as motorists!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Login to get fewer ads

Bikes in London on 08:57 - May 31 with 1033 viewsslmrstid

Possibly moving topic slightly but one thing I think should really be encouraged in this country is that everyone who works within a five mile radius of their home should be able to get to work in a sustainable manner without relying on a motor vehicle. Cycling can play a huge part in that if people feel they can do it safely. And it would be a huge benefit to people's health.

Of course in reality you suggest such a thing you'd just get flooded with responses of "yeah but I can't because..." followed by some crap excuse as to why Ben or Jane can't possibly not use their car every day for a tiny journey.

At my old job there was a girl who lived, I kid you not because it was on one of my running routes so I knew exactly how far it was, one mile from the office, and she drove to work every day. Pathetic, and unsurprisingly was on the larger side to put it politely. That's a car completely unnecessarily on the roads, adding to the congestion for those that aren't so fortunate to work close to home, or trades etc who need to be out in vehicles.

Far too many people use cars because its an easy excuse and they are lazy. Lots of traffic in London and elsewhere could be solved by people not jumping in their car for every tiny journey.
Bikes in London on 09:07 - May 31 with 1006 viewsoldmeadoniansR

I cycle to work everyday and get very annoyed with some cyclists behaviour. Respecting red lights. Rules of the road etc. Some dangerous and some just lacking basic understanding. If I overtake you on a bike and we then meet at a red light do not position yourself in front of me so I have to overtake you again. Basics. A few cyclists giving us all a bad name.
Bikes in London on 09:38 - May 31 with 958 viewsJuzzie

Bikes in London on 09:07 - May 31 by oldmeadoniansR

I cycle to work everyday and get very annoyed with some cyclists behaviour. Respecting red lights. Rules of the road etc. Some dangerous and some just lacking basic understanding. If I overtake you on a bike and we then meet at a red light do not position yourself in front of me so I have to overtake you again. Basics. A few cyclists giving us all a bad name.

Sadly the use of “a few giving everyone a bad name” does not apply to cyclists. Sorry.
It really is a case of the majority are bad.

Someone mentioned above about an extra light for cyclists at traffic lights…ive seen them already (chiswick, camden) where a green light in the shape of a bicycle lights up first about 5-10 seconds before the main traffic lights go green.
Seems ok most of the time but you do get vehicles going first as they just subliminally see a green light.
Bikes in London on 09:46 - May 31 with 912 views1MoreBrightonR

Bikes in London on 08:57 - May 31 by slmrstid

Possibly moving topic slightly but one thing I think should really be encouraged in this country is that everyone who works within a five mile radius of their home should be able to get to work in a sustainable manner without relying on a motor vehicle. Cycling can play a huge part in that if people feel they can do it safely. And it would be a huge benefit to people's health.

Of course in reality you suggest such a thing you'd just get flooded with responses of "yeah but I can't because..." followed by some crap excuse as to why Ben or Jane can't possibly not use their car every day for a tiny journey.

At my old job there was a girl who lived, I kid you not because it was on one of my running routes so I knew exactly how far it was, one mile from the office, and she drove to work every day. Pathetic, and unsurprisingly was on the larger side to put it politely. That's a car completely unnecessarily on the roads, adding to the congestion for those that aren't so fortunate to work close to home, or trades etc who need to be out in vehicles.

Far too many people use cars because its an easy excuse and they are lazy. Lots of traffic in London and elsewhere could be solved by people not jumping in their car for every tiny journey.

Thus is 100% true (regardless of any cycling debate). All the data shows how many car journeys are really short, but everyone views their own car journey as "essential". i worked with someone who drove from Barnet to canary wharf every morning, even though it took 50% longer than the tube because "i dont like public transport". If traffic was bad, it would take 1.5 hours, which is insane.

Until people shake the idea that a car is always easiest for any journey, then there will be way too many cars on the road slowing down journeys for those that genuinely do need cars (disabled people, people who need cars for work etc). When i was a kid, if we were going to oxford street or covent garden with my parents, we would drive. You wouldnt dream of it now, because it isn't the easiest option because public transport has improved and parking is so expensive. That has changed peoples mentality around it and most people dont even think of driving there.
Bikes in London on 09:59 - May 31 with 878 viewsJuzzie

Bikes in London on 09:46 - May 31 by 1MoreBrightonR

Thus is 100% true (regardless of any cycling debate). All the data shows how many car journeys are really short, but everyone views their own car journey as "essential". i worked with someone who drove from Barnet to canary wharf every morning, even though it took 50% longer than the tube because "i dont like public transport". If traffic was bad, it would take 1.5 hours, which is insane.

Until people shake the idea that a car is always easiest for any journey, then there will be way too many cars on the road slowing down journeys for those that genuinely do need cars (disabled people, people who need cars for work etc). When i was a kid, if we were going to oxford street or covent garden with my parents, we would drive. You wouldnt dream of it now, because it isn't the easiest option because public transport has improved and parking is so expensive. That has changed peoples mentality around it and most people dont even think of driving there.

Maybe my situation is different as I commute by motorbike rather than car but a part of the problem with public transport is that it’s overcrowded, expensive, unreliable etc.

I worked out that over the course of a year, taking into account fuel, tax, insurance, maintenance/servicing etc, each return journey to work by motorbike is £5.

By train & tube, each return journey is £15.

That’s a big difference over the course of the year.
Bikes in London on 10:34 - May 31 with 818 views1MoreBrightonR

Expensive yes, but London does have one of the best/most comprehensive transport systems in the world. People love to moan about it, and it definitely isn't perfect, but how many large cities actually have a better transport system than London? A few have good subway/metro cities (especially some asian cities) but then the bus network is non existent or useless because of crazy traffic on the roads.
Bikes in London on 10:36 - May 31 with 814 viewsRBlock

Bikes in London on 17:53 - May 30 by Benny_the_Ball

It's an utter joke in Turnham Green and has ruined Chiswick High Road. Despite having another road running parallel, they decided to take away one car lane on the main road for cyclists. This is causing chaos at the junction with Turham Green Terrace, where motorists wishing to continue straight ahead have to wait for anyone wishing to turn right. You can spend 30 minutes waiting at those lights alone. Whilst I'm all for cycle lanes, they should be properly designed in a manner which safeguards cyclists and pedestrians without penalising motorists or increasing congestion and pollution.

As a cyclist, the Hammersmith - Chiswick cycle lane is excellent and makes it feel far safer to cycle down having a designated lane, rather than having to constantly worry about being cut up or squeezed by other vehicles. The traffic in Chiswick is undeniably bad, but with limited road space there obviously has to be a trade-off somewhere. It's a no-brainer to choose the side that prioritises better health, less pollution & CO2 emissions, and safety for the more vulnerable road users.
Bikes in London on 11:07 - May 31 with 778 viewsQPunkR

I was a cyclist in London my whole life before moving to Switzerland 6 years ago. Cycling in London is fkn manic and every single commute felt like a bloody dice with death. Drivers are so fkn angry nowadays.

Cycling in Switzerland by contrast is a dream - drivers are so considerate it's unreal. In the 6 years I've had no crazy close encounters and certainly no imbeciles actively trying to run me down, whereas in London I have been knocked off my bike eight times, not counting the number of close shaves I've had.

Yes there a lot of cyclist that go through red lights. But does that really mean they should be run down like rats? There have been many similar threads here down the years and neither side is going to change their opinion.

QPR - "shit but local"

Bikes in London on 11:28 - May 31 with 733 viewsSheffieldHoop

Bikes in London on 18:13 - May 30 by Hayesender

You should try crossing at a zebra crossing in Italy. In fact, I have no idea why they even have them. Absolute nutters

As I understand it
Zebra crossings in Italy don't give pedestrians the right of way, they're more like designated road crossing places where you have a better chance of crossing than say, stepping out from between 2 parked cars
UK operate more like a STOP sign in the US, where you're technically supposed to stop and check if there is a person waiting or not, but obv if we can see nobody is about we tend not to.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Bikes in London on 13:03 - May 31 with 661 viewsJuzzie

Bikes in London on 11:07 - May 31 by QPunkR

I was a cyclist in London my whole life before moving to Switzerland 6 years ago. Cycling in London is fkn manic and every single commute felt like a bloody dice with death. Drivers are so fkn angry nowadays.

Cycling in Switzerland by contrast is a dream - drivers are so considerate it's unreal. In the 6 years I've had no crazy close encounters and certainly no imbeciles actively trying to run me down, whereas in London I have been knocked off my bike eight times, not counting the number of close shaves I've had.

Yes there a lot of cyclist that go through red lights. But does that really mean they should be run down like rats? There have been many similar threads here down the years and neither side is going to change their opinion.

I must say that when I’ve ridden my motorbike in France or Germany the vehicle drivers are a lot more aware and courteous. You get used to this after a week then when disembarking at Dover and riding up the A20 it’s less than 10 minutes before a car driver (English plates usually) has tried to caress me into the verge.

There are a million reasons why vehicle drivers in the UK are often not good which is another reason why it’s so important to look out for yourself (sorry to keep banging that drum!)
Bikes in London on 14:33 - May 31 with 590 views1MoreBrightonR

When we used to go to france as kids, the family joke was always that cross walks main purpose was just to make it easier for the ambulance to find you when you got hit crossing the road
Bikes in London on 14:56 - May 31 with 551 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Bikes in London on 18:58 - May 30 by JimmyR

100% an offence:

Penalty for a “Close Pass”
If the case is brought before the court, careless driving can see you receive anywhere from 3-9 penalty points, a fine of between 50%-150% of your weekly income, or even a discretionary disqualification from driving.

Nope. That's the penalty for careless driving, not a "close pass".
Bikes in London on 14:57 - May 31 with 550 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Bikes in London on 21:42 - May 30 by dutch

"Nowhere in the world that I know of regulates cycling in the way some on here are asking for, it simply isn't practical, and all it would do is stop people cycling, which we are trying to increase."

Japan does and they have the second highest number of cyclists.
Bikes in London on 15:01 - May 31 with 533 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Bikes in London on 13:03 - May 31 by Juzzie

I must say that when I’ve ridden my motorbike in France or Germany the vehicle drivers are a lot more aware and courteous. You get used to this after a week then when disembarking at Dover and riding up the A20 it’s less than 10 minutes before a car driver (English plates usually) has tried to caress me into the verge.

There are a million reasons why vehicle drivers in the UK are often not good which is another reason why it’s so important to look out for yourself (sorry to keep banging that drum!)

Keep banging that drum. With any luck the message will seep in that they're entitled to nothing and should learn to take responsibility rather than just expect others to make adjustments.
[Post edited 31 May 15:18]
Bikes in London on 15:11 - May 31 with 516 viewsKonk

Bikes in London on 11:28 - May 31 by SheffieldHoop

As I understand it
Zebra crossings in Italy don't give pedestrians the right of way, they're more like designated road crossing places where you have a better chance of crossing than say, stepping out from between 2 parked cars
UK operate more like a STOP sign in the US, where you're technically supposed to stop and check if there is a person waiting or not, but obv if we can see nobody is about we tend not to.

In my experience, traffic won't stop for you at a zebra crossing in Italy, but if you just step out, cars and scooters will slow down and/or swerve to avoid you. Takes a bit of getting used to in Naples, for instance, but does seem to work. I use a zebra crossing every day to take my son to school - I reckon 5% of drivers don't bother stopping at that one.

As smlrstid has said, even if you don't care about the environment or polluting the air, from a public health perspective, anything that encourages people to walk or cycle as they commute/socialise/run errands, has to be a good thing. I spend time in Amsterdam, Utrecht, and other Dutch cities every year, and it's really unusual to spot overweight people. The diet isn't particularly different, they drink plenty of beer, and lots of them have the same sedentary jobs as we have, but because most people cycle from early childhood until well into old age, they are much fitter and healthier. One of my neighbours drives to the gym and it's a five minute walk. Weird.

Deciding to cycle to work 11-12 years ago was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Got me much fitter, I've usually enjoyed the ride, I knew pretty much exactly how long journeys would take. It was much less stressful than fighting to get on a tube or bus, and then finding I was sat next to a bloke chomping on chicken, and throwing bones on the floor, whilst loudly playing sh it music out of his phone.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Bikes in London on 15:13 - May 31 with 501 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Bikes in London on 11:52 - May 30 by JimmyR

On your last point, I think that explains a lot of the vitriol on here

They voted for it and they added 2% on to our mortgages, pumped shite into rivers etc

All you can hear now is the horrifying & terrible sound of ppl not wanting to admit (to themselves or anyone else) that they are not only part of the problem but maybe the cause of it entirely. Thankfully, slowly and surely these attitudes are dying.

But not without reverence for the good old days when you could beat the shit out of your Mrs, drive home after 12 pints and face absolutely no consequences whatsoever

I wondered how long it would take radical lefties to pin the blame for poor cycling behaviour on the Tories. Laughable theory. No mention, of course, of the weight of immigration in London coupled with the lack of assimilation resulting in road users (motorists and cyclists alike) not understanding the rules, let alone obeying them.
[Post edited 31 May 15:16]
Bikes in London on 15:30 - May 31 with 451 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Bikes in London on 15:11 - May 31 by Konk

In my experience, traffic won't stop for you at a zebra crossing in Italy, but if you just step out, cars and scooters will slow down and/or swerve to avoid you. Takes a bit of getting used to in Naples, for instance, but does seem to work. I use a zebra crossing every day to take my son to school - I reckon 5% of drivers don't bother stopping at that one.

As smlrstid has said, even if you don't care about the environment or polluting the air, from a public health perspective, anything that encourages people to walk or cycle as they commute/socialise/run errands, has to be a good thing. I spend time in Amsterdam, Utrecht, and other Dutch cities every year, and it's really unusual to spot overweight people. The diet isn't particularly different, they drink plenty of beer, and lots of them have the same sedentary jobs as we have, but because most people cycle from early childhood until well into old age, they are much fitter and healthier. One of my neighbours drives to the gym and it's a five minute walk. Weird.

Deciding to cycle to work 11-12 years ago was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Got me much fitter, I've usually enjoyed the ride, I knew pretty much exactly how long journeys would take. It was much less stressful than fighting to get on a tube or bus, and then finding I was sat next to a bloke chomping on chicken, and throwing bones on the floor, whilst loudly playing sh it music out of his phone.

No one is debating the positives of taking up cycling. It's the poor riding habits in London that was brought into question by the OP. I encourage anyone to take up cycling but do so responsibly and don't act entitled expecting the world to give way.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024