Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One of our biggest problems... 17:39 - Mar 3 with 6203 viewsjruss1

As a fan base is the complete lack of perspective and context for any situation the club is in. People over re-act to single games in terms of how good a manager is, judge new signings after the same time spell etc

Perfectly seen this week. After the Napoli game, Garry Monk was the next Pep Guardiola,bringing back good ole total football to Swansea.

After Crystal Palace, he's no better than Nick Cusack.

You can't make that kind of stuff up. Some of the things aimed at him are ridiculous and it leads me thinking if....

A. Anyone watched the previous games

And more importantly...

B. Took the context of the situation into mind before passing a view point.

By that, I mean it was clear to everyone after 55 minutes yesterday we were gone in terms of fatigue. The games caught up with us and it was just a case of surviving. This isn't really a myth, proven fact that that teams struggle with the Thursday Sunday aspect, especially when they did exactly the same the week before.

What's barmy is Palace really didn't look like scoring. I know you can't predict things like that, but Vorm did nothing all game until he made the error. Not GM's fault, nor was it his fault Mike Dean gave a penalty when it was a clear free-kick.

We were 8 minutes away from a 'hard fought' win where we showed 'new steel grinding it out' it, and the age old 'we would have blown that under ML' argument. That usually follows every manager's departure. Instead we got people throwing toys out of the pram and dubbing GM a disaster. When the things that ultimately cost us the win were out of his control.

Everyone jumped down GM's throat about subs. Again, totally ignoring the logical though proess that there must have been perfectly good reasons why Bony and Ash were removed early. Two of the most important players in the side. Yet, twitter, which maybe the worst thing to ever happen to a fan base, got it's knickers in and twist with a flood of tears. What would the re-action had been if Vorm had been subbed earlier? Everyone would naturally assume there's an issue, same applies to Ash and Bony, yet this went over everyone's head and the information had to be spoon fed to hem afterwards. Or did people actually sit there and think GM removed his best players out of a choice?

This whole Monk's' only won one game' rubbish. Again, totally ignores the context of each game, the opposition etc. Draws at Stoke and home to Napoli are good results? But not if you group them in a 6 game run. Everyone lauded the performance at Liverpool because of how well we did against a top side, just 3 days after putting it all out against Napoli. But now that defeat counts against GM because it suits a view that he isn't doing a good job.

Of course, it's not perfect. I could question why Lita came on instead of Emnes etc That's been done a death. Possibly bad decisions need to be questioned. But does it have to be 'GM is now fooking useless' ? Can't we just calm down and no go to extremes every single time a game doesn't go our way?

One of our biggest problems... on 13:02 - Mar 4 with 1487 viewsBrynmill_Jack

One of our biggest problems... on 13:00 - Mar 4 by MattG

Can't agree with that, Doc. Walking out at full time, I was as gutted as anyone and thought the same but with the benefit of hindsight and taking into account things like the sickness issue and the Mike Dean factor, it doesn't feel anything like as bad.

Too true Emma ( )

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

One of our biggest problems... on 13:22 - Mar 4 with 1458 viewsJokeren1943

Shiiiite, I thought fans were all about feelings and no reason.
One of our biggest problems... on 13:29 - Mar 4 with 1445 viewsRancid

I still think we're missing that extra goalscorer besides Bony.JDG has stepped up to the mark well but we can't go on relying on Bony to score us the goals to keep us competitive.Boring I know but we need Miguel back in the AM role and making his runs into the box.

We'd have beaten Napoli and Palace if we had such a player on the pitch.
One of our biggest problems... on 14:15 - Mar 4 with 1405 viewsDavillin

I find it insensitive and annoying when posters make comparisons between Monk and Nick Cusack. In my opinion, they have no concept of reality.

First, Cusack was handed a depleted side of 4th division players and kicked into a relegation battle. The other elements of his undertaking - turmoil at the club, zero money, etc. - made his job even harder. There were those [I was among them and said so] who thought he deserved praise for taking the job on and doing his best for the club. There were those who kept the faith with Swansea City Football Club and sat or stood to support the team, with attendance figures in the very low thousands.

Second, Monk was handed an injury-depleted side of Premier League players with an initial fixture list that would be daunting for any manager - ANY manager - with half a brain. The Premier League is a tough place to be. Look at the history of sacked managers - and some "big names" at that - who couldn't cut it.

In my opinion, Monk deserves praise also for taking the job on and doing his best for the club.

I'm with the posters who agreed above with the OP. Thanks to all of you.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

One of our biggest problems... on 15:35 - Mar 4 with 1380 viewscoolair

One of our biggest problems... on 18:36 - Mar 3 by MattG

Great OP - sums up my thoughts really well.

On paper, a point yesterday looks like 2 points dropped but, in context, it's really not. Since Monk took over, we've played 4 PL games, 2 EL games and an FA Cup game - that's 7 games in the space of 4 weeks, 3 of which were against real top teams (Liverpool and Napoli) where we gave a fantastic account of ourselves. Of the others, 1 was at a ground where we've never won (Stoke), 1 was against a team we haven't beaten since getting into the PL (Everton) and 1 was a local derby where anything can happen.

We've arguably not been outplayed in any of those games - even the "reserves" put on a decent show at Everton until we gifted them the second goal and yesterday Palace barely threatened and were handed a draw by a combination of poor defensive organisation and questionable refereeing.

Aside from the second half last night, we've looked back to somewhere near our best and for someone (in another thread) to suggest that the performance yesterday was somehow worse than the abject display against West Ham a little over a month ago is, frankly, bonkers. Monk is nowhere near the finished article but he should get everyone's support at least until the end of the season.

I can not believe what I read.

I just joined the forum and as everybody can see and read I'm not english. But I think I have a different look at things than the die hard fans of the club.

Let's start with the Liverpool game. If that had been in Germany, Italy or Spain Swansea would never have seen a goal. Leading 2-0 after 20 minutes the opponents would have kept the ball to the self and never allowed what happen. That is not the british way, so Liverpool kept on trying and let Swansea back in the game. An even more stupid penalty from Skrtel gave them a chance.

The first Napoli game Swansea played very well, but just saw how Italian defence works. 41 shots at goal and no succes. Napoli let them try when they knew it was safe.

The second Napoli game should never have been a problem for the italians. I Higuain had done his job it would have been Napoli 3 Swansea 0 within 25 minutes.

He didn't so I turned out to be a little exciting, but the result was never in danger, just a matter of time.

And now just give it to me I can take it
One of our biggest problems... on 15:45 - Mar 4 with 1376 viewsgoontheswans

Hopefully people are starting to realise, it's not as easy as go out there play with passion, watch a dvd of the rise and fall of swansea city and lita is going to score hat trick in the premiership. That maybe it was tactically astute managers each time signing more technically gifted players the reason for swanseas success. So when huw Jenkins next talks about not wanting to hear talk of leagues within leagues. Whilst at the same time signing championship players and saying he won't spend 13 million again on a player. People won't let it inflate their expectations to ridiculous levels. Otherwise we will be changing managers every 3 months.
One of our biggest problems... on 16:31 - Mar 4 with 1348 viewsmonmouth

One of our biggest problems... on 15:35 - Mar 4 by coolair

I just joined the forum and as everybody can see and read I'm not english. But I think I have a different look at things than the die hard fans of the club.

Let's start with the Liverpool game. If that had been in Germany, Italy or Spain Swansea would never have seen a goal. Leading 2-0 after 20 minutes the opponents would have kept the ball to the self and never allowed what happen. That is not the british way, so Liverpool kept on trying and let Swansea back in the game. An even more stupid penalty from Skrtel gave them a chance.

The first Napoli game Swansea played very well, but just saw how Italian defence works. 41 shots at goal and no succes. Napoli let them try when they knew it was safe.

The second Napoli game should never have been a problem for the italians. I Higuain had done his job it would have been Napoli 3 Swansea 0 within 25 minutes.

He didn't so I turned out to be a little exciting, but the result was never in danger, just a matter of time.

Actually, it's not worth a response.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

One of our biggest problems... on 17:55 - Mar 4 with 1308 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

One of our biggest problems... on 15:35 - Mar 4 by coolair

Welcome to the forum. You wont fit in here because you are not blinded by your love of Garry Monk. Expect to be shot down with every statement you make, only to be proven right a couple of weeks later.

I look forward to reading more of your unbiased views on our concerning situation. You're one of the few on this forum who speaks sense.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Login to get fewer ads

One of our biggest problems... on 21:30 - Mar 4 with 1270 viewsDavillin

One of our biggest problems... on 17:55 - Mar 4 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Welcome to the forum. You wont fit in here because you are not blinded by your love of Garry Monk. Expect to be shot down with every statement you make, only to be proven right a couple of weeks later.

I look forward to reading more of your unbiased views on our concerning situation. You're one of the few on this forum who speaks sense.

What? That post was "speaking sense"? As someone posted above, the OP is not worth a response, but your post is.

He made three major points, all of them based on conjecture and biased misinterpretations, and none of them worth a pin.

If he can "expect to be shot down with every statement [he makes]," it will be, if this one is a fair example of what will come, because they'll be worthless.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

One of our biggest problems... on 21:48 - Mar 4 with 1255 viewsJoe_bradshaw

One of our biggest problems... on 14:15 - Mar 4 by Davillin

I find it insensitive and annoying when posters make comparisons between Monk and Nick Cusack. In my opinion, they have no concept of reality.

First, Cusack was handed a depleted side of 4th division players and kicked into a relegation battle. The other elements of his undertaking - turmoil at the club, zero money, etc. - made his job even harder. There were those [I was among them and said so] who thought he deserved praise for taking the job on and doing his best for the club. There were those who kept the faith with Swansea City Football Club and sat or stood to support the team, with attendance figures in the very low thousands.

Second, Monk was handed an injury-depleted side of Premier League players with an initial fixture list that would be daunting for any manager - ANY manager - with half a brain. The Premier League is a tough place to be. Look at the history of sacked managers - and some "big names" at that - who couldn't cut it.

In my opinion, Monk deserves praise also for taking the job on and doing his best for the club.

Agree Dav.

It grates with me when Nick Cusack is dismissed as one of the worst managers we ever had without a thought for the circumstances in which he took on a thankless task. When Brian Flynn took over he quickly went to the board and told them that unless they increased the playing budget to enable him to bring in loanees such as Martinez we would be relegated without doubt. Cusack was a rookie manager in desperate circumstances who was given no money which meant he was fighting with both hands tied behind his back. Other aspects of Cusack's response to the crisis make him one of Swansea City's all time heroes as far as I am concerned.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

One of our biggest problems... on 22:44 - Mar 4 with 1212 viewsSwanseajill

One of our biggest problems... on 21:48 - Mar 4 by Joe_bradshaw

Agree Dav.

It grates with me when Nick Cusack is dismissed as one of the worst managers we ever had without a thought for the circumstances in which he took on a thankless task. When Brian Flynn took over he quickly went to the board and told them that unless they increased the playing budget to enable him to bring in loanees such as Martinez we would be relegated without doubt. Cusack was a rookie manager in desperate circumstances who was given no money which meant he was fighting with both hands tied behind his back. Other aspects of Cusack's response to the crisis make him one of Swansea City's all time heroes as far as I am concerned.

JRuss,You were a sensible young lad when we first met, I can tell by your OP that you've grown into a sensible young man.
Very good post from someone who's seen us develope into the great club that we deserve to have.
One of our biggest problems... on 22:54 - Mar 4 with 1201 viewsMrSwerve

Some people will never be happy or satisfied until we are a top prem club.

Also, some people will never be unhappy or disappointed until we are back in league two again.

Finding the balance between the two is key.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

One of our biggest problems... on 23:10 - Mar 4 with 1190 viewsmorningstar

I agree with you jruss. Unfortunately the only mistake you made was in your 3rd and 4th words of your post ie: fan and base or fan base as you posted. It may come as a complete shock to you all on here, but your views are that of a very small minority even in this day and age of the WWW! I speak too many jacks on a daily basis who have supported the club through thick and thin, but when you mention planetswans to them they haven't a clue what I'm talking about, and they certainly hold different views too many on here. So keep it as a planetswans perspective and not the fan base a s a whole and you'll do fine son!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

One of our biggest problems... on 10:17 - Mar 5 with 1125 viewsCaptain_Sham

One of our biggest problems... on 23:10 - Mar 4 by morningstar

I agree with you jruss. Unfortunately the only mistake you made was in your 3rd and 4th words of your post ie: fan and base or fan base as you posted. It may come as a complete shock to you all on here, but your views are that of a very small minority even in this day and age of the WWW! I speak too many jacks on a daily basis who have supported the club through thick and thin, but when you mention planetswans to them they haven't a clue what I'm talking about, and they certainly hold different views too many on here. So keep it as a planetswans perspective and not the fan base a s a whole and you'll do fine son!

funny that, every single jack i know has heard of planetswans.

Its just a ride.

One of our biggest problems... on 10:33 - Mar 5 with 1115 viewsgetcarter

One of our biggest problems... on 14:15 - Mar 4 by Davillin

Totally agree, Nick Cusack played a huge part in where we are today.
Garry Monk has been superb and 100% with the OP.
One of our biggest problems... on 11:05 - Mar 5 with 1032 viewshazdazmaz

Poll: Why are 90% of the 'fans' that use this site patronising idiots?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024