Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
sol cambell 21:27 - Nov 29 with 5134 viewsdigswellhoop

so sol says hes one of the WORLDS BEST EVER PLAYERS?
what do you think i give him 6 minths
sol cambell on 10:16 - Nov 30 with 1858 viewsdaveB

sol cambell on 10:07 - Nov 30 by Konk

I think odd is probably the imperative word, there.

In terms of Lampard and Gerrard, Lampard comes across as a reasonably intelligent bloke, which I think is crucial to being a good coach and probably makes him a convincing candidate. Both have good connections in terms of securing loans from their former clubs, both are big names for media attention/recruitment and not to be underestimated, both are big name former players that their clubs's owners get to swoon over.

I don't think it's only down to race as he has suggested, he does come across as an idiot but I'd have thought he could get a better job than bottom of league 2. His equivalent as a player has to be the likes of Terry Butcher or John terry, Butcher got plenty of decent jobs despite being crap and Terry was walked into Villa straight away. Both Butcher and Terry are also a little weird so I can see why Campbell points to race as an issue.

ITV4 had an interesting show which looked at racism in football the other night and touched on lack of black managers in the game, I've no idea what the answer is but just doesn't seem right that we have so few black people working in the game even as coaches.

You see it at QPR the jobs for boys stuff about Ferdinand as several black people got jobs at the club. When Sol Campbell did a part time coaching role at QPR people lost their minds about him coming in jobs for the boys etc, i don't think you'd get anything like that if QPR offered a coaching role to a white coach no matter what he did as a player. It's certainly still an issue
sol cambell on 10:21 - Nov 30 with 1851 viewsKonk

sol cambell on 10:16 - Nov 30 by daveB

I don't think it's only down to race as he has suggested, he does come across as an idiot but I'd have thought he could get a better job than bottom of league 2. His equivalent as a player has to be the likes of Terry Butcher or John terry, Butcher got plenty of decent jobs despite being crap and Terry was walked into Villa straight away. Both Butcher and Terry are also a little weird so I can see why Campbell points to race as an issue.

ITV4 had an interesting show which looked at racism in football the other night and touched on lack of black managers in the game, I've no idea what the answer is but just doesn't seem right that we have so few black people working in the game even as coaches.

You see it at QPR the jobs for boys stuff about Ferdinand as several black people got jobs at the club. When Sol Campbell did a part time coaching role at QPR people lost their minds about him coming in jobs for the boys etc, i don't think you'd get anything like that if QPR offered a coaching role to a white coach no matter what he did as a player. It's certainly still an issue

Agreed. With something like the Rooney rule, some black former players would at least get an opportunity to get in front of owners to sell themselves. That seems to me to be an entirely reasonable expectation because there's definitely a big issue with things as they stand at the moment. Maybe owners are concerned about how appointing a black manager/head coach would go down with fans, but I honestly can't see it being a problem with 95%+ of fans - or am I being naïve?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

sol cambell on 10:44 - Nov 30 with 1819 viewsRs_Holy

sol cambell on 10:16 - Nov 30 by daveB

I vaguely remember 1 or 2 voices on here commenting on it but I dont think it was many and certainly not a sizable percentage. We've had Ramsay as manager and we got relegated and he was only sacked in Novemeber after a disapointing start to that season. JFH was given the QPR job after getting promotion at Burton but was not that great here (the 6-0 at home to Newcastle was a game and a half)... Paul Hall is doing a fab job, as is Furs and also Chris Ramsay with the Acedemy. Sir Les is doing such a good job that the FA came sniffing!
Not really sure what Im trying to say other than QPR seem to be leading the way in employing black people at senior levels in the club, but if a manager is not good enough...
[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 11:01]
sol cambell on 10:48 - Nov 30 with 1813 viewsMrSheen

sol cambell on 09:36 - Nov 30 by JamesB1979

At his peak, he was immense centre back for club and country. I don’t think there’s been a better defender for England in my lifetime (I’m under 40). Him and Rio Ferdinand together were brilliant.

I can't help thinking that if he'd gone from Spurs to Inter instead of Arsenal, he'd get more credit, despite the fact that the Arsenal team he joined was one of the best club sides ever. Like Sterling and Liverpool, having a significant group of fans baying for your blood does taint how the rest of the country sees you. How many on here would have an honest view of John Terry the player?
I think his one game at Notts County after signing a five year contract might have put a few lower league clubs off him, though.
sol cambell on 11:06 - Nov 30 with 1789 viewsToast_R

sol cambell on 10:01 - Nov 30 by Konk

Tony Adams got Wycombe and Pompey, did poorly and hasn't had anything in England since. I guess the point is that he was given a chance in the first place.

There definitely does seem to be an issue with black former players getting interviews for jobs, and I would support something like the Rooney rule in that regard, however, even in sympathetic media pieces, Campbell has always come across as someone who would be an absolute nightmare to find yourself sat next to at a meal. Arrogant, intense and a bit difficult. Whether it's fair or not, he doesn't strike me as someone it would be easy to warm to or work alongside.

Of the others on your list -

Cole - the lack of self-awareness re his "almost swerved of the road" upon hearing about Arsenal's £60kpw or whatever it was comment in his biography. Shooting Youth players with an airgun, being a di ck with his missus etc. Great player, but seemingly a kn ob. Also not helped by being an in the ref's face shouty twa t for Chelsea. I think it's probably the case that he just might not be that nice a bloke. Same as John Terry, who has had plenty of stick in the media.

Barnes - was only really slated for being generally underwhelming for England...which he was. Did a shi t job at Celtic and hasn't had a look-in since. Not that surprising. I don't remember people questioning him as an individual.

Campbell - regarded as a brilliant footballer, but a bit of an oddbod.

Sterling - not done much for England, which gets every sheep on his back, and as someone who never watches England games in pubs, I couldn't believe the amount of abuse he got v Tunisia in the pub I was in. The media stick he's taken for his lifestyle is definitely disproportionate and sadly, I wouldn't doubt that there's a racial element to that amongst many of his critics.

The only two players I can remember having a large section of their own supporters jeering them in an England shirt have been Barnes and Cole. Completely unwarranted on both counts. Cole was the best left back England ever had with 100 caps and John Barnes was a genius. Plenty of footballers have moved clubs for more money and plenty have cheated on their spouse.
sol cambell on 11:16 - Nov 30 with 1779 viewspaulparker

sol cambell on 08:57 - Nov 30 by Toast_R

As opposed to recovering alcoholic Tony Adams...
Weird. How many managers are a little bit weird but when it's not a black player, it gets brushed under the carpet as slighty eccentric? Clough was weird, Ian Holloway too. Look at Mourinho the self proclaimed "Special One"

Good black players in England shirts = abuse and an almost subconscious like obsession with every negative aspect what the media would have you believe about their character and it seems to get lapped up, it really is quite sad.

Ashley Cole
John Barnes
Sol Campbell
Andy Cole
Raheem Sterling

Tell me none of that is just mere coincidence?

TBF toast , John Barnes was in the main sh1te for England , he was also a sh1te manager ask tranmere and Celtic fans that one,
Barnes was continually picked for England without doing the business, the likes of Rocastle, Merson, Sinton , and other such wingers hardly got a sniff of a call up because the England team always picked itself that’s why a lot of people hate on Barnes

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

sol cambell on 11:26 - Nov 30 with 1760 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I think that even after discrimination is left behind by a group of people that it still takes time for equal opportunities to filter through. Too long. Catholics get emancipation, but where're the opportunities? Women get the vote, but where are the jobs? Women get equal pay, but why the glass ceiling? Too long.

These things - wrongly - have to be won in hard-earned little victories. Black players don't fancy the cold. Black players are no good at the back. Black players won't get respect as captains. All of these myths have to be demolished. And have been, at least in any fair find.

It may take more hard-earned victories for black managers to be fairly treated at a subconscious level. Vieira and Ferdinand are leading the way at the moment in backroom roles. It's nowhere near enough....

Ah, that's a load of well-meant hogwash I just typed.

Campbell's right. The rest is nonsense.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

sol cambell on 11:28 - Nov 30 with 1757 viewsdaveB

sol cambell on 10:21 - Nov 30 by Konk

Agreed. With something like the Rooney rule, some black former players would at least get an opportunity to get in front of owners to sell themselves. That seems to me to be an entirely reasonable expectation because there's definitely a big issue with things as they stand at the moment. Maybe owners are concerned about how appointing a black manager/head coach would go down with fans, but I honestly can't see it being a problem with 95%+ of fans - or am I being naïve?

Sadly it did prove to be an issue for some people when Ramsey and later Hasselbaink were manager at QPR, to be fair most of the criticism (especially on here) was due to them not being very good and I've seen white managers get far worse abuse but there were certainly more than a few who had a problem with the skin colour. I think thats a problem in society now though, racism seems to be happening a lot more now than it was 15 years ago so it's not just a football thing. You only have to look at twitter when Idris Elba was linked with playing James Bond, christ you'd think he murdered someone the way people went on.
Login to get fewer ads

sol cambell on 11:29 - Nov 30 with 1748 viewsBrianMcCarthy

sol cambell on 11:28 - Nov 30 by daveB

Sadly it did prove to be an issue for some people when Ramsey and later Hasselbaink were manager at QPR, to be fair most of the criticism (especially on here) was due to them not being very good and I've seen white managers get far worse abuse but there were certainly more than a few who had a problem with the skin colour. I think thats a problem in society now though, racism seems to be happening a lot more now than it was 15 years ago so it's not just a football thing. You only have to look at twitter when Idris Elba was linked with playing James Bond, christ you'd think he murdered someone the way people went on.

True.

Plus, If he was going to be James Bond you'd have wanted him to be good at murder.

sol cambell on 11:34 - Nov 30 with 1739 viewsRs_Holy

sol cambell on 11:06 - Nov 30 by Toast_R

The only two players I can remember having a large section of their own supporters jeering them in an England shirt have been Barnes and Cole. Completely unwarranted on both counts. Cole was the best left back England ever had with 100 caps and John Barnes was a genius. Plenty of footballers have moved clubs for more money and plenty have cheated on their spouse.

Fair comments about the jeering. Barnes was probably one of the most frustrating players to play for England and he got 80 plus caps but he should not have been jeered. He scored THAT goal agianst Brazil, I also remember a pearler of a free kick and also not forgetting he was the only man capable of producing a decent rap for World In Motion.
Cole is simply not a very nice person but Terrys far worse and he never got abused (apart from at Loftus Road...which was nice).
sol cambell on 12:01 - Nov 30 with 1689 viewsKonk

sol cambell on 11:34 - Nov 30 by Rs_Holy

Fair comments about the jeering. Barnes was probably one of the most frustrating players to play for England and he got 80 plus caps but he should not have been jeered. He scored THAT goal agianst Brazil, I also remember a pearler of a free kick and also not forgetting he was the only man capable of producing a decent rap for World In Motion.
Cole is simply not a very nice person but Terrys far worse and he never got abused (apart from at Loftus Road...which was nice).

Terry always got loads of stick against Fulham and was massively unpopular with pretty much every football fan I’ve ever heard expressing an opinion on him. In fact, the only nice Chelsea fan I’ve ever met, hates John Terry!

sol cambell on 12:20 - Nov 30 with 1667 viewsMrSheen

sol cambell on 10:01 - Nov 30 by Konk

Tony Adams got Wycombe and Pompey, did poorly and hasn't had anything in England since. I guess the point is that he was given a chance in the first place.

There definitely does seem to be an issue with black former players getting interviews for jobs, and I would support something like the Rooney rule in that regard, however, even in sympathetic media pieces, Campbell has always come across as someone who would be an absolute nightmare to find yourself sat next to at a meal. Arrogant, intense and a bit difficult. Whether it's fair or not, he doesn't strike me as someone it would be easy to warm to or work alongside.

Of the others on your list -

Cole - the lack of self-awareness re his "almost swerved of the road" upon hearing about Arsenal's £60kpw or whatever it was comment in his biography. Shooting Youth players with an airgun, being a di ck with his missus etc. Great player, but seemingly a kn ob. Also not helped by being an in the ref's face shouty twa t for Chelsea. I think it's probably the case that he just might not be that nice a bloke. Same as John Terry, who has had plenty of stick in the media.

Barnes - was only really slated for being generally underwhelming for England...which he was. Did a shi t job at Celtic and hasn't had a look-in since. Not that surprising. I don't remember people questioning him as an individual.

Campbell - regarded as a brilliant footballer, but a bit of an oddbod.

Sterling - not done much for England, which gets every sheep on his back, and as someone who never watches England games in pubs, I couldn't believe the amount of abuse he got v Tunisia in the pub I was in. The media stick he's taken for his lifestyle is definitely disproportionate and sadly, I wouldn't doubt that there's a racial element to that amongst many of his critics.

Barnes got a second crack at club management.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/oct/09/john-barnes-tranmere-peter
sol cambell on 12:53 - Nov 30 with 1625 viewsdaveB

sol cambell on 11:29 - Nov 30 by BrianMcCarthy

True.

Plus, If he was going to be James Bond you'd have wanted him to be good at murder.

Good at Murder, shagging and eyebrow raising are the skills you need for both James Bond and football management
sol cambell on 12:56 - Nov 30 with 1622 viewsKonk

sol cambell on 12:20 - Nov 30 by MrSheen

Barnes got a second crack at club management.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/oct/09/john-barnes-tranmere-peter

Oh yeah - I’d forgotten about Tranny. Not sure Barnes could have too many complaints.

Campbell may well be an incredible coach, but from what I’ve seen and heard, I don’t think I’d want to be his boss. Possibly jaundiced by the fact that I’m from a Tottenham supporting family who all hate the bloke.

Toast - Cole comes across as a right wan ker. Brilliant player - absolute ti t of a man.

sol cambell on 13:14 - Nov 30 with 1603 viewsDaiHo0p

Last I heard he was going to be a tory MP..
sol cambell on 14:01 - Nov 30 with 1559 viewsloftboy

Weird. How many managers are a little bit weird but when it's not a black player, it gets brushed under the carpet as slighty eccentric? Clough was weird, Ian Holloway too. Look at Mourinho the self proclaimed "Special One"

Good black players in England shirts = abuse and an almost subconscious like obsession with every negative aspect what the media would have you believe about their character and it seems to get lapped up, it really is quite sad.

Ashley Cole
John Barnes
Sol Campbell
Andy Cole
Raheem Sterling

Agree with all of those except Ashley Cole who is a genuine cûnt

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

sol cambell on 14:19 - Nov 30 with 1536 viewsBrianMcCarthy

sol cambell on 13:14 - Nov 30 by DaiHo0p

Last I heard he was going to be a tory MP..

I'd forgotten that.

sol cambell on 15:21 - Nov 30 with 1468 viewskensalriser

Good player? Yes.

Victim of racism? Likely.

A picnic in perpetual search of a sandwich? Definitely.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

sol cambell on 18:57 - Nov 30 with 1407 viewsWren67

Well I'll be dammed. Ashley Cole is Black!

I thought he was JTs mate!

Good luck Sol Campbell.
sol cambell on 00:59 - Dec 1 with 1331 viewsLazyFan

Sol was an awesome player.
A massive part of that 2004 Arsenal Invincibles team.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invincibles_(football)#Formation

Also in the PFA team of that year too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003%E2%80%9304_FA_Premier_League#PFA_Team_of_the_

He never captained England which is a disgrace and shows there "allegedly" was or still is racism in the FA.

Also, he is "allegedly" a bit weird.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

sol cambell on 03:07 - Dec 1 with 1311 viewstimcocking

sol cambell on 10:48 - Nov 30 by MrSheen

I can't help thinking that if he'd gone from Spurs to Inter instead of Arsenal, he'd get more credit, despite the fact that the Arsenal team he joined was one of the best club sides ever. Like Sterling and Liverpool, having a significant group of fans baying for your blood does taint how the rest of the country sees you. How many on here would have an honest view of John Terry the player?
I think his one game at Notts County after signing a five year contract might have put a few lower league clubs off him, though.

Quite right. He made his bed, now he doesn't want to lie in it. To leave Spurs for Arsenal was unforgivable and he deserves to be hated by the Spurs fans. He strikes me as having a chip on his shoulder about it, but he's only got himself to blame. He could have gone to any team in the world apart from Arsenal and retained his bond with Spurs, but he chose to betray them.

And i don't think anybody in England gives a flying fcuk what colour he or anybody else is. Or only the media and the morons. Just so untrue to suggest he can't find a job because he's black. It's because he's weird.

Have to say, i watched a Frank Lampard interview the other day, liked it a lot.
sol cambell on 03:14 - Dec 1 with 1308 viewstimcocking

Ashley Cole
John Barnes
Sol Campbell
Andy Cole
Raheem Sterling

What a fcuking load of absolute bollox.
sol cambell on 08:34 - Dec 1 with 1269 viewsdistortR

Ashley Cole
John Barnes
Sol Campbell
Andy Cole
Raheem Sterling

i was responding to a question about Sol Cambell, not Tony Adams, so don't throw that at me.

FWIW I was worried about how Holloway would deal with stress when he came back, and it was talked about on this board.
sol cambell on 09:35 - Dec 1 with 1222 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

sol cambell on 10:05 - Nov 30 by Antti_Heinola

'have to be good when they get the chance'

they have to be exceptional, more like. Terrible white managers get chance after chance after chance. See Bryan Robson. See Peter Reid. See Mark Hughes!

Of course race is a big part of it. Campbell has offered to manage for nothing even as low as non league and not been picked up. If people say 'it's because he's weird' explain Joey Barton. Explain Martin freaking Allen!

You know the more I think it about the more I struggle to think of a manager that is'nt a bit weird.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

sol cambell on 11:15 - Dec 1 with 1183 viewsDiscodroids

Sol Campbell went to the same junior and secondary school as me in a crumbling flat pack pisshouse strontium dog area of east london, Plaistow, where going to school in the late 70's and early 80's was like playing Rollerball everyday.

He may well be a prat with a bigger ego than a bloated 1970's prog rock god playing neo- lithic Peruvian Jazz to his fish on his Highland salmon Farm but he's Done well for himself through Will and hunger. Good on him.

".... You are the... Duke of New York... You're A-Number One!".

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024