Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corners 07:54 - Aug 19 with 1043 viewsA1079

Watching the game on Saturday, I lost count on how many corners we had, especially in the 2nd half and I don't recall one creating a goal threat. We rarely beat the first man and we never appeared to attack a corner. This was an issue last season in the championship so we cannot say it is a PL thing. There was a time when corners were seen as an advantage.
Corners on 08:13 - Aug 19 with 977 viewsdirk_doone

We need a centre forward almost as much as we need a goalkeeper.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Corners on 08:14 - Aug 19 with 969 viewsdavidargyll

Very good point.
It’s been going up in the PL…
Corner goals last five seasons

Season Goals from corners Goals from corners (%)
2018/19 146 13.6%
2019/20 134 13.0%
2020/21 132 12.9%
2021/22 146 13.6%
2022/23 151 13.9%
Corners on 08:15 - Aug 19 with 965 viewsdavidargyll

PS. Well we are top of something! Corners in the PL this season? 12
Corners on 08:23 - Aug 19 with 945 viewsdirk_doone

Haji Wright, Ayoub El Kaabi, Vedat Muriqi etc. There are plenty of players out there who could score headed goals for us, and they'd cost less than Cameron Archer, who is a poor finisher with only 4 goals in 39 Premier League games.
[Post edited 19 Aug 8:28]

Corners on 08:42 - Aug 19 with 881 viewssaint22

For a long time now our corners have been very ineffective and not only that we often then suffer a breakaway goal threat from our poor delivery

I did think Sugawara looked like he could deliver a good corner against Getafe but time will tell
Corners on 09:21 - Aug 19 with 846 viewsdirk_doone

Corners on 08:42 - Aug 19 by saint22

For a long time now our corners have been very ineffective and not only that we often then suffer a breakaway goal threat from our poor delivery

I did think Sugawara looked like he could deliver a good corner against Getafe but time will tell

You are right. Sugawara looks like he is our best set piece taker. The problem is that because he is a new player, more senior players, who aren't as good as him, take them.

Corners on 10:12 - Aug 19 with 762 viewsgrumpy

Why not have Paul Onuachu on the bench?
Oh!yes I know he has his many critics but are we paying him just to train?
At 6ft 7in he would have been a menace in the Newcastle box.
It was obvious that we would have a lot of possession when Newcastle went down to 10 and subsequently a few corners.
Corners on 10:19 - Aug 19 with 751 viewsIfonly

I thought the same thing myself. We could have had 100 corners on Saturday and never scored. They are more risk to us than the opposition.

This is a long standing problem for us and comes down to the lack of physicality in the team. The problem started under Ralph because he wanted highly mobile, Shane Long type strikers. Big guys can't do that so we started to get a team of midgets. Now we prioritise the ability to play tippy-tappy. Again, big buys tend not to be the best at that, so we end up with a small team.

The team got stuck in on Saturday, so we weren't physically dominated as we have been in the past, but it's still a problem on all crosses, including corners. In contrast, have a look at Onana's debut goal for Villa. He brushed aside Antonio, who is no pushover himself. That's the way to do it. A big centre forward would really help, but I think this will always be a weakness for us as long as we go all-in on possession, because in general, we can't afford players who are both technical and physical.
Login to get fewer ads

Corners on 10:56 - Aug 19 with 707 viewssaint22

Corners on 10:19 - Aug 19 by Ifonly

I thought the same thing myself. We could have had 100 corners on Saturday and never scored. They are more risk to us than the opposition.

This is a long standing problem for us and comes down to the lack of physicality in the team. The problem started under Ralph because he wanted highly mobile, Shane Long type strikers. Big guys can't do that so we started to get a team of midgets. Now we prioritise the ability to play tippy-tappy. Again, big buys tend not to be the best at that, so we end up with a small team.

The team got stuck in on Saturday, so we weren't physically dominated as we have been in the past, but it's still a problem on all crosses, including corners. In contrast, have a look at Onana's debut goal for Villa. He brushed aside Antonio, who is no pushover himself. That's the way to do it. A big centre forward would really help, but I think this will always be a weakness for us as long as we go all-in on possession, because in general, we can't afford players who are both technical and physical.

that coupled with the fact we buy strikers & then seem to play them on the wing 99% of the time
Corners on 11:21 - Aug 19 with 667 viewssaints__fan__73

Corners on 08:23 - Aug 19 by dirk_doone

Haji Wright, Ayoub El Kaabi, Vedat Muriqi etc. There are plenty of players out there who could score headed goals for us, and they'd cost less than Cameron Archer, who is a poor finisher with only 4 goals in 39 Premier League games.
[Post edited 19 Aug 8:28]

Archer is a winger as is BBD really. Armstrong is 5 foot 8.

The only striker we have is the Crap Paul and we are looking to sell him.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Corners on 11:59 - Aug 19 with 625 viewssaintwizzler

Corners on 11:21 - Aug 19 by saints__fan__73

Archer is a winger as is BBD really. Armstrong is 5 foot 8.

The only striker we have is the Crap Paul and we are looking to sell him.

Don’t forget The Loch Ness Drogba and Sekou!!

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Corners on 12:52 - Aug 19 with 532 viewskingslandstand1

Corners on 10:12 - Aug 19 by grumpy

Why not have Paul Onuachu on the bench?
Oh!yes I know he has his many critics but are we paying him just to train?
At 6ft 7in he would have been a menace in the Newcastle box.
It was obvious that we would have a lot of possession when Newcastle went down to 10 and subsequently a few corners.

Do as in the NFL when they can bring a kicker on for instance, we bring TP on just for corners. Result!
Corners on 13:30 - Aug 19 with 479 viewssaints__fan__73

Corners on 11:59 - Aug 19 by saintwizzler

Don’t forget The Loch Ness Drogba and Sekou!!

The Crock Ness Monster you mean? I've forgotten him. As our accountants are trying to do.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024