Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Emma Raducando 04:45 - Jul 4 with 10013 viewsFredManRave

With so much negative shite going on everywhere, in general, at the moment it was just a simple breath of fresh air to see a still very young 21 year old, sports professional, who has gone through so much in the last 2 years, to finally play (back) to her potential.

She called her 2nd round win, "winning ugly", a la England, but today she was supreme.

And skill and dedication aside, in the post match interview, just showed how much she is appreciative of and enjoys, the special gift that she's been given.

A real highlight and nice break from all the negativity being espoused at the moment.

And now she's playing mixed doubles with Andy Murray, so we all know who's fault that will be if they don't win the title!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Emma Raducando on 09:18 - Jul 8 with 1562 viewsGaryBannister86

Emma Raducando on 23:09 - Jul 7 by BucksRanger

Possibly down to inherant, internally unrecognised racism. Father is Romanian and mother is Chinese. It's maybe enough to spark a dislike of Emma Raducanu in some people without them even knowing why.

She seems perfectly pleasant to me.

I fear you are right. God, what sad miserable lives they must have. I do not understand how anyone can't have time for Radacanu - one of our own, through our own system and a grand slam winner.

I too blame Judy Murray for her selfish outburst, certainly wouldn't have helped. Make it up by getting Andy in to coach - if he can't inspire her to play through pain, no-one can.
Emma Raducando on 09:51 - Jul 8 with 1482 viewsJamesB1979

Emma Raducando on 23:09 - Jul 7 by BucksRanger

Possibly down to inherant, internally unrecognised racism. Father is Romanian and mother is Chinese. It's maybe enough to spark a dislike of Emma Raducanu in some people without them even knowing why.

She seems perfectly pleasant to me.

I don’t think it’s racism. I think partly jealousy and partly because the impression is she’s focussed more on things off the tennis court and does seem to have a lot of injuries during matches. The other issue is her looks. She gets loads of press attention, much more than a player like her would normally do. I think she has just been badly advised since her US open win. She’s clearly talented player.
Emma Raducando on 10:05 - Jul 8 with 1466 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Emma Raducando on 09:51 - Jul 8 by JamesB1979

I don’t think it’s racism. I think partly jealousy and partly because the impression is she’s focussed more on things off the tennis court and does seem to have a lot of injuries during matches. The other issue is her looks. She gets loads of press attention, much more than a player like her would normally do. I think she has just been badly advised since her US open win. She’s clearly talented player.

A lot of the Anna Kournakovas about Radacanu.

Young, good player, attractive looking, but blighted by injuries. The trouble with so many sports, is that the 'system' wants younger and younger players. However, the physical and mental demands to get to the top of any sport often takes a dreadful toll on young bodies and minds.

If my memory serves, Liverpool held Gerrard back a year, as his body went on a growth spurt, however, if they'd pushed him, who knows how that would have impacted him and his health in later life.

Radacanu came from nowhere at 19, and as most people's bodies don't reach their full and final development until they are 21, I wonder if her injuries are related to over-stressing at too young an age?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Emma Raducando on 11:33 - Jul 8 with 1362 viewsnix

Emma Raducando on 09:51 - Jul 8 by JamesB1979

Yes but it's an impression about lack of focus, not reality. She does fewer than 20 advertisement days in a year - hardly burdensome and probably fewer than a lot of other sportspeople but no-one says Djoko lacks focus or Messi or Ronaldo and they are everywhere in ads.

The injury thing is also pretty common in tennis. It's a brutal sport. The injuries she's had can be career-ending. Laura Robson was a top talent that had to end her career after recurrent wrist ligament injuries. Juan Martin del Potro also had a string of injuries and no-one said he wasn't trying hard enough.

I think the jealousy thing is a big issue. Some people don't like to see young women being rich and successful. She can't do much about that though or her looks.

I've seen Emma down at the National Tennis Centre practising with children's tennis balls when coming back from injury. She looked very focused.
Emma Raducando on 11:40 - Jul 8 with 1336 viewsGaryBannister86

Emma Raducando on 11:33 - Jul 8 by nix

Yes but it's an impression about lack of focus, not reality. She does fewer than 20 advertisement days in a year - hardly burdensome and probably fewer than a lot of other sportspeople but no-one says Djoko lacks focus or Messi or Ronaldo and they are everywhere in ads.

The injury thing is also pretty common in tennis. It's a brutal sport. The injuries she's had can be career-ending. Laura Robson was a top talent that had to end her career after recurrent wrist ligament injuries. Juan Martin del Potro also had a string of injuries and no-one said he wasn't trying hard enough.

I think the jealousy thing is a big issue. Some people don't like to see young women being rich and successful. She can't do much about that though or her looks.

I've seen Emma down at the National Tennis Centre practising with children's tennis balls when coming back from injury. She looked very focused.

Exactly - and Jack Draper was on the front cover of Vogue or something doing a modelling shoot, yet strangely the media didn't raise that as a lack of focus for him?

Leave our Emma alone, she is brilliant and doing fine. Personally, I am going to enjoy watching her tennis around the world for years to come, I hope.
Emma Raducando on 13:14 - Jul 8 with 1179 viewsTheChef

One thing that pissed me off on Centre Court before play is all these introductions of sport stars or others saying hello to the crowd and enjoying their freebie for the day.

Fair enough if it's ex tennis players they're introducing, but even as a cricket fan I couldn't give a monkeys if Root and Stokes were there.

I bet they didn't do this celeb obsessed bollocks 30 or 40 years ago.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Emma Raducando on 13:17 - Jul 8 with 1169 viewsJamesB1979

Emma Raducando on 11:33 - Jul 8 by nix

I’m not saying I agree with any of that. You don’t win a Slam if you haven’t got any fight.
Emma Raducando on 13:29 - Jul 8 with 1142 viewsstevec

She’s definitely got fight. She put up a real battle against a player who was clearly better than her.

Radacanu is our best womens player but her inability to control the game suggests she won’t be going further than 4th round in Slams again.
Login to get fewer ads

Emma Raducando on 13:45 - Jul 8 with 1090 viewsGaryBannister86

Emma Raducando on 13:29 - Jul 8 by stevec

She’s definitely got fight. She put up a real battle against a player who was clearly better than her.

Radacanu is our best womens player but her inability to control the game suggests she won’t be going further than 4th round in Slams again.

better than her.....on the day. She played out of her skin.

I don't like the way our players are always assessed by one match at Wimbledon - what about the other 50 weeks of the year? People think Heather Watson is handy because she gets a wildcard and may win one match, whereas all year round she is hopeless.

Emma will get to another grand slam final, at least, if injuries don't do her in.
Emma Raducando on 16:01 - Jul 8 with 926 viewskensalriser

Obviously she's a very good player, but looks miles away from winning another slam. I guess the US open win has raised exceptions to an unrealistic level - she's no better than Katie Boulter or Harriet Dart, neither of whom she's beaten (lost twice to each).

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Emma Raducando on 16:37 - Jul 8 with 876 viewsjohnhoop

Emma Raducando on 16:01 - Jul 8 by kensalriser

Obviously she's a very good player, but looks miles away from winning another slam. I guess the US open win has raised exceptions to an unrealistic level - she's no better than Katie Boulter or Harriet Dart, neither of whom she's beaten (lost twice to each).

Downvoted in error.
Emma Raducando on 16:43 - Jul 8 with 863 viewsjohnhoop

She just didn’t look right at all from the start yesterday and it was such a contrast to the previous rounds. Against Mertens and Sakkari she was hitting the ball deep to the baseline and going for the corners. It was really frustrating watching her yesterday because she kept hitting floaty half-court balls to her opponent who understandably was gobbling them up and hitting a stream of winners.
I don’t know if this was a deliberate tactic but it sure was asking for trouble.
Emma Raducando on 17:35 - Jul 8 with 770 viewsGaryBannister86

Emma Raducando on 16:01 - Jul 8 by kensalriser

Honestly couldn't disagree more. She's won a grand slam - not at home or on grass either - Boulter and Dart will never get anywhere near a quarter final, and that would only be at Wimbledon if so. They can only beat her when she is nowhere near fit / ready. Wait till she has a full year on tour, then judge.
Emma Raducando on 20:42 - Jul 8 with 608 viewsnix

Emma Raducando on 17:35 - Jul 8 by GaryBannister86

Honestly couldn't disagree more. She's won a grand slam - not at home or on grass either - Boulter and Dart will never get anywhere near a quarter final, and that would only be at Wimbledon if so. They can only beat her when she is nowhere near fit / ready. Wait till she has a full year on tour, then judge.

Yep. I also think that matches between GB players are always a bit weird and can't really be used as a yardstick for overall ability. Boulter being beaten by Dart and Draper by Norrie at Wimbledon does not really reflect their current standard of play and both winners were knocked out in the next round. Boulter was clearly put off by Dart crying through most of the third set, and I think she would have had a better chance of beating Wang in the next round.

Harriet has nowhere near the ceiling that Emma does, although she maximises her talent and is extremely focused. Her second serve is a glaring problem for her and she doesn't have the weapons that Emma has.

Katie has a lot of talent but is not quite at Emma's level if both were playing at their best. I do think Katie has the talent to get to fourth rounds though at least, which is impressive but not quite Emma's potential if she manages to stay injury free for long enough to play regularly.
Emma Raducando on 09:36 - Jul 9 with 386 viewsSydneyRs

Emma Raducando on 17:35 - Jul 8 by GaryBannister86

100%. Raducanu is still on the comeback trail from a series of injuries and isn't yet at the level to maintain form for two weeks in a slam. She also apparently had back issues in the final set of the game she lost. She's shown more than enough recently to suggest she'll be back amongst the top ranked players soon.

Saying she's no better than Harriet Dart is just laughable. Boulter is closer but an injury free Raducanu would be far superior to her too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024