Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Caulker.A huge chance lost. 08:15 - Sep 29 with 10004 viewsNOTRAC

If it is true that we had the first chance to signSteven Caulker ,then I believe a big mistake was made in allowing Cardiff to step in .He has definitely made a massive difference to their performances this year,and yesterday's game against Arsenal highlighted the need for a player of his capabilities at the heart of our defence.
The suggestions of his off the field problems never nullified his performances for us when he was on loan from Tottenham, and the fact that he was deemed good enough to play for England last year illustrated the undoubted talent that he developed ,particularly during his year with ourselves.
It is pretty obvious now that Gary Monk,s fantastic career is near its end, and he can no longer be considered as an adequate replacement for Ashley when injured.In fact Ashley has obviously struggled with injury for most games this year,and Colemans decision to play him throughout those ridiculous friendly games in August has undoubtedly cost us dear.
We have spent considerably this year and perhaps the Board felt that we had spent enough when Caulker became available.However we could have possibly recouped a fair amount of his fee from the sale of Ki ,whose loan to Sunderland so early in the season suggests that our manager had already decided that he was not wanted as part of our set up.
To be fair to Laudrup he was not around during the year that Caulker played for us,but I am surprised that the Board didn't push for him as he was outstanding for us throughout that season.
We are now left in a position where we could have no fit main central defender of the ability needed ,that will cost us a lot of problems,particularly against the better teams.
Cardiff s gain has definitely been our loss.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 09:09 - Sep 29 with 9068 viewstomdickharry

A very good post,my understanding is that Caulker wished to come to us but Laudrup didn't want him for whatever reason,possibly a missed opportunity to sign a quality player.
Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 09:18 - Sep 29 with 9029 viewsMattG

£8m for a bench warmer?

Tongue-in-cheek but that's largely what he would have been here with Ash and Chico ahead of him plus I'm also pretty happy with what I've seen of Amat so far.

Agree about Monk, though - the fact that he wasn't even on the bench today says it all.
Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 09:46 - Sep 29 with 8928 viewssomersetsimon

Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 09:18 - Sep 29 by MattG

£8m for a bench warmer?

Tongue-in-cheek but that's largely what he would have been here with Ash and Chico ahead of him plus I'm also pretty happy with what I've seen of Amat so far.

Agree about Monk, though - the fact that he wasn't even on the bench today says it all.

It's only when he doesn't play that we really appreciate how good Ash is. Ash + anyone = a good centre back partnership. If we had signed Caulker he would still look good with Ash, but I suspect that a combination of Chico and Caulker would give us the occasional problems
Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 10:28 - Sep 29 with 8798 viewsMorfa_Same

I'd have loved us to sign Caulker too but I don't agree that the board should be pushing targets on ML. Laudrup is the manager and must be allowed to sign players of his choosing otherwise we'd just have another Ki/Bartley situation.
Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 13:37 - Sep 29 with 8568 viewsPlasticman

£8m for a bench warmer?

I think the price tag was the problem too.

I'm guessing we'll replace monk on the bench for depth in next season due to age creeping in on him. Wether that will be with a return of Bartley of someone new I don't know, though.

Plastic since 2012

Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 13:45 - Sep 29 with 8549 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

I'm sure when he left Spurs he would have more or less demanded whichever team signed him that he would be first choice defender barring really poor form or injury

something he would not be here

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 14:05 - Sep 29 with 8519 viewsdobjack2

Would laudrup have not started with ash and Chico every game he could? The cries of £8 million to sit on the bench would be heard. In my view there may be conflict between British scouting and laudrups scouting/preferences hence amat.We lack depth at centre back with a veteran and rookie a serious risk, the manager will say that the British market is inflated however we cant buy abroad all of the time. we desperately need a winger who will run at players and shoot (e.g Tom Ince) and need to be picking up hungry British players.
Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 14:55 - Sep 29 with 8427 viewsWhiterockin

Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 13:45 - Sep 29 by PatchesOHoulihan

I'm sure when he left Spurs he would have more or less demanded whichever team signed him that he would be first choice defender barring really poor form or injury

something he would not be here

This is spot on. He left Spurs for regular first team football, he would not have had that with us.
Login to get fewer ads

Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 15:12 - Sep 29 with 8386 viewsAnotherJohn

Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 14:55 - Sep 29 by Whiterockin

This is spot on. He left Spurs for regular first team football, he would not have had that with us.

I said last week that I had doubts about our strength in depth at centre back, and yesterday's game did nothing to change my mind. I felt very anxious indeed when Chico was rolling around in agony. Amat is showing promise, but I would not fancy him without Ash or Chico alongside. I stick by my view that it would be a good move to sign another centre back in January. The idea that a decent centre back will be unwilling to fight for his place is belied by the situation at most of the other top half teams - they all have more defensive cover than we do. Caulker would have been an okay signing, but I felt that he had slipped down the pecking order at Spurs and needed to get back on track.

P.S. Pressed the wrong button and this is not a specific response to the post above.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2013 15:13]
Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 00:40 - Sep 30 with 7850 viewsChina_Jack

I think there is a clause that allows spurs to sign him back at the same price within 2 years. Cardiff is eager to avoid relegation so they agreed. but I dont't think Huw Jenkins would agree this clause.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2013 0:44]
Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 07:20 - Sep 30 with 7726 viewsPhil_S

£8m for a bench warmer?

The fact Monk wasnt on the bench today says he was injured and thus couldnt be.

Nothing else.
Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 08:24 - Sep 30 with 7649 viewsmonmouth

Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 07:20 - Sep 30 by Phil_S

Nothing else.

Ha. You have to spoil every story with your pesky facts don't you?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 08:25 - Sep 30 with 7647 viewsPhil_S

Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 08:24 - Sep 30 by monmouth

Ha. You have to spoil every story with your pesky facts don't you?

I know, I'm sorry
Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 09:52 - Sep 30 with 7540 viewstomdickharry

We have a £12M bench warmer already so add Caulker at £8M and Jenkins is not a happy CEO.
(No subject) (n/t) on 13:13 - Sep 30 with 7394 viewsDevz00

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 13:13 - Sep 30 with 7391 viewsDevz00

Yep. I'd loved to have Caulker here too but he's guaranteed football at Cardiff and he's not here. It's really that simple. We wouldn't splash out £8m on a 3rd choice centre back.

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 13:26 - Sep 30 with 7363 viewsMattG

Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 07:20 - Sep 30 by Phil_S

Nothing else.

I did wonder and had a quick Google but didn't turn up anything that said he was injured.

Doesn't really change the thrust of my post though.
Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 15:03 - Sep 30 with 7279 viewsDyfnant

I'm not sure I'd be happy us spending £8M on any Premiership centre-back, never mind Caulker

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 16:11 - Sep 30 with 7218 viewsJBT95

Really? Amat has played his fair share of games this season, and I agree with we need to buy a few more british players, nothing against Amat or Chico, but there must be british centre backs just as good.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2013 16:14]
Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 17:44 - Sep 30 with 7148 viewsC_jack

It was the wrong time for us to buy him, no doubt a quality CB, but we can't put 3 of them in the team, how football goes sometimes.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 17:53 - Sep 30 with 7131 viewswr72

I've heard that he was desperate to leave Spurs and vice versa as he owed a lot of money to team mates through gambling and it was causing problems within the Spurs squad.
Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 17:55 - Sep 30 with 7126 viewsCatullus

With the number of games we'll have this season and our need to rotate, having Caulker here would have been ideal. Look at the game time Amat has had already.
Also, we need to replace Monk. He's been great for us but his time is surely up now? His back is dodgy, is that the injury problem now?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 17:59 - Sep 30 with 7113 viewsJokeren1943

He made have been perfect if we sold Williams for around 10 million.

He knows the club, style and culture.
Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 18:17 - Sep 30 with 7082 viewsblackjack

I think we missed a trick with not signing Caulker. He is only 21 yrs old and the 8 mill cardiff paid for him will pay for itself over the yrs. I have no doubt Caulker will keep cardiff in the league, he is a rock in defence and will only get better with age. No offense to ash but he is getting on now and caulker could have been our new Ash for the yrs to come. Amat is nowhere near as good as caulker, plus we could of done with another home grown player.
Caulker.A huge chance lost. on 16:54 - Oct 1 with 6868 viewsTrallwnjack

Give Amat a chance mun he's only played a few games and is only 21, needs to learn the language. I remember thinking Chico was a bit dodgy in his first few games but look what a player he has turned out to be.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024