Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Death of the 'Left' 01:24 - Sep 27 with 7379 viewsKerouac

It seems to me that Brexit sounds the final bell for the 'Left wing' in this country.

They have deserted their principles,
deserted their voters,
deserted democracy,
deserted the real world (evident in Parliament right now as they prefer to exist in their bubble, enjoying the platform and the sound of their own voices...pretending they haven't got to face the public)

My questions for you to discuss;
Will the Labour Party be destroyed at the coming election?
Will they continue to be the opposition?
When are we likely to see a left-wing government in this country again?

This fella seems to have summed it up as well as anyone...

This post has been edited by an administrator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

The Death of the 'Left' on 22:18 - Sep 27 with 1198 viewsLeonWasGod

The Death of the 'Left' on 18:42 - Sep 27 by A_Fans_Dad

Wow what a rant, of course the UK did really well under Blair & Brown didn't we?
They virtually killed the NHS and Schools with their PFI initiative.
To say nothing of flogging our Gold, Brown sold of public assets to raise £16Billion.
Then there was that little illegal war that Balir got us in to, for which he should have faced a War Crimes tribunal.

I was no New Labour fan, but society (us) and our services were generally doing better than over the last 10 years. You’re on rocky ground trying to score points with PFI, seeing the Tories brought it in and Osborne relied heavily on it to try and massage the deficit figures (as did Brown, heavily).
The Death of the 'Left' on 23:08 - Sep 27 with 1148 viewsDJack

The Death of the 'Left' on 06:58 - Sep 27 by Jack_Meoff

Nearly ten years of these c*nts. Nearly ten years of these bastards killing off vulnerable people with their policies. Ten years of them selling off every possible public asset they possibly can. We've gotten to a point (for example) where the public, having paid for 'our' railway infrastructure, now pay sky high prices that benefit the treasuries of other countries. Not even Thatcher would have privatised the 'Queen's Head' either. Cameron had no such qualms.

Ten years of deliberate underfunding of the NHS after introducing private firms via the Health and Social Care Act 2012 - voted on by many with vested interests in private healthcare companies.

Ten years of the academisation of education (in England, at least); essentially just yet another way of funnelling public money into private hands.

We've also seen the Lib Dem lickspittles enabling them; being complicit in trebling tuition fees despite them pledging not to. Hope it was worth it Nick, five years of Mephistophelian power. (I'm not sure if that's a word, it's early.)

Let's not forget the wrecking ball they've taken to the justice system in this country either. Read 'The Secret Barrister' if you want the whole sorry saga.

And there's Brexit. People actually think that a man who used to belong to a club whose initiation ceremony involved burning £50 notes in front of the homeless is somehow being denied 'the will of the people.' What part of 'he's representing currency speculators' is tricky to grasp? A bought and paid for whore to finance, suckling on the teat of Mammon like most soulless Tories are wont.

Then we get people who, after nearly ten years are pointing the finger at other parties; parties that have not been in power during that time. F*ck off. And when you get there, f*ck off some more.

The whole left/right paradigm is essentially moribund these days anyway, surely? Just more divide and conquer bullshit. What do the Tories actually have to do with small 'c' conservatism? Absolutely nothing. Whores to finance - always have been, always will be. If the veil hasn't lifted at the present time it's clear it never will.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2019 9:23]

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

The Death of the 'Left' on 23:31 - Sep 27 with 1127 viewsepaul

Nearly ten years of these c*nts. Nearly ten years of these bastards killing off vulnerable people with their policies. Ten years of them selling off every possible public asset they possibly can. We've gotten to a point (for example) where the public, having paid for 'our' railway infrastructure, now pay sky high prices that benefit the treasuries of other countries. Not even Thatcher would have privatised the 'Queen's Head' either. Cameron had no such qualms.

Ten years of deliberate underfunding of the NHS after introducing private firms via the Health and Social Care Act 2012 - voted on by many with vested interests in private healthcare companies.

Ten years of the academisation of education (in England, at least); essentially just yet another way of funnelling public money into private hands.

We've also seen the Lib Dem lickspittles enabling them; being complicit in trebling tuition fees despite them pledging not to. Hope it was worth it Nick, five years of Mephistophelian power. (I'm not sure if that's a word, it's early.)

Let's not forget the wrecking ball they've taken to the justice system in this country either. Read 'The Secret Barrister' if you want the whole sorry saga.

And there's Brexit. People actually think that a man who used to belong to a club whose initiation ceremony involved burning £50 notes in front of the homeless is somehow being denied 'the will of the people.' What part of 'he's representing currency speculators' is tricky to grasp? A bought and paid for whore to finance, suckling on the teat of Mammon like most soulless Tories are wont.

Then we get people who, after nearly ten years are pointing the finger at other parties; parties that have not been in power during that time. F*ck off. And when you get there, f*ck off some more.

The whole left/right paradigm is essentially moribund these days anyway, surely? Just more divide and conquer bullshit. What do the Tories actually have to do with small 'c' conservatism? Absolutely nothing. Whores to finance - always have been, always will be. If the veil hasn't lifted at the present time it's clear it never will.

Post of the year 👏👏👏👏👏 f*ckofftories

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

The Death of the 'Left' on 00:21 - Sep 28 with 1093 viewsBrynCartwright

The Death of the 'Left' on 23:31 - Sep 27 by epaul

Post of the year 👏👏👏👏👏 f*ckofftories

A Tory in Wales is like an outcrop of Japanese Knot Weed. Difficult to eradicate but after a lot of work it's fecked

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

The Death of the 'Left' on 00:28 - Sep 28 with 1087 viewsBrynCartwright

As far as I am concerned all Welsh Tories (that have remained in their sad party after what has happened recently) can feck off and live in England. If they actually get what they wish, Scotland will decide to leave the UK, Wales will be pretty close to following them, and Northern Ireland will be a battlefield. Cummings is an absolute cant.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

The Death of the 'Left' on 08:58 - Sep 28 with 1028 viewsepaul

The Death of the 'Left' on 00:21 - Sep 28 by BrynCartwright

A Tory in Wales is like an outcrop of Japanese Knot Weed. Difficult to eradicate but after a lot of work it's fecked

Tell me about it, I come under the Vale og Glamorgan and we have a Tory MP, unbelieveable, how the loving f uck can people in this part of the world vote as such

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

The Death of the 'Left' on 09:22 - Sep 28 with 1018 viewsKilkennyjack

Outstanding post.

But what should we do about these far right English nationalists ?

IndyWales is needed. Now.

Beware of the Risen People

The Death of the 'Left' on 09:24 - Sep 28 with 1016 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Death of the 'Left' on 18:42 - Sep 27 by A_Fans_Dad

Wow what a rant, of course the UK did really well under Blair & Brown didn't we?
They virtually killed the NHS and Schools with their PFI initiative.
To say nothing of flogging our Gold, Brown sold of public assets to raise £16Billion.
Then there was that little illegal war that Balir got us in to, for which he should have faced a War Crimes tribunal.

Blair and Brown were as left as Margaret Thatcher. Sorry, Maggie was further left, my mistake.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Login to get fewer ads

The Death of the 'Left' on 09:30 - Sep 28 with 1012 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Death of the 'Left' on 17:27 - Sep 27 by AnotherJohn

We have indeed gone through difficult times. On the Left some things have stayed the same, some have changed. Yet to my eye there was more integrity in the old order. People like Jack don’t seem to me to know their own history.

Three political Giants of the Labour movement and all completely correct. I used to be brainwashed into thinking Benn was a communist until I actually started listening to him. We've lost a great man and a true political genius there.

Corbyn, instead of keeping his nerve and committing to leaving the EU (after obviously negotiating for a good deal with the threat of no deal on the table) has blinked under pressure from the PLP.

This isn't going to end well for him or the party at the polls.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The Death of the 'Left' on 10:40 - Sep 28 with 979 viewsblackswan

The Death of the 'Left' on 09:30 - Sep 28 by Brynmill_Jack

Three political Giants of the Labour movement and all completely correct. I used to be brainwashed into thinking Benn was a communist until I actually started listening to him. We've lost a great man and a true political genius there.

Corbyn, instead of keeping his nerve and committing to leaving the EU (after obviously negotiating for a good deal with the threat of no deal on the table) has blinked under pressure from the PLP.

I'm not sure about that I can see the remain vote
Going to the parties that give them the best chance of staying in over normal party allegiances I can see a labour lib dems coalition giving a second referendum assuming boris hasn't crashed us out. I would prefer Corbyn whom I dislike and remain than the buffoon. Like a lot of people I have spoken to voted leave now the situation is clear of the bull shyte I would vote remain as I firmly believe the country would
The Death of the 'Left' on 10:46 - Sep 28 with 974 viewsKerouac

The Death of the 'Left' on 09:30 - Sep 28 by Brynmill_Jack

Magnificent speech from Peter Shore wasn't it.

Tony Benn was superb also, I am sure he would have been thoroughly ashamed of the actions of his spineless son.

The Death of the 'Left' on 10:56 - Sep 28 with 965 viewsHighjack

The Death of the 'Left' on 10:46 - Sep 28 by Kerouac

Tony Benn was superb also, I am sure he would have been thoroughly ashamed of the actions of his spineless son.

How many of our current crop could speak like that these days? Especially without notes and an army of aides, PR gurus and advisors frantically gesticulating to them from behind the camera.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The Death of the 'Left' on 11:13 - Sep 28 with 948 viewsKerouac

The Death of the 'Left' on 10:56 - Sep 28 by Highjack

How many of our current crop could speak like that these days? Especially without notes and an army of aides, PR gurus and advisors frantically gesticulating to them from behind the camera.

Part of the reasons for that lie in our membership of the European Union (in my opinion).
Our politicians have become homogenised.
They are all painfully aware of the limited options available to the British government whilst constrained by European law and over the years this has led to a 'can't be arsed' culture.

The only thing they get genuinely passionate about on the left these days is identity politics.

Do you remember Jeremy Corbyn's rise to become Labour leader?
He, and his team, were putting forward policy ideas that a Labour government would not be able to implement whilst UK was in the EU.
These ideas were popular and helped him win with Labour Party members.
The PLP however were never on board with Jezza.
Join the dots.

The Death of the 'Left' on 11:23 - Sep 28 with 932 viewsJack_Meoff

The Death of the 'Left' on 17:27 - Sep 27 by AnotherJohn

We have indeed gone through difficult times. On the Left some things have stayed the same, some have changed. Yet to my eye there was more integrity in the old order. People like Jack don’t seem to me to know their own history.

My post/rant only briefly touched on Europe though. There's another thread for that isn't there?

It was more frustration about the fact that whatever the Tories have done over the last ten years, the OP is probably right, depressingly. They'll continue to take their wrecking ball to the country with the blessing of the public. Although Brexit of course has and is overshadowing everything and has divided the country even further.

Like I said though - in what way are they right wing as in small 'c' conservative? When did 'spiteful, criminal ideologue' become an euphemism for 'right wing?' It seems they're using this terminology as an excuse to do whatever they like.

Speaking of history, I re-read 'The Road to Wigan Pier' earlier this year. One of the things that struck me was that it could have almost, in some respects, been written today. Exactly the same arguments and bickering about the left/right paradigm you see on this board would have occurred in the taverns etc of the day. It's almost like those who control us have been doing it for a while, and they're bloody good at it, aren't they!
[Post edited 28 Sep 2019 11:31]

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

The Death of the 'Left' on 11:55 - Sep 28 with 910 viewsAnotherJohn

The Death of the 'Left' on 11:23 - Sep 28 by Jack_Meoff

My post/rant only briefly touched on Europe though. There's another thread for that isn't there?

It was more frustration about the fact that whatever the Tories have done over the last ten years, the OP is probably right, depressingly. They'll continue to take their wrecking ball to the country with the blessing of the public. Although Brexit of course has and is overshadowing everything and has divided the country even further.

Like I said though - in what way are they right wing as in small 'c' conservative? When did 'spiteful, criminal ideologue' become an euphemism for 'right wing?' It seems they're using this terminology as an excuse to do whatever they like.

Speaking of history, I re-read 'The Road to Wigan Pier' earlier this year. One of the things that struck me was that it could have almost, in some respects, been written today. Exactly the same arguments and bickering about the left/right paradigm you see on this board would have occurred in the taverns etc of the day. It's almost like those who control us have been doing it for a while, and they're bloody good at it, aren't they!

What is the thread about? Well it seemed to me that the OP was saying that Brexit poses a threat to a modern Left that has become detached from its traditional voters and Labour Party history, and so I wanted to recall that history. My take is that if Brexit damages the modern Left that would be largely self-inflicted, and connected to the emergence of a new orthodoxy that appeals to middle-class supporters in southern cities who are more interested in identity politics than the old class-based issues of economics, income equality and opportunity. There was quite a lot in your post I agree with, What I wrote was more a reaction to the recent treatment of Left Leave and others who dissent from this new orthodoxy. Personally I am attracted to the now reviled policies of 'Blue Labour', whose commentators seem to me to have correctly identified what Labour has done to alienate its traditional base.

Anyway soon time for the important thing .. the match.
The Death of the 'Left' on 12:08 - Sep 28 with 893 viewsKilkennyjack

The Death of the 'Left' on 10:46 - Sep 28 by Kerouac

He would be proud of standing up to Johnson, Farage, and Mogg. Very proud.

Beware of the Risen People

The Death of the 'Left' on 12:17 - Sep 28 with 884 viewsKerouac

The Death of the 'Left' on 11:55 - Sep 28 by AnotherJohn

What is the thread about? Well it seemed to me that the OP was saying that Brexit poses a threat to a modern Left that has become detached from its traditional voters and Labour Party history, and so I wanted to recall that history. My take is that if Brexit damages the modern Left that would be largely self-inflicted, and connected to the emergence of a new orthodoxy that appeals to middle-class supporters in southern cities who are more interested in identity politics than the old class-based issues of economics, income equality and opportunity. There was quite a lot in your post I agree with, What I wrote was more a reaction to the recent treatment of Left Leave and others who dissent from this new orthodoxy. Personally I am attracted to the now reviled policies of 'Blue Labour', whose commentators seem to me to have correctly identified what Labour has done to alienate its traditional base.

Anyway soon time for the important thing .. the match.

Quite.

I had considered that I might call the thread 'The Deaf of the Left', amounts to the same thing really.

The Death of the 'Left' on 12:22 - Sep 28 with 875 viewsLohengrin

The Death of the 'Left' on 11:23 - Sep 28 by Jack_Meoff

I’ve watched you over the last eighteen months to two years through your reading, and by increment, turn into me.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The Death of the 'Left' on 12:44 - Sep 28 with 859 viewsKerouac

The Death of the 'Left' on 17:19 - Sep 28 with 804 viewsNookiejack

The Tories became New Labour a number of years ago so the left are already in control. The Left’s revolution has been delivered, destruction of the family unit, Introduction of the European Arrest warrant which totally undermines Habeous Corpus. Mass immigration which has changed traditional social conservatism of the UK population. London is now totally Labour (ie the Communists).

The left has won.
The Death of the 'Left' on 17:23 - Sep 28 with 800 viewsMrSwerve

Does this site actually have mods?

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

The Death of the 'Left' on 17:30 - Sep 28 with 785 viewsbluey_the_blue

The Death of the 'Left' on 22:18 - Sep 27 by LeonWasGod

I was no New Labour fan, but society (us) and our services were generally doing better than over the last 10 years. You’re on rocky ground trying to score points with PFI, seeing the Tories brought it in and Osborne relied heavily on it to try and massage the deficit figures (as did Brown, heavily).

Tories did indeed bring in PFI under Major. It was however, not that widely used. PFI exploded under Labour... then less deals were brought in when Tories back in power.
The Death of the 'Left' on 17:41 - Sep 28 with 768 viewsDrGonzo

I'm more enthused with the death of the conservative party.
The Death of the 'Left' on 17:53 - Sep 28 with 756 viewsladyjack

The left died in this country in 1983.
The Berlin wall came down in 1989.
The USSR collapsed in 1991.
Hong Kong was passed to the China in 1997 and stayed capitalist.

This post is 30 odd years out of date.

NuLabour, Conservatives, Lib-Dems, Brexit party, UKIP etc are all right wing, the state broadcaster is right wing, most of the national newspapers are right wing and the EU is right wing.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2019 22:42]
The Death of the 'Left' on 18:30 - Sep 28 with 728 viewsJack_Meoff

The Death of the 'Left' on 12:22 - Sep 28 by Lohengrin

I’ve watched you over the last eighteen months to two years through your reading, and by increment, turn into me.

I have always looked at you as some Yoda type figure, in fairness. Just a bit more wizened but with added booze, fags and Brylcreem.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024