Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EU Referendum 19:21 - Jan 23 with 2725 viewsderbyhoop

After this morning's speech:-
Cameron did not spell out what powers he would like to see the UK take back as part of a new settlement, or what would happen if the negotiations did not go his way.

What powers should we try to bring back to the UK?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

EU Referendum on 19:30 - Jan 23 with 1483 viewsJuzzie

Farming and industry.
I used to go camping up on the same farm in Yorkshire for many years. The people there were brilliant.

The farm owner said the farms in this country can sustain the country, and I believe him. They had the lot.... wheat, potatoes, pigs, sheep, cows, chickens, goats etc etc. By the time the EU had squeezed the life out of the farm they just about had one field left that they were ALLOWED to produce from. Most of the dairy products and animals were long gone.

immigration will be a key issue too. I remember going out with a Polish girl back in 2003 just before they opened the borders fully and the government stated strongly there would be no more than about 35,000 a year coming over. She laughed and said we'll be getting that per month. That's exactly what happened and it took the current government to admit that the prediction the previous government made was so out of touch with reality.

Same with those convicted, send them back. Why sure they have it cushy here while the victim has to pick up the pieces of their life.

Although probably rare cases, it has been reported that immigrants admitted to doing the crime on purpose as it gave them free accommodation, food and education (learning English properly) for the few years they are in jail while the victim (in one case, a woman was raped) will suffer for the rest of their life.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
EU Referendum on 19:30 - Jan 23 with 1480 viewsHayesender

Power to control our borders, before we sink under the weight of Bulgarians and Romanians

Poll: Shamima Beghum

EU Referendum on 19:33 - Jan 23 with 1476 viewsCanadaRanger

Austin Powers...?

OK, on a more serious note (and we have the same problems here):
- fewer restrictions on deportation of non-EU criminals
- ability to return EU nationals convicted of serious crime and serving prison sentences of more than two years to their country of origin to serve the remainder of their time
- reduce bureaucracy for small farms serving local markets.
EU Referendum on 19:45 - Jan 23 with 1448 viewsTHEBUSH

The real referendum will be the next election, vote Labour or Conservative ?
EU Referendum on 19:54 - Jan 23 with 1432 viewscheeseydane

In recent surveys, 77 % of the French, and 80 % Germans wanted us out.

Nice to be wanted.

Technology advances, unfortunately humans do not.

EU Referendum on 20:03 - Jan 23 with 1421 viewsHayesender

EU Referendum on 19:45 - Jan 23 by THEBUSH

The real referendum will be the next election, vote Labour or Conservative ?

What a choice

Poll: Shamima Beghum

EU Referendum on 20:06 - Jan 23 with 1415 viewsTHEBUSH

EU Referendum on 19:54 - Jan 23 by cheeseydane

In recent surveys, 77 % of the French, and 80 % Germans wanted us out.

Nice to be wanted.

One reason why we should stay in, just to annoy them
EU Referendum on 20:28 - Jan 23 with 1381 viewsBromleyHoop

There is a huge movement towards local produce and sustainability for a reason in the UK. As has been stated earlier in this thread, British Farms can produce far more and we should be looking towards being far more self sufficient. This is especially relevant during this time of economic hardship.

Being dictated to by a distant colossus of a beaurocracy that does not have Britian best interests at heart is not the way forward.

Smaller is beautiful.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Login to get fewer ads

EU Referendum on 20:35 - Jan 23 with 1373 viewsloftboy

Rip up the human rights bill and re-write it so it doesn't benefit criminals, or people looking to make a quick fortune.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

EU Referendum on 20:37 - Jan 23 with 1368 viewsTHEBUSH

EU Referendum on 20:28 - Jan 23 by BromleyHoop

There is a huge movement towards local produce and sustainability for a reason in the UK. As has been stated earlier in this thread, British Farms can produce far more and we should be looking towards being far more self sufficient. This is especially relevant during this time of economic hardship.

Being dictated to by a distant colossus of a beaurocracy that does not have Britian best interests at heart is not the way forward.

Smaller is beautiful.

Whose being dictated to ?
EU Referendum on 20:41 - Jan 23 with 1354 viewsBromleyHoop

EU Referendum on 20:37 - Jan 23 by THEBUSH

Whose being dictated to ?

Farmers and Fisherman.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

EU Referendum on 20:43 - Jan 23 with 1349 viewsTHEBUSH

EU Referendum on 20:41 - Jan 23 by BromleyHoop

Farmers and Fisherman.

How ?
EU Referendum on 20:51 - Jan 23 with 1321 viewssexton

EU Referendum on 20:35 - Jan 23 by loftboy

Rip up the human rights bill and re-write it so it doesn't benefit criminals, or people looking to make a quick fortune.

Nothing to do with the EU.
EU Referendum on 20:52 - Jan 23 with 1317 viewsbaz_qpr

He wont be able to negotiate anything so it will be a straight in or out. The large manufacturers / industries and the companies headquartered here will threaten to up and leave, people will vote for their jobs and the ins will win it by a whisker.

The alternative is that the outs win, major industry will move away, and you can bet your life they will make it as difficult for us as possible to deter anyone else thinking they can either up or leave or use it as a threat to renegotiate the bits that dont suit them. Whichever way you fall on the argument the impact for the country as a whole for the next 5-7 years before it will actually happen will be negative at a time when the last thing we want is businesses not willing to invest.

It will win Cameron the next election for certain, however the result will either destroy the conservative party or destroy the economy.
EU Referendum on 20:57 - Jan 23 with 1308 viewsCanadaRanger

EU Referendum on 20:43 - Jan 23 by THEBUSH

How ?

Brussels insists farmers plant the fish head first?
EU Referendum on 21:04 - Jan 23 with 1293 viewsderbyhoop

1. The European Arrest Warrant allows for the speedy extradition of EU nationals back to their own country for trial where the max penalty exceeds 12 months or, if already convicted, a term over 4 months
2. Deportation of foreign prisoners is already a function of the UK Border Agency, so it is already in our control
3. The CAP was designed to encourage food production by susbsidising farming that would otherwise be uneconomic. I've seen it from the other side, where sheep farmers could not make a living wage without CAP subsidies. In the 70s and 80s Overproduction in certain products led to regulations that effectively stopped food production on many large farms. It has been continually amended over time and continues to be so. I suspect we could do more on a pan European level than as a nation state. But I'm open to challenge on that.
4. Free movement of labour is a fundamental tenet of the EU. If we want to be part of a single market, we have to accept free movement. When Romania and Bulgaria joined, that right was suspended for 2 (?) years. I can't complain, as I'm currently working in Ireland alongside French and Spanish colleages. Ireland has current demand in my field, which wasn't the case in the UK for much of last year.
5. The European Convention on Human Rights was signed in 1950, i.e before the EEC was founded. 47 countries subscribe to it.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

EU Referendum on 21:08 - Jan 23 with 1286 viewsloftboy

EU Referendum on 20:51 - Jan 23 by sexton

Nothing to do with the EU.

So why when someone thinks their rights have been violated do they go to the European court of human rights? Our country's laws should be enforceable without outside interference from country's our grandparents and in some cases parents sacrificed their lives for.
Anyone see on the news last night Muslim vigilantes going around whitechapel stopping people from bringing alcohol into the area as its" a Muslim area"

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

EU Referendum on 21:15 - Jan 23 with 1272 viewsCharlie1

What's so wrong with the current arrangement? It's not perfect but does dipping our toes help us? I'm not sure out is such a good idea. Heart out head in.

2:59 baby!

EU Referendum on 21:18 - Jan 23 with 1263 viewsWatford_Ranger

In the EFTA but out the EU? Probably not feasible in reality but seems the best of both worlds or at least as good as it can be.
EU Referendum on 21:20 - Jan 23 with 1257 viewsTGRRRSSS

This country cannot sustain the sheer volume of people coming into this country either in terms of jobs, housing school places etc.
We all know that, going out of the EU now however might be shutting the door after the horse has bolted.
No idea the answer but freedom of movement can be a 2 way thing, but many people who went abroad to Spain and the like are now coming home, and in some cases (like parts of France) now suffering xenophobic attacks from locals who blame them for pushing up living costs and price of houses etc in their own country.
Whilst this is a relatively small number it's on the rise it would seem.
EU Referendum on 21:21 - Jan 23 with 1257 viewsCiderwithRsie

EU Referendum on 20:28 - Jan 23 by BromleyHoop

Smaller is beautiful.

Plenty wrong with the EU, especially the CAP, but British farmers have been dictated to by bureaucracy since 1939. As it happens, the result was a massive increase in productivity.

Its possible that the nationality of the dictators will change if we pull out but the principle will be the same. Near to me British planners - sod all EU input - have sanctioned building an un-needed motorway service station on acres of the best agricultural land in the UK. They may even be right as far as wider economic issues go but I can tell you that the issue of loss of food production was not even considered

I strongly doubt British agriculture could feed this country - it couldn't in the war when the population was one third the size and although productivity has gone up I don't think its tripled. That's to meet the minimum dietary requirements of rationing, mind, not the amount of food we eat today. Margarine rationing, anyone?

Straying off topic, but food security is going to be a massive issue for us one day.
EU Referendum on 21:22 - Jan 23 with 1253 viewsTGRRRSSS

EU Referendum on 21:21 - Jan 23 by CiderwithRsie

Plenty wrong with the EU, especially the CAP, but British farmers have been dictated to by bureaucracy since 1939. As it happens, the result was a massive increase in productivity.

Its possible that the nationality of the dictators will change if we pull out but the principle will be the same. Near to me British planners - sod all EU input - have sanctioned building an un-needed motorway service station on acres of the best agricultural land in the UK. They may even be right as far as wider economic issues go but I can tell you that the issue of loss of food production was not even considered

I strongly doubt British agriculture could feed this country - it couldn't in the war when the population was one third the size and although productivity has gone up I don't think its tripled. That's to meet the minimum dietary requirements of rationing, mind, not the amount of food we eat today. Margarine rationing, anyone?

Straying off topic, but food security is going to be a massive issue for us one day.

Why do you think the Yanks are buying up every food distribution company you can think of around the world....
EU Referendum on 21:28 - Jan 23 with 1243 viewsderbyhoop

EU Referendum on 21:18 - Jan 23 by Watford_Ranger

In the EFTA but out the EU? Probably not feasible in reality but seems the best of both worlds or at least as good as it can be.

Norway has implemented 75-80% of EU regulations in order to obtain preferential trading status. Their ability to influence those laws is ZERO.

Approx 50% of our export trade is with the other EU countries. About 5m people depend on EU exports. If we pull out, I would conservatively estimate that 5% of that trade would be ended within 3 years. Translated into loss of employment that would add 250,000 to the jobless total. A price worth paying?

EU Referendum on 21:32 - Jan 23 with 1238 viewsCiderwithRsie

EU Referendum on 21:22 - Jan 23 by TGRRRSSS

Why do you think the Yanks are buying up every food distribution company you can think of around the world....

Vast majority of all food production is already controlled by about 4 big US-based commodity firms
EU Referendum on 21:34 - Jan 23 with 1235 viewsTGRRRSSS

My sis works for Grain Corp in Aus a Yank company trying to take over them as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024