Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The English game. 16:56 - Aug 10 with 6030 viewsbeat_the_bishop

So out of 22 players on the field at Wembley today only 3 are English. I find this pretty unbelievable!

Everything the Premier League stands for is a joke. They are just a brand and the only thing they are interested in is the English pound not the English game.

I sat at the Dale yesterday with my dad and watched the lads take to the field. Yes we got beat, against a quality team and there is no shame in that. I walked away satisfied that I had witnessed young hungry lads giving it their all for the love of the game and a successful career. Allen is a local lad, 19 and playing against some fantastic players. Then you have Tanser who I have never watched before. Also 19 and playing against seasoned pro's who have played at Championship level. He played like he knew he was good enough. Like someone has told him he is good enough (Hill).
Add to the fold the likes of Lund and Bennett etc the squad is young. And you must give Hill and the board the credit for giving these lads a chance and showing some commitment to the cause at youth level. It's all too easy to go and sign players who have 'been there done that' and release 10-15 young lads every year into the big bad world for not being 'ready' or 'good enough' to play professional football.

Football is fine lines, and basically confidence is what can make or break you. How do you get confidence from playing in front of 150 friends and family in a reserve or under 21 game at Hyde United on a cold Tuesday night? Or you can play in front of 3,000 or sometimes 6/7,000 this year when the away end is full. I know what I would prefer to do!

These big clubs are ruining the talents of these young lads. I went to watch the City 'Elite' against Chelsea's equivalent this year at Etihad. Some fantastic talent on show but again at least half were foreign. I got talking to a lad called Evans who was on loan at Crewe last season. He said he absolutely loved it and he would rather sign a deal at Crewe and play, than play in an empty ground but can say he 'plays' for city.
He played against Sheff Utd at Bramall Lane a week or two before I spoke to him and he was still buzzing about the 3 points Crewe took from that game.

I think some of the lads who come through that system are suited to it. (Grimes) But lads like Raff who have come through at Liverpool need to go to clubs like ours. 90% of the time they will never look back!

I hear all the 'best league in the world' tripe come out of some of my mates mouths and I just think your as bad as the hierarchy that run the league. I'm about supporting your local club, I dread to think I am the one subsidising the fuel for Backary Sagna's chrome plated Lamborghini by purchasing a season ticket at City. Everything they stand for just annoys me. The money, the arrogance everything. I like to think I'm funding the fuel for Jack the Kitmans Ford Transit to ferry the kits and cones about.

The FA need to have a stern word, although they will happily line their pockets with money and pretend they give a sh*t about the national game every two years because England fail time and time again. Then just to add insult to injury they come up with the 'B team' idea which just complete backs up my argument. They don't give a monkeys about the football league. And to me it is the ultimate insult for them to try and shake up the pyramid when the answer lies much closer to home.

The Football League is what makes the English game special. It's the thousands of fans that wonder up and down the country watching all levels right down to Radcliffe Borough that make it special. It's our game and what we love. Why you would even try and disturb that is just ill educated and ignorant. I don't think it will happen, because it would upset too many people. Like me!

Sorry for the massive essay. But I don't know who else to vent my frustrations to other than people who probably have the same opinion because your Dale fans and we aren't blinkered.

Premier teams should be forced to field 6 English or atleast British players. It's a start, and something that can only really benefit the game than make it worse!

Anyway, I love the Dale. Proper football, proper club and a proper game of football guaranteed. I wouldn't change it for the world. If someone said to me you can have a season ticket at United/City for free I would still decline. I'd rather go and watch Bury/Oldham week in week out and that is a massive statement!
The English game. on 14:29 - Aug 11 with 1287 viewsdingdangblue

The English game. on 13:21 - Aug 11 by ColDale

£22 at Crewe next week. Ignoring those games where prices go up on the day, is this our most expensive league game we've ever played?

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/tickets-crewe-16.08.14-1819558.aspx?

Was Charlton away in 2012 £25 ?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

The English game. on 15:32 - Aug 11 with 1243 viewsChaffRAFC

Wasn't Hartlepool £26 a few years ago where people boycotted? Also, I seem to recall signing £23 to sit in a shed at Boundary Park.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

The English game. on 15:58 - Aug 11 with 1227 viewsnordenblue

The English game. on 14:29 - Aug 11 by dingdangblue

Was Charlton away in 2012 £25 ?

Sheff Weds was similar priced and Hartlepool was 25 quid I seem to remember, Crewe can whistle for my cash too then
The English game. on 17:55 - Aug 11 with 1186 viewsbeat_the_bishop

The cost is another issue I could discuss endlessly. It's is scandalous but as usual we just get on with it and the powers that be just keep on abusing that. Football is religion to many in this country and despite the cost the hardcore fans still manage to find a way. Credit were credit is due, I'm one of them to be fair. And deemed daft by my friends. They think me paying £18 a game sometimes twice a week (Tuesday games) to watch Rochdale is pathetic. Albeit best part of them haven't been in 6/7/8 years. I like to think the whole club since Hills arrival has been transformed and we are actually on the football map now , teams see us as a tough team and a tough place to come which is pleasing!

Back on topic... I had a discussion with my friend at the game on Saturday. We both came to the conclusion that we felt a little bit disheartened with regards to the transfer activity over the summer. Both alike would have liked a little bit more investment. BUT, if that means it pushes Allen, Tanser, Camps etc down the pecking order then shut the front door.
I want to see these lads do well, I'm a plumbing and gas engineer and I'd hate to think at the end of my apprenticeship my boss would employ a 'fully fledged' engineer ahead of me, how can I become an asset if I'm not given the chance? Nothing like being thrown in at the deep end. You either learn to swim very quickly or you drown. These lads have took to it like a duck to water and again, it's all down to a good education and confidence.

Football is fine lines, it's a cut throat industry and deep down I think us as fans are the worst for it. Results are what it's about, and obviously money. Good results equals more money. I think we are short of a talented winger, one with pace and direct. And a similar striker. Pace and direct.
Find these and we will be fine. Everytime Mendez got the ball on Saturday he faced our back line and wanted to run towards the net. It doesn't always work, but it's something else for them to think about!

I'm looking forward to the season. Peterborough are an outfit and we matched them apart from in front of goal. That said, they didn't open us up. It was more our sloppy play than their good that was our undoing. Unlucky but lesson learnt. I think we have the confidence and football brains within the team to do some damage to the 'lesser' teams. Especially at home.

Lastly, surely Diba must look at Allen, Tanser etc as a guide as what's to come to him. I've never watched the lad but surely, it will benefit him to stay, learn off Lillis and Collis. Two excellent role models and be involved in a real life set up. Playing the mans game. Or head down to Chelsea. I can see the lure, don't get me wrong. But a few seasons at the level never did Joe Hart any harm did it?

I wish I had the answers, but.. I really really enjoy the debate. My football knowledge alone out smarts the ignorant premier league fans. I'm yet to hear a valid argument/debate/answer to these questions from any of them. They just aren't on our level. Literally. And I'm glad we aren't on theirs!
The English game. on 19:02 - Aug 11 with 1128 views442Dale

The English game. on 17:55 - Aug 11 by beat_the_bishop

The cost is another issue I could discuss endlessly. It's is scandalous but as usual we just get on with it and the powers that be just keep on abusing that. Football is religion to many in this country and despite the cost the hardcore fans still manage to find a way. Credit were credit is due, I'm one of them to be fair. And deemed daft by my friends. They think me paying £18 a game sometimes twice a week (Tuesday games) to watch Rochdale is pathetic. Albeit best part of them haven't been in 6/7/8 years. I like to think the whole club since Hills arrival has been transformed and we are actually on the football map now , teams see us as a tough team and a tough place to come which is pleasing!

Back on topic... I had a discussion with my friend at the game on Saturday. We both came to the conclusion that we felt a little bit disheartened with regards to the transfer activity over the summer. Both alike would have liked a little bit more investment. BUT, if that means it pushes Allen, Tanser, Camps etc down the pecking order then shut the front door.
I want to see these lads do well, I'm a plumbing and gas engineer and I'd hate to think at the end of my apprenticeship my boss would employ a 'fully fledged' engineer ahead of me, how can I become an asset if I'm not given the chance? Nothing like being thrown in at the deep end. You either learn to swim very quickly or you drown. These lads have took to it like a duck to water and again, it's all down to a good education and confidence.

Football is fine lines, it's a cut throat industry and deep down I think us as fans are the worst for it. Results are what it's about, and obviously money. Good results equals more money. I think we are short of a talented winger, one with pace and direct. And a similar striker. Pace and direct.
Find these and we will be fine. Everytime Mendez got the ball on Saturday he faced our back line and wanted to run towards the net. It doesn't always work, but it's something else for them to think about!

I'm looking forward to the season. Peterborough are an outfit and we matched them apart from in front of goal. That said, they didn't open us up. It was more our sloppy play than their good that was our undoing. Unlucky but lesson learnt. I think we have the confidence and football brains within the team to do some damage to the 'lesser' teams. Especially at home.

Lastly, surely Diba must look at Allen, Tanser etc as a guide as what's to come to him. I've never watched the lad but surely, it will benefit him to stay, learn off Lillis and Collis. Two excellent role models and be involved in a real life set up. Playing the mans game. Or head down to Chelsea. I can see the lure, don't get me wrong. But a few seasons at the level never did Joe Hart any harm did it?

I wish I had the answers, but.. I really really enjoy the debate. My football knowledge alone out smarts the ignorant premier league fans. I'm yet to hear a valid argument/debate/answer to these questions from any of them. They just aren't on our level. Literally. And I'm glad we aren't on theirs!

More good points. Apart from the one about Joe Hart who is still conceding goals like the ones he did at Spotland in Nov. '05.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The English game. on 19:47 - Aug 11 with 1100 viewsbeat_the_bishop

The English game. on 19:02 - Aug 11 by 442Dale

More good points. Apart from the one about Joe Hart who is still conceding goals like the ones he did at Spotland in Nov. '05.

Haha! I will never forget Shrewsbury away when holt lobbed him with a header from the edge of the box?

And... Was he the keeper when holt also did his famous Tasmanian devil spin on the edge of the box and bagged it? Did we win 3-2? Or am
I getting mixed up?
The English game. on 19:55 - Aug 11 with 1089 viewsdingdangblue

The English game. on 19:47 - Aug 11 by beat_the_bishop

Haha! I will never forget Shrewsbury away when holt lobbed him with a header from the edge of the box?

And... Was he the keeper when holt also did his famous Tasmanian devil spin on the edge of the box and bagged it? Did we win 3-2? Or am
I getting mixed up?

The Holt spin was when we beat Macc 3-1 . Brilliant goal the like of which you rarely see - very unique.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

The English game. on 20:11 - Aug 11 with 1077 viewsChaffRAFC

The English game. on 19:55 - Aug 11 by dingdangblue

The Holt spin was when we beat Macc 3-1 . Brilliant goal the like of which you rarely see - very unique.

I spent the entire night trying to re-create that in the Litten Tree!

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Login to get fewer ads

The English game. on 20:31 - Aug 11 with 1054 viewsbeat_the_bishop

The English game. on 20:11 - Aug 11 by ChaffRAFC

I spent the entire night trying to re-create that in the Litten Tree!

I'm sure it got easier and easier as the night went on!
The English game. on 20:56 - Aug 11 with 1039 viewsTVOS1907

The English game. on 19:47 - Aug 11 by beat_the_bishop

I getting mixed up?

Holt's goal at Shrewsbury was a turn and low shot from an acute angle about 6 yards from goal!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024