Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin 09:10 - Oct 22 with 1130 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/63178/

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 09:45 - Oct 22 with 1024 viewssaintwizzler

I see no point in changing manager for someone worse.
We did this with Jones who was an inferior manager to his predecessor but the plus side was he wanted to be at the club.

Moyes or Potter have valuable PL experience and would be welcome.
Employing someone to rescue the sinking ship who has never managed in the top flight is pointless.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 10:15 - Oct 22 with 961 viewsgrumpy

Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 09:45 - Oct 22 by saintwizzler

We did this with Jones who was an inferior manager to his predecessor but the plus side was he wanted to be at the club.

Employing someone to rescue the sinking ship who has never managed in the top flight is pointless.

He who hesitates is lost. Cato Tragedy.
Too late.☹️
[Post edited 22 Oct 10:19]
Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 10:47 - Oct 22 with 888 viewsDorsetIan

Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 09:45 - Oct 22 by saintwizzler

There's no point swapping a manager for someone worse but this shouldn't drive the decision to stick or twist with the current manager.

Rarely (if ever) is a current manager sacked just because the board think that there is someone better out there. If performances are OK, they are going to stick with what they have. That's just how it works.

So it should work the other way too, if a manager is failing, the fact that someone else might fail too shouldn't be reason to stick with the failing manager. He should be sacked and then it's up to the board to find someone better.

Granted this board has a poor recent track record of appointments but I don't think that matters. We can only hope that they will do better next time and if they don't then the new one can go too.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 11:20 - Oct 22 with 839 viewssaintwizzler

Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 10:47 - Oct 22 by DorsetIan

There's no point swapping a manager for someone worse but this shouldn't drive the decision to stick or twist with the current manager.

Rarely (if ever) is a current manager sacked just because the board think that there is someone better out there. If performances are OK, they are going to stick with what they have. That's just how it works.

So it should work the other way too, if a manager is failing, the fact that someone else might fail too shouldn't be reason to stick with the failing manager. He should be sacked and then it's up to the board to find someone better.

Granted this board has a poor recent track record of appointments but I don't think that matters. We can only hope that they will do better next time and if they don't then the new one can go too.

Whoever comes in will still have the same players so it’s vital it’s someone who knows what they are doing.
Russell Martin can blame who he likes but he should of spotted the players on the edge of the box and be screaming for someone to come out and mark up.

Maybe he did, who knows?

Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 12:12 - Oct 22 with 752 viewskingslandstand1

A1079 got it right in the replies on that page. Why say if you, say, win 2 of the next 3 (obvs not City!) you keep your job then after that you lose 5 in a row or whatever and we're still in the sh1t
In the normal world, other than gross misconduct or something, you go based on overall performance which does not look too good at the moment!
Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 12:14 - Oct 22 with 751 viewsDorsetIan

Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 11:20 - Oct 22 by saintwizzler

Whoever comes in will still have the same players so it’s vital it’s someone who knows what they are doing.
Russell Martin can blame who he likes but he should of spotted the players on the edge of the box and be screaming for someone to come out and mark up.

Maybe he did, who knows?

I still cannot believe that we conceded the same last minute goal two games running.

After Ipswich, that should never have happened for (at least) the rest of the season.

For it to happen again in the very next game is mind-boggling.

Everyone in the ground was thinking about what happened the last time, so how come the players weren't.

Downes was captain. He has to identify the threat.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 12:33 - Oct 22 with 710 viewskingslandstand1

Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 12:14 - Oct 22 by DorsetIan

I still cannot believe that we conceded the same last minute goal two games running.

After Ipswich, that should never have happened for (at least) the rest of the season.

For it to happen again in the very next game is mind-boggling.

Everyone in the ground was thinking about what happened the last time, so how come the players weren't.

Downes was captain. He has to identify the threat.

Wtching MOTD I was gobsmacked at the total lack of cover towards the edge of the box. Any of 4 blue shirts could gave scored that goal with a free hit!

Basics as someone on here kept referring to!
Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 18:14 - Oct 22 with 406 viewsRon11

Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 12:33 - Oct 22 by kingslandstand1

Wtching MOTD I was gobsmacked at the total lack of cover towards the edge of the box. Any of 4 blue shirts could gave scored that goal with a free hit!

Basics as someone on here kept referring to!

I could be mistaken but it looked to me like he had pissed them off yet again and they just weren't interested, perhaps hoping another defeat would finally be his downfall.
I certainly would not want to work for him, whatever he was in charge of, too ready to blame others for something he could never do himself.
The worst kind of boss.
Login to get fewer ads

Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 18:26 - Oct 22 with 390 viewsBerber

Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 18:14 - Oct 22 by Ron11

I could be mistaken but it looked to me like he had pissed them off yet again and they just weren't interested, perhaps hoping another defeat would finally be his downfall.
I certainly would not want to work for him, whatever he was in charge of, too ready to blame others for something he could never do himself.
The worst kind of boss.

Being able to do something better yourself has never been a criteria fo being the boss in any industry I am aware of.

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 18:37 - Oct 22 with 374 viewsRon11

Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 18:26 - Oct 22 by Berber

Being able to do something better yourself has never been a criteria fo being the boss in any industry I am aware of.

I never said 'better than'.
What I meant was one criteria for being a good boss is not to ask people to do something you cannot do yourself.
He was no great shakes as a footballer.
Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 18:59 - Oct 22 with 339 viewskingolaf

I feel as strongly about wanting him gone as I did Branfoot.

I’m not holding my breath that Rasdick will find us an Alan Ball though.

The procrastination of the board is doing serious damage to the club.
Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 19:00 - Oct 22 with 333 viewsmushinexile

Yes but we only have nine years and ten months to go
Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 21:34 - Oct 22 with 146 viewsJoiedevivre

If the board have learnt from last time they’d sack him now to avoid late arrival into the market, leading to a Jones appointment. Get the equivalent of the free Eddie Howe or Sean Dyche (2022-23 season), which this year is clearly either Potter or Moyes; Moyes being my preferred option.
Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 21:37 - Oct 22 with 141 viewsJoiedevivre

Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 19:00 - Oct 22 by mushinexile

Yes but we only have nine years and ten months to go

Is the 10 year programme 10 years from when he signed, or 10 years from his new contract?
Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 21:37 - Oct 22 with 138 viewssaintwizzler

Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 21:34 - Oct 22 by Joiedevivre

If the board have learnt from last time they’d sack him now to avoid late arrival into the market, leading to a Jones appointment. Get the equivalent of the free Eddie Howe or Sean Dyche (2022-23 season), which this year is clearly either Potter or Moyes; Moyes being my preferred option.

Would Potter or Moyes be interested?

Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 21:43 - Oct 22 with 132 viewsJoiedevivre

Southampton Board Said To Have Set Deadline Day For Russell Martin on 21:37 - Oct 22 by saintwizzler

Would Potter or Moyes be interested?

Potter maybe due to location. The four crap teams of Wolves, Saints, Palace, Ipswich - add a fifth in West Ham - would be in the market for this level of manager. Moyes won’t get a higher than average prem job and has already been at West Ham twice. Ipswich won’t sack their guy.

That leaves us fighting Palace and Wolves for his signature. We just have to be first. He’s said he wants to manage again.

Last time when we appointed Jones people said the same thing “who would come”, but everyone around us got very good managers due to the pull of the premier league.
[Post edited 22 Oct 21:44]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024