Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bye bye bye Johnson 09:24 - Jul 7 with 48250 viewswood_hoop

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news

Hope it don't mean we get a points deduction
Bye bye bye Johnson on 14:45 - Jul 12 with 1386 viewsMaggsinho

Bye bye bye Johnson on 14:02 - Jul 12 by ngbqpr

So true. I never have and never will vote Tory, but at least there used to be a wing of the party (sometimes even in a majority for a while) that had some kind of human face. As the current mob made f*ck up after f*ck up during the pandemic, all while lining their mates' pockets, I remember thinking, "John Major wouldn't have been a bad PM to have right now."

As seen on the political discussions on this board (which I always find a good way to see outside the bubble I freely admit to being in), it's very much created a "whose side are you on?" divide which arguably all goes back to the Tories' ongoing inability to deal with Europe, and the subsequent hijacking of the party that followed on when they started leaking votes to Farage.

It'll only change if their well-oiled election winning machine malfunctions.

Look at those 11 contenders, talk about a rogues' gallery.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 15:41]

This leadership election shows just how far the Tories have moved to the right, when you have even Jeremy Hunt saying he'd continue the Rwanda policy and even go further it's a real line in the sand.

Lots of stuff like leaving the ECHR, Rwanda, cancelling Net Zero would once have been on the swivel eyed fringes and now they're mainstream policies.
Bye bye bye Johnson on 14:46 - Jul 12 with 1378 viewsE17hoop

Bye bye bye Johnson on 14:28 - Jul 12 by joe90

I'm finding it amusing how some on here seemed shocked that some of the conservative leadership candidates have conservative views...I also find it interesting how diverse the candidates are.

Interesting piece by Sunny Hundal in the independent on this:
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/conservative-party-leadership-candidates-et

They represent diversity in terms of sex and ethnicity, but their political views are on the right of conservative and that makes differentiating themselves pretty tough.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Bye bye bye Johnson on 14:49 - Jul 12 with 1356 viewsCamberleyR

Bye bye bye Johnson on 14:45 - Jul 12 by Maggsinho

This leadership election shows just how far the Tories have moved to the right, when you have even Jeremy Hunt saying he'd continue the Rwanda policy and even go further it's a real line in the sand.

Lots of stuff like leaving the ECHR, Rwanda, cancelling Net Zero would once have been on the swivel eyed fringes and now they're mainstream policies.

Plus Hunt says his deputy would be batshit mentalist Esther McVey. Blimey, can you imagine her stepping in as deputy PM if Hunt had a prolonged illness? She'd re-introduce hanging before you know it.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 14:57]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Bye bye bye Johnson on 14:52 - Jul 12 with 1342 viewsLythamR

Bye bye bye Johnson on 12:43 - Jul 12 by kensalriser

Jeez, Hud, she's a far right nutcase.

Surely we have reached a threshold that warrants the use of the big RESET button!
Bye bye bye Johnson on 15:07 - Jul 12 with 1274 viewsToast_R

Bye bye bye Johnson on 12:43 - Jul 12 by kensalriser

Jeez, Hud, she's a far right nutcase.

Far right nutcase, that's a good one.

As Ricky Gervais says if you're mildly conservative you're Hitler and if your mildly left wing you're Trotsky. If you're a centrist then you're a coward and they both hate you!
Bye bye bye Johnson on 15:10 - Jul 12 with 1255 viewsdmm

Although the Tory move to the right has been happening for years, I find it strange in a way that Johnson has given that a real boost. He is far more interested in self-aggrandisement than actual politics and will do or agree to almost anything if it works in his favour.

That in itself could be one way of understanding far right politics - to do anything to grab and stay in power - but I think Johnson has been used by the right of his party as a battering ram to push as much of their despicable policies through. Now he's a busted flush, they're happy to dispose of him.
Bye bye bye Johnson on 15:34 - Jul 12 with 1226 viewsderbyhoop

I feel 3 or 4 won't find 20 supporters to get to 1st round.

Other than Hunt & Tugendhat, the ones who do will be those who were a prominent part of Johnson's Government (sic!). Fills you with confidence for next 2 years.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Bye bye bye Johnson on 15:41 - Jul 12 with 1197 viewsRanger_Things

I'm finding it amusing how some on here seemed shocked that some of the conservative leadership candidates have conservative views...I also find it interesting how diverse the candidates are.

The majority don’t hold Conservative views or follow ‘traditional Tory values’ though. There has always been a small but vocal minority of far right nutjobs in the party but now the lunatics have taken over the asylum. It started with the ERG challenging Cameron, then the successful Boris Johnson fronted coup against Teresa May, sabotage of the Brexit deal and expulsion of 21 traditional One Nation Conservative MP’s. Like the Republican Party in the states they are corrupted by dark money and no longer pursue Conservative policies. They are now a far right populist party, Conservative in name only.

Winston must be spinning in his grave.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 15:52]
Login to get fewer ads

Bye bye bye Johnson on 15:42 - Jul 12 with 1197 viewsMaggsinho

Bye bye bye Johnson on 15:34 - Jul 12 by derbyhoop

I feel 3 or 4 won't find 20 supporters to get to 1st round.

Other than Hunt & Tugendhat, the ones who do will be those who were a prominent part of Johnson's Government (sic!). Fills you with confidence for next 2 years.

I think the final two will be Sunak and Truss with Truss being elected leader.
Bye bye bye Johnson on 16:00 - Jul 12 with 1150 viewskensalriser

They're not diverse if you go on wealth/privilege/social status. Zahawi and Sunak are the two richest MPs in parliament, Javid is minted too.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Bye bye bye Johnson on 16:04 - Jul 12 with 1143 viewsRanger_Things

Bye bye bye Johnson on 16:00 - Jul 12 by kensalriser

They're not diverse if you go on wealth/privilege/social status. Zahawi and Sunak are the two richest MPs in parliament, Javid is minted too.

All 3 are tax dodgers too.
Bye bye bye Johnson on 16:12 - Jul 12 with 1132 viewsderbyhoop

Bye bye bye Johnson on 15:42 - Jul 12 by Maggsinho

Pretty. Vacant.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Bye bye bye Johnson on 16:22 - Jul 12 with 1091 viewsSheffieldHoop

Bye bye bye Johnson on 13:39 - Jul 12 by CamberleyR

As are a quite large majority of the parliamentary party these days. The Tories at large in the country have been infiltrated and hijacked by former UKIP/EDL/BNP. They are their Militant Tendency.

You only have to look at some of the 2019 intake; Anderson, Benton, Jenkinson, Gullis, Hunt, Clarke-Smith, Nici, Kruger, Stafford. All hard right and not an empathetic bone in their bodies between them. Jenkinson actually stood for UKIP in 2015 in the constituency he represents now (Workington).

Whilst I didn't agree with the general politics of people like Ken Clarke, Michael Heseltine and John Major, they had redeeming qualities of decency and empathy. Their kind is a dying breed in the Tories these days.

Clarke tends to lie low these days since retiring from the HoC but Heseltine and Major have both spoken out on the Tories' lurch rightward in the last few years under Johnson.

Yeh that's interesting because I feel the same about Labour. When I grew up Steve Pound was our local MP, and I'll still listen to what he's got to say, he still seems an ordinary bloke despite being a sitting MP for 10+ years. He's from the Labour I could just about get along with, that didn't seem hell-bent on destroying this country at every given opportunity, that didn't just shout isms at people who might have a point to make about something.

Think the 2015-2019 intake for Labour, almost entirely on the Labour-Left, was equally as bad, if not worse. It's made Labour unelectable.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Bye bye bye Johnson on 16:28 - Jul 12 with 1096 viewsCamberleyR

Bye bye bye Johnson on 15:42 - Jul 12 by Maggsinho

I think she'd be a godsend for Labour and Starmer. She has a total inability to think on her feet.

Any half decent interviewer and questioner would pull her apart.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Bye bye bye Johnson on 16:32 - Jul 12 with 1082 viewsrobith

Bye bye bye Johnson on 14:28 - Jul 12 by Phildo

I think modern politics is a bit like away games now. Too much Bolivian marching powder. Its the only thing that explains it.

Popbitch have been alleging for a while that there is a big cultural divide between the longer standing Tories and the more culture war led 2010/15/19 intakes.....and it's lines that's dividing them if you catch my drift
Bye bye bye Johnson on 16:38 - Jul 12 with 1057 viewsrobith

Look, I'm unlikely to agree with any of them politically - but it is of grave concern to me that given the difficulties we are facing and are getting worse (energy cap goes up by more than anticipated in October for e.g), literally all these guys are talking about is dropping taxes, cutting public services and putting "mens" and "womens" on post it notes on single occupancy toilets. Feels like whoever wins we're in for a real rough time
Bye bye bye Johnson on 16:40 - Jul 12 with 1039 viewsHAYESBOY

Wont be Truss, she is a remainer.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Bye bye bye Johnson on 16:40 - Jul 12 with 1037 viewsToast_R

Bye bye bye Johnson on 16:00 - Jul 12 by kensalriser

So what, racism doesn't exist if you're rich and an MP?
Bye bye bye Johnson on 16:50 - Jul 12 with 1002 viewskensalriser

Bye bye bye Johnson on 16:40 - Jul 12 by Toast_R

So what, racism doesn't exist if you're rich and an MP?

Privilege and status usually trump colour.

Those who get shat on the most are working class minorities.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Bye bye bye Johnson on 16:50 - Jul 12 with 1003 viewsngbqpr

Bye bye bye Johnson on 16:40 - Jul 12 by HAYESBOY

...who's just ben backed by Rees Mogg and Dorries and referred to as "as good a Brexiteer as I am" by Moggy (after her 2017 about turn).

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Bye bye bye Johnson on 16:51 - Jul 12 with 1001 viewsted_hendrix

Oh, the agony of choice.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Bye bye bye Johnson on 16:51 - Jul 12 with 995 viewsWatfordR

According to Rees-Mogg, she's more Brexit than him and Dorries!!
Bye bye bye Johnson on 16:53 - Jul 12 with 986 viewsdmm

According to Rees Mogg and Dorries today Truss is a more ardent Brexiter than they are. And there can be no reason to disbelieve them. Surely?
Bye bye bye Johnson on 16:58 - Jul 12 with 954 viewsSheffieldHoop

Baz, I know you think I have multiple accounts on here, but at least I don't use them all to say the exact same thing.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Bye bye bye Johnson on 17:02 - Jul 12 with 1775 viewsWatfordR

Bye bye bye Johnson on 14:02 - Jul 12 by ngbqpr

So true. I never have and never will vote Tory, but at least there used to be a wing of the party (sometimes even in a majority for a while) that had some kind of human face. As the current mob made f*ck up after f*ck up during the pandemic, all while lining their mates' pockets, I remember thinking, "John Major wouldn't have been a bad PM to have right now."

As seen on the political discussions on this board (which I always find a good way to see outside the bubble I freely admit to being in), it's very much created a "whose side are you on?" divide which arguably all goes back to the Tories' ongoing inability to deal with Europe, and the subsequent hijacking of the party that followed on when they started leaking votes to Farage.

It'll only change if their well-oiled election winning machine malfunctions.

Look at those 11 contenders, talk about a rogues' gallery.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 15:41]

Think you've got it spot on there, the only thing that appears to matter to the Tories is winning GEs. It doesn't appear to matter to them if they preside over the decimation of the country.

Unfortunately, i think you'd be pushed to find a party to vote for if putting the country first is what you're looking for.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024