Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martin would have gone by now if.... 13:14 - Oct 21 with 1186 viewsPatfromPoole

1. We lost to Leeds at Wembley
2. We started this season in the Championship dismally

However, having beaten Leeds:-

- He has now become considerably more expensive to sack, with the contract extension etc.
- He will still be perceived by some of the powers that be as having credit in the bank

I fear that if we were going to do the deed, it would already have happened by now.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 13:26 - Oct 21 with 1141 viewsTripleNiemi

Don’t fret peeps…….

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 13:33 - Oct 21 with 1109 viewsfranniesTache

I think you're missing the point Pat

1. He has a beard
2. He gets us to play football THE RIGHT WAY
3. He sounds like a nice bloke
4. Being a Buddhist means he can never die so he can be here forever
5. Lucy Pinder has great tits
6. We are top of the passing stats league and everyone knows that's the one that maters
Martin would have gone by now if.... on 14:44 - Oct 21 with 1009 viewsIfonly

If we don't get rid of him soon, he will be here for the next 2 seasons at least. If they've accepted relegation then he'll be in charge in the Championship again. Because we'll have parachute payments to give us a good squad by Championship standards, we'll probably get to the play-offs. Even if he misses promotion (fairly likely, he was lucky last time) then it won't be by much so he'll get another go.

By then we'll be running out of parachute payments and we will become a mid table Championship side like Swansea were under him. I think Sport Republic's long term legacy will be to turn us from a PL club into a Championship one.
Martin would have gone by now if.... on 14:50 - Oct 21 with 996 viewsTripleNiemi

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 13:33 - Oct 21 by franniesTache

I think you're missing the point Pat

1. He has a beard
2. He gets us to play football THE RIGHT WAY
3. He sounds like a nice bloke
4. Being a Buddhist means he can never die so he can be here forever
5. Lucy Pinder has great tits
6. We are top of the passing stats league and everyone knows that's the one that maters

7. The younger element of the fanbase love him

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 14:56 - Oct 21 with 981 viewsPaleRider

Unfortunately, I believe the current issues with Saints are somewhat complex. It’s difficult but I’ll try to be brief. For starters:

The players. Saints have too many players who are not good enough individually. This need not be a fatal problem but is exacerbated by:
1) Mental fragility – both individually and collectively;
2) Lack of fitness; and
3) Being played out of position and in a team which is picked inconsistently.

The manager. Many of the players’ issues are compounded by the way they are managed. Last season Saints were lucky to be promoted – we came good in the play-offs (lottery) whilst Leeds, to a certain extent, imploded. Given the squad last year, this was simply not good enough and was a good predictor for this season. Unfortunately, Martin is tactically naïve and seems stubborn. Some people say he deserves a chance because “he is a nice guy” or because we got promoted last season. These are both irrelevant – the only thing that counts is current performance. Quite frankly, he should have gone some time ago – I suspect it’s now too late.

The owners/board. Many of the root causes are down to the owners/board. When Sport republic took over Saints were 14th in the Premier League and beat Brentford 4-0 in the first game. By the time of the Man. City cup match, Saints were up to tenth on 35 points. Since then, it’s been downhill. A combination of poor player recruitment and shocking managerial recruitment/management has been at the heart of the decline. I believe it’s not because of a lack of investment in transfers but, put simply, the board is trying to be too clever. I think they are experimenting with an unproven model of running a multi-club structure without either the necessary funs or competence to do so effectively. In order for Saints to get out of the current hole, either this season or next, the need is for a proven manager & I think that the board would find this too challenging and so I have no faith in their ability to appoint the type of manager Saints need.

There are two other issues that are worth noting:

The fans. There’s always a lot of criticism of Saints’ fans for two reasons – being too quiet and being on mobiles during the matches. The former is a long-standing problem exacerbated by a lack of on-field joy this season. The latter is a function of modern society. I don’t believe that either of these issues are unique – but they don’t help in the current circumstances.

Refereeing. By all accounts Saturday’s refereeing performance was beyond inept to the point that it raises some serious questions. It’s worth noting that last season Forest were fined for complaining, seemingly with some justification, about the quality of refereeing. I can’t help but notice that this week they are playing on Monday AND Friday, which I’m sure is just a coincidence.
Martin would have gone by now if.... on 15:01 - Oct 21 with 971 viewsRon11

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 14:44 - Oct 21 by Ifonly

If we don't get rid of him soon, he will be here for the next 2 seasons at least. If they've accepted relegation then he'll be in charge in the Championship again. Because we'll have parachute payments to give us a good squad by Championship standards, we'll probably get to the play-offs. Even if he misses promotion (fairly likely, he was lucky last time) then it won't be by much so he'll get another go.

By then we'll be running out of parachute payments and we will become a mid table Championship side like Swansea were under him. I think Sport Republic's long term legacy will be to turn us from a PL club into a Championship one.

What kind of football club takes hundreds of thousands in season ticket and weekly ticket sales then shits on all those thousands of supporters who have paid out their hard earned cash by ‘accepting relegation’ ?
Martin would have gone by now if.... on 15:03 - Oct 21 with 971 viewsPatfromPoole

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 14:56 - Oct 21 by PaleRider

Unfortunately, I believe the current issues with Saints are somewhat complex. It’s difficult but I’ll try to be brief. For starters:

The players. Saints have too many players who are not good enough individually. This need not be a fatal problem but is exacerbated by:
1) Mental fragility – both individually and collectively;
2) Lack of fitness; and
3) Being played out of position and in a team which is picked inconsistently.

The manager. Many of the players’ issues are compounded by the way they are managed. Last season Saints were lucky to be promoted – we came good in the play-offs (lottery) whilst Leeds, to a certain extent, imploded. Given the squad last year, this was simply not good enough and was a good predictor for this season. Unfortunately, Martin is tactically naïve and seems stubborn. Some people say he deserves a chance because “he is a nice guy” or because we got promoted last season. These are both irrelevant – the only thing that counts is current performance. Quite frankly, he should have gone some time ago – I suspect it’s now too late.

The owners/board. Many of the root causes are down to the owners/board. When Sport republic took over Saints were 14th in the Premier League and beat Brentford 4-0 in the first game. By the time of the Man. City cup match, Saints were up to tenth on 35 points. Since then, it’s been downhill. A combination of poor player recruitment and shocking managerial recruitment/management has been at the heart of the decline. I believe it’s not because of a lack of investment in transfers but, put simply, the board is trying to be too clever. I think they are experimenting with an unproven model of running a multi-club structure without either the necessary funs or competence to do so effectively. In order for Saints to get out of the current hole, either this season or next, the need is for a proven manager & I think that the board would find this too challenging and so I have no faith in their ability to appoint the type of manager Saints need.

There are two other issues that are worth noting:

The fans. There’s always a lot of criticism of Saints’ fans for two reasons – being too quiet and being on mobiles during the matches. The former is a long-standing problem exacerbated by a lack of on-field joy this season. The latter is a function of modern society. I don’t believe that either of these issues are unique – but they don’t help in the current circumstances.

Refereeing. By all accounts Saturday’s refereeing performance was beyond inept to the point that it raises some serious questions. It’s worth noting that last season Forest were fined for complaining, seemingly with some justification, about the quality of refereeing. I can’t help but notice that this week they are playing on Monday AND Friday, which I’m sure is just a coincidence.

Agree with a lot of that.

Including about refereeing; Gary O'Neil is pretty much on the money on this issue.

Anthony Taylor was a disgrace on Saturday and should be struck off.

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 15:31 - Oct 21 with 919 viewsIfonly

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 15:01 - Oct 21 by Ron11

What kind of football club takes hundreds of thousands in season ticket and weekly ticket sales then shits on all those thousands of supporters who have paid out their hard earned cash by ‘accepting relegation’ ?

That's Sports Republic for you. If they don't sack RM then they must have accepted relegation because even someone as incompetent as they are must be able to see that we are MILES away from what's needed to survive. We won't get there without a DRAMATIC change. Meanwhile RM insists he won't change, he'll just tinker (e.g. where should he play Ryan Manning?). So where do they expect the change to come from?
Login to get fewer ads

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 15:31 - Oct 21 with 919 viewsUTS1885

I just cant belive the manager is so one dimensional and that all opposing teams will simply train midweek for that as we offer no alternative. I think we badly needed a senior football executive and not a freebiie in hoover salesman Parsons. He it would seem has taken himself to be involved in football matters, which he has no idea about. Bringing in Lallana after all his baggage is a disgrace. Likewise allowing Le Tissier anywhere near the place with all his deranged irresponsible behaviour is another sign of weak management.
Martin would have gone by now if.... on 15:33 - Oct 21 with 903 viewsIfonly

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 15:03 - Oct 21 by PatfromPoole

Agree with a lot of that.

Including about refereeing; Gary O'Neil is pretty much on the money on this issue.

Anthony Taylor was a disgrace on Saturday and should be struck off.

Yeah I agree with a lot of it too. But on referees, yes they are shit but they are probably less shit than they were in the past. They have always favoured big teams and home teams and they have always got decisions wrong. Yes, it still happens, but it is probably less true now than it was in the past.

Part of the problem is that the rules are now more stupid than they were in the past and don't allow any room for common sense. Even there the clubs have to accept blame because they've campaigned long and hard for "consistency". The problem is, you can't have consistency (strict application of the rules and sanctions) and common sense at the same time.
Martin would have gone by now if.... on 15:42 - Oct 21 with 883 viewsJoiedevivre

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 14:50 - Oct 21 by TripleNiemi

7. The younger element of the fanbase love him

?? Everyone I know hates him. Corrected should be: social media influencers love him.
Martin would have gone by now if.... on 15:47 - Oct 21 with 864 viewsfranniesTache

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 15:42 - Oct 21 by Joiedevivre

?? Everyone I know hates him. Corrected should be: social media influencers love him.

His appeal is to the stats nerds and students, not young or old.

My mates i go with who are younger find his brand of JFK football just as dull as the older lot, and his arrogance and stubbornness annoys them just as much as it does us
Martin would have gone by now if.... on 15:55 - Oct 21 with 850 viewsgrumpy

By supporting Martin now I believe SR have condemned us to relegation. We needed to move fast to give a new manager time to hopefully turn things round. It’s no use waiting till it’s too late to change things.What sort of manager will want on his cv relegation in his first season with us? Saints fans upon promotion were looking forward to progressing instead we are going back where we can from.Saints fans deserve so much more.
Martin would have gone by now if.... on 16:04 - Oct 21 with 822 viewsPatfromPoole

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 15:55 - Oct 21 by grumpy

By supporting Martin now I believe SR have condemned us to relegation. We needed to move fast to give a new manager time to hopefully turn things round. It’s no use waiting till it’s too late to change things.What sort of manager will want on his cv relegation in his first season with us? Saints fans upon promotion were looking forward to progressing instead we are going back where we can from.Saints fans deserve so much more.

Oh I dunno, Vincent Kompany seems to have done OK.....

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 16:04 - Oct 21 with 819 viewsIfonly

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 15:47 - Oct 21 by franniesTache

His appeal is to the stats nerds and students, not young or old.

My mates i go with who are younger find his brand of JFK football just as dull as the older lot, and his arrogance and stubbornness annoys them just as much as it does us

Can't see how he appeals to stats nerds. What's appealing about 1 point from 24?

I think he does appeal to people who care about keeping up with the latest fashions in football. They would rather die than support a club managed by Sam Allardyce As far as they're concerned there is a "proper" way to play "modern" football and unfortunately RM represents this. As far as I'm concerned it's all bullsh1t.
Martin would have gone by now if.... on 17:31 - Oct 21 with 710 viewskingslandstand1

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 15:42 - Oct 21 by Joiedevivre

What's this Social Media thing?

I keep seeing reference to it and noice everyone I see under 20 always seem to be walking round looking at their phones and not where they're going - maybe it's something to do with that cos none of them seem to be able to speak either
Martin would have gone by now if.... on 17:35 - Oct 21 with 651 viewskingslandstand1

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 16:04 - Oct 21 by PatfromPoole

Oh I dunno, Vincent Kompany seems to have done OK.....

But the Burnley fans? Ok, they are doing ok in the Championship or is that what we want?
Martin would have gone by now if.... on 20:51 - Oct 21 with 470 viewsJoiedevivre

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 17:31 - Oct 21 by kingslandstand1

What's this Social Media thing?

I keep seeing reference to it and noice everyone I see under 20 always seem to be walking round looking at their phones and not where they're going - maybe it's something to do with that cos none of them seem to be able to speak either

Platforms in which it is cool to be ultra-contrarian and act like possession football is the best and actually entertaining.

A poll on there, currently with 357 votes, has ‘Martin Out’ winning with 50.4% to ‘Martin In’ at 49.6%. Compare this to Saints forums which average at around 80% in favour of getting rid of him.
Martin would have gone by now if.... on 21:00 - Oct 21 with 456 viewsPatfromPoole

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 20:51 - Oct 21 by Joiedevivre

Platforms in which it is cool to be ultra-contrarian and act like possession football is the best and actually entertaining.

A poll on there, currently with 357 votes, has ‘Martin Out’ winning with 50.4% to ‘Martin In’ at 49.6%. Compare this to Saints forums which average at around 80% in favour of getting rid of him.

Where is this poll?

Sounds demented.

Makes me want Moyes even more; I reckon our nerds would hate him.

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 21:08 - Oct 21 with 440 viewsJoiedevivre

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 21:00 - Oct 21 by PatfromPoole

Where is this poll?

Sounds demented.

Makes me want Moyes even more; I reckon our nerds would hate him.

I believe it’s from the same account which said even if we broke Derby’s dreadful points record we should keep Martin.
Martin would have gone by now if.... on 21:10 - Oct 21 with 425 viewsPatfromPoole

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 21:08 - Oct 21 by Joiedevivre

I believe it’s from the same account which said even if we broke Derby’s dreadful points record we should keep Martin.

Just voted.

“Martin out” up to 52%…..

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 21:40 - Oct 21 with 349 viewskingslandstand1

Martin would have gone by now if.... on 21:10 - Oct 21 by PatfromPoole

Just voted.

“Martin out” up to 52%…..

A bit like our political polls, ask a 1000 people a question and that is supposed to be representative of the whole country!
I've never been asked my views on anything - probably with good reason
Martin would have gone by now if.... on 16:22 - Oct 22 with 125 viewsIfonly

Just added to Martin OUT but the cool and trendy guys are now on 53%
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024