Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. 00:38 - Sep 4 with 16536 viewsbarabajagal

Without thinking, I told him that it was none of his business. With hindsight I could have said a number of reasons. However, I quickly offered this child-like, poetic and somewhat arrogant response, and it felt good. I know enough about the history and present times of certain other clubs to render me a fan of that team, and yet I despise them. Had my father's uncle taken him to Luton vs West Ham on Boxing Day, 1953, I may well have been a 'Hatters' fan, but fortunately for my brother and I, he didn't. Strangely, Luton are a team I despise too, purely on the basis of the treatment my brother and I received by the locals one pre-season friendly/cup game a decade and a half ago (I can't remember the exact day, score or purpose of the game, we've all been there).

So I wondered why people supported our club rather than another club, especially if like me, you've never lived anywhere near the club. I support the Hoops because of my father and his uncle, post-war. I wonder why others have an allegiance?
[Post edited 4 Sep 2014 1:19]
Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 22:00 - Sep 4 with 2131 viewskysersosaqpr

Came over from ardoyne when 5. Lived in hammersmith grove. Uncle jack followed a year later and started taking us to London GAA and QPR (his excuse to me old man who was strict GAA was it was QPR is the team London "oirish" supported). Loved the whole craic from pubs before & after (Goldhawk), the game, the fans. Still an Antrim GAA and Munster rugby fan. But feck me, nothing can beat Bobbys goal!
Well apart from McGuigan beating Pedrosa at Loftus - what a night!
All my kids have been brainwashed into rangers fans. My eldest died (accident) in 2000, aged 18 and his coffin had a qpr and Ireland shirt on it.
U rrrrsss!

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 22:07 - Sep 4 with 2124 viewsAgedR

My Dad took me to Fulham first but nothing clicked.

Then my Grandad took me down the Bush. Upper Loft, 2.0 v Cardiff, Stainrod.

The year, 1982. Always considered myself a lucky buggar for that immaculate timing.

What a great little club we are.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 22:09 - Sep 4 with 2121 viewskysersosaqpr

Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 22:07 - Sep 4 by AgedR

My Dad took me to Fulham first but nothing clicked.

Then my Grandad took me down the Bush. Upper Loft, 2.0 v Cardiff, Stainrod.

The year, 1982. Always considered myself a lucky buggar for that immaculate timing.

What a great little club we are.

Yep. The dogs proverbial b.llocks

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 00:37 - Sep 5 with 2054 viewsbarabajagal

Thank you everyone, I have been quite emotional reading those stories. Proof, if ever we needed it, that we have supported and still do support a wonderful club, that punches above it's weight decade after decade. I love that some of us are fourth gen supporters, while others fell in love because of the shirt, (Please take note TF, hoops done properly, are a great marketing tool), with a host of over reasons, each as valid as the next. After the Hull game, someone posted on a national broadsheet forum, that they were glad QPR lost because of our sxxx football and arrogant fans." They should read these posts, as the only thing I detect is fondness and loyalty, without an ounce of arrogance.

Next week, we play Man Ure, and I am not going to the game but I will watch in a pub on the south coast, and my brother and I will be surrounded by Home Counties Man Ure fans. At 12-1 Rangers do not seem to have a chance. However, I will watch, take the inevitable abuse from those who call themselves Man U, and win, lose or draw, I know I can leave with dignity intact.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2014 2:34]
Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 02:09 - Sep 5 with 2033 viewsPunteR

When I was about 7 my mate at school was QPR, a couple of my dads mates were QPR and I loved the kit. I used to look at my dads Daily Mail sports page and find out results and league positions and our name stood out in big bold capital letters..QPR! We was (still are) a top London club.
My first game was against Liverpool. Fenwick, Dawes, Feredy,Bannister were playing.
Stopped going to football in mid 90s,went raving instead, then got back into it at the Oldham playoff game 2003.
I lived in Richmond,had mates in Barnes,Roehampton,Putney area,so was sort of my local team...which was handy.
My first kit was the Guinness one except my dad bought a cheap one from a sports shop in shepherds bush that had the letters missing from Guinness that actually spelt Guin e s . I still support them because they're part of my DNA and now my kids love them.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 08:23 - Sep 5 with 1968 viewshoops_legend

I've always felt that you don't choose your club... The hoops choose you! Looking at these stories it holds true as many are fairly random occurences but something deep inside you knew it felt right..

When I was young... My dad took martin allens mums funeral.. We went round his house together with my brother and he grew fascinated by west ham... At this funeral was a young gentleman named bradley allen... I couldn't support the same team as my bro so qpr it was plus there was nothing better than looking at the newspaper and seeing qprs beautiful badge (not the current one)

Its been all love since then...
Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 08:46 - Sep 5 with 1950 viewsPommyhoop

I could so easily have been a Chelsea Fan. In fact I was (sort of).I must of been 7 or 8 and everyone at school in Hammersmith seemed to be Chelsea.They were still clinging onto their 'glamour club 'status and still had some kudos for beating the dirty hated Leeds in the 70 FA Cup.
I cant remember doing it but My Old man reconed the first time he brought me to Rangers v Chelsea at Loftus Rd everytime QPR were threatening Chelsea's goal I'd cover my eyes not wanting to look.
By the age of 9 I was Rangers through and through down to the Old Man (God rest him).
Up to the age of 9 I used to be pretty good at Irish Dancing.I won a fair few medals but nearly all of them were for the 'Two Hand ' with my Sister.She was f'cking ace at it .She either won or came second in The All Ireland once in Dublin( and that was the World Cup of 'The Dancing') .She was a real superstar.Cups and Shields coming out of her ears. This was way before Riverdance.
The Feis'were always on a Saturday so sometimes they'd clash with football.My Dad must of realised I was coming to the end of my dancing career and threw me a harsh choice one day. We had Chelsea at home coming up and with my Mum sitting there he said 'Right son its time to choose whats it going to be Football or the Irish Dancing.Easy choice I know but I looked at my Mum and could'nt say it and burst out crying..
My Old Man said 'Football it is then ''. The next season he bought me my first season ticket sitting between him and my Grandad in Elersleigh Rd for the magical 75,76 season.. Blessed and honoured to have been there for that season... Cheers Dad.!!

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 09:02 - Sep 5 with 1936 viewsPommyhoop

Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 13:16 - Sep 4 by enfieldargh

Eddie Grey...wow

we all used to play gripping our sleeves in our hands and trying to jink down the wings in an ape like stance

Remember shouting 'LORIMER' everytime we toe punted a shot .pen or free with all our might.

Login to get fewer ads

Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 10:45 - Sep 5 with 1897 viewsisawqpratwcity

dad to me to wcity to see qpr but they lost and it didn't stick. he also took me to to see the fools a couple of times (with cohen and haynes) and the @rse (with george eastham), the second time they got snotted by manure with charlton, law and a promising youngster named best.

dad supported qpr, as did his dad and three brothers, but i think he was trying to save me some grief. (by the same thinking, he could have shouted me a prostitute for my 16th birthday!)

no, what did it was 66-67, when my local club was shoving a pineapple up the rest of the third division with a laconic genius called marsh. by the league cup final day i was rusted on, and the win, and two following promotions, told me all the stars in the heaven had aligned with this choice.

this hubris was rewarded with immediate relegation, a lesson some recent converts may have learnt, too. that's qpr.

(oh, and also holland park comp, too, 68-70.)

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 11:02 - Sep 5 with 1886 viewsHayesender

My dad being from Camden Town was a massive arsenal fan and used to drag me and my brother down to Highbury on a regular basis late 70's early 80's, but I never quite caught the bug, unlike my older brother who is still an Arsenal s/t holder.

But growing up in vespan Rd you could hear the noise from Loftus Rd which fascinated me.

Then one day around 81/82 my old man decided to take me to watch QPR v Rotherham which finished 0-0 and I was hooked.

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 11:19 - Sep 5 with 1875 viewssmegma

In answer to the original question I would reply WHY NOT?
Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 11:31 - Sep 5 with 1863 viewsrrrspricey

My Grandad became a steward just after the war and took my dad who, in turn, inflicted the lifetime of pain on me when he took me to my first game at 4.

Never once deviated despite friend changing their allegences every season (early 70s so they were changing between Lids, Scum, Arse etc). I know i moan about being a fan of a club like ours, but i can't imagine being a fan of anyone else.
Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 11:40 - Sep 5 with 1856 viewsPommyhoop

First game was Rangers v Stoke..1973.. 3..3 Nice amount of goals for 1st match.
Cant remember a dicky bird but apparently El Tel scored from the spot..

Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 12:32 - Sep 5 with 1836 viewsQPunkR

Firstly, if someone asked me why I supported QPR I'd consider them to be a Sky fan. Seems obvious to me why I'd support 'em, they're my local team!
Having said that, it seems a fair few of us have joined the fold on account of the kit/blind good luck.
I'm West London bred (not born though - that was Madrid), and my mum's boyfriend was a fan and worked as a steward in the 80s and started taking me along with him. I hated having to wait inside the stadium for hours and hours before kickoff (which was the reason he eventually quit, they ended up trying to get the stewards to come in at like 10am for a 3pm kickoff!), but when the stadium filled up - wow! Hooked from my first game.

QPR - "shit but local"

Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 17:29 - Sep 5 with 1792 viewsBromleyR

My first game was at home to Cardiff in 1972 which I attended as a 6 year old with my Cardiff supporting Dad and brother and my other brother who supported Arsenal. We won 3 0. The kit, the result and the whole experience were completely seductive for me. There was no looking back.
I have 3 children and they have all been made to support Rangers
It was non negotiable. My youngest who is 9 did not see us win until his thirteenth game, the 2 1 win over Sheffield Wednesday last season. At least he has the Play Off Final now as a memory and witnessed his first Premier League win last Saturday.
Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 08:39 - Sep 6 with 1738 viewsYorkRanger

Born in Tooting. My Dad supported Charlton as a boy in the days when 60,000 used to go the Valley. He stopped going after his mum and dad died and lost his interest in football for a few years. Then when I was about 7 he made friends with a guy who had a brother who lived in Hammersmith. They had kids same age as me and my first game was Coventry at home in 1973 which we won 3-0 I think (still have the programme somewhere - the old checked front job).

The rest is history although we only went to games now and then until I was deemed old enough to go on my own (when I was about 14). Before that I also used to go to Plough Lane as I was allowed to go on my own as I could walk there.

Most of my schooling I was surrounded by Chelsea and some Palace fans (school in Streatham). Also the usual Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool and Leeds etc. I don't remember Man U being as popular then as they had a barren spell in the 70s.

Cup final season (82) I had my first season ticket and used to get the 49 bus from Tooting Bec to Shepherds Bush. Sometimes with a lad from school and sometimes with my Dad but often alone.

In latter years my two girls have travelled to games with me from York and they have had shirts, scarves etc although in truth probably did it for a day out and to be with Dad rather than a passion for it. Mrs York also came sometimes applying the "if you can't beat them join them" principle. All of us and my Dad (now 79) sat together at Wembley in May.

I now drag somemates from here down to London twice a year to see a match and for a day on the lash and meet my Dad and my brother in Law (a Rangers man from Harrow).

The truth is I have been to many, many games on my own. Usually driving a long way and mainly away games and I'm happy to go to the Rangers pub and have a beer and chat to like minded strangers, similarly in the ground, chat to people at the game etc.

The fact is it's in the blood and nothing can change that. Which is probably why I'm sat here writing half a life story at 8.30 on a Saturday morning.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2014 8:43]
Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 08:50 - Sep 6 with 1728 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 08:39 - Sep 6 by YorkRanger

Born in Tooting. My Dad supported Charlton as a boy in the days when 60,000 used to go the Valley. He stopped going after his mum and dad died and lost his interest in football for a few years. Then when I was about 7 he made friends with a guy who had a brother who lived in Hammersmith. They had kids same age as me and my first game was Coventry at home in 1973 which we won 3-0 I think (still have the programme somewhere - the old checked front job).

The rest is history although we only went to games now and then until I was deemed old enough to go on my own (when I was about 14). Before that I also used to go to Plough Lane as I was allowed to go on my own as I could walk there.

Most of my schooling I was surrounded by Chelsea and some Palace fans (school in Streatham). Also the usual Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool and Leeds etc. I don't remember Man U being as popular then as they had a barren spell in the 70s.

Cup final season (82) I had my first season ticket and used to get the 49 bus from Tooting Bec to Shepherds Bush. Sometimes with a lad from school and sometimes with my Dad but often alone.

In latter years my two girls have travelled to games with me from York and they have had shirts, scarves etc although in truth probably did it for a day out and to be with Dad rather than a passion for it. Mrs York also came sometimes applying the "if you can't beat them join them" principle. All of us and my Dad (now 79) sat together at Wembley in May.

I now drag somemates from here down to London twice a year to see a match and for a day on the lash and meet my Dad and my brother in Law (a Rangers man from Harrow).

The truth is I have been to many, many games on my own. Usually driving a long way and mainly away games and I'm happy to go to the Rangers pub and have a beer and chat to like minded strangers, similarly in the ground, chat to people at the game etc.

The fact is it's in the blood and nothing can change that. Which is probably why I'm sat here writing half a life story at 8.30 on a Saturday morning.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2014 8:43]

Wembley must have been a proud day for you, York. Touching story, and well told.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 13:10 - Sep 6 with 1695 viewsYorkRanger

Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 08:50 - Sep 6 by BrianMcCarthy

Wembley must have been a proud day for you, York. Touching story, and well told.

Thanks Brian, it was a fantastic day for everyone.
Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 16:43 - Sep 6 with 1679 viewsScarecrow

Born in queen charlotts hospital nr scrubs prison (no connection intended) brought up in North Kensington better known as Ladbroke Grove/Portobello Rosd. Old man god bless him took me out one Saturday to see a football match at a place called loftus road and we went in the LOFT end. Was he trying to groome me in life as a real Holigan? Any how some incidents in the LOFT excited me and then I just recall marshy, then Gerry,Bowles (the best hoops I have ever seen) to the present time. Due to various reasons don't have a season ticket no more but go when I can due to the benevolence of mates. Sometimes don't relate to the club anymore but just think we should cherish Tony Fernandez as he clearly loves our club. Back to the question, why QPR blame the old man but I love the club next to my family the result on Saturday either makes me very happy or in a deep mood of depression. My son also loves club and we love the Chelsea supporting brother in laws when we beat them, not when they beat us. Urs
m
Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 16:53 - Sep 6 with 1661 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 16:43 - Sep 6 by Scarecrow

Born in queen charlotts hospital nr scrubs prison (no connection intended) brought up in North Kensington better known as Ladbroke Grove/Portobello Rosd. Old man god bless him took me out one Saturday to see a football match at a place called loftus road and we went in the LOFT end. Was he trying to groome me in life as a real Holigan? Any how some incidents in the LOFT excited me and then I just recall marshy, then Gerry,Bowles (the best hoops I have ever seen) to the present time. Due to various reasons don't have a season ticket no more but go when I can due to the benevolence of mates. Sometimes don't relate to the club anymore but just think we should cherish Tony Fernandez as he clearly loves our club. Back to the question, why QPR blame the old man but I love the club next to my family the result on Saturday either makes me very happy or in a deep mood of depression. My son also loves club and we love the Chelsea supporting brother in laws when we beat them, not when they beat us. Urs
m

I know you wouldn't remember it at the time but the original Queen Charlottes maternity hospital was in Goldhawk Road opposite Stamford Brook station, so I'd say if you remember the players you mention you were born there or perhaps it was just plain Hammermith maternity on Ducane Rd and not the relocated one next to the Scrubs. It moved there in 1999.

This is not to pick holes, far from it. Great story.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2014 19:05]
Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 20:18 - Sep 6 with 1606 viewsScarecrow

Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 16:53 - Sep 6 by Sudbury_Hill_R

I know you wouldn't remember it at the time but the original Queen Charlottes maternity hospital was in Goldhawk Road opposite Stamford Brook station, so I'd say if you remember the players you mention you were born there or perhaps it was just plain Hammermith maternity on Ducane Rd and not the relocated one next to the Scrubs. It moved there in 1999.

This is not to pick holes, far from it. Great story.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2014 19:05]

SHR you are correct it was hammer smith hospital du cane road, not queen charlottes. Thanks for spotting my error
Somebody just asked me why I support Queen's Park Rangers. on 20:40 - Sep 6 with 1591 viewsTHEBUSH

No other team for me, born Du Cane Rd, lived in Caxton Rd just off the Bush Green and me old Dad took me to QPR when I was five years old.
Went to Christopher Wren school, learnt nothing, but still a QPR lunatic.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024