Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 AFTERMATH 16:10 - Sep 26 with 21154 viewsNotLoyal

The reason this is a thing
Swansea City head to south London on Wednesday undefeated in the last four games with three draws and a win. Fulham are going through a slight blip bit are favourites to take all the points in this game. Manager Marco Silva isn’t under any pressure as yet but if the swans do pull off a result as Reading did earlier in the month, then he may well start to feel some pressure.

Fulham facts and stuff
Fulham used to be in Kent before it was moved to ‘Sarf Landan’ It’s a friendly place, full of people who want to run antique shops and deli’s that open for an hour on a Sunday morning. Bananarama live inside Craven Cottage and have done so since the cruel summer of 1983. An example of how posh the area is - The Hurlingham, which famous for polo, golf and croquet with its Georgian clubhouse nestled amongst stunning 42 acre grounds is in Fulham. It has a fifteen year waiting list. This of course is a long time to wait for anything. Especially for a snobby English game called croquet, by the time you get a game bats will have changed design dramatically. And probably be made out of cheese. Fulham is an area belonging to an Anglo-Saxon area called Fulla, but rather than the usual 'ham' meaning homestead, this one was originally 'hamm', signifying a bend in the river. Nothing like a bend in your river. Clearly this is wrong as it’s now historically accepted that Fulham changed its name in 1954 after the great riots of greatness. The riots were remembered as being so great they were copied in 1982 in Brixton which at the time was in Bedford.

Pruton’s pear shaped prediction
“Fulham have just slipped a little in recent games in terms of results, and have at times looked a little less than the sum of their parts. It just proves how tough this league is, considering there was early talk of how they may well have run away with it. “Swansea got back to winning ways on Saturday with a narrow victory over Huddersfield. It will have done Russell Martin the world of good in what is surely a season of consolidation for them, but I think Fulham will have too much at Craven Cottage.”

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/55887/fulham-v-swansea-c

Flynn gets down with the press

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/55903/swansea-city-fall-

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 12:52 - Sep 30 with 1158 viewsDr_Parnassus

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 12:41 - Sep 30 by JackDragon

If Cooper had got that squad playing to their capabilities we wouldn't be having this discussion because we'd probably have gained automatic promotion instead of falling way before the last hurdle and to top it off, having been given a second chance in a playoff final actually set his team up to fail instead of making it a contest. STID

We have a better squad now than we did last year. Without question.

The squad by far outstripped their potential, I still think it’s incredible we got to where we did.

There is absolutely no chance I would swap our £5m of signings this season in return for an Ayew 33 next year from the Middle East and Guehi on loan for a season.

Anyone who thinks we had a better squad last year is barking. Piroe, Downes, Pato, Laird and Ntcham.

What business did we have going up instead of Brentford who are holding their own in the top half of the Premier League?

None.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 12:58 - Sep 30 with 1155 viewsDr_Parnassus

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 12:47 - Sep 30 by A_Fans_Dad

What a great comment.
Outlining exactly what is wrong with Martin.
The part where you say "either Martin adapts and learns", he is a Manager, if just about every fan on here could look at that team and see that it wouldn't work with the players in the positions he put them why couldn't he?
How long do we wait to see when he will react to the game itself and give his players new instructions?
How long do we wait to see if he "learns" that playing players out of position not only affects the play on the field it also affects the confidence of the players as well?
How long before he learns that training and playing high intensity football with physically compromised players with histories of of being injury prone is going to lead to lot's of soft tissue injuries.?
In th mean time how low in the league to we drop and how big does the goal difference get?
If he suggests as a couple of previous managers have that "we just need to work harder" lookout.

Agreed.

It’s the excuses that annoy me. Fitness is the worst one. Get them fit then, it’s your 14th game coming up soon.

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 13:09 - Sep 30 with 1137 viewsswancity

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 12:52 - Sep 30 by Dr_Parnassus

The squad by far outstripped their potential, I still think it’s incredible we got to where we did.

There is absolutely no chance I would swap our £5m of signings this season in return for an Ayew 33 next year from the Middle East and Guehi on loan for a season.

Anyone who thinks we had a better squad last year is barking. Piroe, Downes, Pato, Laird and Ntcham.

What business did we have going up instead of Brentford who are holding their own in the top half of the Premier League?

None.

Our squad was stronger last season. Definitely better.

Connor Roberts, Jamal Lowe, Andre Ayew, Freddie Woodman, Marc Guehi, Wayne Routledge are all superior to what we have now.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 13:17 - Sep 30 with 1109 viewsDr_Parnassus

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 13:09 - Sep 30 by swancity

Our squad was stronger last season. Definitely better.

Connor Roberts, Jamal Lowe, Andre Ayew, Freddie Woodman, Marc Guehi, Wayne Routledge are all superior to what we have now.

Can’t agree.

There is absolutely no chance I would swap what we lost for what we have gained. Wouldn’t even take me a second to think.

We had the thinnest squad for some time last season, we didn’t even have a proper striker for most of the season after VG didn’t work out.

Routledge, Woodman and Lowe wouldn’t get into this team. Lowe was sold for that very reason, he didn’t fit.

So it’s a loaned Guehi, Roberts and Ayew is what we have lost…

and gained Ntcham, Obafemi, Piroe, Downes, Laird, Pato, Williams and Walsh.

Not even a contest.

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 13:27 - Sep 30 with 1113 viewsswancity

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 13:17 - Sep 30 by Dr_Parnassus

Can’t agree.

There is absolutely no chance I would swap what we lost for what we have gained. Wouldn’t even take me a second to think.

We had the thinnest squad for some time last season, we didn’t even have a proper striker for most of the season after VG didn’t work out.

Routledge, Woodman and Lowe wouldn’t get into this team. Lowe was sold for that very reason, he didn’t fit.

Not even a contest.

Laird is the only player we have signed who has improved the quality from last season.

We are missing Ayew Roberts and Guehi big time.

We are also missing Steve Cooper. Our defensive work last night was shockingly bad in that first half. Cabango especially was terrible.

I’m hoping that Russell Martin can turn it around but the club is not what it was. It’s clinging on in survival terms. Free transfers, loans. It’s not good.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 13:32 - Sep 30 with 1093 viewsDr_Parnassus

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 13:27 - Sep 30 by swancity

Laird is the only player we have signed who has improved the quality from last season.

We are missing Ayew Roberts and Guehi big time.

We are also missing Steve Cooper. Our defensive work last night was shockingly bad in that first half. Cabango especially was terrible.

I’m hoping that Russell Martin can turn it around but the club is not what it was. It’s clinging on in survival terms. Free transfers, loans. It’s not good.

Well Laird is in Roberts position, so we can’t be missing him if you think Laird has improved us.

Piroe is a better striker than forcing Ayew there.

I would say with certainty that he will beat Ayews goal tally from last year, and we are far less attacking this year.

Guehi we are missing, without a doubt. Fantastic player but wouldn’t swap him and Ayew for all those we have signed since. Downes looks like a wonderful talent.

Not sure what you mean about relying on loans and free transfers though. We have spent the third highest amount of any Championship club this year behind Fulham and Boro and have spent the second highest amount in our football league history.

If we think last years side should have been promoted then this one should be twice over.

We are certainly missing Cooper but it is what it is. Forest fans are in dreamland at the moment, some saying he is their favourite manager in decades.

We just need to get on with it and stop making excuses.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2021 13:34]

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 13:32 - Sep 30 with 1104 viewskrunchykarrot

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 13:17 - Sep 30 by Dr_Parnassus

Can’t agree.

Not even a contest.

I agree Doc, Downes to me looks the steal of the year with Ntcham not far behind. We still have Walsh who is a good player when fit as well. Piroe i would take over Ayew or Lowe as both of them frustrated the life out of me. Ghuehi is a big loss but we were never going to get him so Cooper will come in and develop.

The only point i disagree with is Wayne could play in this team/system like Kyle until they are 50. Its all about pace and teams that can control possesion and get in behind.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 13:52 - Sep 30 with 1082 viewsKeithHaynes

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Login to get fewer ads

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 14:05 - Sep 30 with 1064 viewsJackDragon

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 12:52 - Sep 30 by Dr_Parnassus

None.

Completely missing or avoiding the point. Our squad this year is better I would agree with you. My point is that if Cooper had chosen to play "football" as opposed to the Pulis/Warnock/Allardyce tripe there is no reason we couldn't have pushed for that second place which was within our grasp. We had the footballers to do it. STID.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 14:11 - Sep 30 with 1047 viewsDr_Parnassus

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 14:05 - Sep 30 by JackDragon

Completely missing or avoiding the point. Our squad this year is better I would agree with you. My point is that if Cooper had chosen to play "football" as opposed to the Pulis/Warnock/Allardyce tripe there is no reason we couldn't have pushed for that second place which was within our grasp. We had the footballers to do it. STID.

But again I disagree. Potter tried to play “football” in the traditional sense with an even better squad, and we came 10th. We had Roberts, Rodon, VdH, Dan James, McBurnie, Leroy Fer etc in that team.

The football being bad is largely a myth under Cooper, it was fine. A lot of it was based on defence but we were still attacking. We have had 25%+ more shots under Cooper at this point than Russell Martin managed and similar more than Potter too.

Potters reign coincided with Covid meaning there was no fans in the stadium and football in general was more boring, at every level.

Coopers plan was focussing on our strength which was our defensive game (we had no natural striker worthy of the role) while still posing an attacking threat. It’s exactly what Brendan did, low scoring, low conceding - high returns.

Coopers football was nothing like Pulis/Warnock/Allardyce, I’m not sure where that came from. I think people used it to slate him and it stuck for some reason, that’s why I try and ensure myths are nipped in the bud as once they grow people don’t question them.

We didn’t have a target man or striker so it would be no use playing long ball to a target man we didn’t have.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2021 14:13]

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 14:31 - Sep 30 with 1016 viewsonehunglow

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 14:11 - Sep 30 by Dr_Parnassus

But again I disagree. Potter tried to play “football” in the traditional sense with an even better squad, and we came 10th. We had Roberts, Rodon, VdH, Dan James, McBurnie, Leroy Fer etc in that team.

The football being bad is largely a myth under Cooper, it was fine. A lot of it was based on defence but we were still attacking. We have had 25%+ more shots under Cooper at this point than Russell Martin managed and similar more than Potter too.

Potters reign coincided with Covid meaning there was no fans in the stadium and football in general was more boring, at every level.

Coopers plan was focussing on our strength which was our defensive game (we had no natural striker worthy of the role) while still posing an attacking threat. It’s exactly what Brendan did, low scoring, low conceding - high returns.

Coopers football was nothing like Pulis/Warnock/Allardyce, I’m not sure where that came from. I think people used it to slate him and it stuck for some reason, that’s why I try and ensure myths are nipped in the bud as once they grow people don’t question them.

We didn’t have a target man or striker so it would be no use playing long ball to a target man we didn’t have.

I detested Cooper but I am of the belief now that Martin will be far worse and whilst we didnt really "suffer" we might well do with Martin as he is more arrogant clearly and certainly deluded or dumb.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 14:32 - Sep 30 with 1021 viewsJackDragon

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 14:11 - Sep 30 by Dr_Parnassus

At this point is a good place to start. Cooper won a third of a season's total of 18 wins in the first 10 games losing just 1 in his first FULL season with us. In his second stretch of 10 games his record is remarkably similar to RM's first 10 despite him having a settled previously winning team? Everything, especially the type of football being played went to shit. He was fortunate to win 4 of the last 6 games. No myths involved. Cooper chose not to play with a striker. The channels are great for long balls though. STID
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 14:39 - Sep 30 with 999 viewsDr_Parnassus

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 14:32 - Sep 30 by JackDragon

At this point is a good place to start. Cooper won a third of a season's total of 18 wins in the first 10 games losing just 1 in his first FULL season with us. In his second stretch of 10 games his record is remarkably similar to RM's first 10 despite him having a settled previously winning team? Everything, especially the type of football being played went to shit. He was fortunate to win 4 of the last 6 games. No myths involved. Cooper chose not to play with a striker. The channels are great for long balls though. STID

In which way do you think his second lot of 10 games was “remarkably similar” to Martins?

And why are we comparing periods from different points in the season? Comparing Coopers 11th-20th set to Martins 1st - 10th?

We didn’t play wingers either so no use in lumping balls down the channels.

Coopers teams averaged around 12% long balls from memory. In both our league wins this season we have averaged higher than that.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2021 14:43]

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 14:43 - Sep 30 with 1003 viewsJackDragon

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 14:39 - Sep 30 by Dr_Parnassus

In which way do you think his second lot of 10 games was “remarkably similar” to Martins?

And why are we comparing periods from different points in the season? Comparing Coopers 11th-20th set to Martins 1st - 10th?

We didn’t play wingers either so no use in lumping balls down the channels.

Coopers teams averaged around 12% long balls from memory. In both our league wins this season we have averaged higher than that.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2021 14:43]

2 wins, 3 draws and 5 defeats. STID
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 14:49 - Sep 30 with 987 viewsDr_Parnassus

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 14:43 - Sep 30 by JackDragon

2 wins, 3 draws and 5 defeats. STID

But why are we comparing different points in the season is what I’m trying to understand.

By that time we had already already got 21 points on the board hadn’t we?

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 15:05 - Sep 30 with 988 viewsJackDragon

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 14:49 - Sep 30 by Dr_Parnassus

But why are we comparing different points in the season is what I’m trying to understand.

By that time we had already already got 21 points on the board hadn’t we?

Correct. Cooper started the season with a settled football playing side and bore the fruits of that in the opening 10 games. Once he'd stamped his authority on the squad and style of play it became increasingly pear shaped. STID
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 15:07 - Sep 30 with 975 viewsDr_Parnassus

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 15:05 - Sep 30 by JackDragon

Correct. Cooper started the season with a settled football playing side and bore the fruits of that in the opening 10 games. Once he'd stamped his authority on the squad and style of play it became increasingly pear shaped. STID

No he didn’t.

He took over a squad that had 23 changes from the season before.

Martin had taken over a squad that had 13 changes.

It’s a myth.

We ended up in the playoffs which was a massive improvement on the season before under Potter. The season after we improved again and finished 4th and got to the playoff final.

Nothing went pear-shaped.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2021 15:11]

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 15:30 - Sep 30 with 966 viewsEvs

Season 20/21.

Coops' first 36 league games: W21, D9, L6, Goals 47:25 = 72 pts
We were ranked 2nd in the division over that period.

Coops' last 10 leagues games: W2, D2, L6, Goals 9:15 = 8 pts
We were ranked 20th in the division over that period.

The change in form is absolutely stark. From sublime to...well, you know the rest.

We don't have Martin's full first season data yet, but his first 10 games is a very marginal improvement over Coops' last 10 games:

RM: W2, D4, L4: 10 pts

To be frank, though, our last 20 leagues games makes for uncomfortable reading.

I'm still happily chewing my "nothing burger", mind
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 15:36 - Sep 30 with 963 viewsJackDragon

My apologies, your right and I've done a disservice to messer's Pulis/Warnock and Allardyce. Their long balls had purpose where as ours were hopeful punts/panicked clearances. As for the Cooper comparison with Rodger's. Did you type that with a straight face?
I think you'll find Clement is a far better comparison for Cooperball when it comes to set up and style of play. STID.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 16:35 - Sep 30 with 918 viewsonehunglow

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 15:36 - Sep 30 by JackDragon

My apologies, your right and I've done a disservice to messer's Pulis/Warnock and Allardyce. Their long balls had purpose where as ours were hopeful punts/panicked clearances. As for the Cooper comparison with Rodger's. Did you type that with a straight face?
I think you'll find Clement is a far better comparison for Cooperball when it comes to set up and style of play. STID.

Those 3 managers all had success .
For a reason.
They knew what they were doing.
They were hardened managers the like of which we should have had as soon as we got relegated.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 20:12 - Sep 30 with 829 viewsmagicdaps10

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 15:30 - Sep 30 by Evs

Season 20/21.

The change in form is absolutely stark. From sublime to...well, you know the rest.

We don't have Martin's full first season data yet, but his first 10 games is a very marginal improvement over Coops' last 10 games:

Quite sobering Coopers last 10 games and the outcome.

Very sobering indeed.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 20:15 - Sep 30 with 825 viewsmagicdaps10

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 00:07 - Sep 30 by AndyCole

For a team that's achieved Play Off accolades in the past two seasons, this is all too poor. The Martin love-in simply has to stop. It's embarrassing.

Such a drastic slump in achievement and performance. We're in the bottom tranche, ffs. Unheard of.

The manager is without question to blame. Utterly egotistical. Utterly clueless in being pragmatic. A shockingly poor trait as manager.

The manager is deficient in knowing how to revert to a Winning Formula. He ain't no Pep where Plan A wins. He quickly needs to box clever and find a Winning Formula. The sheer arrogance of assuming his Plan A will always prevail, in this league. FFS, get a grip.

Martin ain't no Messiah, despite what some so blindly bleat.

It's not the same team as the last 2 seasons so that is as far as I will read that post.

Quicker fans realise that this team is different and can't be compared to the orevious 2 season..... the quicker they will realise the challenges at hand.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 23:39 - Sep 30 with 737 viewsDr_Parnassus

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 15:36 - Sep 30 by JackDragon

Apology accepted.

Which comparison are you talking about? The one where I said both blueprints are a tight defence and a meagre attack? Of course the comparison is valid, would you like the stats?

I already gave you the stat on the long ball myth. 12% season average, less than both our league wins this season.

Not sure what you are crying about really.

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 23:43 - Sep 30 with 735 viewsDr_Parnassus

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 15:30 - Sep 30 by Evs

Season 20/21.

That’s what happens in football, it’s called form.

We have Coopers complete back to back seasons data, the form peaks and valleys led us to 6th and 4th. Two excellent achievements.

Martins complete data is his complete reign so far, nobody knows when his reign will end so it would be silly to predict and then only use up to that mythical data.

Cherry picking a portion of a season is very much a nothing burger, when you have the seasons data at your disposal.

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 00:15 - Oct 1 with 728 viewsEvs

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 23:43 - Sep 30 by Dr_Parnassus

That’s what happens in football, it’s called form.

We have Coopers complete back to back seasons data, the form peaks and valleys led us to 6th and 4th. Two excellent achievements.

Martins complete data is his complete reign so far, nobody knows when his reign will end so it would be silly to predict and then only use up to that mythical data.

Cherry picking a portion of a season is very much a nothing burger, when you have the seasons data at your disposal.

Wow, form varies throughout the season?

Highlighting Cooper's first 36 games (excellent achievement) and his last 10 (absolutely woeful) clearly isn't cherry picking, particularly as RM has now completed his first 10 league games.

No myths here. No nonsense. Just facts (and we all love facts).

As you were.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024