Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anthems 17:24 - Jun 11 with 38250 views1mark1

Listening to the French last night and the Welsh "Land of My fathers" this afternoon, makes me think about national anthems , whose got a good one and who hasn't.

I name France and Wales has two that are in my opinion brilliant when blasted out. Amazing to hear the Welsh sing theirs today.
I name ours, as a in my opinion a bloody awful one, due to it not being about our country but a song about a something that doesn't exist, in my opinion, saving a thing that should not exist in my opinion. Now when we have something like Jerususlam as our English anthem that will be much better and something I will gladly join in with.

What do others think?

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Anthems on 10:08 - Jun 15 with 2028 viewsTVOS1907

Anthems on 09:28 - Jun 15 by DiddyDave

Well go on then,name one,an English tradition. I can only think of fish and chips,pissing down rain,Blackpool Tower and Coronation Street. Nothing you can really make into a national anthem. Or ask Elton John,he`ll come with something.

Is there anything about this country you like?

It must be wonderful living in such an ivory tower Down Under.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Anthems on 12:24 - Jun 15 with 1995 viewsD_Alien

Well go on then,name one,an English tradition. I can only think of fish and chips,pissing down rain,Blackpool Tower and Coronation Street. Nothing you can really make into a national anthem. Or ask Elton John,he`ll come with something.

I'll name one.

Exporting undesirables to far flung corners of the earth.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Anthems on 13:15 - Jun 15 with 1969 viewsKenBoon

I think you're New Zealand (Lamb and people thinking you're Australian?) but Australia's national anthem has the absolute worst lyrics. Sounds like a mission statement for a solicitors.
Anthems on 14:05 - Jun 15 with 1951 viewspioneer

Anthems on 20:50 - Jun 13 by finberty

Agreed - the Russian one is the most stirring of all the national anthems IMHO for the tune alone. Not sure (or care) what the words are or what they mean.

The best sung one has to the Welsh one when at the Millennium ahead of the rugby.

Anybody who tuned in on Saturday night might have heard the Russian anthem - marginally below the din of English whistles and jeers that accompanied it.

The words to the russian anthem have been changed several times in accordance with the changing political regiemes. Lenin had the Internationale as the anthem but Stalin wanted something to satisfy his ego so had the 'new, anthm set to words about him! but there have been about three different versions since his demise.

I think part of the problem with GSTQ is neither the words or the tune are inspiring.
Anthems on 14:38 - Jun 15 with 1933 viewsSalwaDale

Anthems on 12:24 - Jun 15 by D_Alien

I'll name one.

Exporting undesirables to far flung corners of the earth.

As an expat (immigrant) I could be offended by that. As a mathematician I'm definitely offended about the earth having corners. (Winky smiley face so everyone realises this post is in jest)

TBBT

Anthems on 16:14 - Jun 15 with 1888 viewsD_Alien

Anthems on 14:38 - Jun 15 by SalwaDale

As an expat (immigrant) I could be offended by that. As a mathematician I'm definitely offended about the earth having corners. (Winky smiley face so everyone realises this post is in jest)

I'd expect you, as an export/expat, to at least have cornered the market in mathematicians in Salwa

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Anthems on 21:16 - Jun 15 with 1820 viewsnordenblue

Anthems on 10:08 - Jun 15 by TVOS1907

Is there anything about this country you like?

It must be wonderful living in such an ivory tower Down Under.

He's welcome to it,I wouldn't live there if I was given a house thanks
Anthems on 00:43 - Jun 16 with 1776 viewsDiddyDave

Ha ha,you fellas fall for it every time. Just fooking joking you know. Yes the Aussie anthem is bloody dirge as well,as is the Kiwi one,you wouldn`t catch me miming the words for either. But that`s my point,they`re all shite.
Login to get fewer ads

Anthems on 05:56 - Jun 16 with 1759 viewsTalkingSutty

Anthems on 00:43 - Jun 16 by DiddyDave

Ha ha,you fellas fall for it every time. Just fooking joking you know. Yes the Aussie anthem is bloody dirge as well,as is the Kiwi one,you wouldn`t catch me miming the words for either. But that`s my point,they`re all shite.

True. I'm a traditionalist but God Save The Queen needs looking at I think, it doesn't gird the loins and prepare you for battle like a anthem should do. The Welsh and Italians efforts are the type of thing we need. Maybe when the Queen pops her clogs ( In the distant future) we should look at changing the anthem then.

What happens when Charles is King, do they just keep the same anthem and change the words to 'God save our gracious King'?
Anthems on 07:12 - Jun 16 with 1747 viewsTVOS1907

Anthems on 00:43 - Jun 16 by DiddyDave

Right.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Anthems on 12:13 - Jun 16 with 1688 viewsnordenblue

Anthems on 07:12 - Jun 16 by TVOS1907

Right.

You didn't "get" the joke or understand the humour in his first comment then?Very poor,it seems like nobody did tbf...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024