Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What do we need? 05:37 - Oct 3 with 9739 viewsstainrods_elbow

4 players, I'd suggest.

A goalkeeper. (How I miss my Smithies!)

A tall (or alternatively small) ball-playing central defender. Are Danny Maddix and/or Paul Parker still in the building?

A midfield, Sean Derry-esque enforcer.

A better than Hugill Hugill (who I fear is looking less and less like an upgrade on Matt Smith, boys and girls).

(I make that a spine. We need to grow a bit of it.)

I shall ask Santa, as Mr Hoos doesn't quite warm the cockles in this domain.

That is all.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2019 5:44]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

What do we need? on 15:16 - Oct 3 with 2735 viewsBenny_the_Ball

What do we need? on 15:10 - Oct 3 by oldmisery

We need me to go on holiday more often. Whilst I was away we beat Wednesday, Luton and Millwall. Since I got home we've lost twice. Therefore, if anybody would like to fund a vacation for Mr and Mrs Misery, please feel free to offer me the contents of your bank account.

Will a one way ticket work?
What do we need? on 15:37 - Oct 3 with 2699 viewsoldmisery

What do we need? on 15:16 - Oct 3 by Benny_the_Ball

Will a one way ticket work?

If it's for the missus, then yes.
What do we need? on 15:39 - Oct 3 with 2689 viewskensalriser

What do we need? on 13:46 - Oct 3 by PinnerPaul

No - I really don't take ancient past form between teams into account and nor do or should the bookies.

Yeah, no such things as hoodoos. All statistics contain outliers and our record v Blackburn is just that, an outlier.

Similarly, you can flip a coin and get heads ten times in a row, the probability for the 11th flip is still 50/50.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

What do we need? on 15:51 - Oct 3 with 2666 viewsFrankRightguard

A sense of perspective, I’d suggest
What do we need? on 15:53 - Oct 3 with 2653 viewsMatch82

What do we need? on 15:39 - Oct 3 by kensalriser

Yeah, no such things as hoodoos. All statistics contain outliers and our record v Blackburn is just that, an outlier.

Similarly, you can flip a coin and get heads ten times in a row, the probability for the 11th flip is still 50/50.

See your point but a coin doesn't have an emotional investment in the outcome.
See our Forest away win as an example. Leistner stated afterwards how aware the players were and how it motivated them. That motivation can exist in a positive or negative way but undoubtedly affects the result.

Now whether Blackburn qualifies as a "hoodoo" or not is another question
What do we need? on 17:01 - Oct 3 with 2601 viewsCamberleyR

What do we need? on 15:53 - Oct 3 by Match82

See your point but a coin doesn't have an emotional investment in the outcome.
See our Forest away win as an example. Leistner stated afterwards how aware the players were and how it motivated them. That motivation can exist in a positive or negative way but undoubtedly affects the result.

Now whether Blackburn qualifies as a "hoodoo" or not is another question

"Now whether Blackburn qualifies as a "hoodoo" or not is another question"

I'd politely suggest it does or they do. Take a look at this horror show. Since last beating them at home in November 1993 our record home and away in order in league and cup reads like this:

LLLLDWDLLLDLDLDDDLLLL

Home P10 W0 D5 L5
Away P11 W1 D2 L8

The only anomaly in that lot being the 2-0 away win (Wardley, Gallen) that got Brian Kidd the sack in autumn 1999.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

What do we need? on 17:02 - Oct 3 with 2600 viewsAntti_Heinola

What do we need? on 17:01 - Oct 3 by CamberleyR

I'd politely suggest it does or they do. Take a look at this horror show. Since last beating them at home in November 1993 our record home and away in order in league and cup reads like this:

LLLLDWDLLLDLDLDDDLLLL

Home P10 W0 D5 L5
Away P11 W1 D2 L8

The only anomaly in that lot being the 2-0 away win (Wardley, Gallen) that got Brian Kidd the sack in autumn 1999.

Law of averages we'll win on Sat then, don't see the problem.

Bare bones.

What do we need? on 22:23 - Oct 3 with 2515 viewsdistortR

What do we need? on 17:02 - Oct 3 by Antti_Heinola

Law of averages we'll win on Sat then, don't see the problem.

law of averages said we'd be beating them regularly over the last 21 games as well.

someone should call the karma cops
Login to get fewer ads

What do we need? on 00:16 - Oct 4 with 2469 viewstimcocking

Ahhh, Smithies...Smithies.

He didn't let many easy ones in. And the first goal against in most matches, he'd stop that too.
What do we need? on 00:23 - Oct 4 with 2464 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Poll: Expectations for this season?

What do we need? on 10:54 - Oct 4 with 2379 viewsDorse

LLLLDWDLLLDLDLDDDLLLL

Home P10 W0 D5 L5
Away P11 W1 D2 L8

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

What do we need? on 12:35 - Oct 4 with 2337 viewsDavieQPR

Just need to dust ourselves down and go again. Every team in this division is going to have blips. Except Stoke .
What do we need? on 13:22 - Oct 4 with 2319 viewsTheChef

LLLLDWDLLLDLDLDDDLLLL

Home P10 W0 D5 L5
Away P11 W1 D2 L8

That is quite remarkable, Brian.

Nailed on 5-0 win tomorrow then!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

What do we need? on 14:31 - Oct 5 with 2202 viewsstainrods_elbow

What do we need? on 08:44 - Oct 3 by Northernr

Another one of those posters we don't hear a thing from during a four match winning run but is suddenly back pedalling the need for a completely new spine to the side and another dig at the CEO after two defeats.

Oh don't worry about me, Northernr - I've been enjoying our little run, and am still enjoying our little dip in my own way. Just been a bit busy writing books, editing other people's and teaching the Chinese, what? Was perplexed to read of your apparent deployment of a cycling metaphor till I realised you meant 'pedlar' rather than 'pedaller', but I'm glad to see my little stir of the LFW pot generated plenty of replies, however, which is presumably the point of a message board. (Even if hell is often other people).

I do think we need a better keeper than Lummers, though, plus a central defender (Hall can't be relied upon physically, Barbet is talented but gaffe-prone, and our BFG decent but limited), a midfield Lord Derry-type enforcer, and a centre forward understudy (or overstudy) to humungus 'Hug me' Hugill. And I bet, in an ideal world, our excellent manager would too, promising and progressive though our squad is looking.

I think today's bogey match vs Blackburn will tell us plenty about the team's character substance and bouncebackability, and the selection will be interesting.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2019 17:02]

What do we need? on 14:42 - Oct 5 with 2196 viewsstainrods_elbow

What do we need? on 12:57 - Oct 3 by JordanFoster

What a crazy post.

Lumley and Kelly are more than able for a club our size in the Championship.

Yoann Barbet is arguably the best ball playing defender in the league, but like many other players in this league if he could defender like Kompany and play like he does he wouldn't be in this league.

One of Scowen, Ball and Cameron are more than capable of playing that role.

Hugill is 10x the player of Smith and has completely no service.

To say the spine needs replacing after a loss against one of this years promoted teams and a typucal Neil Warnock side we completely outplayed seems harsh.

Perhaps a new spine is a tad over-dramatic, but we're certainly one or two vertebrae short of a picnic. No idea why you think a gaffe-prone, shaky, if sometimes impressive shot-stopping keeper like Joe is good enough for lil ol' QPR, nor why you think Hugill's persistent attempts to find row Z of late, rather than concentrating and striking the ball like a professional, indicates a 'lack of service', but he needs to score more than the one in four chances (at best) he gets and, when he's not, provide more than he is, in my opinion. (His stats have been good up to now, however, so hopefully he'll come good again.)

It's a game of opinions, and I couldn't be happier with our manager, but it's whether the board will back him or keep sselling off the family silver at below market value that I'm worred about. if Eze is off in January for anything less than an eight figure sum (and 10m, for me, would still be a steal) it'll be another slap in the face for supporters, post Smithies.

What do we need? on 15:07 - Oct 5 with 2179 viewsdanehoop

What do we need? on 14:42 - Oct 5 by stainrods_elbow

Perhaps a new spine is a tad over-dramatic, but we're certainly one or two vertebrae short of a picnic. No idea why you think a gaffe-prone, shaky, if sometimes impressive shot-stopping keeper like Joe is good enough for lil ol' QPR, nor why you think Hugill's persistent attempts to find row Z of late, rather than concentrating and striking the ball like a professional, indicates a 'lack of service', but he needs to score more than the one in four chances (at best) he gets and, when he's not, provide more than he is, in my opinion. (His stats have been good up to now, however, so hopefully he'll come good again.)

It's a game of opinions, and I couldn't be happier with our manager, but it's whether the board will back him or keep sselling off the family silver at below market value that I'm worred about. if Eze is off in January for anything less than an eight figure sum (and 10m, for me, would still be a steal) it'll be another slap in the face for supporters, post Smithies.

I'm not quit sure where your sense of reality has come from, but carry on, always entertaining to see the re-emergence of the delusional.

Financially we are managing to steer through one of the more difficult positions we have been in for many years and effectively cut the pay budget to a quarter of what it was just over 3 years ago. 8 Games in, massively changed squad driven more than a little by HAVING NO MONEY and a new manager trying to bed in, but despite all that, managing to stay more than competitive as well as playing some good football.

What are your expectations in the circumstances?

We are not going to win the league, we have neither the depth or quality of squad to do that. Because of the small stadium we struggle to generate sufficient income to really invest more deeply into the squad - despite the fact we know that the owners would be willing to.

We are a small community based club in West London with a very small budget. We do have a lot of good talent who are being coached well and visibly improving by some really good coaching staff. We do have had a good team spirit and a team that is clearly more together and playing for each other, led by a very good manager at this level. We are not in a strong bargaining position when it comes to selling our players, which is well understood by those looking at our players.

Equally we tend to have a degree of bi-polarity in how we choose to assess our players. Lumley hasn't suddenly become terrible, but he is, like many young keepers in this league, prone to elements of inconsistency - a good shot stopper, but with elements to develop. He will make mistakes - even Smithies made mistakes. Equally Eze isn't the finished article, but he is another young player who is developing well. Is he worth an 8 figure sum? No, not yet and it would be a surprise if anyone interested would want to put that sort of money to get him in January (clubs buying then often are looking for quick fixes to their seasons) from the clubs who might be looking. Remove the QPR optimism bias on this, and think what top end Championship clubs or lower mid table Premiership clubs might be willing to pay a club which is absolutely desperate for cash.

As for strikers, we have a very decent strike force at this level within our budget. Who do you think we can attract with our salary levels and position?

As you say, its all about opinions. Some are more grounded in reality, some in unrealistic hopes or expectation. For me, in my opinion, I am happy with the overall direction in our circumstances. I accept with a new manager and new squad there are going to be times when we just come up against better teams or just dont get the results. Provided we are competitive and the team trying, I feel we will finish upper mid table and be satisfied with that. If you want more, perhaps go back to watching Chelsea, which might give you something more in line with your expectation.

Never knowingly understood

What do we need? on 17:19 - Oct 5 with 2152 viewsstainrods_elbow

What do we need? on 15:07 - Oct 5 by danehoop

I'm not quit sure where your sense of reality has come from, but carry on, always entertaining to see the re-emergence of the delusional.

Financially we are managing to steer through one of the more difficult positions we have been in for many years and effectively cut the pay budget to a quarter of what it was just over 3 years ago. 8 Games in, massively changed squad driven more than a little by HAVING NO MONEY and a new manager trying to bed in, but despite all that, managing to stay more than competitive as well as playing some good football.

We are not going to win the league, we have neither the depth or quality of squad to do that. Because of the small stadium we struggle to generate sufficient income to really invest more deeply into the squad - despite the fact we know that the owners would be willing to.

We are a small community based club in West London with a very small budget. We do have a lot of good talent who are being coached well and visibly improving by some really good coaching staff. We do have had a good team spirit and a team that is clearly more together and playing for each other, led by a very good manager at this level. We are not in a strong bargaining position when it comes to selling our players, which is well understood by those looking at our players.

Equally we tend to have a degree of bi-polarity in how we choose to assess our players. Lumley hasn't suddenly become terrible, but he is, like many young keepers in this league, prone to elements of inconsistency - a good shot stopper, but with elements to develop. He will make mistakes - even Smithies made mistakes. Equally Eze isn't the finished article, but he is another young player who is developing well. Is he worth an 8 figure sum? No, not yet and it would be a surprise if anyone interested would want to put that sort of money to get him in January (clubs buying then often are looking for quick fixes to their seasons) from the clubs who might be looking. Remove the QPR optimism bias on this, and think what top end Championship clubs or lower mid table Premiership clubs might be willing to pay a club which is absolutely desperate for cash.

As for strikers, we have a very decent strike force at this level within our budget. Who do you think we can attract with our salary levels and position?

As you say, its all about opinions. Some are more grounded in reality, some in unrealistic hopes or expectation. For me, in my opinion, I am happy with the overall direction in our circumstances. I accept with a new manager and new squad there are going to be times when we just come up against better teams or just dont get the results. Provided we are competitive and the team trying, I feel we will finish upper mid table and be satisfied with that. If you want more, perhaps go back to watching Chelsea, which might give you something more in line with your expectation.

What a speech - but are you Lee Hoos in disguise with your hook, line and sinker swallow of the 'we must leave LR to grow the business' official mantra, or perhaps one of those over-secure men in white coats with a syringe in their hands? With the latter in mind, it's always good to have chaps like you put one's own 'bipolar delusions' about watching QPR in perspective from the panoptical vista of your superior grasp on 'reality'. (Have a look into your local library and try reading a man called R D Laing, who knew a bit more than you, I suspect, about the life of the mind in this domain!) And as for going to watch Chelsea, I've been watching and suffering over and writing about QPR for over 40 years, so give me a break! I"m glad I entertain you at least - but, frankly, your dire rationalism makes my eyes roll in my head. Yes, there's been much more to get excited about and impressed by this season given all the problems of the club's/FL's making, and, yes, there's some real promise in the side, and, yes, as I've stated already, I'm thrilled with the job Warburton's doing, who makes me think of the lovely poet-manager Dave Sexton at times. Sorry to tarnish your/northern r's glib caricature of me as some kind of psychotic doom-mongerer! As has been pointed out to you already, the issue is more about your inability to tolerate critique, but I can't be bothered to dig any deeper on your behalf.

Now toddle back to your pristinely rational little cult-leadershipism of the lovely, noisy, fractious QPR church and leave those of us who have opinions, passions and provocations to share to keep ringing dem bells.

What do we need? on 17:22 - Oct 5 with 2146 viewsdanehoop

We won today. Sorry if it ruined your weekend. X

Never knowingly understood

What do we need? on 17:33 - Oct 5 with 2109 viewsCamberleyR

What do we need? on 17:19 - Oct 5 by stainrods_elbow

What a speech - but are you Lee Hoos in disguise with your hook, line and sinker swallow of the 'we must leave LR to grow the business' official mantra, or perhaps one of those over-secure men in white coats with a syringe in their hands? With the latter in mind, it's always good to have chaps like you put one's own 'bipolar delusions' about watching QPR in perspective from the panoptical vista of your superior grasp on 'reality'. (Have a look into your local library and try reading a man called R D Laing, who knew a bit more than you, I suspect, about the life of the mind in this domain!) And as for going to watch Chelsea, I've been watching and suffering over and writing about QPR for over 40 years, so give me a break! I"m glad I entertain you at least - but, frankly, your dire rationalism makes my eyes roll in my head. Yes, there's been much more to get excited about and impressed by this season given all the problems of the club's/FL's making, and, yes, there's some real promise in the side, and, yes, as I've stated already, I'm thrilled with the job Warburton's doing, who makes me think of the lovely poet-manager Dave Sexton at times. Sorry to tarnish your/northern r's glib caricature of me as some kind of psychotic doom-mongerer! As has been pointed out to you already, the issue is more about your inability to tolerate critique, but I can't be bothered to dig any deeper on your behalf.

Now toddle back to your pristinely rational little cult-leadershipism of the lovely, noisy, fractious QPR church and leave those of us who have opinions, passions and provocations to share to keep ringing dem bells.

Until the last paragraph that was a fairly balanced response to danehoop's eloquent post but you just can't help yourself with a snidey little dig at the end. No wonder you seem to get people's backs up.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2019 18:27]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

What do we need? on 18:43 - Oct 5 with 1897 viewsloftboy

From what I. An see all we need to do is ensure Mark Warburton remains our manager for the foreseeable and to have some patience when things don’t go quite right. Absolutely gutted I have to work every other weekend as I’ve never wanted my season ticket back more since I gave it up in 2016. Only been to the Sheffield away game so far and saw enough in that to see the %10000 improvement over the last few years.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

What do we need? on 23:30 - Oct 5 with 1719 viewszizoustainrod

What do we need? on 17:33 - Oct 5 by CamberleyR

Until the last paragraph that was a fairly balanced response to danehoop's eloquent post but you just can't help yourself with a snidey little dig at the end. No wonder you seem to get people's backs up.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2019 18:27]

Couldn't agree more.
What do we need? on 00:12 - Oct 6 with 1677 viewsBenny_the_Ball

What do we need? on 15:37 - Oct 3 by oldmisery

If it's for the missus, then yes.

In that case Mrs Benny can join her.
What do we need? on 04:34 - Oct 6 with 1608 viewsDylanP

What do we need? on 08:35 - Oct 3 by ridethewave

Beat Blackburn? Christ, you're optimistic!

Do you feel silly?

Beat them, we ripped them a new one.

As for the OP, what load of unthought-out tosh

Our goalies are fine. Neither will play for England this year but Lumley is a great keeper and Kelly has potential. Replacing either would be daft.

We have at least two genuine mid field enforcers. How many do we need?

Our defense clearly hasn't gelled yet but its still early in the season so hopefully there is time to turn that ship around.

As for firepower, I believe we have scored more goals than any other team in the division and Wells and Hugil are both in the top 5 goalscorers in the division. Wells actually has the best goalscoring ratio in the division with a goal every 87 minutes played, according to the BBC.

As for Hoos, I cannot fathom why he would come in for criticism at this time.

Some people are just looking for a reason to complain, when what the team needs is patience, time to learn, grow, gel and mature as a team. The manager needs time for his ideas to come to fruition. And the players need the support of a loud, raucous crowd to give them the confidence to take risks, learn, and succeed.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

What do we need? on 08:32 - Oct 6 with 1501 viewsdannyblue

What do we need? on 15:07 - Oct 5 by danehoop

I’d suggest a slight alteration to the outlook. My interpretation is we’re no longer desperate for cash and we’re now in a position to hold out for good fees, and even spend a bit if we want to. We’ve done the hard work of cutting the budget. We’ll be compliant this year. Next year, as the redknapp season drops out of the rolling reckoning, we’ll be able to make a bigger loss if we choose to and still be compliant.
What do we need? on 10:59 - Oct 6 with 1378 viewshopphoops

What do we need? on 17:19 - Oct 5 by stainrods_elbow

You belong on https://www.reddit.com/r/iamverysmart/

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024